Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
This is a thread for the hugely anticipated History of the Targ, Part 1.

ft. Matt Smith: Former member of The Smiths, known for such hits such as Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman and Morpheus.

House of the Dragon is the prequel to the Game of Thrones HBO show, it follows House Targaryen throughout the War of Succession, and is what GRRM is currently focused on instead of writing Winds. The first episode airs August 21, 2022 on HBO Max. Season 1 will run 10 episodes, with endless options for renewal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this isn’t more like Lous(y) of the Drag-on! AM I RITE

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just don't see how it can be a better story than Bran the Broken's

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
raaar

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
looks like they made Paddy Considine king, just noticed.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

controversial take but I think this show will be reasonably entertaining

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

romanowski posted:

controversial take but I think this show will be reasonably entertaining

Definitely, I have high hopes for this.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hows about you be dragon these nuts across your face

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Showrunners are:

Ryan J. Condal - creator of mediocre show called Colony and writer of mediocre The Rock movies

Miguel Sapochnik - good director but literally not a writer at all

So my expectations are essentially rock-bottom.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i know how this poo poo works, did one of their parents work for Goldman Sachs and the fed?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really know if this merited a new thread

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

you shouldn't really put too much stock into movie writing credits I don't think. I don't know much about that show Colony but nothing I can find about it online makes it seem like a disaster or anything

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHoET7H0TY

Looks pretty hype, not gonna lie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mameluke posted:

I don't really know if this merited a new thread

Yeah, is there a reason we're not using this thread anymore?

Game of Thrones ended so badly I thought it had killed my interest forever, but I'm contractually obligated to watch this because it has Matt Smith in it and it's either I watch this or Morbius, and at least this MIGHT be good.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

So is this a 1 season deal thing or is it gonna go on for more? haven't read any of the source material

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, is there a reason we're not using this thread anymore?

Nobody in the GoT thread remembered it existed is why. If literally one single person had mentioned it we would have just bumped it.

Great Sepinwall review based on the first six episodes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

the GoT thread

That's still open!?! :eyepop:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

Nobody in the GoT thread remembered it existed is why. If literally one single person had mentioned it we would have just bumped it.

Welp, sounds like it has the same issue as the book has in that it's just a series of mundane events happening around an endless line of boring, identically named Targaryans.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Showrunners are:

Ryan J. Condal - creator of mediocre show called Colony and writer of mediocre The Rock movies

Miguel Sapochnik - good director but literally not a writer at all

So my expectations are essentially rock-bottom.

Colony was actually quite decent. It had a really good and consistent world building that you rarely see in a multi season sci-fi TV show. The family melodrama sucked of course, but that's a given. The sci-fi plot was really solid though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Escobarbarian posted:

quote:

(*) Yes, this is a show featuring prominent characters named both Rhaenyra and Rhaenys. Martin’s names are exasperating under the best of circumstances, but building a show entirely around the Targaryens only indulges the worst of his impulses regarding nomenclature — not only with these spellings, but with so many characters having names that are indistinguishable from their siblings or cousins, often making it impossible to figure out who is being discussed in a given scene. It also forces far too many actors to wear blonde wigs of various degrees of plausibility, with Paddy Considine’s looking particularly bad. For most of its run, GoT only had to wig up Emilia Clarke, and was better for it.

He... is aware that this is based off of a book right? He doesn't seem to have much faith in the general viewing audience being able to distinguish between characters because of names and wigs when GoT itself had many characters with samey names and just as many wigs!

I generally really like Sepinwall's reviews but I don't know about this one.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was kinda dissapointed by that take. You are a professional tv critic, you should be able to keep track of this information!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
On the other hand, a lot of casual viewers of the show, i.e. the majority of viewers, had trouble remembering basic names in GoT. I think it's a fair thing to point out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah. In GoT there were some characters with similar names (not nearly as many as the books, mind) but they were usually in completely different setting and storylines - or at the very least they were visually distinct.

It sounds like there's going to be a bunch of blond white Targaryans in the same place with the same names. I don't think it's a TV critic's job to put up with poo poo like that if the average viewer could struggle with it.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2022

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Dickon, lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
On a scale from 1 to 8, what are your expectations for the show? I feel like the ceiling is like 6, maybe 5, but perhaps they'll be well served by this being the first season.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm at about a 4. I expect it to be watchable, but I don't expect to be as into it as I was GoT at its height.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

stev posted:

Yeah. In GoT there were some characters with similar names (not nearly as many as the books, mind) but they were usually in completely different setting and storylines - or at the very least they were visually distinct.

It sounds like there's going to be a bunch of blond white Targaryans in the same place with the same names. I don't think it's a TV critic's job to put up with poo poo like that if the average viewer could struggle with it.

Rhaegar Targaryen had two sons names Aegon.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I have 0 expectations and intend to be very drunk, so i ought to be reasonably amused

the critic complaining about names is vastly underestimating a willing audience's desire to engage with fantasy bullshit tho imo

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SolarFire2 posted:

Rhaegar Targaryen had two sons names Aegon.

Yet another example of it being hilarious that grrm picked his bimbos for "having read the book," as much of the evidence that Jon's birth name was Aemon actually comes before the red wedding

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm at about a 4. I expect it to be watchable, but I don't expect to be as into it as I was GoT at its height.
Isn't season 4 pretty close to peak GoT?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't season 4 pretty close to peak GoT?

Nah you're thinking of 1 and 3 (2 close behind, then 4).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

stev posted:

Nah you're thinking of 1 and 3 (2 close behind, then 4).
I mean, relative to the depth it plunged to, 4 was pretty close, even if it wasn't the actual peak.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

season 6 is almost as good as 1-4 and I don't care what anyone says

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Matt Smith has that Hapsburg look going on, so this is pretty good casting.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I mean, if one of the things you liked about the original GoT books was it being fantasy late medieval/early modern history with some magic, a bunch of incestuous weirdos with the same 3 names politicking is kind of what exactly I want. It's a fair criticism if you're an executive trying to maximize profit, but it's not a good criticism of the show. I haven't spent thousands of hours playing CK2/3 to not enjoy a drama that hinges on a ruler trying to introduce cognatic succession rules against a self-interested conservative noble establishment invested in an agnatic principle.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Matt Smith has that Hapsburg look going on, so this is pretty good casting.

There are so many ways to say "Matt Smith is incest-handsome," and I've heard most of them thanks to this show that hasn't even premiered yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xealot posted:

There are so many ways to say "Matt Smith is incest-handsome," and I've heard most of them thanks to this show that hasn't even premiered yet.

Didn't he also play Prince Phillip in The Crown?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah. It's weird, I haven't seen much of his work since his first season of Dr. Who, he's definitely grown more incest-y looking as he's aged.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

stev posted:

It's nice that he's not getting type cast as a member of only hosed-up royal families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gresh posted:

season 6 is almost as good as 1-4 and I don't care what anyone says

Only the finale and that’s only because it’s them clearing the board to focus on the core storylines