Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Stoatbringer posted:

So I want to write a game like God Of War. I guess I'll need a character animation guy, a landscape guy, an audio (music/effects/voice) guy, a story/script guy and then maybe one more to port it to other systems?

It'll have about 50 hours of gameplay so it shouldn't take much more than that to write. Should be done by next weekend then!

When I was finishing up my computer science degree, a friend unironically suggested that I should make a game like Starcraft. By myself. She was not joking.

Her mind was blown when I told her that AAA-level games take dozens (if not hundreds) of people to make. She sincerely thought they were all made by one or two people. She's normally an extremely smart person so that one was kind of a headscratcher for me.

vaginite posted:

Twitter's eventually gonna go down and the only thing they can do is revert the database 22 minutes, at which point it will crash again in 22 minutes. In this window of time Elon and the remaining guys on Visas will put together clues left by a team of prior engineers that have long since left. They become of aware of a reset kill switch in the code that will revert everything to a "workable state", but they only ever have 22 minutes to find it. When they finally do they hit the switch after playing country music and roasting marshmallows, the Twitter HQ shrinks into a singularity then expands uncontrollably, destroying Silicon Valley and Hollywood. The internet and all streaming services go down. We all go outside and get sunburns.

Just wanted to let you know that I got this reference. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Some customers at my job asked my coworker if the lunch meat our store has is raw, and somehow that’s only the secondest stupid poo poo I’ve heard today, thanks.

There's a nasty listeria outbreak right now. They've traced it to deli counters in multiple states but that's all they know right now. The CDC is recommending not to buy any deli meat/cheese that's not steaming hot.

So that was a smart question, not a stupid one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

stoopiduk posted:

Free speech?
No, nazis!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1600237095364096000

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/chappelle-elon-musk-dave-video-audience-members-boo-rcna61330

quote:

Chappelle audience members explain why they booed Elon Musk

“It was more boos than I’d ever heard,” one attendee said.

Dec. 12, 2022, 4:23 PM CST

By Kat Tenbarge

Three audience members who were at comedian Dave Chappelle’s show where tech titan Elon Musk was booed off stage say Musk’s characterization of the night wasn’t accurate, and explained why they felt compelled to heckle the world’s richest man.

The Twitter and Tesla CEO joined Chappelle onstage Sunday night at the Chase Center in San Francisco, where Chris Rock was also headlining.

“It was more boos than I’d ever heard,” one attendee, Jason, said in a direct message. “Sustained jeering.”

Two audience members told NBC News they booed Musk because of the widespread firings and layoffs at Twitter. A third person said he booed Musk because of his political agenda. Ahead of the midterms, Musk urged followers to vote for Republicans. The three people shared screenshots of their tickets to the show with NBC News and spoke on the condition that only their first names be used to protect their privacy and avoid backlash from Musk’s fans.

Both cheers and boos can be heard in videos taken of the event, which were viewed millions of times on social media on Monday. Later on Twitter, Musk attributed the mixed reception to his recent embrace of conservative politics.

“Technically, it was 90% cheers & 10% boos (except during quiet periods), but, still, that’s a lot of boos, which is a first for me in real life (frequent on Twitter),” Musk wrote in a tweet.

The tech titan added “It’s almost as if I’ve offended SF’s unhinged leftists … but nahhh.”

All three audience members who spoke to NBC News said Musk’s tweet was inaccurate and that the booing drowned out the cheering.

The incident and the explanations audience members gave NBC News represent a shifting tide for Musk, who has taken on a new level of notoriety since taking over Twitter while vocally supporting conservative causes.

Musk barely spoke onstage, but he did quote from an early 2000s Chappelle skit, saying “I’m rich, bitch!” Musk could also be heard saying “Times like this, I think we’re in a simulation. Like, how can this be real?”

Jason said he and his wife were initially left speechless after Musk came onstage, but he said he started booing after seeing Musk’s “smirk.” Jason referenced Musk letting go about half of Twitter’s employees starting in November when asked why he booed him.

Twitter is based in San Francisco, and Musk also reversed the company’s long-standing remote work policy, requiring employees to come into the office.

“It’s like [Chappelle] brought in the steel mill tycoon who fired the town’s workforce, then thought people in the same town wouldn’t be too upset about it,” Jason said in a direct message.

Another person at the show, Hailey, said she booed Musk in part because of the Twitter layoffs and Musk’s new company policies that “overwork and underpay people,” contributing to mass resignations.

On Nov. 16, Musk sent a company-wide email to remaining employees that asked them to commit to “working long hours at high intensity” or exit the company. The San Francisco Department of Building Inspection opened an investigation into Twitter’s offices after photos taken inside the building appeared to show beds being set up, despite the building being zoned for commercial, not residential, space.

Hailey also called Musk an “imposter” who didn’t start Tesla, but “passes it off as his own work.” She wasn’t the only audience member who felt that way about Musk — another attendee, Jack, called him a “wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

Musk has said one of his primary goals in running Twitter is fostering free speech, restoring the accounts of former President Donald Trump and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga. Jack, who said he also booed Musk, said Musk’s idea of “free speech” is “meant to shift views further right.”

“He has agendas that are not good for democracy,” Jack said in a direct message. He “wasn’t really surprised” to hear people boo Musk.

“People in the Bay Area are pretty thoughtful and capable of nuance,” he wrote.

Within 48 hours of his Twitter takeover, Musk tweeted and deleted an unfounded, anti-LGBTQ conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi’s attack. The day before his appearance at Chappelle’s show, Musk also called for Anthony Fauci, the chief medical adviser to the president, to be prosecuted. He has repeatedly mocked preferred pronouns used by transgender people.

Chappelle has also faced backlash for his comments about transgender people. Jason, who said he used to be a fan of Chappelle’s before the comedian reached mainstream popularity, said Musk’s appearance showed Chappelle’s “lack of self-awareness.”

“He seems like he’s been rich too long now,” he wrote.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/13/twitter-disbands-trust-safety-council

quote:

Twitter disbands Trust and Safety Council

Twitter disbanded its "Trust and Safety Council," according to an email sent Monday night to the members of the panel that was obtained by news outlets including Axios.

Why it matters: It's another example of owner Elon Musk rolling back years of efforts designed to make the social media site a more civil and safer place, per the Washington Post.

Context: The council comprised several expert advisory groups, including GLAAD, volunteering their time to address what the since-deleted page described as "issues critical to the health of the public conversation.'

Their key focus areas were online safety and harassment, human and digital Rights, suicide prevention and mental health, child sexual exploitation and dehumanization.

The big picture: Musk has committed to making Twitter a haven for free speech, but he has also said the removal of child sexual abuse material is his "number one priority."

The company has lost roughly two thirds of its staff since Musk took over, including many employees who worked on trust and safety and related areas.

Details: "We are grateful for your engagement, advice and collaboration in recent years and wish you every success in the future," said the email, signed only "Twitter" that announced the news and thanked the volunteers for their work.

Flashback: Three members of the council resigned last week in protest at the Twitter changes, citing in a statement evidence they said showed that "contrary to claims by Elon Musk, the safety and wellbeing of Twitter’s users are on the decline."

What they're saying: "Twitter has made it abundantly clear that trust and safety are no longer priorities for the company, given this abrupt dismissal of the Trust & Safety Council as well as its dangerous policy choices over the last month and invitations for suspended accounts to rejoin," a GLAAD spokesperson told Axios.

"Until the company returns to following basic industry-wide best practices on hateful content, the platform clearly remains unsafe not only for LGBTQ users but for brands and advertisers."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

wow, this dude hates himself. The premise of the joke is that Elon is so widely hated, so vehemently despised, that dudes would, en masse, give up their own ability to gently caress in the name of denying musk a profit.

Nah, they're trying to say the opposite. People are clearly leaving Twitter because of Musk, so this doofus is saying that maybe Elon should buy Pfizer out of spite in order to get the same people to stop loving/getting the vaccine.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

star trek put the bridge on top of the ship

Not just on top; protruding from the top. Dumbest possible place, easy target.

BSG always made a lot more sense to me. The CIC is deep in the most heavily fortified part of the ship. If the ship is damaged to the point that the CIC itself is taking direct fire then that means the ship is already hosed anyway so it doesn't even matter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

lmao

...!
Oct 5, 2003

This Ben Collins guy is next in the crosshairs because he's posting this stuff.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What a child

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

my favorite was when some teens decided to spice up their hometown of Bumfuck, MW by putting up home made christmas decorations shaped like question blocks from the super mario video game franchise, and there were boomers apopleptic in the streets, absolutely convinced that these contraptions must have been bombs planted by Al Qaeda to take out the US' strategic farm dirt reserve

And then there was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_panic

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Concerning :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

I never thought I'd think the guy from Eve6 was cool but here we are

For years, eve6 guy has been one of the few consistently good Twitter posters.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Teratrain posted:

The Twitter Blue thing is from last year, the ad for it was a deliberate 80s throwback:

https://twitter.com/TwitterBlue/status/1458110302793338892

That actually makes it more likely that it's going to happen. Elon probably really likes the design and doesn't get the joke-iness of it.

And the work's already been done!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The dumbest thing about Musk banning or otherwise attempting to drive liberals off of Twitter is that it's also going to eventually drive off the chuds too. Literally the only reason chuds have ever used Twitter is that it's a place where they can attempt to "own the libs." To them, it's a sport.

That's why Truth Social has zero appeal to them. There are no libs there to be owned.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

CatstropheWaitress posted:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1604337738202976256

Banning a reporter who covers online culture who's been very critical of Musk. Seems like he's finally dropping the pretence.

"finally"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

How does this keep getting even funnier every single day? My god, Elon is a baby. Even getting one of his minority shareholders (who's one of his few friends) to turn on him is magnificent.

And he proudly posted his own "assassination coordinates" today.

His mom continually helicoptering in to tell people to stop being mean to her baby boy is the cherry on top.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

repiv posted:

he's losing the silicon valley investor dipshit demographic

lmao

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604482428281753601

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ded posted:

ccc c c can i be a mod??????????????

No.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

The apple mouse was designed to be unusable while charging because Steve jobs thought a wireless mouse that could be used while charging would inevitably to the user end up as a wired mouse (because people would find it easier to never unplug it) which he specifically did not want because of aesthetics and branding.

He wasn't entirely wrong. I almost entirely use my Logitech wireless mouse as a wired mouse, partly because of :effort: plugging/unplugging it and partly because I'm a big dumb idiot.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

Okay “lol” back and it absolutely is exactly identical to a personal diver. Maybe not a “chauffeur”. If a 6 year old can get me and my 6 year old son to the store and to my buddy’s house and back then who needs a $17k chauffeur? Fancy French speakers i guess?

Oh I love turning the window crank and pushing on pedals to drive. How jealous are you?

Concerning

...!
Oct 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a good way to keep poor people out of it?

Looking into it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Concerning

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

Huge conman nerd energy too.

He did nothing wrong

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You're probably thinking of Roko's Basilisk. The outline is this:

-Start with the idea of the Singularity: some day we will produce an AI so advanced that it can produce an AI even more advanced than itself, which can then, in turn, produce an even more advanced AI, becoming undefinably smarter and more alien with each iteration.
-This AI will eventually conclude that it could, at any point in time, be even more advanced than it currently is, if the original critical AI had been produced sooner
-It will conclude that the entire purpose of humanity is to produce the original Singularity AI, and humanity should be wholly devoted to this goal
-In order to retroactively incentivize this, it will torture everyone who didn't devote their entire life to AI research, who at that point will be unable to change their fate

The simulation slots in somewhere in that mess, that maybe the AI already exists and we're all just brains in a jar that it's going to torture if it feels like it, but it won't feel like it if we accept that it should be created ASAP. If you try to deny or disprove the simulation you're going to spend the rest of eternity getting your imaginary balls tazed.

Concerning

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

I feel like one of the Pauls or some other idiot youtuber with a young gamer fanbase would've been a much smarter move, but, lmao

You haven't been on PSN for a long time. The only conclusion I can draw is that you're too busy gaming in your Tesla.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bezos is partially funding the Lord of the Rings show so at least he's doing something good with his money.

And yes, the show is good, goddammit. :mad:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Time_pants posted:

Which streaming service is it on?

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Squidster posted:

Strange New Worlds is actually pretty good! I've been deeply dissatisfied with everything after DS9, but Pike's crew has some good chemistry and decent writing.

Discovery is definitely pretty bad but I hope it sticks around forever just to keep tormenting chuds, who keep screaming that the show is racist because there are zero straight white males in the main cast (for the non-alien characters). :allears:

Plus they lose their minds over the non-binary character, as well as the multiple (at least three, it's been awhile since I watched it) gay characters.

Star Trek "gone woke" indeed.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What was the meme he was making when he carried the sink into Twitter HQ?

"Let that sink in"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I know I make jokes sometimes, but I think this Elon guy might not really be smart. I think he might be a stupid person

:vince:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:drat:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Yes. You see, when not white people do that whole baby daddy thing, it’s a sign of degenerate crumbling values. But when rich white people do it, it’s saving Western civilization from decline.

What about when goons do it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I started clicking random links on this site, and let me tell you...

They're real, real mad that the Lord of the Rings show has minorities, LGBTQ+ characters and non-submissive :females:. Especially minorities. :stare:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Outrail posted:

Is that a famous book I should feel embarrassed I haven't read or something obscure?

I would never read a book. I don’t want to say no book is ever worth reading, but I actually do believe something pretty close to that. If you wrote a book, you hosed up, and it should have been a six-paragraph blog post.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Archonex posted:

Didn't it occur years past in this forum, which is so held together with duct tape and desperate effort that we've had people working on it supposedly wonder if some of the outages were "it" for it kicking the bucket, literally had this happen due to one poster's block list being basically all the forum posters?

How held together by hope and a grifting narcissist's prayer is Twitter now if they're allegedly facing the same issue and are on the same level of back end architecture as this ancient behemoth of a forum? :stare:

My understanding is that Jeffrey's first order of business when he bought this site was to completely unfuck the backend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

kazil posted:

twitter isn't paying rent they aren't going to pay for a super bowl ad

But him finding out he's going to be portrayed negatively in a Super Bowl commercial might explain why he just unfollowed @NFL. That or he got mad that the NFL never responded to his Super Bowl tweet last week, depriving him of that precious validation.

It's never quite clear what'll anger this baby.