Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
A new trailer dropped for this show a few days ago and I was quite surprised to find that there was no thread for it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg86eQkdudI

It's no secret that the ending of Game of Thrones was a loving poo poo sandwich—one so fowl-tasting that it actually made me like Game of Thrones less. I used to be obsessed with this stupid-rear end show and its books, but after 2019 I barely ever think about Lannisters, Starks, or even Greyjoys anymore.

But this trailer, against all my better judgement, has me feeling a little bit excited. First off, looks like D&D are not attached at all which is good, and the plot is set during what I think is probably one of the most interesting periods in the ASoIAF timeline: The Dance of the Dragons, a civil war between rival Targaryans.

Post your speculation about the new GOT prequel here! Then, when it starts airing and it's terrible, shitposts may find their home in this thread as well.

Here's an older video as well just to fill out this OP a little more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutTzFxg5NU

Premieres on HBO on Sunday, August 21, 2022

timp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I fuckin respect this take

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

I remember the effort that went into the op for the early season threads and the last two seasons fittingly just had the YouTube link to the trailer. Nice to see House of the Dragon getting the same respect.

1000% agree that’s all the good will this show has earned so far

but also more generally effort-post OPs in TVIV are just so 2010’s, imo. Go to imdb if you want to see a still shot of every character. I’m also not trying to convince people to watch either cause I think pretty much everyone will have no problem forming their own opinions far before they ever find their way here.

So yeah in other words, :effort:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

At the height of Game of Thrones Mania, I bought the World of Ice & Fire in-universe encyclopedia guidebook and really enjoyed reading it

Same. Shortly after I got that book I took it with me on a solo camping trip, and there was one particular morning where it just rained nonstop. So I holed up in my tent and just read about the history of the kings of Westeros by lantern for the better part of the day, and I was enthralled. So many of the stories implied within the history of Westeros are such fun mirrors of real history, like Baelor's Christ-like barefoot pilgrimage to Dorne, that one young king who thought he was hot poo poo and got himself killed in a pointless war, the king that gave no fucks whatsoever and was just a horrible fat bastard to everyone, the wise king who only sat the throne for like a year but pretty much ran things for several decades prior as Hand....the list goes on.

And as I mentioned in the OP, I think this particular moment in time should feature a lot of those fun stories and characters within. And as another goon mentioned, this story has a clear ending already written which should hopefully, hopefully make a difference when it's time to wrap the series up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
New trailer dropped today

https://youtu.be/DotnJ7tTA34

More dialogue in this one, a few snippets of character interactions…first impression is that it looks more like early GoT than late. But I also know there’s a considerable amount of wishful thinking happening there :smithicide:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
this comes on tonight

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok seeing how we now have two active threads for this show maybe one of them should be a spoiler thread for the dorks who actually managed to slog their way through Fire and Blood

Mods please change the title of this thread to include something about this being the SPOILER thread, and maybe Escobar can see about changing the title of the other one to mention no spoilers. I've never had a thread I made get gassed before so that'll be cool

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is the official show thread now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010245

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like a wight raised by a White Walker, this thread has been revived and is sure to be horrific in nature

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know who needs to hear this, but Rhaeneyra gets eaten by a dragon

I wonder how they'll depict this. IIRC in the books it's a slow, terrible process—a far cry from Varys in the final season of GoT which I seem to remember was just like a quick torch and a single bite

Fun fact: The only two species that eat their food cooked are humans and dragons :eng101:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

ya lmao of all the horrible fictitious targs i also hate baelor the most

There's no denying it'd absolutely suck if he was your king, but you gotta admit the whole 'walk from King's Landing to Dorne and back, barefoot, AND make a pitstop to walk through a pit of vipers naked in order to save your brother' thing was kinda badass

Actually in retrospect, remembering that story makes me feel a bit better about Daemon and his plot armor in this episode. Targs just have an inborn power to do absolutely OP things sometimes.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

did anything bad actually happen during baelor?

IIRC nothing bad actually happened everyone just had to put up with his batshit insanity for a while

He outlawed prostitution

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

There's also Rhaenyra's kids coming out with brown hair. Maybe in Planetos, dark hair is just super aggressive when it needs to be for plot reasons?

THE SEED IS STROOOOOONGGGGG!!!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Hydronium posted:

Corlys Velaryon is a cool dude, I can't recall any bad things that he gets up to until arguably the very end of the Dance.

I loved when he was riding the dragon and scorched a bunch of dudes and went “WOOOO!!!” More of that relatable poo poo please

Fake edit: Nettles is still out there riding Sheepstealer to this very day imo :colbert:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

That was Laenor

Oh right, Corlys is his dad, Master of Ships. My B

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If this show lasts long enough to cover the reign of Aegon IV Targaryen the Trump metaphors are going to be insufferableeeee

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

roomtone posted:

not if you literally only read this and the other thread to discuss the shows and completely black out all insufferable media coverage pal

Hey get the hell out of my post history :D

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a canon mention of the fact that the Hightowers call their bannermen by shining a green light atop their tower? The line where one lord mentions that to the other during the bridal feast seemed like it was just added to underscore the importance of Alicent's green dress since her faction become the Greens during the Dance, but it seemed weird because...who associates green with war??

If I were to defend this choice by pulling an explanation out of my rear end, I'd say that the green light is produced using wildfyre, which is well-known in the realm as being Westerosi napalm. But I dunno, feels like they could have underscored it better/differently somehow?

Mameluke posted:

no black dress?

I was also a bit disappointed we didn't get a rival dress. When I saw that Rhaenyra was wearing a white dress during Alicent's entrance, I half expected her to be like "brb." and run upstairs to put on an even bigger black dress to one-up her :laugh:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bobjr posted:

Did Aegon IV get cut on the throne a lot? He even got the title "The Unworthy"

I don’t remember reading about him cutting himself on the throne but that’s probably because he almost never sat in it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Two things I feel increasingly sure of:

1) Luke and Aemond’s Storm’s End Showdown goes down this season (I guess that leak confirms I was right there)

2) Beesbury gets defenestrated soon.

World of Ice and Fire offers a few suggestions as to how specifically Ser Criston kills Lord Beesbury, the most likely of which is that he just slits his throat. But Cole tossing him out a window is the method that gets thrown out (heh) by Mushroom, and I feel like it’d be the most interesting, thematic, and potentially comedic way to do it.

The book does mention that Mushroom was at Dragonstone at the time, but meh. I Still Believe.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was wrong about Beesbury getting tossed out a window :smith:

Still looking good for the Storm’s End confrontation to happen next episode though; Jason Lannister was even nice enough to mention the Baratheons as an important house to recruit to their side first thing when the plotting started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Cole just happened to be holding the crown at the time and he was like, oh, should I just do it? I mean I could just pass it off but uh….yeah I should probably just do it right? *crowns king*

I had the same thought that it made no sense for him to do it based on his station, but I also feel like he’s the kinda guy who would volunteer to do it in a heartbeat so I bought it, especially in these especially uncommon circumstances