Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
krugman actually did a follow-up just recently on that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/04/opinion/internet-economy.html

measured by productivity, he declares himself correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

krugman actually did a follow-up just recently on that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/04/opinion/internet-economy.html

measured by productivity, he declares himself correct

the New York Times paid him for that?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not true.

Microsoft gave us Internet Explorer!

Netscape Navigator 4 lyfe

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Splicer posted:

I assume this was posted in agreement.

To clarify, yes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the New York Times paid him for that?

and more people paid to read it than paid for :eightbux:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ignis posted:

pls notice me King-senpai

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1650266265599229952

also lol you didn't donate poo poo you dumbass

is he talking about Starlink?

So a private biz, he just happens to own. that is just doing its contractual obligations of providing a service in exchange for money is a donation?

(also never mind that Musky has met with nice russian people that said he should make it harder for Ukraine. even though the US DoD is giving him a nice reliable internet paycheck.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

These aren't the same thing at all though.

What do you mean? I can't tell the exact prevalence of views 28 years ago, but saying the internet is bunk was totally the sort of thing you'd see in newspaper opinion columns then.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

So a private biz, he just happens to own. that is just doing its contractual obligations of providing a service in exchange for money is a donation?

(also never mind that Musky has met with nice russian people that said he should make it harder for Ukraine. even though the US DoD is giving him a nice reliable internet paycheck.)

I don't remember the details, but something like he wanted to charge Ukraine for the starlink, people got mad at him, and he threw a hissy fit and said fine he'll donate it

and I think the US was paying for it the whole time anyway

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
how long until idiots paying realize they can just start following each other en masse for a blue checkmark?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

thin blue whine posted:

how long until idiots paying realize they can just start following each other en masse for a blue checkmark?

I don't think he's sold a million checkmarks

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

thin blue whine posted:

[insert a techbro that already paid 8$ reinventing the MLM triangle shape scam here , but in the most smug arrogant way possible]

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kazil posted:

I don't remember the details, but something like he wanted to charge Ukraine for the starlink, people got mad at him, and he threw a hissy fit and said fine he'll donate it

and I think the US was paying for it the whole time anyway

he loudly said he was donating it at the start of the war, back when he seemed to still be on the fence about going full mask-off chud

then he was gonna take it away, because he got mad that people were mocking his awful Quisling-like "peace plan" to give the russians half of ukraine

and then someone in gov't leaked that he was being paid the whole time -- it was like the state department rather than the DoD

he's repeatedly lied or said intentionally misleading poo poo about it the whole time, and evidently has never learned

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

PhazonLink posted:

I think King may also be a bit of an idiot (If this is tongue in cheek he isn't doing a great job at it)

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1650267585462558720?s=20

koshmar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 24, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
That's odd. The blood usually gets off on the second floor

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

then he was gonna take it away, because he got mad that people were mocking his awful Quisling-like "peace plan" to give the russians half of ukraine

this was also when a ukraine chess master told him to shut the gently caress up and musky said his supa brain plays a lovely civ-lite mobile game and he's tooo smart for chess. also why waste time playing chess when a chess engine app does it good.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Klyith posted:

he's repeatedly lied or said intentionally misleading poo poo about it the whole time, and evidently has never learned

Elon Musk and any related subject.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Klyith posted:

In the tweet above he says he turned down the DoD's money, "BTW", but to me that doesn't hold water. The US government isn't a charity, so if you could do good work for Ukraine AND get paid by the US, why would you turn that down?

It seems like anytime he reads a story of heroism in the news he has to 1-up everyone, and he requires complete control.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol remember when he said we would end world hunger and didnt,

or Roni said we would make a supa ventilator , but didnt and just bought pieces of poo poo that werent even useful.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
And flint Michigan

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

PhazonLink posted:

this was also when a ukraine chess master told him to shut the gently caress up and musky said his supa brain plays a lovely civ-lite mobile game and he's tooo smart for chess. also why waste time playing chess when a chess engine app does it good.

Yeah he tried to dunk on chess to Garry loving Kasparov lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
man sure is weird the south african Apartheid inheritor hates a game thats perfectly balance/mirrored and has zero hidden information and requires one of the players to be truely better or worse to win.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He doesn't like that one of his bishops can't step on the blacks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

still laughing that he had a picture of a flying car from a video game and said teslas were gonna do that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jestery posted:

And flint Michigan

pretty sure the Federal Government said we should just forget about Flint Michigan

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There are now blue gold and grey ticks on my timeline complaining about being given them lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I liked the AV Club article on this most recent stupidity, especially the "lurker too unfunny to post on SA" analogy.

https://www.avclub.com/celebrities-now-working-to-remove-their-apparently-mand-1850366148

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
This darn guy is cringe.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

just looked up the vid of the rocket launch,explosion. Lol especially after reading this thread it was funny how full the comments were of this "its amazing the rocket was strong enough to hold together like it did spinning like that!"

Also how the woman jumps on the mic when its starting to gently caress up and is like "remember folks the rocket clearing the pad is just icing on the cake" lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I liked the AV Club article on this most recent stupidity, especially the "lurker too unfunny to post on SA" analogy.

https://www.avclub.com/celebrities-now-working-to-remove-their-apparently-mand-1850366148

heres another one from the av club.
https://www.avclub.com/the-best-horror-movies-of-the-1980s-ranked-1850134476
not really sure I value their opinions

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

In the tweet above he says he turned down the DoD's money, "BTW", but to me that doesn't hold water. The US government isn't a charity, so if you could do good work for Ukraine AND get paid by the US, why would you turn that down?

It seems like anytime he reads a story of heroism in the news he has to 1-up everyone, and he requires complete control.

It was something like - of the first batch of Starlink hardware, he 'donated' 1/3rd and the government paid for the rest, and have been paying since. Later on he wanted to extort Ukraine for the full monthly subscription fee, and that's when all the public whining and the Putin fellating occurred.

He also got a bunch of soldiers killed because he refused to lift service geofencing along the lines of control, so when the Ukrainians counter-attacked and pushed into the Russian territory, they had massive communication breakdowns because their internet stopped working. Starlink being deliberately crippled also kept loving up a drone boat program the Ukrainians were developing to attack the Russian fleet in Crimea.

Basically, the only good thing to come out of it is that a bunch of Starlink competitors have been accelerating to grab that DoD contract.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It seems like every tweet where anyone even jokes about blocking Twitter Blue people is getting floods of replies from idiots thinking they are scoring dunks with lines like "8 dollar make dummies hollar!" In short...

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1650299259667857408?s=20

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gotta put the Youtube algorithm back in its place every now and again.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Tumblr lets you buy checkmarks, and they're rainbow, too, and you can have as many as you like. Also people can buy them for you and there's no way to get rid of it. It's basically like red titles or w/e.

Some time ago Tumblr introduced "Blaze" posts which is just paying to have your posts show up in other users' dashboards even if they don't follow you or your topics, and on 4/20 they added the ability to blaze other people's posts. In theory this means boosting fundraisers and PSAs but it also theoretically means you can turn someone into today's main character by sending their hot takes or shitposting to a wider audience. (I say "in theory" because my extensions block every kind of sponsored post so I can't see how it's actually being used.)

So I figure it's only a matter of time before Musky does the same thing with checkmarks so he can further dilute any meaningful status it had let his fans own his posting enemies😂

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

ai art being the bane of youtube thumbnails was to be expected from the outset, but drat it aint pretty

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

only 2k views in 6 hours. Musk is not living up to his namesake

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Renreeja posted:

just looked up the vid of the rocket launch,explosion. Lol especially after reading this thread it was funny how full the comments were of this "its amazing the rocket was strong enough to hold together like it did spinning like that!"

Also how the woman jumps on the mic when its starting to gently caress up and is like "remember folks the rocket clearing the pad is just icing on the cake" lol

Apparently "clearing the pad" meant "clearing the pad straight off the launching area."

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Renreeja posted:

ai art being the bane of youtube thumbnails was to be expected from the outset, but drat it aint pretty

It looks like someone smeared vaseline on a buttplug and lit on fire imo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

It looks like someone smeared vaseline on a buttplug and lit on fire imo

well, that is a phrase I have never heard before

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

and the rocket looks bad too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU