Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the governor of my state said he was going to send all immigrants who come here to delaware, which is nice of him

delaware may not be exciting, but it's gotta be better than florida. a lot of people don't like the guy, but you gotta hand it to him on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we just had a new controls programmer start at my work today here in canada, he's fresh in from nevada. his family is portuguese in heritage but have lived in america for like 150 years. he moved here because i guess there was a shooting at his daughters school recently and that + the increasing racial violence and just political violence in general has made him fear for his families safety (he says he looks "mexican" according to his racist compratiots). i can't imagine living in a place like that lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Grandparents on both sides left a Europa ravaged to build a homeland for the Jewish people, there's a thread in D&D detailing just how much of a mistake that's continuing to be.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Galewolf posted:

I think, when I'm like proper old (in less than ten years) I might crave for something more relaxed and outdoors-y. While the idea of Bri-ish countryside is appealing, I think I prefer having a more wild open space rather than immaculately trimmed hedges of the Southern Yorkenshire.

NYC is also an option but I don't know if I can handle another round of London. Living close to ocean is also my goal. I kinda like the states and people be like "oh you'll be so Paris Syndrome-d when you finally go there and even like 40 year old jaded me was like "Well, that was awesome!" but I guess living in a country is a different beast.

My one and only MAJOR concern is healthcare, or the lack of universal one. I don't want to fall into some sort f crack or insurance company loophole and not be able to afford...living. I know NHS is far from being perfect but BY GOD it's a major relief to know that it's there.

lol NYC is impossible to Paris syndrome since movie NYC is absolutely never a shiny happy place unless it's one of those romcoms that take place entirely in a penthouse (or Friends I guess)

Otherwise like what, are people like "no no, your impression of New York brought upon by Scorcese movies and Nas albums will set you up to expect glamor and glitz!"???

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Grape posted:

lol NYC is impossible to Paris syndrome since movie NYC is absolutely never a shiny happy place unless it's one of those romcoms that take place entirely in a penthouse (or Friends I guess)

Otherwise like what, are people like "no no, your impression of New York brought upon by Scorcese movies and Nas albums will set you up to expect glamor and glitz!"???

Don't forget How I Met Your Mother :colbert:

But yeah, that comment was aimed at my excitement about the US not NYC in particular. Of course as a tourist my view is biased because I don't have to live with the problems (I had like £20 million travel insurance for like £25) but overall it was a nice experience. People were absolutely more sociable and sincere than UWotMate Island and I loved being able to speak "American" as culturally I grew up with that and conversations felt natural.

I loved when people, especially people not from NYC (locals absolutely cannot give less gently caress) got extremely interested and, like, excited, when they heard I was living in London. "Man, that must be so cool" as opposed to hearing yet another rant about how London is poo poo and everyone living there are wankers.

I liked NYC being proper 24 hour joint even in like peak Delta, I imagine it would be much better now. The prices for nightlife is atrocious though. I took my local friends to a venue I've found in East Village, entry was $15 + 2 Drinks minimum for 2 hour live music then they be like "Hey guys if you want to stay for the next round, you have to pay another $15 + 2 drinks min or we have to kick you out" which was like wtf bro.

The "add tax + tip to list price" thing was pretty frustrating but I don't have strong feelings against it since it's a norm, paying your workers human money would be really nice tho guys, just sayin. Banking is a bit weird, I was :supaburn: panicking when a waiter picked up my CC and literally left I was like uhhhhhh. I got used to it by New Orleans which they prompty managed to overcharge me in a restaurant by mixing the tabs, they fixed it though but that gave me some cold sweats seeing a $120 charge for a plate of gumbo and diet Coke.

Of course as a tourist my view is biased but I felt that I can live there, considering my home country (Turkey) spiraling bad each day

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm a South African immigrant and the US is as poo poo as South Africa

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Das Boo posted:

My completely American sister got her bank account shut down and her phone tapped because her husband's parents were MPs in an Islamic country, lol.

Coworker's fiancée's last name was Muhammed and she got picked for the "random" TSA extra scrutiny searches every time. It was a little silly as she has a masters degree in chemical engineer and works at Boeing designing the aircraft.

When some of my ancestors were setting up farms in northern WA state one cousin was too far north so when they finally got the border figured out he shrugged and became Canadian.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm a South African immigrant and the US is as poo poo as South Africa

I have an liberal immigrant Afrikaner coworker and I get the impression a big reason for him leaving is it's not the best place for a gay guy.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve met and gone on dates with several women from not-america, each has told me she was a grad student visiting the large city I lived in for school, and then fairly quickly revealed they are secretly actually there on a work visa that would end in several months and wanted someone to live with in some kind of “arrangement,” but “don’t worry I can work in a restaurant I know a guy” as they overstay their paperwork

like, several, in a row. to the point I got weirded out by it.

this story isn’t going anywhere that’s it, not something I felt comfortable with.

“We can date if you want” were a series of words said to me

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Galewolf posted:

I was :supaburn: panicking when a waiter picked up my CC and literally left I was like uhhhhhh.

this is the stupidest thing about america.

how is this even remotely normal

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Methanar posted:

the rampant gun violence is stupider imho

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Methanar posted:

If you don’t let the waiter take your card they are allowed to shoot you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How much did you tip the immigration official

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

How much did you tip the immigration official

bribery is illegal im not that kind of immigrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

kntfkr posted:

uscis can suck my fuckin balls

USCIS straight up lost my husband's paperwork for a year or two in the middle of the process. It sucked so bad.

Now several of his coworkers are trying to get their green cards and they've been told the estimated wait is 25-100 years. What a fantastic hell country we've got here.