Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FoolyCharged posted:

It never ceases to amaze me when people run to this thread and post stuff like this. In a thread that's been laughing at people getting kicked out of offices because Elon didn't pay rent, the giant loss in advertising, and Musk frantically doing stuff like selling thr blue checkmark and trashing the api with a week's notice. The sheer blinders required to ignore poo poo this unstable is boggling. It would take catturd2 levels of denial.

Wait a minute, this goon's avatar...!

Naaah that’s fair, I was just thinking about that. I remember cries of chaos predicting the sudden death of Twitter, becoming a non functional site within 2 weeks of the layoffs, back in the ancient times of November 2022. And the site is still chugging along.

I mean, it’s not the sudden nuclear explosion that was prophesied by sysadmins. Yes it would’ve been most entertaining, but here we are 4 months later and the site is still up, that’s all

To clarify, I’m absolutely not pro-Elon… to my eyes Twitter is definitely a zombie brand clearly chugging along to irrelevance and/or infamy, just in slower ways than expected. It’s fair to consider the possibility that Twitter was over staffed

Edit: to clarify further, I’m talking about the part referring to web crashes and site reliability - the debt and such, oh boy, elons hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

musk literally selling billions of dollars in tesla stock, refusing to pay rent or the employees he's fired has basically prevented twitter from going bankrupt.

twitter's videos have been consistently borked for me for over 2-3 weeks now. it'll sometimes play videos fine and it'll sometimes just stop and refuse a video half way through.

twitter has also shutdown randomly, including just being completely unavailable in australia for a while.

any credit of stability should go to the actual infrastructure engineers that created the necessary software to basically will keep the site up as long as there's some light maintenance around it. the fact that its degrading means sooner or later something breaks that no one left at twitter will know how to work around.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

what i'm saying is elon is yet again coasting on the expertise of other people.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

War Wizard posted:

Imagine questioning the authority of the guy who's the sole provider of repairs for your car! :crylaugh:

Next he'll be crying about free speech! Lololol.

What the gently caress is this post?

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Oh no I hope heathcliffbot will be okay :ohdear:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Kingo Ligma posted:

What the gently caress is this post?

The future Elon-stans want.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

To EVERY employee? Jesus Christ, man.

Just imagine Musk staying up to 3 AM reading a one page book report by some random admin assistant in the Twitter Facilities Management Division

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Psh

What’s that, a few hundred pages maybe ?

Morning reading for the world’s smartest man

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Someone will ask an AI to generate their writeup and get promoted (with no pay increase) because Elon is so impressed by it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The Postman posted:

Someone will ask an AI to generate their writeup and get promoted (with no pay increase) because Elon is so impressed by it.

Imagine being the guy who's entire report is just "Assigned to Catturd"

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

musk literally selling billions of dollars in tesla stock, refusing to pay rent or the employees he's fired has basically prevented twitter from going bankrupt.

twitter's videos have been consistently borked for me for over 2-3 weeks now. it'll sometimes play videos fine and it'll sometimes just stop and refuse a video half way through.

twitter has also shutdown randomly, including just being completely unavailable in australia for a while.

any credit of stability should go to the actual infrastructure engineers that created the necessary software to basically will keep the site up as long as there's some light maintenance around it. the fact that its degrading means sooner or later something breaks that no one left at twitter will know how to work around.

Don't forget all of the hacked celebrities who have either faced massive delays getting the hacks undone or just had nothing done at all. The constant promotion of right wing shitheads, the undoing of blocks, the opening up of private messages, the totally broken view count, the intermittent ability to embed tweets, the lack of content moderation and increase of harmful content, etc.

But no, my personal experience of Twitter hasn't changed at all therefore the internet was wrong.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

War Wizard posted:

Imagine being the guy who's entire report is just "Assigned to Catturd"

cmon now, you know that's at least 3 people

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

waffle iron posted:

There is no way scammers will be able to afford $100/month, totally impossible to spend $100 after you have scammed people out of orders of magnitude larger than $100.

Uh excuse me but don't you remember how successful charging $8 a month for a blue checkmark was in stopping identity theft?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you don't even need a scraper, people have already extracted the API keys from the official app and you can bet those will keep working after they shut off the official free API

that's likely what spambots were already using in order to appear like human users

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:dudsmile:

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Just the other day Twitter was telling me that I’d muted an account I’m positive I didn’t mute. At points it hasn’t been populating my feed further than a single scroll down. I’ve had various periods of time with it slow to load or failing to load or seeing weird glitches. I know larger accounts with followers aren’t getting all their mentions. It might not have died as spectacularly as suspected but it’s definitely not doing great.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

repiv posted:

you don't even need a scraper, people have already extracted the API keys from the official app and you can bet those will keep working after they shut off the official free API

I'll take the other half of that bet.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Oh yeah—and I can’t help but wonder how much of the dropping engagement the chuds are complaining about isn’t the 9% of users that hit the bricks (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/katienotopoulos/twitter-users-down-democrats-elon-musk), who were unlikely to follow them anyway, but just a manifestation of the system losing coherency and efficiency.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
* jumps into a giant acid vat* compared to hanging out with Elon musk? this is really not that bad.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've noticed some coming and going of regular functions on the site. I run a small account for my employer, and recently I literally wasn't getting the mentions showing up at all. If I didn't see them on the tweet by chance, I did not know they existed.

I also have access to the account's analytics page, and that is broken as hell. A different set of numbers on one set of charts on the page from the other main summary. Showing me the best performing tweet was something with 5 likes when there was one with 200 likes I had gone into the analytics to check on and nope, no sign of it. Telling me we'd gained 2 followers when 10 had signed up. (It's a very small account, these things are a big deal to my boss.)

The threading of tweets is all over the place too. I see a 1/3 note on a tweet, I click it and there are no follow-up tweets there only replies. But I check the account's timeline, find tweet 2/3 or 3/3 and click it and see they are attached to the header tweet but you can only work your way up the thread, not down.

Killing 3rd party apps, and the impeding API stuff are much bigger problems, but lots of the day to day *basic* functions of how the site works are breaking and then unbreaking all the time now. It might still sorta kinda work, most of the time, for most people, but it's getting... I think "threadbare" is the best way to describe it. That worn feeling on a patch of clothing before it one day suddenly just rips right open.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Parkingtigers posted:

I've noticed some coming and going of regular functions on the site. I run a small account for my employer, and recently I literally wasn't getting the mentions showing up at all. If I didn't see them on the tweet by chance, I did not know they existed.

I also have access to the account's analytics page, and that is broken as hell. A different set of numbers on one set of charts on the page from the other main summary. Showing me the best performing tweet was something with 5 likes when there was one with 200 likes I had gone into the analytics to check on and nope, no sign of it. Telling me we'd gained 2 followers when 10 had signed up. (It's a very small account, these things are a big deal to my boss.)

The threading of tweets is all over the place too. I see a 1/3 note on a tweet, I click it and there are no follow-up tweets there only replies. But I check the account's timeline, find tweet 2/3 or 3/3 and click it and see they are attached to the header tweet but you can only work your way up the thread, not down.

Killing 3rd party apps, and the impeding API stuff are much bigger problems, but lots of the day to day *basic* functions of how the site works are breaking and then unbreaking all the time now. It might still sorta kinda work, most of the time, for most people, but it's getting... I think "threadbare" is the best way to describe it. That worn feeling on a patch of clothing before it one day suddenly just rips right open.

Looking into this

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

* jumps into a giant acid vat* compared to hanging out with Elon musk? this is really not that bad.

You take that acid vat back to the r/relationships thread right now. <:mad:>

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Hammond Egger posted:

Don't forget all of the hacked celebrities who have either faced massive delays getting the hacks undone or just had nothing done at all. The constant promotion of right wing shitheads, the undoing of blocks, the opening up of private messages, the totally broken view count, the intermittent ability to embed tweets, the lack of content moderation and increase of harmful content, etc.

But no, my personal experience of Twitter hasn't changed at all therefore the internet was wrong.

to be fair, i also made the assumption that the site would crash within weeks once elon took over. however once i read that article about how they engineered the infrastructure of the site to basically maintain itself as best as it could it was more obvious the site would slowly decay.

it is still inevitable, mainly because elon has no real idea how to generate enough money from the site. whether elon runs out of money first or the infrastructure goes is the bigger mystery.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah the site is becoming increasingly unstable. It is the sort of thing where if you are just opening the app and scrolling through your feed and laughing at a few tweets then looking away, you wouldn't notice. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of twitter's users are like that, and the api changes will be the first inescapably visible thing that will impact their experience with the site. Speaking of which...

Just lmao that they announced this change to come in a week with no details and if someone, like a business, wanted to make any sort of planning, the only idea of the pricing they would deal with is from Elon responding to some random tweet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elon, my company is still not allowed to use your service. Im in Japan so our twitter isn't all weird conservative animal feces posters, so it would have value to us. You clearly dont mind breaking the law a little, so I can only ask why not done?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
elon and a bunch of chud-o-sphere morons: "let's try switching our profiles on and off to diagnose our inconsistent view numbers!"

some goon: "seems like twitter is still working perfectly, what gives?"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

lmao there are like 25 twitter files about how Russian troll bots weren't a real thing but also we have to limit API usage because "opinion manipulators" aka libruls

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

repiv posted:

that's likely what spambots were already using in order to appear like human users

Weren't people saying that functionality like dms were just removed from the official app? What if that api access is dying also

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DMs weren't removed they just hosed up the UI for no reason

the shortcut to DM someone directly from their profile is gone but you can do it manually from the messages tab and it works

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

kazil posted:

lmao there are like 25 twitter files about how Russian troll bots weren't a real thing but also we have to limit API usage because "opinion manipulators" aka libruls

No, you see Elno has to kill the random Virginia Wolfe quotes account and the remind-me bots and all the puppy/kitten rater bots because a bunch of people voted him off the island and that can't be a real thing, he's Elno Msuk the genius special boy who's gonna save the world! It must be those Evil Librul Bots who made him feel sad!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lmao at "opinion manipulators"

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Buce posted:

lmao at "opinion manipulators"

That's his name for the 10% that boo'ed.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Hour posted:

Just imagine Musk staying up to 3 AM reading a one page book report by some random admin assistant in the Twitter Facilities Management Division

He's not reading any of them. It's a stupid power play to gently caress with his employees. He did the same thing with the code printouts.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

He's not reading any of them. It's a stupid power play to gently caress with his employees. He did the same thing with the code printouts.

Yeah he doesn't seem like a heavy reader

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah he doesn't seem like a heavy reader
♪♪
He ain't heavy...
He's a botherer....
♪♪

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
that's the way it is
Get your money
Get live y'all
Earl Flynn

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

tbh I'd be interested in what their facilities management people would have to say RE: the un-janitored buildings they're squatting in

Amish Navy
Jul 8, 2009

man, im baked as gently caress. i dont think ive posted on here in like a million years. I hope im quoting the right thing, but i tried to understand that elom Trusk meme with him in shakles and then a chad with an orange shirt under him, and man i dont under stand it at all. i hate rich peiople who dont give away money. trucmp needs to go away forever, hugs your loved ones. im not sure what gets you banned any more either. weed is cool. do more drugs safely.

i hope you get to pet a critter today.

anyway, maybe ill post more on here hwne i have alone night again with weed. and wine. its been fun. maube i wont post for another like 10+ years.

i dont know how to make the emojis, just mentally insert (funny emogi of choice here)

gently caress elom and his dumb cars. content.

oh poo poo, edit: yo if you read this in the morning, tell me our safety word, i wonder if you can recognize my voice in my typing. did i mention im stoned. i think i found the edit!@

Amish Navy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 3, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

would love to read a one page summary of what Musk did in January and what he plans to do in February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Amish Navy posted:

man, im baked as gently caress. i dont think ive posted on here in like a million years. I hope im quoting the right thing, but i tried to understand that elom Trusk meme with him in shakles and then a chad with an orange shirt under him, and man i dont under stand it at all. i hate rich peiople who dont give away money. trucmp needs to go away forever, hugs your loved ones. im not sure what gets you banned any more either. weed is cool. do more drugs safely.

i hope you get to pet a critter today.

anyway, maybe ill post more on here hwne i have alone night again with weed. and wine. its been fun. maube i wont post for another like 10+ years.

i dont know how to make the emojis, just mentally insert (funny emogi of choice here)

gently caress elom and his dumb cars. content.

oh poo poo, edit: yo if you read this in the morning, tell me our safety word, i wonder if you can recognize my voice in my typing. did i mention im stoned. i think i found the edit!@

Same