Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So, after the API charges go into effect, anyone that is still using customer reply bots will be charged for each interaction?

Allowing users to flood customer support accounts with bot interaction requests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

to be clear, this dude is not working for twitter. this dude thinks he has some genius blockchain idea but he's so dumb he accidentally copy and pasted the same text to both info boxes but he has so little engagement no one is there to point out his mistake or how dumb his idea is even 12 hours later.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

So, after the API charges go into effect, anyone that is still using customer reply bots will be charged for each interaction?

Allowing users to flood customer support accounts with bot interaction requests?

they haven't said what the pricing model will be for the basic API tier

which is hilarious considering it's only 1 week away from going into effect

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That Tesla deposition by the engineer reads way less "Doesn't know about these things" and more "Was instructed by Tesla lawyers to play as dumb and possible and try to give nothing away" to me, but I'm no expert in these things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

The best part is you can simultaneously do the world's easiest DoS attack on corporate systems given how low the thresholds are while the amount of income generated for Musk will be negligible. It's lose/lose.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The best part is you can simultaneously do the world's easiest DoS attack on corporate systems given how low the thresholds are while the amount of income generated for Musk will be negligible. It's lose/lose.

we don't know what the thresholds will be, that image doing the round with ridiculous prices is for the bulk analysis API which has been around for ages

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Another crazy Stack

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

people's understanding of what an api entails in this thread is on par with elon musk's understanding...

concerning.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

people's understanding of what an api entails in this thread is on par with elon musk's understanding...

concerning.

Well come on man, single out some posts and call them stupid. This is the Something Awful Forum.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deptfordx posted:

That Tesla deposition by the engineer reads way less "Doesn't know about these things" and more "Was instructed by Tesla lawyers to play as dumb and possible and try to give nothing away" to me, but I'm no expert in these things.

The only reason you'd do that is if the real truth is worse than "Tesla head of self-driving doesn't know basic info about control system engineering". Which is totally possible, but basically means they're trying to cover up poo poo that would lead to absolutely massive liability.

Alternately, the guy is the head of self-driving because he's one of Elon's dick-riding yes-men at corporate HQ and really is that clueless.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
its nice to see Twitter entering the 'pub thats started shutting at 9pm on weekdays' stage

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Extra Large Marge posted:

Well come on man, single out some posts and call them stupid. This is the Something Awful Forum.

looking into it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Strong Sauce posted:

concerning.

I know you can use three slurp juices on a single api so who's the understander now

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The funny thing is that what will happen is devs will just switch back to implementing functionality via navigating the site as a human would, like in the early 2000s. The requests will go through the proportionally expensive human-facing request processing pipelines, and nothing else will have changed.

APIs aren't just there to open the door to devs. They are often made because bot activity is basically inevitable and you have a benefit in making bot-driven requests as cheap as possible to process. It also helps with getting more accurate metrics, which would probably qualify as a downside from the PoV of Musk.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2023

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Strong Sauce posted:

concerning.

I thought it meant “a penis inserted.” Elons moving on from just metaphorically loving Twitter.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Aramis posted:

The funny thing is that what will happen is devs will just switch back to implementing functionality via navigating the site as a human would, like in the early 2000s. The requests will go through the proportionally expensive human-facing request processing pipelines, and nothing else will have changed.

APIs aren't just there to open the door to devs. They are often made because bot activity is basically inevitable and you have a benefit in making bot-driven requests as cheap as possible to process.

Hell yeah. Time to crack open selenium and get to work scraping the html. The future is here babeeeee

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

nullEntityRNG posted:

Hell yeah. Time to crack open selenium and get to work scraping the html. The future is here babeeeee

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1621052851211616256

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Extra Large Marge posted:

Twitters next play is that you can tweet for free, but you have to subscribe to twitter blue if you want to use vowels.

Sck m dck ln

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

this meme was more informative than most articles I've seen today :cheers:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

parses HTML with regex

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1621157463851683840

All those "cute animal every hour" accounts are going to be killed by the API charges. The last reason I had to be on the site is gone.

Is the images from a tweet "sliding" on screen when you browse them new? I could swear that there was no fancy transition between images just a month ago.

Anyway it makes my old cheapo tablet lag, so that's great.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Viscous Soda posted:

Is the images from a tweet "sliding" on screen when you browse them new? I could swear that there was no fancy transition between images just a month ago.

Anyway it makes my old cheapo tablet lag, so that's great.

I don't see any transitions, but then I don't see promoted tweets or get recommended tweets from alt-right weirdos I don't follow.

I somehow seem to get an alternate Twitter that isn't a nightmare to use.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I don't see any transitions, but then I don't see promoted tweets or get recommended tweets from alt-right weirdos I don't follow.

Working on it

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Huh... just checked on my desktop PC, and even though they're both Windows systems running Firefox it's not doing the "fancy" image slide in. I guess it only shows up on systems it can freeze for a second every time you go to the next image.

Concerning.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:

Prettz posted:

parses HTML with regex

There are more things in heaven and earth, Elon, than are dreamt of in your API

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can a better api make my family happy again

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Shinjobi posted:

she already told the kids that the API is their new daddy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shinjobi posted:

Oh my yes.

Chore boards, event calendars, the candles you light when you're DTF. These are all APIs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So whatever happened to Twitter closing down and going bankrupt? How come we haven't seen the predicated constant crashes and instability that was talked about after 50%+ of the employees were let go?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621259936524300289?s=46&t=JiLhiDociCvMknIw5Smsjg

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lol if this is all because of the votes on "should i step down as ceo" poll that he was never going to respect anyway

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
There is no way scammers will be able to afford $100/month, totally impossible to spend $100 after you have scammed people out of orders of magnitude larger than $100.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/zoeschiffer/status/1621172376619880448?s=46&t=i9ANIPBE2zv0pAQvvYcQUQ

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1620920039624044545

I don't know whether it is sad or funny that the guy who posted Tesla self driving loving up and made the news still owns a Tesla, but Telsa has blackballed him from receiving repairs to his Tesla.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

lol yeah I'm sure that'll solve it. No other way to get bots to post on a site

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

waffle iron posted:

I don't know whether it is sad or funny that the guy who posted Tesla self driving loving up and made the news still owns a Tesla, but Telsa has blackballed him from receiving repairs to his Tesla.

It’s definitely very funny, op

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

waffle iron posted:

Lmao this is loving hilarious. Imagine posting "my shitbox civic broke down again" on Instagram and having the CEO of Honda turn up and have a meltdown on your doorstep.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao this is loving hilarious. Imagine posting "my shitbox civic broke down again" on Instagram and having the CEO of Honda turn up and have a meltdown on your doorstep.

Imagine questioning the authority of the guy who's the sole provider of repairs for your car! :crylaugh:

Next he'll be crying about free speech! Lololol.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I said come in! posted:

So whatever happened to Twitter closing down and going bankrupt? How come we haven't seen the predicated constant crashes and instability that was talked about after 50%+ of the employees were let go?

Working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I said come in! posted:

It never ceases to amaze me when people run to this thread and post stuff like this. In a thread that's been laughing at people getting kicked out of offices because Elon didn't pay rent, the giant loss in advertising, and Musk frantically doing stuff like selling thr blue checkmark and trashing the api with a week's notice. The sheer blinders required to ignore poo poo this unstable is boggling. It would take catturd2 levels of denial.

Wait a minute, this goon's avatar...!