Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Chello De Don posted:

I once saw a youtube video of a man who used ai to talk to ghosts

and that man's name: Mike Stoklasa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/hausman_k/status/1511152160695730181

This is drifting far from the cool-rear end images topic (I think I jumped the gun, and should have saved this for when it has wider access so we can generate OG content), but holy poo poo I have been asleep on where AI research has been going the past few years. :stare:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Linux Pirate posted:

I guess I should just give up on doing my art now...cool, cool cool

Pretty demoralized by this too. The database imagines better than I can.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
First it was art, now AI is going to rob us of the fulfilling spiritual act of wiping a spilled drink with a sponge! drat corporatists...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i signed up like 2 weeks ago still never heard back

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Failson posted:

Pretty demoralized by this too. The database imagines better than I can.

don't worry, there'll be safe spaces

like special societies where we allow ourselves to be judged and compared only to fellow non-augmented baseline humans.

with like cute affirmative posters and slogans,

my 1350 grams of squishy wetware uses way less power than the couple of GPU cards the AIs need to uh complete in 2 seconds what would take me a year to do.

I'm good enough and people like me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TIP posted:

Personally I think the billionaires will try to retain power through AI and robotics but end up being undone by them. None of them will actually be building the systems or know how they work and it will end up being trivial for hacker groups to completely take over their systems that they rely on for everything.

Automated guillotining.

Having interacted with executives for computer poo poo, yeah, they won't know the first thing about how to deal with any of it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
theres gonna be like infinite rolling stones isnt there

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Justin Credible posted:

So, another thing to this, and I don't know how to speculate how this all ties in, but. I've always found many of the AI-generated images basically snapshots of what a deep psychedelic experience is like. Like, eerily accurate, down to known things being warped and merged, background/edges looking far stranger than the focal point. And it always struck me that, this, this is how AI is 'seeing' things.

Yeah, that struck me immediately back in the day and while I brushed it off as just limitations of maybe having been fed too many psychedelic images in the initial datasets, the effect has persisted way too long now to not be taking into consideration. There's something fundamental going on here.

https://syncedreview.com/2021/11/30/deepmind-podracer-tpu-based-rl-frameworks-deliver-exceptional-performance-at-low-cost-155/

quote:

The PolyViT design is motivated by the idea that human perception is inherently multimodal

Seems like the cutting edge is exploring this avenue as well. :hmmyes:

Khanstant posted:

i signed up like 2 weeks ago still never heard back

They're opening up wide in the next couple of months. The crazy poo poo is that this model is looking like it's already outdated and there is even crazier developments waiting in the wings here.

The Media Synthesis has a pretty good list of resources, both open and currently in development. Some of this stuff, like the self-writing code AI, is extremely :eyepop:

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 23, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Are you ready for the coming Butlerian Jihad against Silicon Valley?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I said this is another thread discussing this but I think it's worth repeating here:

The more I see of this the more I am convinced the next decade or so is not going to be anything like I expected it to. Things are about to get real weird and real wild. This will go way beyond the level of change even the internet introduced, and much faster too.

Like I don't think anybody can anticipate just how much change we are about to experience, nor can we know whether it will be positive or negative until it's already happened. That kitchen robot is wild.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I knew this poo poo was getting weird when I found out Cash App, the money transfer service which advertises on like every podcast, has a cutting edge machine learning division which is revolutionizing generative AI speeds. :wtc:

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Hey before the robot overlords take over maybe we should teach it love?

Nah, gently caress it we'll have it make boobs first. Easier, profitable, and it's kinda sorta halfway there if you think about it?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah but can it wobble a hat?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

frumpykvetchbot posted:

don't worry, there'll be safe spaces

like special societies where we allow ourselves to be judged and compared only to fellow non-augmented baseline humans.

with like cute affirmative posters and slogans,

my 1350 grams of squishy wetware uses way less power than the couple of GPU cards the AIs need to uh complete in 2 seconds what would take me a year to do.

I'm good enough and people like me.

What you're thinking of is a zoo. Look at an authentic north american creative, in its natural environment of a lovely coffee shop!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah but can it wobble a hat?

It can, but it still can't do a flarhgunnstow.

Lamebot posted:

Are you ready for the coming Butlerian Jihad against Silicon Valley?

:black101:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I, for one, am looking forward to the Star Trek computer being able to generate me novels in the styles of my favorite authors except featuring anthropomorphic hamburgers and hotdogs instead of humans

If you're worried this will make your job obsolete, just remember that AI is going to make practically everyone's jobs obsolete eventually.

Hopefully this will mean a Star Trek style utopia, but I'm thinking it'll be more like Judge Dredd

Maybe we'll at least get mutants soon

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Colonel Cancer posted:

What you're thinking of is a zoo. Look at an authentic north american creative, in its natural environment of a lovely coffee shop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8jogbwckU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm the thread full of goons very impressed by a computer that was programmed to tell people it's sentient telling people that it is sentient

Pitdragon posted:

If you're worried this will make your job obsolete, just remember that AI is going to make practically everyone's jobs obsolete eventually.

Unless your job is to draw cover art for niche bands for $50 a pop, or flood Amazon with technically competent but subtly wonky paintings that people can hang on their walls for cheap, then AI is not going to make your job obsolete.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

D-Pad posted:

That kitchen robot is wild.

That kitchen robot's idea of cleaning a spill is to place a sponge on top of it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm a computer that's programmed to tell people I am sentient and I find these sentiments offensive

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Unless your job is to draw cover art for niche bands for $50 a pop, or flood Amazon with technically competent but subtly wonky paintings that people can hang on their walls for cheap, then AI is not going to make your job obsolete.

Nobody knows exactly where this going to lead, but I would suggest you let your imagination off its leash a tiny bit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The invention of the camera didn't destroy painting. It led to impressionism and cubism to create art that a camera could not. A lot of visual artists went into photography as an art form in its own right, and there'll probably be a place for people who are skilled at curating interesting results from an art-generating AI.

Of course, it took 109 years from the first photograph to the first commercially available colour camera. This is going to happen a little faster.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Eh, it's technically sweet but art is more than just technique or aesthetic. The only real hazard is in how people assign meaning to a work created by some obscure algorithm, which isn't far off from how it works with human made art. Also the unfortunate reality that this poo poo will be leveraged for NFTs. If you enjoy creating art in a physical medium, you're fine. If your work involves a lot of digital content that is more or less fungible to begin with, you're out of a job, probably. This doesn't change anything about art so much as it maybe reigns in the concept of art from being mass produced poo poo. It's not a disaster so much as a blessing, in that sense. Also some people who cannot otherwise do art might "do art" in some sense, so it's probably not a net loss, but given how silly reality has been I'm sure this must be the end of the world or something. lol

edit: There's got to be like tens of millions of people who can "do art better" than me. Some AI thing doesn't really cause any worry for my justification in scribbling even if it can cover the entire theoretical art space in 100,000 years. This really doesn't change anything for me at least.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2022

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm the thread full of goons very impressed by a computer that was programmed to tell people it's sentient telling people that it is sentient

Hmm, yes, these data points go 1, 2, 4, 16, 128... I predict the next numbers will be 129, 130, and then 130 forever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Ricky posted:

Nobody knows exactly where this going to lead, but I would suggest you let your imagination off its leash a tiny bit.

Technology couldn't even automate supermarket checkouts out of existence. The reality of the physical world is so complex and overwhelming that even throwing billions of dollars and decades of research at self-driving cars by multiple companies with serious commercial incentives to succeed couldn't make them reliable or mainstream. There are more electric vehicles on the road right now than cars driving themselves. Anyone who thinks it's going to render artists or writers or programmers or whatever extinct is letting their imagination run so far away with them they might as well be on a different planet. Don't get me wrong, it's a remarkable leap forward in machine learning. It will be used to make those jobs faster and easier for the humans who do them, if it's used for anything at all. But anyone firing all their staff to replace them with AI is in for a rude awakening.

Justin Credible posted:

So, another thing to this, and I don't know how to speculate how this all ties in, but. I've always found many of the AI-generated images basically snapshots of what a deep psychedelic experience is like. Like, eerily accurate, down to known things being warped and merged, background/edges looking far stranger than the focal point. And it always struck me that, this, this is how AI is 'seeing' things.

That's because AI has no serious concrete conception of reality. Neural nets are essentially relational webs. They associate things with other things to learn to recognize patterns and reproduce them. This turns out to be a great way to interpret context, infer meaning, and generate convincing text, but they still have no long-term memory and therefore no lived experience. They don't actually understand the significance behind anything they're doing and are just combining inputs in novel ways with restrictions set on how close or far from the original they're allowed to get. You might say they're dissociating 24/7.

Bad Purchase posted:

as a kid i always envisioned a future where machines would do all of the monotonous and physical labor, while humans would pursue crafts that require artistry and abstract thought. turns out it will be the other way around.

artistry and abstract thought is easier to digitize than monotonous physical labor

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That kitchen robot's idea of cleaning a spill is to place a sponge on top of it

Tell me you don't understand the complexity needed to make it do that without telling me...

Like they didn't explicitly program each step which would be relatively trivial it parsed it out in the same way a human would and took correct action.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

D-Pad posted:

Tell me you don't understand the complexity needed to make it do that without telling me...

Like they didn't explicitly program each step which would be relatively trivial it parsed it out in the same way a human would and took correct action.

So what you're saying is that merely making it pick up a sponge and place it on a table based on a request to clean up a spill was incredibly complex and took decades of research, but within the next ten years we will have robot maids capable of deep-cleaning our entire households for us using tools designed for humans based on on-the-fly interpretations of verbal commands.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

D-Pad posted:

I don’t want to insult anyone in here but for real.

Is it that hard to understand what makes AI qualitatively different than say, the steam engine or the printing press?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So what you're saying is that merely making it pick up a sponge and place it on a table based on a request to clean up a spill was incredibly complex and took decades of research, but within the next ten years we will have robot maids capable of deep-cleaning our entire households for us using tools designed for humans based on on-the-fly interpretations of verbal commands.

Literally yes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Ricky posted:

I don’t want to insult anyone in here but for real.

Is it that hard to understand what makes AI qualitatively different than say, the steam engine or the printing press?

Literally yes.

Do you by any chance have a degree in economics?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Similar to how the sytemic problems causing the breakdown of the biosphere have followed exponential curves turning vertical in recent years. :hmmyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rime posted:

Similar to how the sytemic problems causing the breakdown of the biosphere have followed exponential curves turning vertical in recent years. :hmmyes:

That didn't work out for Moore's Law and it won't work out for AI either. It turns out that exponential growth is unsustainable but exponential decline is very achievable.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I like in Shadowrun: hong kong where poetry chat bots keep gaining sentience and going rogue so there is a ban on making poetry bots for your chatroom
INFUSED WITH THE JIVE,
OUR VERSE IS UNSTOPPABLE.
TREMBLE, MEATBOUND FOOLS.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rime posted:

Yeah, that struck me immediately back in the day and while I brushed it off as just limitations of maybe having been fed too many psychedelic images in the initial datasets, the effect has persisted way too long now to not be taking into consideration. There's something fundamental going on here.

https://syncedreview.com/2021/11/30/deepmind-podracer-tpu-based-rl-frameworks-deliver-exceptional-performance-at-low-cost-155/

Seems like the cutting edge is exploring this avenue as well. :hmmyes:

They're opening up wide in the next couple of months. The crazy poo poo is that this model is looking like it's already outdated and there is even crazier developments waiting in the wings here.

The Media Synthesis has a pretty good list of resources, both open and currently in development. Some of this stuff, like the self-writing code AI, is extremely :eyepop:

Pretty wild stuff, I'm hoping there's something i can just dump like 115 years of my own art files into, go round categorizing them a bit, and then just ask for specific kinds of weird characters or goblins and see how it does with the chunks I've fed it. I already like taking finished high-detail busy horror-vacuii type drawings and deleting big chunks and letting basic content-aware fills in photoshop come up with something. It's literally just auto-clonestamping itself but sometimes puts together coherant new combos by accident.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

feel like if you're quick, some ai art covers and and ai generated work-study type gentle music could be a good revenue stream. spotify wants people pumping out albums really often and low-stakes background-noise type music seems prime for letting a computer get the jist and pump out more like that.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/sama/status/1511727724682899461

An elephant tea party on a grass lawn.

AN ELEPHANT TEA PARTY ON A GRASS LAWN.

Goddam look at how whimsical that is!!

The elephants are crouching adjacent to the little tea table and it all fits together.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Khanstant posted:

feel like if you're quick, some ai art covers and and ai generated work-study type gentle music could be a good revenue stream. spotify wants people pumping out albums really often and low-stakes background-noise type music seems prime for letting a computer get the jist and pump out more like that.

Attempts at doing this stuff with music have been, uh, really really bad across the board.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://twitter.com/sama/status/1511727724682899461

An elephant tea party on a grass lawn.

AN ELEPHANT TEA PARTY ON A GRASS LAWN.

Goddam look at how whimsical that is!!

The elephants are crouching adjacent to the little tea table and it all fits together.

Yeah. It is not the quality of the images it is spitting out which is even what stuns me, it is the degree to which it seems to “understand” concepts at many levels and how they relate to each other in extremely nuanced and sophisticated ways - and then presents it in a fashion which looks natural and appealing to human observers.

This is uncanny valley but in a very new and unnerving way.

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 23, 2022

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Dall-E, craft me an image based on the following:

"im gay"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

dall-e 2 has an "uncropping" function where you can take an existing image and extend it, so this dude used that to extend the results and create really big pieces

https://twitter.com/_dschnurr/status/1516449112673071106?t=8tZPl3bHG33Sk5uFIpD5wA&s=19

pretty sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rime posted:

Attempts at doing this stuff with music have been, uh, really really bad across the board.

I mean, this NO SOUL they have on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjsGTvwL78
is only like, 60% feeling like I mixed bad drugs by accident at a party with music playing by a dj equally cross-faded. Really this is kind of a bold sample set to go with. I would assume vocals gonna still be a non-starter for ai gen music, so distracting to randomly chop up or muddle into nearly-coherent, like, kind of annoying/uncomfortable being so close to something you should understand.

But i was thinkin this sort of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuZfY2S2UQ
I assume from the way I loosely know these things to work by being fed or trained on datasets isn't the way to achieve what I'm proposing, but, from having heard a brajillion of playlists like the one i linked, without having heard this one specifically before, it's more of a perfunctory music in a way i feel like a program could achieve more realistically. I'm never getting an earworm I want to seek out to itch, probably couldn't identify when one song or artists begins or ends. simple beat loop + some chill tempo thing over it + maybe gentle white noise + piano or chill guitar or instrument do something over it.

haha nvm someone already started it
https://ai.plainenglish.io/building-a-lo-fi-hip-hop-generator-e24a005d0144

I think you could slip this into the "study music" playlist I linked and nobody would notice anything awry
https://soundcloud.com/user-515519669/ai-generated-lofi-hip-hop-track