Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An aging archetype that may soon go the way of the dodo, I have fond memories of my local town drunk, Omar. In West Philly, between 2005-2016, this small Moroccan guy would could be found at any street corner, bar, or party in various states of inebriation. There were multiple Facebook groups and a Reddit threads dedicated to his sightings and his antics. People loved to guess where he was from, whether or not he could really speak Spanish and French and Hindi, whether or not the mysterious limousine he would climb into from time to time was his wife’s or some other rich benefactor. Among my literally dozens of interactions with Omar over the years my favorites include:

-Bodyblocking a trolley so a stray cat could cross the street

-Posting up on the top step of a 10 foot ladder on a random street corner in West Philly and taking pulls from a whiskey bottle while heckling passers b

-waking up in my frat house at 5 AM to try and find all my clothes and the only other person awake downstairs was Omar, carrying on an animated conversation in French with a completely passed out guy on the couch

Do town drunks still exist? Are communities too insular and online to really develop the same kind of urban legend status that the town drunks of yester year cultivated ?

Goons, who were your town drunks? What did they do? We’re they charming in a sad way? Or sad in a charming way?

Thread dedicated to Omar, RIP to a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Someone hit and killed my hometowns dwarf guy this year he used to finger bang this other retarded chick when we road the short van together RIP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bust Rodd

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Two guys both just past middle age and completely RAVAGED by alcoholism and street life.

Both almost toothless, gigantic, bulbous noses with bumps all over, eyes rhummy, and wearing what would quite literally be 'hobo clown costume clothing' used to wander the streets of down town Green Bay in the early to mid '00s.

Speaking unintelligible slurring noises to each other that only elicited the other ones sincere laughter they would work from bar to bar getting told no at each one.

I met them myself MULTIPLE times because I worked along their 'route' as it was.

A real life Vladimir and Estragon

It's funny you posted this bit of synchronicity as I was thinking of them not even two days ago

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

scott zoloft posted:

Someone hit and killed my hometowns dwarf guy this year he used to finger bang this other retarded chick when we road the short van together RIP

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there aren't any town drunks anymore, because people are too online. apparently

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We had an older guy who would always be playing pool at the bar and then follow us early 20s kids home to after parties.
He would get smashed. The most notable time was when he went through every empty trophy bottle put out for display for any drop he could find when the party ran out.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

when i was a wee there was a woman we called Mad Pat who would wander around town drinking tinnies of beer and shouting a bunch. she loved celtic fc so you could wind her up by singing rangers fc songs or shouting that celtic were shite, and she'd go mental at you or try to chase you to batter you.

good times

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

everyone turn on your monitor, right now!!!

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
yeah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey_Jake

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm the community groundskeeper at a local park that is the gathering place for a lot of regular drunks. Provide first aid if needed, deal with violence when it rarely crops up, and clean up their poo poo when they leave for the night.

All decent people, often very funny, and they are just there because they don't have a lot going on, and their living situations are poo poo, so they would rather just be out in the park socializing with each other, no matter the weather.

It's actually good because hard drugs are not tolerated, so they keep all the junkies out. Drunks are annoying (and I speak from personal experience) but beats loving junkies any day. I've only rarely had to do naloxone on people there, vs the parks that have been taken over by junkies trying their best to die and ruining the whole park.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

:five:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I used to go to the pub on the corner for a couple pints and wings or whatev once or twice a week. There was an old dude there who seemed like a charming old dude who gets drunk and banters with other folks at the bar.

Then one day I guess he had too much and it was like a switch flipped and instead of small talk/bantering with other folks sitting at the bar, he started sexually harassing the bartender and I told him to get the gently caress out. I go much less often now, but I haven't seen that guy in a couple years, so I hope he's dead.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Fattest PI posted:

I used to go to the pub on the corner for a couple pints and wings or whatev once or twice a week. There was an old dude there who seemed like a charming old dude who gets drunk and banters with other folks at the bar.

Then one day I guess he had too much and it was like a switch flipped and instead of small talk/bantering with other folks sitting at the bar, he started sexually harassing the bartender and I told him to get the gently caress out. I go much less often now, but I haven't seen that guy in a couple years, so I hope he's dead.

ty for ur service

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
If you don’t know the town drunk it’s probably you!! Haha

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Gasmask posted:

If you don’t know the town drunk it’s probably you!! Haha

There is no need to be mean.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There was this guy who liked to chase the busses OP but they made him leave when he got hit by one of the busses so now he has to alcholoism somewhere else.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

how'd they get the entire town drunk hahahaha

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

how'd they get the entire town drunk hahahaha

OH SNAP

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This medical professional got jokes ya'll

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

scott zoloft posted:

I used to drive that van!

You still got her number???? Glad the dwarf is dead. I poo poo in the van one time and blamed it on him.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Why would you genderswap Cuphead when the show already provided you with Ms Chalice, OP?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The guy in the OP is surprisingly attractive gee

:(

I don't know about town drunks really but I do know that older big time alcoholic women tend to all look the same thin and they have no rear end

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bust Rodd

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Do town drunks still exist?

This would've been when I was in high school but one kid I went to school with had a grandpa that was the town drunk. Every morning he would wake up and go get shitfaced at the bar. Then around noon he would attempt to walk home through this one alley that had two poles sticking out of the ground (they were for a chainlink gate that had been removed and were probably four feet apart). If he managed to walk in between them without bumping into them he would turn around and go back to the bar to keep on drinking. He would do this throughout the day at various intervals.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I live in Phoenix so all of the town drunks got shot by police

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Spinz posted:

The guy in the OP is surprisingly attractive gee

:(

I don't know about town drunks really but I do know that older big time alcoholic women tend to all look the same thin and they have no rear end

When I was in college, so ‘06-‘10, we would frequently see Omar causing havoc and doing his thing and then randomly a Lincoln town car or otherwise nice small limo would pick him up and he’d disappear. The rumor I heard from many locals was that Omar was married to a very large, ugly, and fat old European business lady and they lived out in the suburbs and rather than sit at home on silk cushions feeding her cats all day he just hung out in town drinking until she sent someone to go get him and bring him home.

King poo poo, IMO

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Tell me more about Drunk Town

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Where the barf is green and the folks are lovely

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

scott zoloft posted:

did you turn stupid over the pandemic or something? lol

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Professor Shark posted:

did you turn stupid over the pandemic or something? lol

I'm out of the van

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
dunno about town drunk but there's like four generations of a well-to-do family that live in a house a bunch down from me, and one of the sons is 100% smashed 100% of the time. at any time of morning, day or night there's a solid chance you can spot him stumbling up and down the street in his weird triangular woollen hat, bag of tinnies in hand, starting up conversations with anyone who accidentally makes eye contact or gets caught unawares while washing their car or weeding their front garden.

It's funny seeing people notice him but cross the street too late get nabbed, trying to politely say 'anyways nice seeing you mate' and walk away but he just follows them talking at them about Arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We had several town drunks. One was enough of a local celebrity he was a recurring character in the amateur theatre. All dead now for some reason...

One of them was one of the richest people in town from his parents having shitloads of forest, but he was "a bit" mentally disabled and had an state appointed minder who managed his finances for him so he lived pretty poorly, used to walk around with his dog in various states of inebration. Died recently and everyone was sad about it, he was well liked actually.