Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat josh brolin is just perfect for this role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

drat josh brolin is just perfect for this role

He really does have "angry cowboy" down pat doesn't he?

Imogen Poots is just weird as gently caress too

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
eat the magic time dust, royal. eat it!!!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hipster Occultist posted:

For the first three episodes I was wondering if she was just bad but now I’m leaning toward being great at constantly teetering on the edge of turning into a quickly snowballing hot mess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird how in Royal's vision of the future Autumn still had the necklace.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Catching up on the show. I just cant force myself to give two shits about Perry. Not sure if its the writing or the actor, or maybe both.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
There is something about this show that just hits right for me.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

There is something about this show that just hits right for me.

Same. I am really enjoying it. This is exactly my type of jam.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird how in Royal's vision of the future Autumn still had the necklace.

I always suspected she travels into the past (or current time, whatever you want to call it) sometime after the point at which we see her in the future. So when we saw her in the future, she hadn't lost the necklace yet.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm starting to think there is more then one Autumn or she's spending years elsewhere between two scenes that take place the same day or week.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Seems likely, as the phenomenon going on seems to mess with people's minds in negative ways.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So is Autumn actually Amy come back from the future to try to fix things?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So is Autumn actually Amy come back from the future to try to fix things?

Yeah I will be surprised if Autumn is not actually Amy, seems to fit too well.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My wife suggested maybe Autumn and Royal are also siblings or somehow connected in a much earlier time and somehow got separated by traveling/aging forward at different rates, e.g., one of them found the hole before the other and passed through.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

My wife suggested maybe Autumn and Royal are also siblings or somehow connected in a much earlier time and somehow got separated by traveling/aging forward at different rates, e.g., one of them found the hole before the other and passed through.

That’s what my wife thought too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume we're going to get a full Autumn backstory episode sometime soon.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Havent even seen it just going by the OP but man it really feels like this is just the year of the Lost vibe huh? Yellowjackets, From and Severance all really scratched that Lost itch for me so hoping this one does also. Also it's Josh Brolin so I'm expecting good things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do think Royal maybe knows more than he lets on seeing as his questions for Autumn were pretty specific (the stuff about cults and the color yellow.) There's also the part where it seems like he hasn't been telling the truth about his childhood memory loss.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I do think Royal maybe knows more than he lets on seeing as his questions for Autumn were pretty specific (the stuff about cults and the color yellow.)

Those questions are all from his brief time in (what was almost certainly) the future.

He saw her there, with a bunch of other people, all wearing the same yellow robes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
WHATS IN THE CROCK POT

Edit: Fine season. Didn't open too many weird questions a la Lost. You could end it now or keep going I guess. I give it 3/5 Severances.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So now everyone loses their goddamn mind. Everyone? EVERYONE.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the episodes weren't bad or anything like that I do feel like it was unsatisfying as a finale.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I was pretty okay with the last couple episodes, but not blown away

I'll still tune in next season

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What in the gently caress? This whole show is built on people making lovely decisions but the last two episodes are just bizzaro world, everyone is irrational as poo poo in every action they take. What do the bears have to do with anything? What’s in the crockpot? What’s with the owls?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The mother bear is losing her cub, who Royal’s wife talks to when she feels like she is losing her own children.

The crock pot is shaking because of the massive buffalo stampede in the past, I think. I guess there are spots where the separation between time gets “thinner”, like in King fiction?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

The crock pot is shaking because of the massive buffalo stampede in the past, I think. I guess there are spots where the separation between time gets “thinner”, like in King fiction?

Honestly I just assumed someone put one of the magic rocks in there and it's a bomb of some kind.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly I just assumed someone put one of the magic rocks in there and it's a bomb of some kind.
Yeah at the start of the episode she was making food with Amy despite everything already going to poo poo so that the family could eat together "because that's what families do" and loaded the crock pot then. But yeah maybe the buffalo were causing it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh the bear thing is totally obvious now. Maybe I shouldn’t be so stoned when I watch this show.

I guess in the next season we’ll find out why Autumn/Amy is so manic (although the events in the last couple days of the series are plenty to gently caress someone’s brain up for life) and maybe why she and Billy are such gross and terrible kissers.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
eat the magic time dust, smash that pooty and run with the buffalo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought that was a muddled limp noodle of a finale. The series started strong but got way too high on its own potenuse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the rest of the finale was eh I couldn't stop laughing at how bad Autumn and Billy were at kissing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

While the rest of the finale was eh I couldn't stop laughing at how bad Autumn and Billy were at kissing.

No kidding. That scene where they break away the sloppy kiss and the bank teller is standing between them, then Billy bursts into song.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I took that whole last episode as fantasy, everyone getting what they wanted or thought they deserved. Those sloppy make out sessions seemed like what dude thinks a hot hetero world saving couple would look like.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like the weird of this show but i hate siging guy and the constant reminders that yes, they do indeed live in rural America

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That last episode I got the feeling the writers were thinking, how can we make something as cringy as James Hurley’s “Just You and I” but update it by a couple of decades?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I thought that was a muddled limp noodle of a finale. The series started strong but got way too high on its own potenuse.

Yeah same.

Yeah also same.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It was just so bad and then the singing. I can get on board with it being a fantasy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if I'd call it "bad" per se. It's clearly purposefully weird af -- doesn't the singing start in the soundtrack and then suddenly the guy picks up the song diegetically?

I guess it's meant to be a weird, Lynch-y way of capturing the madness of love, or whatever.

It's also, you know, capturing the hosed up time traveller's wife aspect of the relationship.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That wasn't terrible, but overall it was less than the sum of its parts. It wasn't as pulpy and nuts as From or as polished and tight as Severance. The weirdness wasn't weird enough, the drama wasn't dramatic enough, and the mysteries weren't mysterious enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Slamhound posted:

That wasn't terrible, but overall it was less than the sum of its parts. It wasn't as pulpy and nuts as From or as polished and tight as Severance. The weirdness wasn't weird enough, the drama wasn't dramatic enough, and the mysteries weren't mysterious enough.

Of the new mystery shows we've received so far this year, I'd have to rank them:

1. Severance
2. From
3. Outer Range

Now, I need to find a new one.