Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my senior guidance counselor said “if you drop out of math class you won’t be able to computers”

eat poo poo mr. miller. you’re still a guidance counselor and I interview college grads who were lazy and depressed in high school for the position I was hired into six years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

exact opposite for me. i got kicked out of the gifted program because i literally couldn't give a poo poo about anything so they sent me to the guidance counselor who tried to be all sly by saying, 'you know being a brick layer isn't a bad gig either' in an attempt to scare me straight :jerkbag:

I went through this a couple times in elementary school, for some reason they seemed to think that a gifted 6th grade isn't just going to gently caress around all day and get bored with no structure

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8XoovSlsM

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kazinsal posted:

eat poo poo mr. miller

i had a different mr miller but he can also eat poo poo

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

My Mr. Miller was a high school history teacher and he was actually alright

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

my senior guidance counselor said “if you drop out of math class you won’t be able to computers”

lmao i heard this all though HS and 15 years into my programming career ive barely used any math higher than a 5th grade level

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I used a lot of basic linear algebra in one job and once i had to make cubic splines out of quadratic ones but other than that yeah

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Kuvo posted:

lmao i heard this all though HS and 15 years into my programming career ive barely used any math higher than a 5th grade level

I've used a bunch of statistics and probability stuff but its not a common thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The most important even slightly higher math thing that you can learn is the concepts of a derivative and rates of change in various systems.

learn that and you now know how to upshift a manual transmission car without touching the clutch.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

The most important even slightly higher math thing that you can learn is the concepts of a derivative and rates of change in various systems.

learn that and you now know how to upshift a manual transmission car without touching the clutch.

welcome to the teamsters, here's your calculus textbook

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
taylor's theorem doesn't get enough love tbh

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i haven’t heard that album but I’m not sure if I’d describe her fans as lacking in overt love

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I dropped out of pharmacy school and got my BS in CS

wise choice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nvrgrls posted:

My Mr. Miller was a high school history teacher and he was actually alright

my mr Miller was also a high school history teacher but he had a deflated basketball for a brain

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

well it happened sooner than i thought, but it looks like the powers that be have decided to start laying the groundwork for a staged event to pull us back from the brink of armageddon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. no. a bunch of idiot tech blogs blew up a very tentative report that said they got a signal and it's almost certainly interference/a reflection from earth

quote:

...in 2020, the team discovered two groups of suspicious signals of extraterrestrial civilizations during the data processing of the “China Sky Eye” 2019 synchronic sky survey observations. In 2022, the team found another suspicious signal from exoplanet target observation data.

“The possibility that the suspicious signal is some kind of radio interference is also very high, and it needs to be further confirmed and ruled out. This may be a long process.” Zhang Tongjie said...

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 16, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
these are the same dipshits that will uncritically report that a google "ai" may be nearing sentience because some idiot had a meltdown after falling in love with a chatbot

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

okay i hope youre right

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 16, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kuvo posted:

going from design to development and it's almost the same. logic and conceptualizing flows has been way more useful and i certainly didn't get that from the (extra!) class my hs math teacher recommended for students she seemed to have a disdain for (artists)

oh, I'll need calculus for graphic design? i should definitely take your course? :jerkbag:

edit: maybe it was trig? i don't remember, all i know is if you were a jock or tough looking she let you sleep in class. if you were creative she made you feel poo poo for not wanting to do math more

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

everyone should take combinatorics tho, because it's applicable and theres no real prerequisites and its fun

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’m terrible at math and am lucky to have a friend that does pure math and can explain hard stuff to stupid me the few times I need it. basically make friends that do other things

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

math is for computers to do

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If I want to know the answer to a math question I simply ask my buddy Wolfram alpha, who is better at math than I am

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

math is for computers to do

no, computers do arithmetic

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
I was a Smart Boy and was told so repeatedly during my upbringing but it turned out the smartness would peak at grade 9, at which point I had to study but had no idea how because I never had to learn.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you were described as "gifted" in elementary school but also "lazy" in high school and were told you just needed to "apply yourself" there is a 99.9% chance you have ADHD

ADHD brain works really well when you're in elementary and middle school because everyone's standards for average are "can respond to questions within 30 seconds" and "can colour within the lines without eating the crayons" at that point. as soon as you have to actually put some effort in (high school) your brain doesn't work that way anymore and it's easier to just skip school and smoke fat joints behind the basketball court than it is to try to wrangle your ADHD into submission all while teachers, counsellors, and doctors go "you just need to apply yourself"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that used to piss me off, but now in my dotage where i've finally learned how to study i realize that nobody that was in a position to teach me at the time knew either

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kernel Sanders posted:

I was a Smart Boy and was told so repeatedly during my upbringing but it turned out the smartness would peak at grade 9, at which point I had to study but had no idea how because I never had to learn.

this happened to me too but in undergrad

Kazinsal posted:

if you were described as "gifted" in elementary school but also "lazy" in high school and were told you just needed to "apply yourself" there is a 99.9% chance you have ADHD

ADHD brain works really well when you're in elementary and middle school because everyone's standards for average are "can respond to questions within 30 seconds" and "can colour within the lines without eating the crayons" at that point. as soon as you have to actually put some effort in (high school) your brain doesn't work that way anymore and it's easier to just skip school and smoke fat joints behind the basketball court than it is to try to wrangle your ADHD into submission all while teachers, counsellors, and doctors go "you just need to apply yourself"

yeah turns out

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Kazinsal posted:

can confirm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

well i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do with this information now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
put your kids on drugs, obviously

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Stringent posted:

put your kids on drugs, obviously
And if you don't have kids, put me on drugs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
POKEY: DRUGS FOR EVERYONE!! HURRAY!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kazinsal posted:

confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

I defo think this is me, but I suspect I’d be considered too functional to be diagnosed and helped. it just sucks knowing you could be so much more successful and the limiting factor isn’t your skill or ability.

a life of mediocrity is probably all Ill ever achieve lol.