Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/andrewzigler/status/1591105575542468608

Lol if Twitter still even exists long enough for this to be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The 11 to 15 yo crypto children

The crypto manchildren as dumb as 11-15 yo's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm surprised nobody's decided to just try and push the whole boat over with a good old-fashioned DDOS attempt yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He cares a lot about adulation though, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility especially if someone powerful or popular shamed him.

He's got so much "I'm so cool, totally rolling with the punches" energy in all his twitter posts that you know Twitter mercilessly dunking on him as the platform burns has to be getting to him privately as he fires another another couple thousand Twitter employees out of spite.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like Elon's gotta be firing these people thinking smugly about how they'll never work again because Elon Musk, Cool Billionaire Guy, fired them so clearly nobody else will want to hire them, and that'll make the other employees behave and stop complaining.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thin blue whine posted:

you really have to be extremely fragile, pathetic, and ego driven to be a billionaire don't you? i always knew rich and powerful people were but i assumed it was a consequence of having a shitton of money not a necessarily a requirement to make it but i am completely dispelled of that now. on top of that you definitely have to be completely and utterly unaware of your own stupidity or limitations you may have. you basically hire people or con people into thinking you have some kind of value to rally around, then yell at them until they do poo poo you can take all the profit and credit for.

More likely the people they hire con them into thinking anything they do is the right move so the free money ride doesn't end by upsetting the Billionaire.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol a drone bomb is going to off the wealthiest man in the world, and everyone is going to shrug

Let's be honest, a guy in a nodescript business suit could walk in, pop him twice with a silenced pistol, and nobody would bat an eyelid at this point. We'd just all agree it was an absolutely tragic suicide.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tricky Ed posted:

And even though twitter dot com probably won't get squatted when it comes up for renewal soon, everyone who relies on Twitter is having to consider other options. No one can ever trust the service again. Not advertisers, not news organizations, not media companies, not businesses, not users. Not in the way they did a month ago.

LOL

Someone will absolutely be waiting for the exact moment that domain's up for renewal, if only because it'll be really funny.

At worst you could make Elon pay you a shitload of money to get it back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63672307

all employees now locked out of offices, all badge access revoked.

(until Monday)

LOL

They're not opening on Monday, you know it and I know it. Hell, the building could be sold or demolished by Monday at this rate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

hes right that its not like twitter is going to immediately die forever within the next week tbh.

it will become a less and less functional site over time with longer downtimes but the worst case scenario is it becomes like tumblr where it breaks for a few hours every week and occasionally you get Welcome To My gently caress House.

When Twitter falls, it's gone and potentially never coming back. Anyone who knows what's broken and why left or was fired, and the people that crunch for Musk probably aren't gonna stick around for long either. Last one out won't need to switch off the lights, the power will short out on its own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

these here forums chugged along for years with only the combined might of Lowtax and Radium code

even moot managed to run 4chan

Are you telling me, experienced forums user Comfy, that Elon is a worse webmin than these giants of the early internet?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yes. twitter is a global distributed system of insane complexity

More importantly, Lowtax and Radium were the ones that built this mess and, vaguely, knew what did what.

Musk fired the people who knew what does what in Twitter's bespoke global distributed system, and when it goes, anybody left can't do anything except scratch their heads and hope real hard someone actually wrote documentation or it's just hosed because it's all Twitter-custom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

learnincurve posted:

lol in order to see musk's tweets you have to go to his feed, he's not blocked or anything the site is just hosed.

That's step 1, Elon. Now what about 2 through 99 to complete the initial scope and review before even touching code?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wonder if Elon's idea for Twitter 2.0 is simply to nuke and pave? Twitter is "clearly" overdone and inefficient says Elon, better to just move fast and start over from scratch to make it cooler, hipper, and Elon's without having to worry about what was built by those stupid smelly people who said no in increasingly louder and exasperated voices to Elon and hurt his ego. The trick is getting it done before Old Twitter falls over, and who cares about that? :manning:

Completely ignoring the FTC, SEC, various laws, and everyone who'd advertise bailing in the interim because they'll all come to Elon's Twitter 2.0 because he is the cool billionaire innovator. :smuggo:

Woolie Wool posted:

Lowtax (or Jeffrey of YOSPOS, for that matter) couldn't run Twitter either, admining a webforum for a self-selecting group of nerds based on '90s technology is a much easier job than doing the same for a gigantic public utility to which the largest corporations in the world entrust their brands, that is also a political battleground of a scale and intensity that makes the Great Ukraine Thread War look like a polite dinner party.

Twitter's much worse off; SA's built in a way you can probably park any random web dev in front of the source code and they'll muddle through okay (if perhaps get very angry at it). Twitter is apparently entirely bespoke and has to train in their staff. The people who do that training are gone. The knowledge involved in that training could be anywhere, and possibly exclusively in the heads of the people who conducted that training (and are now gone).

Twitter's internal systems potentially might as well be a black box to whoever's left, or brought in. Commands, documents, backups. All there, all unknown to a layman brought in by Elon.

All the speculation of "they can get it up again" also relies on people knowing what they're doing in a sane company. Twitter under Elon when it falls over is probably gonna him yelling at foreign contractors on visas to Make Twitter Work Again, and firing 10% of them as a warning to the rest for not typing at a high enough WPM. And telling the rest they're next if Twitter's not back online in an hour (when it could probably take like a well-coordinated day for people who know what they're doing to stage Twitter's full setup cold).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

frankly there are thousands of people on twitter both worse than trump and more actively malicious than him that werent banned even before musk took over so i dont really care that hes unbanned. i pray that trump has it in him to do the funniest possible thing of refusing to go back.

The problem was Trump was/is ground-zero. Anything Trump screams from his decaying brain gets echoed out by those other thousands of people as a coordinate single effort because (Ex-)President Trump Said It and it looks legitimate to Boomers. Being excised from Twitter like the cancerous polyp he is killed his reach so those other thousands of people have to throw random assorted poo poo and hope something sticks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ronya posted:

the thesis is that twitter is solving the scaling problems too well (and at too high a cost) - that its business would not really suffer proportionately if it went down a little more often but saved a lot more on really costly talent and infra

the hard evidence is in that twitter's infrastructure challenge was, in fact, very costly to solve, requiring a lot of bespoke engineering (this is different from "lol actually they're just lollygagging in the office all day" numbskull thesis, obviously) + then not turning a profit for doing so

this is the "twitter needs to become worse to survive" take, rather than the "no, twitter needs pivot to Weibo" take

Given Twitter's bespoke engineering, I'd bet money that a lot of that "standing around doing nothing" is on-call and redundant staff. The ones where it might look like they're on the payroll doing nothing most of the week, but are there so if someone goes on holidays/hospital/dies that role is covered and users never notice.

So what was a team of, let's say, a dozen full-time and/or casual staff rostered throughout the week for on-call and shifts could now be just 3 full-time guys constantly rotating first/second/third shift EVERY DAY and collectively drinking their way to burnout and trying to quit at the same time so they don't screw over the other two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unperson_47 posted:

I didn't even think of this. Does a twitter account being suspended hide all its tweets?

It does, yes. All you see is a message stating it belongs to a suspended account that did something naughty and was moderated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

priznat posted:

It’s amazing that musk can actually make trump look good in comparison. I mean Musk hasn’t instigated any insurrections or anything but probably would if he had the chance.

Trump genuinely thinks he's cool, amazing, and liked by everyone because he's rich and a shrewd Dealmaker. (:lol:)

Elon can't even manage even that. He's an insecure twit openly trying to suck up to everyone and hoping it'll make them like his fundamentally-unlikeable personality. Everything he does is rooted in the idea of "Maybe THIS will be the thing that makes the other children in my brain stop pointing at me and teasing me and say I'm cool", rather than any real intent of innovation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Purchase posted:

the more elon taunts him to come back, the weaker it will make trump look if he does, so i'm not at all convinced he'll do it

maybe elon is trying to have his cake and eat it too or something... invite trump back to appeal to the free speech crowd, but hoping he actually won't because he would immediately steal the spotlight from musk. probably giving musk too much credit, he's no polytopia master.

Nah, he's let Andrew Tate and Kanye back on as well, Elon's firmly in the headspace of thinking free speech drives engagement, and having three of the horsemen of fuckwittery ride in together will make everyone flock to Twitter to witness the spectacle.

And Elon'll be cool because he made it happen!! :yayclod:

...why are you all sighing and cupping your faces? :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Outrail posted:

So basically the opposite of this, but also kinda this?

Quick analogy, but basically think of it like an office and Aurora is bossing the servers around as employees. If something needs doing, it'll find a server that's free and dump that task on them. If a server's failing metrics, or just plain stops responding, it'll give it a talking to and a nice warm restart to get it going again. If something breaks, Aurora passes the task(s) the dud server had to another one to keep things smooth for the customers and logs a ticket to get someone to clean up and replace the dead server.

And the person dealing with the dead server is IT for people needing to set foot in the data center, by the sounds of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boofhead posted:

elon musk will never stop posting his Loss.jpgs

Elon's unbans are making Twitter too loving crowded.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TulliusCicero posted:

Elon Musk is South Park Mel Gibson in real life

"Oh please don't make me spend 44 billion in humiliation and squeeze my nipples! I can't take it!"

:stare: "No one said they were going to do tha-"

"FINE you cowards now you are going to let Trump gently caress me in the rear end while I'm dressed as a milkmaid?!"

The normal world- :yikes:

Elon Musk Stans-:chud:

It's even sadder than that; It's 44 billion to basically say "Look how cool I am insulated twitter boomers; I am friends with cool popular guy Donald Trump!", except Trump didn't bite because he didn't want to be associated with a loser like Elon Musk :lol:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tea Party Crasher posted:

"Tired of all the whining" the CEOs whine as their companies are at their highest productivity and making record profits.

Legit starting to think that capitalists just get hard from human misery

Always have. Got to constantly watch for competition any form from the peons under them, and if you're not working, you're not making/earning money. And that's weakness and laziness.

Numbers must Go Up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PITY BONER posted:

If it's like what Apple does to kowtown to the CCP/China, the apps would be removed from the app store but still usable for whoever has them currently on their phone. However, if they delete the app, the phone gets wiped, or they get a new phone, then they're poo poo out of luck and that app is gone forever unless their new phone (and I think the account) is from another region.

Twitter could kill the app themselves by accident just by making API changes in the backend afterwards if Apple pull the app.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Franz posted:

Don’t worry, geohot is currently fixing twitter…

https://twitter.com/corg_e/status/1595287073547862018?s=46&t=O5ByoB9cQ2CDbi6IQ9fOTQ

Or, rather, trying to get someone to fix it for him. For free.

One line of javascript. To search a backend api, no values or explanation of the architecture.

Sure thing, easy as pie... :yikes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beartaco posted:

Him being stumped on the front end such that he needs to bring in outside help does not bode well for his ability to perform on the rest of this project.

It's not even how you'd solve this problem, because THE FIRST question here is "Are you working from a local clientside cache, or expecting this mythical line of Javascript to query the backend and pull tailored results".

If he can't discern that much on his own, :lol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kazil posted:

I don't think he really had much of a choice in either of those examples

No, he had the choice of not firing those people or barrelling through with the paid check even though he probably had a dozen people telling him not to do either.

This is a personal hell of his own making, and it's delightful to watch from a distance. I hope the EU or one of the alphabet agencies in the US find something to nail his head to a wall with as a warning to others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mind the walrus posted:

After over half a decade of nonstop miscarriages of justice from a stacked Supreme Court and ineffectual prosecution agencies against Trump, I'm not counting any chickens until they're in handcuffs and the sentence is getting read out.

And it's pretty clear Musk just pushed the deal through, same way he just fired all those employees. He definitely hosed up, but I'm pretty sure on a relative scale of his recent fuckups his lawyers advised him that was one problem they could handle, even if he's still the $100 billion dollar pissbaby.

He could get away clean in the US, but the EU will gut him like a fish for the employees there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rigel posted:

Related to this, I'm really curious about what kind of complete imbecile decided that it would be a good idea to completely shun LIDAR and just assume they can program their way into making cameras work. Since this is an Elon company and its clear now that he's a loving idiot with no empathy, I'm wondering if maybe his engineers and lawyers wanted to use LIDAR as a backup but maybe this was one of the few times Elon broke free of containment by his Elon-wranglers and insisted they go without.

I guess maybe it might make sense from a ruthless capitalism context if you think you can just budget for the legal cost of killing people until you can finally figure out how to make it work (which is not a given, getting machines to drive safely 99.99%+ of the time just through vision is loving hard), but as soulless as corporations are, they do understand liability risk and will usually avoid situations that are hilariously dangerous to the company's future for short-term profit. Not always, but usually.

Allegedly Elon was big on insisting "if other people do it we should be different just to be different". A bunch of Tesla's problem are supposedly rooted in that, because even down to common-sense machining/assembly practices were not allowed. Gotta be different and break the mould!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gerblyn posted:

Lots of people have been talking about why the Code Review poo poo that Elon has been pulling is dumb, but no-one's really explained why. So I've made an attempt to try and explain to a lay person what it actually is that makes this process such a terrible idea.

Code exists in a context
A piece of code is written to add functionality to a larger system, and the way it's written and how it works is highly dependent on how that larger system works. Your ability to judge that code is therefore dependent on how much you know about that system. I have 20+ years experience as gameplay programmer, and I wouldn't be able to review twitter's back end code even if it were written in C++, in the same way a twitter coder wouldn't be able to review mine. The contextual knowledge simply isn't there.

Even if you DO have that knowledge, you still need to speak to the coder because this poo poo is complicated and you yourself might be missing something. Sometimes I review something my colleague wrote and think "that's dumb, why did you do it like that?", so I go ask them and they explain, and I realize that it's actually a reasonable solution because of some complex detail about the system I didn't know.

The idea that an outsider like Elon could properly review twitter production code is absurd, he has no idea about the context of the code and one evening session scribbling diagrams on a whiteboard isn't even close to enough to give that.

Code is simple, knowing what to code is hard
Often when writing a piece of code, the majority of your time is spent trying to figure out the best approach to whatever problem you're trying to solve. Often a coder will go through several possible solutions before settling on one that is the best. There are a lot of factors to consider, for example:

- Will it run efficiently and quickly?
- If the system changes, will my code break?
- Can I reuse other code for this, to save time and prevent bugs?
- Can my code be reused for other problems I'll have in the future?

This means that you might spend 75% of their time thinking or experimenting or whatever your process is, while only spending 25% physically typing in the actual code to make it go. That resulting code might look really short and really simple, but that doesn't mean the coder is lazy or that the process to make that code was easy. Quite often it's the opposite!

Debugging is even worse, you could spend literally weeks going through code trying to identify a bug, only to discover that someone left out a minus sign in a single line of code somewhere. To someone like Elon, 80 hours to write a single character into a file would look appalling, but that 80 hours could have fixed a massive problem impacting thousands of users.

Bad code isn't the end of the world
This is probably going to be a controversial thing to say, but lots of very intelligent people write objectively bad code. Code which is hard to maintain or re-use. Code which is ugly, inelegant and inefficient. In the end though, on a practical level, if the code gets the job done that is often enough! Sometimes you look at a colleague's code and think it sucks, while at the same time being impressed that it actually solves an issue in a clever way that you would not have been able to do yourself.

The point is that if the coder has brains and talent, then that can be more valuable than the ability to write "good" code. We can teach people to write better code, we can't teach them to have more talent.

Elon's purge is guaranteed to get rid of talented, valuable people for bullshit reasons like "not enough comments in the header file" or "poor choice of variable names" or whatever else he read about in "Coding Standards for Dummies"

Conclusion
The best person to review code is another coder who works in the same area as the person being reviewed. For that to work you need competent coders who you can trust to be fair, and objective. Elon only trusts himself, so he's doomed to failure.

I'm nodding in agreement with this using an invisible bunny mob's player detection.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

priznat posted:

I bet the firings from the code review were for using the wrong number of spaces, or tabs for indents. Elon seems like that kind of prick.

Ie entirely superficial and easily changed items

You wrote three lines of code* this week, I can see it in your commits. This guy on an H-1B Visa wrote two HUNDRED lines of code** this week, so clearly he's the better coder and we're keeping him on instead of your lazy rear end! :colbert:.

* for a core system to resolve an esoteric show-stopping bug that took two weeks to isolate, reproduce, and develop a fix for that only three people in the company know how it works in the first place.

**General functionality for low-level API endpoints returning client queries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

heavy liquid posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-26/musk-says-he-d-back-desantis-for-president-if-he-makes-2024-run

Musk Says He’d Back DeSantis for President If He Makes 2024 Run

Twitter owner wants a candidate who’s ‘sensible and centrist’

Reviving Trump’s account, he says, corrects ‘a grave mistake’

"I'm fine with Trump not tweeting," Musk said on Twitter Friday night. "The important thing is that Twitter correct a grave mistake in banning his account, despite no violation of the law or terms of service. Deplatforming a sitting President undermined public trust in Twitter for half of America."

"Fine! If Trump won't be my friend, maybe Ron DeSantis will be. I'm not mad, you're mad!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edwardly posted:

I'm sure he'll be right on this just like all these other features he's agreed to.

He probably thinks it's an artificial limit somewhere that can just Go Up without issue.

I'd wager a lot of meetings and judicious back-end testing over a year or two went on before even formerly considering bumping the character count to 280.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirPhoebos posted:

Still feeling comfortable with my "slapfight-then-blacklisted by CC Payment Processors" prediction.

I'm hoping he pisses off SWIFT instead. Because you do not gently caress with SWIFT full-stop if you want to do any form of banking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

Apparently it's from one of the new Deus Ex games. So it's not even from something even halfway interesting or conic.

Lol of course he thinks he's David Sarif or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a bigger :lol: to be had in the chart - Tesla's on it too! :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63796832

Get ready for an uptick on anti-mask, anti-vax rhetoric folks, when there's an uptick on the charts!

Lol, he truly thinks all those poll votes are real people and he's some great liberator of The People instead of a narcissist getting suckered by bots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spunkshui posted:

Hes trying to automate moderation.

I wonder if the moderation team will also need to hold their hands above the keyboard ready to take action.

It's so SIMPLE! Don't you understand what cam be done with coding and automation??

What so you mean "Nuance and context"?? :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midnight Voyager posted:

PLEASE let him do this, payment processors loving hate anything that looks like porn, that will cause him so many problems.

Supposedly SWIFT was Not Happy with OnlyFans and that was part of the reason to try and drop the porn.

I'd love to see idiot failson Elon Musk piss off the people who can decide Twitter, or Elon, don't get to have a bank account anymore period. :pray:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who in the pool has "EU kills Twitter by banning it".

Because you know he's not gonna un-gently caress his content moderation after all that talk of free speech.

keyframe posted:

He already has the gun at his bedside now all he needs is the implants and the trenchcoat.

Oh please.

You just know he's already got a trenchcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

funeral home DJ posted:

2045: Elon Musk uploads his consciousness to a chipset to allow him to live eternally; it’s immediately ripped out of the machine and vigorously stomped upon by everyone in the room.

All those involved are considered heroes and statues of their exploits are ordered to be installed in the National Mall.

I'd want a SOMA-esque fate for him. Thinking he'd escape mortality, just to realize his stupid rear end is still "in" his body and there's a copy on-screen in front of him. THEN ripping out the machine and vigorously stomping on it by everyone in front of him.