Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Ablative posted:

I want to say he was the emcee but that might have been 2020.

I... wanna say he shocked everybody by winning the race? Or at the very least not DDing it up nearly as hard as usual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
He definitely did win a Run once

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel like it must have been last year that he won, because the closest I remember him getting to winning was a couple years back where he was the first one into the Void, but he was like "I FORGOT TO GET ALL THE WEAPONS" and that put him behind to the point where he got third or something.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like it must have been last year that he won, because the closest I remember him getting to winning was a couple years back where he was the first one into the Void, but he was like "I FORGOT TO GET ALL THE WEAPONS" and that put him behind to the point where he got third or something.

I remember that happening to Puwexil once...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DD won The Run two years ago

Last year he came in second place, 6 minutes behind 1st and 4 seconds ahead of 3rd

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DD has been competitive the past few runs. Still does some weird poo poo sometimes, but that's just part of the fun now

The worst thing about the Fiesta is that its still a month away. :(

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 17, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

To pass the time, if you have FF5PR, you might want to check out FF5: Abridged.

From the page for it:

Final Fantasy V: Awesome Battles Randomized Involving Danger, Gilgamesh, and Ex Death
Welcome to my eleventh randomizer, this one from the Pixel Remaster of Final Fantasy V! In this randomizer, I have created a REALLY Big Bridge! 12 segments, in fact, with each segment containing lots of monsters. At the end of each segment, you will fight progressively more difficult bosses.

As with FF4: Fabul Gauntlet, this will test how well you can manage your resources as you go through each segment.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I've only completed this once, should be fun to try again. Maybe I should try the game normally one day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's really hard to beat FFV without restrictions. Options paralysis is a huge issue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ultrafilter posted:

It's really hard to beat FFV without restrictions. Options paralysis is a huge issue.
For real. As long as you have an even halfway decent party (and most parties are somewhere between 'decent' and 'busted'), it's an excellent way to experience the game for the first time. My first real attempt to play through FF5, ever, was Fiesta, and mostly blind (with occasional pushes in the right direction from now-friends in the Discord).

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I've never played through FF5 non-fiesta like.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The last time I played FF5 non-fiesta was... oh hell, 2003, gently caress me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feldegast42 posted:

I've never played through FF5 non-fiesta like.
I will say that doing a single 100% run is fun

you get to pick up chests you have never even seen before (lookin at you Island Shrine)
you get to absolutely murder everything (even the Sealed Temple is borderline trivial if you take off the weighted clothes)
you get to experience FFV without any pressure at all to care about anything other than "big rapid fire :)"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will say that doing a single 100% run is fun

you get to pick up chests you have never even seen before (lookin at you Island Shrine)
you get to absolutely murder everything (even the Sealed Temple is borderline trivial if you take off the weighted clothes)
you get to experience FFV without any pressure at all to care about anything other than "big rapid fire :)"
I meant to do that last year as a Fiesta warm-up but abandoned it pretty early on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

theshim posted:

The last time I played FF5 non-fiesta was... oh hell, 2003, gently caress me

1998 for me, since I would have played the fan patch when it was new and never again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've never beaten FFV without either Fiesta-level restrictions or cheating my way to mastering every job. Now that the Pixel Remaster is out I'm rectifying that.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Speedrunning it is fun! (Except for the first 25 minutes being mostly cutscenes)

Shameless plug for my WR run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTLipG9h7E

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

As someone with bad brains, the only way to beat FFV non-fiesta is by grinding out every job on every character.

Then just using the most powerful combinations.

Use Game Genie codes if you want, it still counts.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Maybe it's not a good idea to do the Sealed Temple. I did it once, and that was enough. I'll think of another toxx.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 23, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think I played 2 times to 100% completion when the PSX came out. Then never touching it again until I learned of FIesta. I 100%'d PR and that'll tide me over for another 20 some years for mastering everything. Fiesta all the way forever now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I'm currently doing a playthrough where each character only uses their crystal's jobs to see how that goes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I'm currently doing a playthrough where each character only uses their crystal's jobs to see how that goes
...okay, that sounds loving rad, actually.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot that the Fiesta was nearly upon us.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

As someone with bad brains, the only way to beat FFV non-fiesta is by grinding out every job on every character.

Then just using the most powerful combinations.

Use Game Genie codes if you want, it still counts.

I bought a SFC cart used, and I looked at the save file that came with it, before I erased it and started a new game. I didn't appreciate until later that every job for every character had the mastery stars over their head. Probably some Japanese kid with a game genie ... but who knows, maybe it was some insane person.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

It's not that time consuming (relatively speaking) to max all the jobs in the last bit of the rift because some of those encounters drop 100s of AP

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It does mean you have fight through the last part of the rift though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Is there a reason the thread only stayed stickied for a few days? I feel like this happened last year too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I noticed too and I think it ends up sticked once Fest actually begins?

At least it was unstickied and not moved to retro games.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't question the capriciousness of the mods, I just post thread and maintain Carby. :v:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

It's not that time consuming (relatively speaking) to max all the jobs in the last bit of the rift because some of those encounters drop 100s of AP

Lessee.. about 13k AP needed, at 199 per Mover encounter ~= 64 encounters, minus what AP you show up with. Rare encounter same as a rare drop. Maybe about like grinding ~60 reflect rings in the barrier tower with a non-poo poo Fiesta team?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sax Solo posted:

Lessee.. about 13k AP needed, at 199 per Mover encounter ~= 64 encounters, minus what AP you show up with. Rare encounter same as a rare drop. Maybe about like grinding ~60 reflect rings in the barrier tower with a non-poo poo Fiesta team?
Please, god. No one do this to themselves. With the Matrix version defunct, there's not even an achievement for it any more!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

girl dick energy posted:

Please, god. No one do this to themselves. With the Matrix version defunct, there's not even an achievement for it any more!
pixel has a cheevo for it

and because quicksave glitch doesn't work I sure as gently caress didn't do it in the rear end end of the void

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Does the PR cheevo require you to master every job with every character or just one character per job?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ultrafilter posted:

Does the PR cheevo require you to master every job with every character or just one character per job?
Neither! It's "every job on one character", which is basically the same as every job on every character except it won't be Lenna and probably won't be Krile either because they're both gone from the party for a fixed bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is there a reason the thread only stayed stickied for a few days? I feel like this happened last year too.

I stuck it for three days just to let people know there's a new thread.

I'll sticky it again once preregs start.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I stuck it for three days just to let people know there's a new thread.

I'll sticky it again once preregs start.
Fair enough! Thanks, boss.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
My first run will be Normal on Pixel Remaster, and Job Fair Summoner for Water Crystal. Not sure what plans for runs past the first run are.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Decided to order a handheld for roms and, god drat it, I'm going to finish the Fiesta this year.

hotdog feet fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 21, 2022

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Question: What do White Mage, Dancer, Geomancer, Bard, Chemist, and Dancer all have in common?
Answer: They're all Team 750 jobs that can't use rods.

:toxx: 750 minus 750: For every team that beats the game using only the above jobs (doesn't have to be a Team 750 run), I'll donate $7.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Red Metal posted:

Question: What do White Mage, Dancer, Geomancer, Bard, Chemist, and Dancer all have in common?
Answer: They're all Team 750 jobs that can't use rods.

:toxx: 750 minus 750: For every team that beats the game using only the above jobs (doesn't have to be a Team 750 run), I'll donate $7.50.

You like dancing, huh