Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
And here I thought the power of friendship in VFD was pretty broken already. Those poor dragons stand no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
And there it is. The Crown Jewel of VFD's preposterously player-stacked power curve. I've never done it, though I will next time I play VFD, but everything I've seen strongly implies 9 Rune Knights doing a Unison Attack just does HORRIBLE things to whatever they're aiming at.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This is the other reason why Duelists and Fortuners aren't too liked, because having them in the backup parties severely limits how much you can spam Unison due to how slow their meters build up.

VFD decided to answer the question of "what happens if you get to use your entire party in an RPG without being constrained by party count limitations" and the answer is exactly as game shattering as you'd expect. And then they made it so that enemies can't act on the turn you use it to go the extra mile because that's just what VFD does.

There is no more game. There is only a pile of weeping code.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Welp, been nice knowing whatever semblance of balance the game had left, no matter how minuscule it was. It's gone now.

(update at the bottom of last page)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XLI - Featuring: Not much new

Music: Battlefield - Furious Predator

There's one more dragon left on this floor.

It's another Little Dragon.

And while we're on the subject of stalling...

Starting with a two pair is an easy setup for Judgement. Either I luck out and draw the two missing cards I need, or I just have to use a searcher to get them.

And then it hits Yuno again for good measure.

This is actually some respectable damage for a counter, considering all of them are level one!

Shame Duelists have no way to actually draw attacks to them.

The third trap goes down.

And at the end of the turn...

:fuckoff:

And just think, Yuno has had this available since the start of Chapter 3! Even Nyala only had 5K LF!

However, since you're looking at 3-4 turns to set this up, Yuno's damage per turn is only around 1K. Opal doing two Jab -> Quartettos probably isn't that far behind.

That's the floor cleared out, and we have enough Dz to get the next shop tier.

Music: Let's Get to Work!!

So I go upgrade.

You obtained Energy Bar x1.

Everyone else gets the usual gear.

While Mage and Banisher both get three tiers of new weapons.

Also uh...

Uhhhhhhhhhh...

And before we head back!

Music: UE77 Tokyo

Did you know!

Music: Berg - Ultimate Sea Palace

That Tallieri is still here!

Just chilling in the throne room!

Bro, there is literally no one left in Atlantis.

You want to, I don't know, come to Nodens and help your people mourn the loss of their native land and adapt to a future they never could have dreamed of?

No?

Okay!

We now go from Ladyin to Ladyin.

Music: Ladyin - Spiral Ruins

The second floor has our first instance of dragons that we can't reach on foot.

So we have to wait for one to get close...

And start a fight!

Music: Battlefield - Eden

There's a turn to kill before the dragon shows up, so I have everyone buff up.

Fun fact: This is actually the first time I've used Hide.

Agents are simply too busy hacking people to do non-hacking related things.

I have Yuno set up traps for funsies.

Wow, they're not even doing palette swaps anymore.

And if you're wondering where Forval Dragon Alpha is, they're...

...in the bonus dungeon???

Oh, hold on, I have two traps up.

Dragon! Congratulations!

You have been granted a momentary stay of execution!

Perish.

That's one use case for JudgementDestiny Board, I guess.

I kill the other flyer.

Then go get the rest.

That's floor 2 done.

Only for another cutscene to kick in at the start of floor 3.

There's a dragon ahead.

Oh poo poo, really? I never could have guessed!

A dragon roars.

Hm, if I enter the volume and range of the noise into my Mr. Dragon Measure machine... Got it! The owner of that roar is approximately 30 meters in length. It's undoubtedly a High Dragon~!

Mayhem got the entirety of Chapter 2 dedicated to killing it.

This one is a literal speedbump on our way to kill Haze.

Let's go beat that High Dragon.

I have to agree. Once we have found a High Dragon, we cannot simply leave it be!

~

Let's look around some more first.

Sounds good to me~! I wanted to gather some more samples anyways~...

There is no time for that! Once we have found a High Dragon, we cannot simply leave it be!

~~

Exactly. We won't be able to examine the area adequately with a High Dragon lingering around.

I agree with Lady Emel. We should defeat the High Dragon first, then we can take our time and explore.

Mm, I suppose~. OK, I guess I can't really object~...

Very well! Let us prepare to vanquish the High Dragon!

But first: a new floor.

We have more flying dragons.

And also some places to jump, which have only been seen at the start of Cladeon until now!

Oh hey, I'm right next to another flier.

The stairs around the edge are blocked off.

And there's a save point and exit. The High Dragon has to be on the next floor.

Team 3, go!

They never let me down.

Now that they're only a few levels behind the others, they can pull their weight in Ladyin.

Bomb Scatter is a fun little skill that gives the entire party a bonus to fire damage and burn infliction rates. And since this is a buff, it can stack with Vivian's Destructive Sweep.

Shame it doesn't have priority, so GEORGE! used it after Thomas attacked.

It does buff his own Dragon Buster, however, an AOE attack that gets a hefty bonus against dragons.

We got a cat.

And the end of the floor.

Next time: Emel catches a case of the blues.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

One shotting a group of dragons in 3 to 4 turns is somehow considered too slow for the game. VFD power creep is unreal.

Forval Dragon Betas aren't any different from the original version aside from scaled up stats. Skill and AI data are exactly the same. Kinda weird naming scheme.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLII - Featuring: A boss we killed two chapters ago

This floor just has the High Dragon.

There's a lot of broken segments to jump over.

That path leads to the dragon.

But I can still try to skip past it.

Figured as much.

Also there is clearly a cat hanging out with the High Dragon.

As a reward for their quick study, Team 3 can take care o-wait.

They didn't.

Oh my loving god its just Mayhem.

I guess it's fossilized, so that would make it a High Dragon Mayhem Fossil...? Has it been lurking around here for the past 20,000 years...?

Jil and I will protect Lady Ulania and Lady Emel!

We will be counting on you, Unit 13! Sailas, you stay behind me, too!

Let me see what you've got, Unit 13...!

Pay no mind to the fact that Cladeon is quite literally the furthest possible point away from Ladyin. Gotta save those pennies somehow!

Video: VS Mayhem Fossil
Music: Battlefield - No. 7 Incursion

Mayhem Fossil gets the same intro animation as the original.

Vivian and GEORGE! set up.

Hold on, why is Thomas using an AOE move on a single enemy? Did I fumble an input?

No, actually, I did this for a very good reason:

See, what the game does absolutely nothing to mention is that the Burn on Volcano is... slightly different.

By which I mean that instead of cutting ATK/MAT/DEF/MDF by 10%, it cuts them by 30%. A 10% debuff is already extremely good in VFD, so tripling the cut makes Volcano absolutely absurd! And since I can combine Bomb Scatter and Destructive Sweep, Thomas will be nearly guaranteed to land it once everything is maxed out.

AI-wise, Mayhem Fossil is almost identical to Mayhem, however it has picked up a single new move in Silver Flash, and AOE attack that attempts to inflict Paralysis.

The power of Volcano's super Burn is already showing itself, with Mayhem's damage being dropped to a measly 25 against a squishy Mage.

I forgot I already did one for this, so have some more Bomb Scatter!

With all the focus on leveling Volcano, Thomas is just shy of maxing out Recover, so I push through the poison.

It was at this moment that I remembered that Mayhem will always use Imperial Wrath to clear any ailments on it.

Eh, the Burn was good while it lasted.

Just like Mayhem, Fossil sets up Dragon Action at the start of turn 3.

Also just like Mayhem, I immediately break it.

Volcano's Burn fails to land, and then Aiden sticks his, stopping Volcano from working until it falls off.

But that doesn't matter too much here.

Because come on now, it's Mayhem. We chumped this guy ages ago!

Music: Finish Them Off

Haha... Hahahaha! So this is the strength of humanity...! We're coming for you, Haze!

Hwahhh!?

And then some random cube thing!

It just rises out of the ground!

What is the matter, Sailas? Did you find something?

This place was the control center for our waterways. That device could have been used for that...

Can I have it!? Please, please, can I have it!?

U-Um...

You insolent fool! Step away from Lady Ulania!

Sailas... you're scaring her. Women don't like men who are too pushy, you know?

What do you plan on using that device for, Sailas?

Teeheehee~! To reseal Haze, obviously! Haze hasn't completely broken free from within its Dragonslayer prison, right? In that case, all we have to do is reverse the entropy flow from the outside and reseal it again. It's theoretically possible, but the seal is a very tricky thing to handle. Having said that, I could prove my theory with this device~!

I'm sorry, what?

Resealing it is pointless... All dragons... must die.

How does a waterway control device allow you to reverse entropy!?

Have you been disregarding the laws of thermodynamics, Ulania?

Emel walks off.

It is not a problem, Ms. Brijilt. These ruins belong to Eden. If there is something here that can help you, feel free to take it.

Yesss! That's what I like to hear~! I'm~! So~! Pumped~! Up~!

Seriously, this cat has just been hanging out with a High Dragon. It gives zero fucks.

With that, we can head to the next floor.

Ah, there she is.

And Aytel too!

Ah, there she is! Our mystery woman~!

My sister... Emel?

This girl must truly be...

Correct. She is my Hypnos counterpart... Aytel.

But... why is Commander Emel's sister in such a place...?

Do you want to know why?

I think I know why...

Do you really want to know?

Listen well, Aytel... He is no longer here. His soul was lost when Haze was sealed. And now Haze has returned. We will surely kill it this time, Aytel... Lend me your hand!

Takehaya. She's looking for Takehaya.

No... Stop, my sister... Why would you tell me such a lie...?

Takehaya, who was her love interest in 2020.

Takehaya, who was killed by the party in 7D1 for the Dragon Chronicle.

Have you forgotten the mission entrusted to us by Hypnos!?

And who brought the party to him? Aytel herself! For the exact purpose of killing him!

Mission...? I care not for that...

So while Emel's suffering from Alien Hate Ghost, I dunno, Arthritis or something, Aytel has suddenly come down with Alien Love Ghost Dementia and has spent the past century looking for a man she should know is dead.

What!? Do you even understand what you're saying!?

My sister... The one I seek... He granted me a joy that could have lasted for time eternal... And yet now... all that remains is sadness. Will you continue...? Detesting dragons? Killing them?

Of course! My hatred for dragons will never run its course! Not until the last one is dead! I will never forgive them... Even if you won't help me... I'm going to keep killing them!

Music: Stops

Emel? You okay?

Oh no she's turning blue. That can't be good.

Lady Emel! Lady Emel! Please, get a hold of yourself! Oh, what should we do...?

Commander! What is happening to the commander!?

Looks like this in an emergency. We'd better get out of these ruins, now!

*nods*

Meanwhile...

Music: Kazan - Drowning in Petals, The Future

Things in Kazan look... different.

What...? What is happening here!?

Sailas... Do you know why Lady Emel is like this?

Hmm~... The Hypnos sisters exist as incarnations of a strong desire or thought. That girl Aytel's thoughts seemed to be faint... It was almost as if she was beginning to disappear... Since Aytel is Emel's counterpart, Aytel's disappearance might be disrupting their equilibrium...

But Sailas! What about this blue Dragonsbane!?

Even I don't know that, Jil~! I will have to research into all of these unexpected events...

You say that, but Eden's finest research facility in Preloma is already engulfed in Dragonsbane. Not even a halfway decent facility remains in Eden now...

Would you let me use your era's research facilities?

Th-That is correct! The scientific power of their era created that spatio-temporal... thing!

Unit 13, the speed and strength of the blue Dragonsbane's miasma is quite dangerous. Unlike normal Dragonsbane, this stuff can damage even you. At this rate, Eden will be gone before we get the chance to defeat Haze... Furthermore, Emel's status is quite worrying... In any case, we won't be able to continue on until I get the chance to research this blue Dragonsbane.

Please... help Lady Emel!

Opal... I understand the pain they feel. I cannot sit by and think of this as a minor issue. You must do something. Please...!

Opal nods.

Unit 13...!

Or what, I've already gone over the reasons you can't fire us. You can't dock Unit 13's pay either, because Nodens doesn't pay us to begin with!

Hmph... I guess we don't got much choice. Julietta's totally fawning over that four-eyes, anyways. Just hurry up and get your rear end back here! Got it!?

I will take care of Lady Emel here in the guild hall. I'll be awaiting good news from you all.

Leave it to us! I will make Sailas figure this out, even if I have to slap his butt to speed him up!

Please don't~! My butt would explode if you hit it with your brutish strength, Jil~!

Hahaha! Then I suggest you finish your Dragonsbane research quickly if you want to avoid that fate!

Psh, you don't even have to tell me~! It won't be a problem with the technology from Unit 13's era!

Um... Lady Ulania. Even though it is in turmoil now, Eden is a nice place. The Federated States of Mylos, where Brijilt's from, and the Aizhen Empire, where I grew up... I will show them both to you once things have settled down.

Sorta sad how there's no one from Nevanplace in the group. Would have been interesting to see how they treat Emel after the whole 'shoving 1000 people into a soul-powered cannon to snipe Nyalasomeone' thing went down.

Thank you, Nagiri. We shall surely fulfill that promise, someday.

All of the red Dragonsbane in Kazan has turned blue.

And like Sailas said, walking in it now damages us, just like the good old days of 7D1.

It only deals 5 damage a tick, but unlike 7D1 we can't mow the lawn by walking over it, so the damage tiles are permanent.

Uber-Curious Girl: N—No... I just wanted to be their friend... *cough* *cough*

...Have you learned nothing from history, girl!? Even Mylos has learned their lesson by now!

Confident Huntsman: H-How are you weaklings fine right now!? I can barely breathe...!

Resolute Boy: Dammit... I won't forgive you dragons! Someday, I'm gonna beat all of you...!

Composed Man: Is this our punishment... for hunting dragons...?

Kazan Resident: *cough* *cough* I did not expect it to be... this painful...

~

Poor Boy: *cough* *cough* N-No... What should I do...? I don't even have money to see a doctor... *cough* I guess I'm fated to die here...

Female Huntsman: I let my guard down... To think I'd be defeated by something as simple as this... *cough*

We should check in on Emel before we head back.

...Oh that is a lot of Dragonsbane.

I'm sure she'll be fiiiiiiiiiine.

Next time: Emel is not fine.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 28, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:ughh:

If you have no idea what went on in 7th Dragon 1, you'll be missing a few details, but you'll probably get the general gist of things, and it works kind of well enough I suppose.

If you have played 7th Dragon 1, yeah this is just nonsensical. The scene with Aytel makes absolutely no sense when Takehaya is long dead, and she was there to witness the 7th Dragon 1 party killing him! Did the writers for this game have like incomplete cliffnotes for what happened in DS or something?

It also doesn't help that the budget for this chapter is breaking down hard. A reused dungeon and a reused boss, both of which make absolutely no sense to be here other than to save on assets and money making a new dungeon and midboss for the chapter.

Mayhem Fossil (how the gently caress) isn't that much different from Mayhem. A few of its skills got upgraded, but it's AI is nearly identical to Mayhem's, only changed to account for the addition of Silver Flash.

quote:

Mayhem Fossil (LV. 42/39)
-Dragon Fog: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1x damage. 40% chance to inflict Blind for 3 turns. Blinded targets have their accuracy multiplied by 0.55x. 80% chance to inflict Poison for 3 turns. The poison ticks for 50 damage. -100% crit rate.
-Silver Flash: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.5x damage. 55% chance to inflict Paralysis for 3 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 50% chance to not act. -100% crit rate.
-Dragon Action: Buffs the user. Reduces ATK and MAT damage by 100% for 5 turns. Has a priority level of 7. Buddy skills have a 100% chance to break this.
-Imperial Wrath: Dispels all ailments on the user.
-Dragon Fang: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.3x damage.

Dragon Fog also picked up a chance to inflict blind as well.

A waterway control device somehow being used for an entropy reverser to reseal Haze. :psyduck: That is one hell of a leap. Needed a way to repeat that plot point from 1 without the right set up I guess. Budget really fell apart here.

And no, this is not a 7th Dragon 1 callback. The plan to seal Haze in that game was... more sensible, to say the least.

BisbyWorl posted:

Resealing it is pointless... All dragons... must die.

This on the other hand was sort of consistent with 7th Dragon 1. Though in that game, she went ballistic and thought your plan to kill Nyala was stupid when she found out that you sealed Haze rather than killing him, instead of giving this subdued reaction in VFD.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's OK guys. Our new Unit 13 can already retcon True Dragons from other games, we're powerful enough to retcon Takehaya's death!

...I swear to god if I'm predocting the game again-

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's OK guys. Our new Unit 13 can already retcon True Dragons from other games, we're powerful enough to retcon Takehaya's death!

...I swear to god if I'm predocting the game again-

...Oh gently caress, wasn't Nyala inadvertently the reason Takehaya died? So seeing as we kind of retconned the reason for 2020's events ... :psyduck:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
you know i've been really embroiled in 7th dragon lore for like the past two years for obvious reasons and sometimes this game makes me morb the gently caress out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

All of the red Dragonsbane in Kazan has turned blue.

And like Sailas said, walking in it now damages us, just like the good old days of 7D1.

"Ahh, after 100 years, I'm free! Time to conquer Eden!"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Mage: Don't ask where Healer went

The Mage in 7D1 was all damage, all the time, with only a bare minimum of supportive skills.

In VFD, Mage is just... 2020 Psychic. Like almost entirely. They've been given a heavy 7D1 coat of paint, sure, plus the usual spate of VFD buffs, but beyond that they're the same damage-slinging, heal-tossing jack of all trades from the 2020s.

Stats

Tied with Fortuner for highest MAT in the game, the Mage trades out their blistering SPD for better defensive stats, letting them actually take a hit without dying.

Tier 1 Skills

Flame

Hits one enemy with ranged MAT-based fire damage with a chance to inflict Burn.

Freeze

Hits one enemy with ranged MAT-based ice damage with a chance to inflict Freeze.

Shock

Hits one enemy with ranged MAT-based lightning damage with a chance to inflict Paralysis.

Right off the bat there are already some big changes. The single target spells hit a middle ground between the early game and late game 2020 spells where they aren't as weak as 2020 Flame/Freeze/Shock, but aren't as strong as Ifritbane/Icicle Eden/Bolt Avenge. They also picked up the ability to actually inflict ailments. They may have lost their optional group-targeting...

Volcano

Hits all enemies with ranged MAT-based fire damage with a chance to inflict Burn. Volcano's Burn applies a 0.7x multipler to enemy ATK, MAT, DEF, and MDF.

Blizzard

Hits all enemies with ranged MAT-based ice damage with a chance to inflict Freeze.

Volt Storm

Hits all enemies with ranged MAT-based lightning damage with a chance to inflict Paralysis.

...but that's because the AOE spells got split off to their own spells, like 7D1. The power on these actually matches the late game 2020 spells, and are significantly cheaper to boot!

Also take a look at Volcano having an even stronger Burn effect. The devs just... felt like giving Mage a super Burn, I guess. Nothing else in the game gets this type of Burn. Between Volcano, lostpower.exe, and a standard stat debuff, you can ruin the day of pretty much anything.

Flame Veil

Gives an ally a shield that automatically counters with melee MAT-based fire damage and a chance to inflict Burn when targeted for a melee attack. Only one Veil can be active at a time. If the target or the Mage dies, the effect ends.

Changes from 2020-II: Infliction rate reduced from 85% to 75%. Burn damage increased from 91 to 181.

Freeze Veil

Gives an ally a shield that automatically counters with melee MAT-based ice damage and a chance to inflict Freeze when targeted for a melee attack. Only one Veil can be active at a time. If the target or the Mage dies, the effect ends.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage reduced from 2.5x to 2.35x. Infliction rate reduced from 85% to 75%. Freeze damage increased from 91 to 181.

Shock Veil

Gives an ally a shield that automatically counters with melee MAT-based lightning damage and a chance to inflict Paralysis when targeted for a melee attack. Only one Veil can be active at a time. If the target or the Mage dies, the effect ends.

The Veils are as strong as ever, giving you free damage and ailment infliction without eating your action economy, plus having a new (2020-wise) Veil for Paralysis infliction!

A thing to keep in mind, however, is that 'when targeted.' If you're running a Rune Knight with your Mage, then putting a Veil on the RK and having them use Substitute to eat a hit won't set off any counters, as they're not the ones being targeted. You'll have to put the Veil on everyone else for that. Provoke works like normal, however.

Shieldcraft

Places a shield on the user that absorbs all incoming damage. Excess damage from a single hit will not bleed over to the user, but multiple hits in a single attack can get through. Damage dealt to the shield will not cause recoil damage on a Cursed enemy.

Changes from 2020-II: Shield inherits Mage's DEF and MDF. Shield no longer blocks added status effects on attacks. Shield no longer triggers Curse.

In 7D1, Shieldcraft gave barely any LF, and had the row system to reduce the odds of your Mage being in danger to begin with, ultimately making it a subpar defensive option.

In 2020, Decoy Mirror gave a whopping 300 LF, but with no defensive stats it'll end up breaking from the slightest hit by end game.

VFD's Shieldcraft takes the best of both worlds from Shieldcraft and Decoy Mirror, giving Mages at least an extra 300 LF, thanks to excess damage being absorbed. In a game where life caps at 500, that's a massive increase! Sure it can no longer block status riders or deal Curse damage, but items are good enough to deal with ailments anyways and Curse is a joke outside of Agent/Fortuner combos.

Cure

Restores LIFE for one target. Can be group-targeted starting from level 4. Can be used when not in battle.

Changes from 2020-II: MN cost reduced from 6 to 3. Speed multiplier increased from 1.3x to 2x.

It may not have priority, but Cure is still good to have on hand. A 250 heal backed by a Mage's titanic MAT will keep the party alive, and the 2x SPD multiplier makes it easier for them to outspeed anything that doesn't already have priority. The lack of priority can even be a benefit, if you want to revive and heal someone on the same turn but you're worried about an item heal going off before the revive.

Recover

Cures ailments. Can be used when not in battle.

Recover is unchanged from 2020. A free full party priority ailment clear is always useful.

Resurrect

Revives one party member. Can be used when not in battle.

Changes from 2020-II: MN cost increased from 3 to 4. Speed multiplier increased from 1x to 2x.

Resurrect, however, falls into the same issue as God Hand's CPR. Not having priority just makes it a pain to revive someone and heal them back up on the same turn. Just use an item instead.

MANA Restore

If the user does not have full MN, there is a chance for them to recover MN at the end of the turn. Cannot activate at the same time as MANA Burn.

Unlike Fortuners, Mages have no easy access to MN restoration, so they have to take what they can get.

Dead Man's React

For a number of turns, the user has a 100% chance to gain an extra turn whenever an ally dies.

Changes from 2020-II: Now activates if an ally dies from ailment damage.

Indirectly nerfed in VFD, just because of how safe items are to use and how rarely someone will die because of it.

You can use it to supercharge any suicidal Rune Knight strats, however!

Tier 2 Skills

Tier 3 Skills

No, you aren't reading that wrong, Mages (and Banishers) have no Tier 2 skills. If you were to kill Nyala with Tier 1 skills, the Eden classes would just have twice the skills of everyone else.

Mana Bullet

Hits one enemy with ranged MAT-based damage.

Mage's first Tier 3 skill is... kinda bad, really.

Like sure, it hits a fair bit harder than the other ST spells, but that comes at the cost of costing significantly more and not having an ailment or the ability to hit weaknesses. The damage from Burn/Freeze will probably end up surpassing the raw damage on this, plus cut enemy stats in the process.

Heaven's Press

Hits one enemy with ranged MAT-based damage and a chance to inflict Bleed.

And this is just terrible! It costs barely anything, yes, but it only slightly outdamages the AOE spells, the infliction rate on it is garbage, and the Bleed damage is still outmatched by Burn/Freeze!

Mage's Consent

Increases the user's MAT on their next attack.

Changes from 2020-II: MN cost increased from 16 MN to 25 MN.

On one hand: Mage don't have skills that hit as hard as a Samurai, nor can they stack buffs like a Samurai.

On the other: 2.5x multiplier with VFD's buff system.

I just wish they gave Mage's Consent the same ailment booster as Solid Stance, just to increase the odds of landing Volcano's Burn.

MANA Burn

User has a chance to deal ranged MAT-based non-elemental damage at the end of the turn. Cannot activate at the same time as MANA Recover. Is not affected by Mage's Consent, nor will it use up Mage's Consent.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 3x to 4.5x.

Free damage! But conflicting with MANA Recover means you'll have to decide if you want free damage or free recovery more.

EX Skill

End of the World

Hits all enemies with ranged MAT-based non-elemental damage with a chance to inflict Bleed and Paralysis.

10.5x damage which can be boosted to 26.25x with Mage's Consent, with a near guaranteed chance to slap everything on the field with an extra 900 damage and paralysis. 'End of the World,' indeed.

Team Skills

Charge time: 1 turn.

Turns out I was wrong, the Eden recruits also get a 1 turn charge class. Could have sworn they were a 2 turn...

Buddy

Deals 2.1x melee ATK-based damage to the target with a 100% chance applying a 0.8x MAT multiplier for 2 turns.

Running off ATK means this will deal jack for damage, but being able to cut something's MAT by 20% takes a good bite out of the target's damage if you know they use it.

Support

Increases team's MAT by 1.2x for 1 turn.

This, meanwhile, is spicy. Make your front row something MAT-focused like, say, Duelist/Fortuner/Rune Knight and laugh as they get to break things in half even harder.

However, it runs into a lategame VFD problem where burning a bar on half your backrow can heavily delay Unison attacks depending on your team compositions, so never using this and instead waiting for everyone to hit 2 bars is a far more effective use of meter.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 6, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mages are pretty simple classes. Functions very much like the Psychic, only with the aesthetics of the 7th Dragon 1 Mage.

Pretty much the other main reason Duelist isn't liked, as Mage is essentially a far more simple version of it to use. Though Mage's damage is lower on average compared to the Duelist, but it doesn't have to deal with bad RNG just to use attacks.

The single target elementals can be better damage when striking a weakness, but I will say that the Mage sucks at building up EX. The non-elemental versions have a use in that they build up the meter way faster if you need it. Not to mention they're more reliable if you don't need the ailments. The AOE version will fill up to 20% EX at a time on 4 enemies (that's the maximum number of enemies that can be in a battle in VFD)

I have no idea why they gave Volcano a super burn, but okay VFD. Par for the course I suppose.

Veils can be added onto a God Hand for some counter fun, like with Psychic and Destroyer back in the 2020s. Pair them up with Agent and Bush Trap for some more counter related fun. The minor aggro skill nerf in 2020-II was reverted almost entirely in VFD, so go nuts.

Oh boy. The shield skills were handy in the previous games, but here it turns the wizard into an ubertank because it's just 300 more LIFE sure. Fun fact, aggro related calculations do not take the shield into account. So in the right situations, the Mage can end up being the party's resident tank since their real HP won't be going down as easily.

Dead Man's React seems like an odd react skill, to the point where quite a few people complained about it acting in a weird situation, but as I've said before with the other games, it's a safety net skill, not an offensive skill. It's there to bail out a bad situation. Of course since VFD awards exp and sp no matter what, you could use that extra turn to finish off the battle. Also fun fact, it works if a Fortuner uses Sacrifice.

lol 2.5x more MAT.

And here we probably have the most monkey brained EX skill in the entire game. The damage is low (just so Mage's Consent doesn't cause the game to shatter when used with it) but a 300% chance to inflict a Paralysis that denies the victim's action 85% of the time, what the gently caress?! Oh and it inflicts a mega bleed as insult to injury.

Only 3 normal dragons in the entire game are immune to paralysis. In most other cases it is outright guaranteed to land, or close to guaranteed. Nearly every single boss is guaranteed to be tagged by the paralysis, and the ones that aren't are at almost a 100% infliction rate anyways.

The crazy part is as ridiculous as this class is, this somehow pales in comparison to Banisher.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIII - Featuring: Emel getting mad

The blue Dragonsbane isn't localized to Kazan, the entire world map of Eden has been covered in the stuff.

We've also been locked out of everywhere but Nodens.

Music: The Daily Grind

Incredible! It's so different from Eden or those ruins... Are you really sure this is the past...? It's almost like Tokyo is... more in the future...

Sorta a missed opportunity when the story has a literal time machine and doesn't even attempt to explain how the world went from sci-fi to high fantasy between 2020 and 7D1.

*moan* Oh, how I'd love to analyze you! Can I... touch you a little bit~? *pant* *pant*

Oh god Sailas is a creep. :stare:

Yuck!

*nods*

Julietta waiting for you guys down at the lab. Hurry up and take that freak over there!

Let us go. I can't wait to grasp Tokyo's powerful science in my hands... Teeheehee~!

Nagamimi's line has changed, but Allie says the same thing as before.

And... welcome to my two guests from Eden. I'm the one in charge of this R&D Floor, Julietta. So... you're the guy they call the brains of Eden?

W-Wowwww... What is this machine~? What's that device made of~...? *pant* *pant* *pant* Tee... Teeheehee~... Research... R—R-Research...

Sailas spends the entire scene looking at stuff.

Please forgive us, Mr. Julietta. He loses all clarity when he is around research materials.

*giggle* Don't worry about it. Scientists are more or less all like that, no matter where... or when they're from. So, we'll be using this facility to analyze the blue Dragonsbane that's appeared in Eden... And to reconstruct the device you brought here from the ruins, correct?

*nods*

I've prepared some basic data for both tasks. Although, we don't really know what'll happen with that device until we open up the lid.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated...

*giggle* It's not a problem! Oh yeah, Unit 13. I'll be taking that Mayhem Fossil specimen.

Good work, my little cuties!

Of course~! Teeheeheeheehee~!

By the way, those ISDF bitches are heading back from their mission. And Allie's waiting for your report up in the War Room. Get to it!

Wowww~! Tokyo's tech scene is incredible~...! Anything is possible here~! Teeheehee~!

Music: UE77 In Ariake

And a warm welcome to you, Brijilt! My name is Allie! It's nice to meet you★

Y-Yes. L-Likewise...

Hmmm? What are you so nervous for?

No, it is simply that... Even one who has no mind for science such as myself can see how advanced this civilization is. It seems the world I am from... is more akin to the past compared to this place...

True★ The science and technology in Tokyo is way more advanced than that in Eden! But Eden has plenty of things that Tokyo doesn't. Don't you think?

I am unsure... I think I am merely suffering from shock...

*chuckle* I suppose anywhere that the True Dragons invade must be appealing from a certain perspective. Eden, Tokyo, Atlantis... All different, yet all great★ As a representative of one of those time periods, you should have some more confidence★

Y-Yes, I suppose you are correct. I shall keep that in mind...

Oh, looks like the other guys finally made it.

You've gotta be kidding me... How can that even be possible!?

An extremely good question!

I could not believe it at first, either. However, there can be no doubt. That place... is Ladyin.

Wait, Ulania! What were you doing out where there's monsters and dragons and stuff!?

Unit 13 and our friends from Eden were present to protect me. I was in no danger.

Sheesh...! Just try not to be so reckless when I'm not around! Remember, you're the queen of Atlantis.

But Eigur, as queen, I will do what I must in order to protect my people.

*sigh* I get it, I get it. Just go back and rest in your room for now, OK?

... Well then, until the next time we meet...

Meanwhile, we've explored half a dungeon and killed one High Dragon.

The ISDF work fast.

However, the 7th True Dragon has still yet to show itself. Either it's waiting for a prime opportunity, or it's already hiding somewhere in the city.

No matter what it's doing, we can't beat it if we can't find it. All we can do right now is hunt down every dragon we find.

Hunting dragons, hm? Our objectives are truly one and the same.

That's right★

*shakes head*

No, it's the complete opposite! He's picked up on every detail of our technology at an insane rate! He finished the data transfer from the specimen you gave us almost instantaneously! Completing the device to reseal Haze probably won't take much longer, either.

As expected from Sailas.

Indeed. Despite his appearance and general mannerisms, he is truly the brains of Eden. He is extraordinarily dependable when it comes to research.

~

So he's not just some weirdo...

He is the brains of Eden, after all. It is a shame that his personality is the way it is, though... If only he were more upright...

~~

Well... I'm not gonna lose to that youngster. I'll show him what the top scientific mind in Tokyo is capable of!

Oooh, Julietta's all excited★

Just you wait! I'll figure out the secrets of that blue Dragonsbane by tomorrow morning!

OK OK★ Let's call it a day! You can rest here, Brijilt. You should rest up as well, Unit 13! We have another long day ahead of us tomorrow!

Thank you for everything, Ms. Allie. I am in your debt.

We should head back to ISDF HQ as well, Yuma.

~

True Dragons tend to gravitate to highly advanced civilizations and societies. *chuckle* Why do you think that's the case? It's important that we consider these types of questions★

That is most likely because of a strong-willed individual in each time period... I must learn and grow from this. How inspiring...

Despite being there in the cutscene, Eigur is gone from his usual spot and Jil is entirely missing.

So off to bed we go.

Music: None

Ah, my apologies! I failed to realize that you were already asleep...

Music: Re:Vanishment (code:VFD Ver)

Is something wrong?

Y-Yes... I... was unable to fall asleep...

~

Well, I'm already awake.

Y-Yes, that is true. I suppose I must take responsibility for my actions. In that case, I shall remain here. I was having trouble sleeping...

~~

I... cannot help but feel restless... As a warrior, I have fought in many far away lands, so I am used to sleeping away from home, but... Tokyo... is far too different... Opal... Do you feel any anxiety while you are in Eden?

The unknown excites me.

Ha... Hahaha! You truly are an abnormal person. Most people would wither when thrown into a foreign land. But you and Sailas... have a special talent. You are able to enjoy change, and even become excited by it... I am honestly envious of that.

~

It was scary at first.

Even a warrior of your caliber was afraid?

*nods*

I see... Hearing that has helped me relax, Opal.

~~

We all drink, eat, talk, live... And... we all fight dragons. Tokyo, and even the legendary kingdom of Atlantis... It seems nowhere is safe from the invasion of these foul dragons. Opal.. What exactly is a dragon?

Things that must be hunted.

:black101:

Hahaha... Yes, that is exactly right. No matter their objective, any being that threatens human life is regarded as our enemy. That will never change.

~

I don't know.

I see... Even you are unsure... Such doubt was not present within me before I came here... I simply believed anything that threatened human life was my enemy, but...

~~

I will leave the complicated issues to Sailas and Mr. Julietta for the time being.

*nods*

I feel much better now. I expect I will be able to sleep. Thank you, Opal. My apologies again for waking you. Will you be OK?

*nods*

Good night, Opal.

We then cut to Eden, to see how Emel and Nagiri are doing.

Music: Ignith of the Final Attack (code:VFD Ver)

Ngh... Arghhh! Arrgghhhh...! I... I hate them! I hate all dragons...!

L-Lady Emel...! Please, calm down!

I will... kill all dragons...! I must...! I must... kill... them...! Grahhhhhh!

Oh, that's bad.

That's even worse.

True Dragon... Haze...! I shall destroy you... right now... with my bare hands!

Next time: The plot gets even more insane.

Nuclear Kitten
Sep 30, 2021
Did she just turn into a dragon? Like, that's what that scene is implying, right?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Oh jeez, is she turning into a dragon through sheer hatred of dragons?

...Oh god, don't tell me she's turning INTO Haze. :psyduck:

This game is going to invoke plenty more psyducks before it ends, I can already tell.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Oh jeez, is she turning into a dragon through sheer hatred of dragons?

...Oh god, don't tell me she's turning INTO Haze. :psyduck:

"No! I must kill... the dragons"

"No Emel, you are the dragons"

And then Emel was Haze

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIV - Featuring: Double Dragon

Shoutout to Yuno, who's been laying in bed with her eyes open.

A cutscene starts just outside of the War Room.

You should be in bed.

*giggle* I'm fine now... At least, that's what I'm telling myself... Anyways,

~

Why are you here?

*cough* *cough* Well...

~~

I heard about Eden from Yuma. I can't just stay in bed while you're out there trying your hardest, Opal... Let me join the meeting...! I promise I won't get in the way. Please...!

*nods*

*shakes head*

Sorry... I don't want to be in bed, while everyone else works. Plus, the doctor said it was OK... Please, Nagamimi!

Tch... Whatever. We don't have a lot of time, so I'm just gonna start.

Nani!?

Another one...!? But we are still unsure as to how we will even defeat Haze...!

That's not the real problem here, Jil...

The location where we detected the True Dragon signal is...

What!? Nagiri and Commander Emel are in danger! We must go help, immediately!

No, you don't understand, Jil... The only lifeforms we detect in the guild hall are the two of them, meaning...

Sailas... What are you saying...?

We realized a few things upon researching the blue Dragonsbane. It's unlike any Dragonsbane we've seen before, meaning it's not from Haze, but... a new True Dragon.

Nani the gently caress???

Like, absolutely nothing, in all three previous games, implied that this could happen to Emel, this just comes out of left field!

Th-That is absurd! A human turning into a dragon is... impossible!

But... there are several accounts from the past of humans turning into dragons.

Okay, 1) Both of those cases involved the use of the Dragon Chronicle and 2) neither Mizuchi or Takehaya became full on True Dragons.

Aytel decides to blow off work to mope about her boyfriend and Emel goes from someone who orders people around to a final boss-tier threat.

That is correct. ISDF HQ has recorded data of a few similar incidents. How did you know...?

I researched. I won't let myself lose to the dragons... or this sickness.

Sailas how do you know Emel's molecular structure?

And what the gently caress does that even mean?

It would not be a large stretch of the imagination to think she could... transform.

We have to stop her, ASAP.

Yes. I'd estimate that Emel is still only in a half-awakened state. I don't know how much she'd be willing to listen to what we have to say... But no matter what, we can't just leave her be!

~

But why into a dragon?

I'm not sure... It's not like Emel actually transformed yet... She is in a half-awakened state... As long as she has some humanity, we can predict her movements.

~~

The True Dragon signal we got from Emel was heading toward the ruins, presumably to go after Haze.

By herself...!? But why...?

Jil, sitting here and thinking about it doesn't help us much. We have to go back to Eden. There might even be some clues left behind in the guild hall.

Yes... I am worried for Nagiri’s safety, as well! Let us depart, Unit 13!

*nods*

The universe is pretty drat vast, though. Most anything is possible.

~

I'm sure you can win, Unit 13★

Hm? Did I say something strange?

Is there something you aren't telling us, Allie?

Everything in Kazan is still blue.

Music: Destructive Curse

Please tell us, Nagiri... What exactly happened here?

L-Lady Emel... She suddenly went mad and... She left for the ruins... so she could kill Haze... by herself.

Abnormality...? What do you mean? Is there something wrong with her?

I'll explain the details later, Nagiri. Unit 13, I—

She's heading to the top of the ruins... That must mean her aim is the 6th True Dragon Haze!

Unit 13, please hurry over to the ruins and stop Emel. I can't imagine the disaster that would occur if two True Dragons fought... It would be terrible.

All we have to do is stop Emel?

...Well, not quite.

~

Don't tell me...

Yes, that's exactly it.

For context: we started hunting Nyala on Chapter 1, and actually killed him on Chapter 3.

Now we have two True Dragons in the same chapter.

Ms. Allie!? I understand the need to hunt Haze, but why Commander Emel as well!?

Though she's only half-awakened, once someone has stepped into the realm of the True Dragons... There is no turning back. Emel is no longer a mere Hypnos...

I guess the numbering jumping from 6 to 4 implies that Emel was 'always' a dragon from the moment she escaped Hypnos?

Our objective is to gather specimens from the True Dragons, so if she's a True Dragon... Though maybe this once we can...

No, Julietta. This is a prime chance for us to kill two True Dragons at the same time★

Ms. Allie...! Such a harsh remark is simply too much...!

*chuckle* Well, we can't quite afford to lose sight of our objectives, now can we?

Yeah it is kiiiiinda a dick move to cheerfully talk about killing your former commander.

Stop it, Jil. We don't have time to argue with them.

B-But Sailas...!

Ms. Allie, the strength of this blue Dragonsbane miasma exceeds our expectations... It is even strong enough to damage Unit 13 on contact. Would it be possible to evacuate Nagiri and the people of Eden to this facility of yours...?

OK OK★ That's fine by me.

I'm glad... In that case, please see to Nagiri, Jil.

Please head into the ruins, Unit 13. I'll be going back to Tokyo to finish that device. Let's try and focus on defeating Haze first, OK~? The other issue can come after. Two True Dragons at once... At this rate, Eden will once again be plunged into tragedy...

If you have enough Dz, go see Chika and get it over with.

I head back to Nodens to see how much that ward will cost.

Oh hey, I can already afford that!

...Why does every other evac ward have more beds than Atlantis?

Also some new side quests have opened up.

Sorry Emel, we'll get to your self-destructive vendetta in a bit.

Who am I...? Where is romance...? What is love...? Every day, my human emotions are destroyed by the overbearing presence of work... However, there is one person who is able to slack off— I mean, retain their emotions in such trying times... It seems this person wishes to make a confession of love... Please ask the ISDF soldier Sakurai for more details. He is down in the Entrance Lobby...

S-Something terrible has happened! Th-There's been a g-g-ghost sighting on company property! P-Please ascertain the details from Hope in the Eden Evac Ward. You have to do something about this!

For whatever reason, the Eden ward is placed in between the other two wards.

This will frequently bite me in the rear end as I keep accidentally going to the Tokyo ward under the logic that later wards = newer wards.

You obtained Paralyze Cut x1.

Hope: Well, last night I was talking to a girl by the Tokyo Evac Ward. Honestly, I was hitting on her... My eyes were completely set on that beautiful visage, but then she suddenly disappeared! I know! I was surprised, too! My knees just about gave out as I was running home. There were some other people around at the time, so maybe they saw something. Could you go ask? I'm so afraid... I can't flirt with anyone else till I know the truth. It's up to you, Unit 13!

This guy has been here for five minutes after fleeing from ultra deadly Dragonsbane and he's already making moves. That's some impressive level of game.

~

Chiako: Hello, my name is Chiako, I evacuated here from Eden with my husband.

The Atlantis ward has like 6 beds.

The Tokyo ward had a bunch of futons scattered about.

Why does Eden get this many beds?

Since we haven't actually rescued anyone from Eden yet, those are the only people in the ward so far.

If you'll recall, there was someone talking about ghosts down in the Tokyo ward.

Yoshiko: She had blue hair... She was really cute, but her body was completely see—through. I'm totally into the occult, so I tried to take a photo and then follow her, but... She disappeared in front of the Infirmary! It's like the wall just absorbed her!

And going to the Infirmary means we have to talk to Mio.

Although Nagiri's also been moved to a bed.

Lady Emel...

I hope none of you were fans of Nagiri, because she's going to be stuck in this bed for... a while.

Also there's a new kid next to her.

Did anything weird happen?

Hmm... This might have nothing to do with it... But there was a woman in my dream.

~

There've been reports of a ghost.

S-Stop that...! Don't say such scary stuff! Oh, but a couple of nights ago, a woman appeared in my dream...

~~

A pretty woman with blue hair... She was trying to say something, but the howling wind kept me from hearing what she was saying... I did hear something clearly, though: dragon hunter... Do you think you should meet her, Opal?

*nods*

OK... Well, if I see her in my dreams again, I'll let her know! I'll say, “I can't hear your voice, so please go over to Opal's dream!”

That means we have to go to bed.

But first: food.

You obtained Bird Meat Bento x1.

The Bird Meat Bento gives 1.1x ATK/DEF to one person for 5 turns.

You obtained Dragon Meat x1.

While the Dragon Meat gives 1.2x for 2 turns.

Oh this is already extremely confusing.

*nods*

Aytel has no portrait here for whatever reason.

...My name is Aytel. I have been with you all along. I have seen your battles... and your growth. In my current form, I do not have the strength to help you... So, I was planning to simply watch... That is, until I felt my sister's presence emanating from you.

Your sister...?

One of the last two Hypnos remaining in this universe... The one who bestowed the dragon hunting skills upon the people of Atlantis and Tokyo...

I'm sorry, 'in the far future?' Is Aytel suddenly clairvoyant?

~

I met Emel...

In the far future... she burns with a hatred reserved for dragons...

~~

My sister and I were opposites. She was always angry at something, while I preferred peace. But I know for a fact... that my sister holds a great deal of love within her heart. My sister... has lived a long time in suffering... It is enough...

Next time: The Unit 13 Messenger System.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Surprise! A recurring character in the series was a dragon all this time.

Incidentally, congratulations Unit 13. You have somehow managed to create a timeline where Santa Claus is now a dragon.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Araxxor posted:

Surprise! A recurring character in the series was a dragon all this time.

Incidentally, congratulations Unit 13. You have somehow managed to create a timeline where Santa Claus is now a dragon.

Santa, nooo! :gonk:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Santa, nooo! :gonk:

Dragons killing humans, very naughty! Humans not killing dragons, exactly as naughty!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Dragons killing humans, very naughty! Humans not killing dragons, exactly as naughty!

"What about humans who, you know, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more, with dr--"

*Is promptly hit square in the face with a sack of coal*

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLV - Featuring: Romance Troubles

For whatever reason, talking to Aytel causes that rest to not heal the party or restore Field Skills.

So I have to sleep for two days straight.

Now I can go turn in the qu-

*ahem* Now I can go turn in the quest.

Hope: Hmmm... I'm a bit slow so I don't really get it, but basically... she wasn't a ghost, right? That means I got nothing to fear! Alright, I'm going back to hit on— I mean, communicate with her! Oh, yeah! I almost forgot! This is your reward.

You obtained 3,000 Az!

You obtained Ozon-Aid x3.

You obtained SP Up 500 x3.

Up next is this ISDF soldier in the lobby.

Sakurai: What I'd like is for you to hand this bouquet of roses to... someone. When I say someone, I mean... him. Er, to put it plainly, I mean Director Julietta! Oh, and take this, too. It's... a love letter. The heart sticker is the key! And the poem I wrote is pretty key, too. Ah, I'm indebted to you!

You obtained Roses and Love Letter.

~

Sakurai: Thank you for taking on this top secret mission! I'm truly in your debt!

What's the matter? Did you need something?

My, my, my... I didn't realize you were so sweet on me. You can have me, but only for tonight. Ah, these aren't from you? What a shame. I can't say I'm not disappointed... I see~... A member of ISDF~...

What will your answer be?

Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't yearning for a little bit of action~...

~

He seemed like a good person.

*giggle* You're quite a good-natured little lamb...

~~

But I'm sorry. You'll have to refuse him for me. It's not because he's from ISDF. It's just that my research is too important right now. He flatters me with those emotions... but I simply cannot return them. I'm sorry.

Now we head back to Sakurai.

Opal is so excited to crush the hopes of this poor man!

There are other fish in the sea.

Sakurai: No... That is simply not true!

~

What about a romance with... me?

Sakurai: What!? Don't you think that's a bit cliche!? A-Anyways, I...

~~

Sakurai: Director Julietta, looks very much like my former boyfriend who... died of Dragon Sickness. So ever since I saw him the other day... I simply couldn't get him off of my mind. I guess the more I think about it, the more natural it seems that my love letter was rejected. But hrm... I just can't do it! I won't give him up! Please, bring him this bouquet of roses again.

Got it.

Sakurai: Thank you so much!

~

Are you sure these aren't for me?

Sakurai: No, no, no, no! This isn't that kind of quest!

~~

You obtained Rose Bouquet.

~

Sakurai: I... I am in your debt!

Back to Julietta.

In that case, that is all the more reason to turn him down. I am not, and will never be, that boyfriend. Please, return these...

Back again to Sakurai.

Sakurai: I shouldn't be dragging my past around with me... H-He's...!

Sakurai: I... I-I... I...

*giggle* Do I truly look that similar to your boyfriend?

Sakurai: Y-Yes, Sir! Exactly the same! I am in your debt!

I'm sorry I can't reciprocate your feelings... But as humans fighting together for the sake of Earth, we must be strong. Together.

Sakurai: *sniffle* Y-Yes...!

Well then, I must get back to my lab. Goodbye.

Sakurai: Do you think you could give my thanks to him? This is my last request!

Back to Julietta.

He says thank you.

I see... I'm glad he was able to sort his emotions out.

~

You're very kind, Julietta.

That's not true. It was just...

~~

Going to a battlefield in such a state would be the end of him. I don't want him to waste his life. I have a reply. Tell him, "You're welcome.”

Then one final trip to Sakurai.

Around a quarter of this update is just going back and forth between these two, for reference.

Sakurai: I realized after seeing him in person, Director Julietta is quite different from my boyfriend... His voice, the way he speaks, the way he acts, even his scent... You helped me finally grasp how foolish I was being! I cannot thank you enough for staying beside an idiot like me! Here, this is my thanks to you!

You obtained 2,000 Az!

You obtained Blind Cut x1.

Sakurai: Mmm! It feels like I just woke up from a dream! Now that I've calmed down, it's time to get back to work!

Now we can finally go chase down Emel.

All the blue Dragonsbane in the place means that we have to be careful of getting slowly worn down by chip damage.

...is what I would say if we didn't have two full teams that can sub in at any time, making field damage entirely toothless as a gimmick.

Oh look, it's Haze!

The Dragonslayer is... sticking out of his face.

He's doing surprisingly well for someone with a bisected brain, not gonna lie.

For what purpose have you come here by yourself?

What a foolish question... I am here to put an end to you, and all dragons... for destroying my planet!

Heh... Hehe... Hyahahahaha! It seems this foolish creature has finally lost its mind!

Hyahahaha! That will not be possible. You are but a failed dragon, after all!

Have you not realized? After we destroyed your home, you roamed the universe... And eventually came to this planet, and in doing so involved yourself with humanity. All you have done is copy the actions of us True Dragons!

Not... really? All the True Dragons just leap to trying to devour entire worlds, the Hypnos Sisters have done nothing but aid humanity ever since they came here.

I... I am a Hypnos... I will have my revenge!

Aytel finally decided to stop playing hooky and try to salvage the situation.

Ay...tel...?

No, my sister... You must not lose your sense of self...

Hm... Another fragment...

My sister... Your hatred... flows into me... I cannot take it much longer...

Quiet, Aytel! I'm going to kill them all! I have to!

Hyahahaha! I shall play with you for a while, failure. Perhaps you can earn a promotion? Hyahahahahahahahahaha!

The rumbling fades.

There are two major dragon signals at the top of this tower... Haze and Emel are at war.

We don't know what could happen if we let two True Dragons fight each other... Hurry, Unit 13!

We just have to go around Mayhem's arena first.

The Hypnos Crystal acts as the ultimate revival item, bringing someone back with 150 LF.

How fitting for them to start showing up now.

I wait for a flying dragon to pass by.

Two stationary, rotating dragons are up ahead.

You can also see that the red glow at the top of the screen has also changed to blue.

Drain Sword has the same animation, but with a red blade.

And that's both of them.

In all honesty, blue Dragonsbane isn't really that big of a deal.

Everyone has enough LF right now that 5 damage a tick is easily managable, and you have to actually touch the Dragonsbane to take damage. Weaving around plants lets you get by unscathed.

Opal, if only you did one more point of damage...

But at least the floor is clear.

Next time: Hey look, a distraction!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 2, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

His official artwork from DS. Pretty faithful rendition in 3D all things considered. Thing's basically a walking armory.

As far as I can tell, there isn't really official artwork for the Dragonslayer, but this is what Haze gets transformed into after your battle with him. His seal is leaking a bit as you can tell, though not completely since it's still stuck in his brain.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLVI - Featuring: Emel thinking the ISDF are idiots

The next floor has our first Dragonsbane Wall of the dungeon.

Even the walls have turned blue.

...poo poo, if they stuck with Bloom I could have called it a Blue-m Wall.

There's a flying dragon just behind that pillar.

Having to waste a turn before a dragon shows up is so nice.

Wounded Huntsman: I was attacked by a monster, and now I can't move my arm...

This is the only actual person in the Ruins. Every other marker led to a cat.

Holy poo poo a new dragon!

With a telegraphed move to boot!

A... telegraphed defense buff???

I mean, sure, it cuts physical damage by 80%.

But get out with that weak poo poo.

Beyond that, it has a roll that inflicts Bleed and a rock cannon that inflicts Skill Seal.

For comparison, the second last floor in the original Ladyin was 72m deep before going to the base floor, meaning we've somehow gone higher than Ladyin's actual entrance back in 12000 BC.

Either there was a lot of Ladyin we didn't get a chance to see last time, or the drat thing has grown between then and now.

For whatever reason, the dragon guarding this wall is on the near side.

Oh, because it leads directly to the exit.

A cutscene starts up by the save and exit points.

Hm? Are you finished already?

Please, my sister... Please... stop...

Okay, when the gently caress did Haze have time to go eat the soulcannon from 7D1?

Also, Emel shot Nyala with it, not Haze, but that's more from a poor translation. The original JP line has Haze use 'us' as in the dragons as a whole.

Still no loving clue how 7D1 plays out without Nyala running the invasion.

Why...? Why do you have that!?

The entropy of weapons is especially delicious... So I ate it. To think one thousand cattle perished to make this cannon... Hah... Hyahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! You make me laugh! No matter how many lives you sacrifice, you will never be able to defeat me! You are nothing but mere scraps left over after our feast! Heh... Hyahahahahahaha!

Big words from the woman who tried to sacrifice all mankind in the soulcannon after it didn't do enough damage.

The hatred of my sister... is flowing into me... No... My sister... Stop... Any more...

You know, I don't think Aytel has a single line in this game that doesn't end like this...

Ki...ll... Kill, kill, kill...

Congratulations, Emel!

You hated dragons so hard it killed your sister.

Emel's signal is now completely gone... The only readings we're getting from the top of the tower are... two True Dragons...

Tch... Two of 'em at the same time... That'll be tough, even for you guys.

Music: Endless Attack Cycle

Teeheehee~! I hope you didn't forget about me~. Unit 13, here is your new weapon, as promised~!

When I activate the device, it'll reverse the heat exchange processes at a specific point. To put it simply, it'll drag Haze back into its prison. It's still incomplete, but if we're lucky... it should be able to hinder Haze's movement a bit.

I do not quite understand the effect... but it sounds as though it will be effective against Haze. You can trust anything that comes from Sailas. Please be sure to put it to good use.

Unit 13, Haze has yet to completely break free from its seal. You'll have a chance to win if you use that device and limit its movement. Once you weaken Haze enough, you should be able to seal it within the Dragonslayer once again.

Now, 2020-II explains that Dragonslayers are a bit of a one-off type of deal, which is why we have to reseal Haze instead of just stabbing him with the Atlantis Dragonslayer.

The problem is that this is never mentioned in VFD itself, so it comes off as Opal wanting the biggest Dragonslayer collection in the land.

... Well then, let us head over once we are prepared!

There are three dragons left on the floor, including a flyer directly under this bridge.

The final dragon is barely visible in the top right.

It was so far away, in fact, that it took several turns to break in.

Sorta funny how, despite Emel getting flagged as a True Dragon now, the map only lists one dragon left because we're obviously not fighting both right away.

Team 1 got to kill Nyala, so its only fair that Team 2 gets Haze.

I make sure to give everyone Death and Burn resists.

Oh dear.

Why...? What is happening... to my body...? Hrngh...

That specific portrait isn't in the artbook so you're getting normal Emel.lol never mind i just ripped it from the game god i love technology

Why the worry? You should take pride in this transformation. You have finally ascended to a new horizon...

I do like this little reversal from Haze here. He's gone from mocking Emel to actually being a bit respectful to a potential...

What would you call two True Dragons? Family? Colleagues? Besties?

Ah... Ahhhhhh!

So, you choose to deny it. Very well. You shall pay for ridiculing me if you do not wish to join me. You shall make a nice meal!

Nrgh... Hrahhhhhh!

What...!?

Commander Emel!

It seems... we were too late.

C-Commander...? What are you saying...?

Oh look!

Hrahhh!

A perfectly timed way to take Yuma out of the fight so Unit 13 has to deal with Haze on their own!

What is the meaning of this?

I... must kill... all dragons... Kill...!

It's no use... She has completely lost her sense of self! It seems she can no longer even distinguish between human and dragon...!

How many are there inside of you!?

Yuma! Do not listen to her!

You have lost your mind.

I'll kill you... I must kill... all dragons...

Imbecile! Do not lose your head, Yuma! poo poo... I need to follow Yuma! Unit 13, take care of Haze!

Mr. Entropy Reverser, activate~!

Hrghhh! What... is this... feeling...? My body feels... heavy...!?

It's working! Now, Unit 13~!

Next time: Inoue goes sicko mode.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 2, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also, I'll be dropping down to just one update a week from here on out. Cranking out 3 updates a week is starting to wear me out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Emel at the time of the actual moment of attack:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'd honestly prefer we were fighting Emel here. She's the villian we've got more attachment to.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLVII - Featuring: The Sixth True Dragon

Video: VS Haze
Music: True Dragon - 1st Encount

Haze comes in with 7.6K HP, 179 in both attack stats, 139 in both defenses, and 72 speed.

Turn 1 is spent setting up buffs, like usual.

Unlike Nyala, who swapped phases based on his HP, Haze instead has a very strict AI pattern.

Case in point, he'll always open the fight with Autocannon, which deals 5 random hits at 0.3x ATK.

Followed by Hyper Shell, a self-buff that cuts all damage done to him by 50% for 4 turns. Buddy skills have a 40% chance to break this.

The fact that he throws up such a huge defense buff before anyone can build enough meter for a Buddy skill implies that you should probably be blocking this turn.

Because on turn 2 he uses Sound Cannon. 1.5x ATK in damage, plus a 60% chance of a 20 point Burn and 40% of a 0.5x accuracy Blind.

As written, Sound Cannon is incredibly dangerous. If Aria took that head on and the burn landed, she'd be dead in one hit! However, Haze will always use Hyper Shell the turn prior, so some Burn accessories combined with the innate status resist on Guard makes it a joke of an attack.

And as for why it's called 'Sound' Cannon, that's a translation goof. It should be Thousand Cannon instead.

He'll then always follow up with a normal attack.

To make things worse for him, Forest Poetry pretty much undoes everything he did!

On turn 3, Haze will always use a normal attack first, then have a 75% chance of using another normal and a 25% chance of using Autocannon.

drat.

Bleed damage is untouched, at least.

poo poo.

A 40% break chance is annoying to hit, even with Aiden's double hit.

Turn 4 Haze breaks out Kill Slash, an attack that deals no damage but has a 45% chance of instant death. This is why I bought death resists.

He'll then follow with Autocannon.

For the first time, an enemy's buff actually fell off naturally before I could break it myself.

Now that's a lot better.

Haze is supposed to use another Autocannon on turn 6, followed by a new move called Genocide Valley.

But lol paralysis.

For reference, Genocide Valley is Autocannon's big brother, dealing 6 hits at 0.5x damage. Each hit is targetted at whoever has the most LF.

Hey, just look at the time!

So, fun fact about Windy Canopy:

When I say it follows any MAT elemental hit...

That includes the backrow.

God Hands, unfortunately, can't really do much from the back. Without a way to build G-Depth, the best move they have is Front Punch, so instead I picked up ATK Accupressure to give Valerie a boost.

Inoue alone did close to 2K damage right there. It would have been more if I remembered that Haze had a Lightning weakness.

And then I still have an actual turn right after.

You know what the funny thing about Haze is?

If Haze lasts long enough to go through his entire AI script, he'll just loop back to the start.

The problem is that his script lasts for 18 turns. Not even the worst built team imaginable should take that long.

Even with a Fortuner in the back, that's still two uses of Unison before he can get anywhere close.

Was party development and enemy development handled by two separate teams or something? Because a lot of enemies (like the dragon with a telegraphed defense buff from earlier) feel like they were built under the assumption that the player's power would be far lower than it ended up being.

And we get a full party heal for the road.

Grahhh!

But the really sad thing is...

Haze dies in the same chapter he gets introduced, yet he somehow got more screentime than Nyala, who had three chapters dedicated to killing him.

Gyahhhhhhhh!

And there we have it, the OG Dragonslayer.

We really did it~! Impressive work yet again, Unit 13~!

Unit 13... defeated not only Nyala, but now Haze as well...

Bro why are you turning your back on the girl who's been trying to kill you the entire fight.

Music: Destructive Curse

Yuma! Pay attention!

Oh no.

The dragon now has a Dragonslayer.

Then Emel exploded and everyone died, the end.

Next time: Grahf called, he told me to tone it down a little.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 2, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Thousand Cannon is referring to how many Lucier were sacrificed to make the cannon work in DS. The fan translation calls it the Soul Cannon, the VFD localization refers to it as the Lucier Cannon. So the Lucier Cannon is what the skill should have been called. At least it's not Sand Cannon.

Ratoslov posted:

I'd honestly prefer we were fighting Emel here. She's the villian we've got more attachment to.

It's actually a drat shame, because Haze is actually a really cool True Dragon in DS. But uh. VFD murks him so quickly most players outside of Japan barely remember he exists because he's functionally just a stepping stone for Emel. VFD gave him a cameo that frankly, really does not do him justice. Playing DS after VFD was frankly, kind of a culture shock to this franchise.

Haze is bizarrely very rigid in behavior.

quote:

Turn 1:
-Autocannon
-Hyper Shell
Turn 2:
-Sound Cannon
-Attack
Turn 3:
-Attack
--3/4 chance to attack
--1/4 chance to use Autocannon
Turn 4:
-Kill Slash
-Autocannon
Turn 5:
-Attack
--3/4 chance to attack
Turn 6:
-Autocannon
-Genocide Valley (Targets the party member with the highest LIFE)
Turn 7:
-Attack
--3/4 chance to attack
Turn 8:
-Autocannon
-Hyper Shell
Turn 9:
-Sound Cannon
-Attack
Turn 10:
-Attack
--2/3 chance to attack
--1/3 chance to use Autocannon
Turn 11:
-Kill Slash
Turn 12:
-Attack
--2/3 chance to attack
--1/3 chance to use Autocannon
Turn 13:
-Autocannon
-Autocannon
Turn 14:
-Autocannon
-Hyper Shell
Turn 15:
-Sound Cannon
-Attack
Turn 16:
-Autocannon
-Autocannon
Turn 17:
-Attack
Turn 18:
-Attack
--1/2 chance to attack
--1/2 chance to use Autocannon

That is the entirety of his AI (simplified). I have no idea why it's that long. Maybe a bad team in the 2020s could have reached the loop, but even the worst teams in VFD won't let the fight last that long. Like was said in the update, feels weird. Were the enemy designers not aware of the sheer power creep in this game?

He wasn't a pattern based boss in DS, and he had some mechanics (understandably) cut in this fight that would have been almost impossible to translate to VFD. One of the reasons being even if he had that mechanic translated somehow, it would have been impossible to see anyways at this point in the story.

quote:

6th True Dragon Haze (LV. 48/44)
-Kill Slash: Targets one party member. 45% chance to inflict Death.
-Genocide Valley: Non-elemental Melee attack to random party members. ATK-based. 0.5x damage. Hits 6 times.
-Sound Cannon: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.5x damage. 60% chance to inflict Burn for 3 turns. The Burn ticks for 20 damage. 40% chance to inflict Blind for 3 turns. Blinded targets have their accuracy multiplied by 0.5x. -100% crit rate.
-Hyper Shell: Buffs the user. Reduces ATK and MAT damage taken by 50% for 4 turns. Buddy skills have a 40% chance to break this.
-Autocannon: Non-elemental Ranged attack to random party members. ATK-based. 0.3x damage. Hits 5 times.

And his skillset. Kind of similar to his skillset in DS. Though DS had a very different engine from the 3D games that I won't bother listing out the details of how he behaved in that game here. I will note that Kill Slash did kind of get buffed, as it was just a normal damaging move in DS that did not have the ability to instakill.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...thanks Yuma. Thanks. No, really, I don't mind that you're having an existential crisis, completely forgetting that Santa Claus is right there. :sigh:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...thanks Yuma. Thanks. No, really, I don't mind that you're having an existential crisis, completely forgetting that Santa Claus is right there. :sigh:

Yuma's been incredibly useless. Every W the guy's had is either off-screen or in a combat simulator and every L has been big and on-screen.

Rofaner
May 30, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Yuma's been incredibly useless. Every W the guy's had is either off-screen or in a combat simulator and every L has been big and on-screen.

Yuma is the Asuka of 7D3. Poor guy, it sounds like he wants to do good so badly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLVIII - Featuring: Group interviews

Ah, it was one of those 'knock out everyone in range' explosions.

Don't ask how we got back from the top of a tower coated in incredibly powerful Dragonsbane.

I should ask you the same thing.

Don't worry, I'm fine. My symptoms are almost all gone for now.

~

Shouldn't you be in bed?

Hey, I'm the worried one here, OK?

~~

Everyone's still in shock about Emel... Hey, Valerie... What do you think we should do? S-Sorry... It's way too soon to be asking you about that, huh?

*shakes head*

A new chapter means a new batch of construction to go along with it.

Including some new floors!

YES.

I don't have time for this, though... Someone needs to keep an eye on Yuma...

Yoritomo is out of action thanks to Emel's explosion. I guess Yuma dragged everyone back?

Pretty much all the NPC dialogue in Nodens is unchanged from last chapter, because why would it? As far as anyone here is concerned this is just another normal day.

But in far more important news:

POWER.

Mine mine mine mine mine

Mine.

Researcher Mitch: There're loads of fresh skill points in this shot! Sounds yummy, don't you think?

You obtained 3,500 SP!

You obtained SP Up EX x1.

Now, I haven't really mentioned this, but...

I've kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda been having Valerie save up a bit of SP.

Just a bit, mind you.

Everyone else starts chipping away at their T3 skills. GEORGE!, however, finishes capping out Bomb Bonus, letting him start each fight with a full stack of nine bombs.

This will be important later.

Even though it's totally Yuma's fault for turning his back to her.

Any idea on where Emel might be, Nagamimi?

Preloma... Why? Is that place not already a nest of dragons?

That's exactly it. Emel prolly wants to slaughter all the dragons in Preloma.

What do you mean...?

There's probably the tiniest bit of ego left within Emel that's making her do it. That should be obvious if she's still going after dragons.

Humanity. She'll spread that blue Dragonsbane, and become a dragon that only wants to kill humans.

Commander Emel becoming a dragon...? This is preposterous...

Oh, I nearly forgot! How is Nagiri doing~?

Nagiri is resting. On that note, Yoritomo has been hospitalized for his injuries as well. They'll stay here while you guys go out on your next mission.

*shakes head*

Please stop it, Jil~. Nothing in this world is that convenient...

B-But Sailas...

Jil, I agree with them. We need to hunt Emel... We need to hunt the 4th True Dragon Hypnos.

Jil... If she starts spreading Dragonsbane and eating humans, all while using the Dragonslayer... There won't be any hope left for humanity. Eden, and the rest of the world, would surely fall. Do you think Ms. Emel wished for that to happen?

That... may be true, but...

We must end this, with our own hands.

You know, watching Emel's former comrades decide to kill her for her own good is sad and all, but keep in mind that Emel's had like five minutes of pre-dragon screentime. If you don't know about the prior games and Emel's prominence there, like literally everyone in the West who saw the game and went 'wow! cool RPG!,' then the Eden crew has been debating about this for longer than Emel's been an actual ally.

Of course.

Thank you, Unit 13. Let's release her from her misfortune.

~

I want to save Emel, but...

This is the only way. Releasing her from her misfortune is... almost like saving her, in a way.

~~

Emel turned into a dragon. All dragons must be exterminated. Hence, Emel must die. Are these foolish emotions truly necessary for hunting dragons? You should simply focus on your tactics. That is all we will need to be victorious.

And now for Yuma's latest bit of character development:

What's gotten into you, Yuma? Calm down...!

I shall no longer allow my vision to be clouded. Therefore, I wish to enter Preloma independently!

Developing a raging inferiority complex from Unit 13 outclassing him so hard.

A solo mission...? Absolutely not! This level of confidence is approaching insanity!

Which, on one hand, is really tragic. The guy's a living weapon raised with a mindset of being the best or being discarded. He was polite to Unit 13, but only as long as he could see them as weaker than him. Now that we have two True Dragons to his zero, he's grasping at straws to reclaim his top spot before people decide he's no longer needed and throw him away.

No. Going on my own will free me of my shackles. It is the best possible option. It is the most feasible plan there is for defeating the 4th True Dragon Hypnos efficiently.

On the other hand, this is really funny, because Unit 13 consists of nine people from three different time periods. Yuma is straight up having a nervous breakdown because he isn't as strong as an entire group of people who have been training specifically to murder dragons.

We should work together.

Unit 13... Do you doubt my power? By defeating the 4th True Dragon Hypnos, I will prove it to you... I am the true dragon hunter...

~

You think we'll slow you down.

You would not be mistaken if you took it that way. I will defeat the 4th True Dragon Hypnos... And in doing so, I shall prove that I am the strongest person on this planet.

~~

Or is that just how he is when his supervisor's not around? *sigh* I need a break...

What!? Why?

Well, ISDF has a completely separate chain of command from us, right? I thought this is what you've wanted from the beginning, Julietta. Besides... competition promotes growth. Isn't that right, Unit 13?

Well, I'm sure every one of you has your own crappy opinion... But all you're doing is sitting around here. Shouldn't you be heading to Preloma?

Unit 13 nods.

~

Yuma seems quite motivated. It's splendid having someone to push you towards the path of growth★

Before we go hunt down Emel, we have something more important to take care of.

Because a new chapter also means a new batch of sidequests!

This is your final bout of employee training. Today you'll be learning about the future... Thankfully, I do not have a lecture for you today... Please head to the War Room as soon as possible...

This request was submitted by a refugee from Atlantis named Tohma... It seems Queen Ulania is being stalked by someone, so he'd like us to put an end to it... Furthermore, it seems that the suspect is a Nodens employee... Anyways, we can't ignore this situation. Please hurry to the Atlantis Evac Ward...!

This request comes from a chef named Goht who lives in the Eden Evac Ward... He said he wants to make an anniversary gift for his wife, and that he needs your help to do it... I hope I can find an amazing partner someday... I'm currently accepting applications... I don't care about the age, gender, race, or even species...

I have a request for help from Developer Ryo... But... he shouted something about a demon and ran off before I could ask him what he needed help with... Ryo is most likely in the Development Room. Please find out what he wanted...

Unit 13, have you ever read the Nodens periodical, "Nodens Monthly"? They publish all sorts of info about company happenings, as well as employee interviews and the like. From what I've heard, the next issue is due to be released, but they still don't have a headline article... At this rate, the company magazine will be blank this month... Just thinking about such a predicament makes my stomach hurt... The editor, Kanna, has been holed up in the Reference Room for a whole week now... Please help her...!

Well then, get on over to the Reference Room!

Asuka: We have been gathering books from Eden and Preloma and repairing them, but... We don't have much manpower for translation. We're far from ready to release any of the books. Ah... I know! Unit 13, you know that man Sailas from Eden, right? Could you go ask him to help us with the translation? That way you will be able to study...

*nods*

Asuka: Thank you so much! I'll loan you the original. It's an adult book, but it's pretty thin so you should finish the translation tonight. O-Oh, I don't mean that kind of adult— I... Nevermind. Please just forget about that.

Asuka: This floor is closed at night, so please undertake the translation elsewhere. When you've finished, please return the original book to President Allie.

~

Asuka: We just acquired a large number of books from Eden. They're from the future... The future! The past is great, but the future is incredible. Books are mankind's greatest invention...

The interview quest also starts here, so we might as well grab it now.

Kanna: That was close... If I fall asleep now, the "Nodens Monthly” will be...

*nods*

Kanna: I'm Kanna from the PR department! The gods of salvation have come down to my humble abode... I've wanted to interview Unit 13 for ages, but you guys are always out on a mission... You'll let me interview you for this month's company newsletter, right?

Of course.

Kanna: Yippeeeeee! Well, show me around already! I mean the Rest Floor! Obviously!

~

What do you need me to do?

Kanna: You can start by showing me around the Rest Floor!

~~

Kanna: Unit 13, shrouded in mystery... The three leaders who hold power over three time periods... This is definitely going to be the main article for this month's issue! Come on, let's go!

This is the first time the other team leaders have been acknowledged in... ever, really. I want to see how this plays out.

Kanna: Can you call the leaders of your 2nd and 3rd teams in as well? I'd like to conduct this interview discussion-style!

Kanna: Opal... You're the leader of the 1st team, right?

*nods*

Kanna: Which means you are the leader for the 2nd, Valerie?

*nods*

Kanna: And finally, you must lead the 3rd, GEORGE!.

*nods*

Kanna: OK! Well, this first question is for Valerie and GEORGE!... What do you think of Nodens? Valerie first!

It's close to the ocean!

Kanna: I see... So you like it here at Nodens.

~

Everything's so exciting.

Kanna: I see... So you like the atmosphere here at Nodens.

~

The food is great!

Kanna: I see... Tokyo is known for its excellent food, after all.

Just because the other leaders get to do something for once doesn't mean they'll get to do much. :v:

~~

Kanna: Next! What are your thoughts, GEORGE!?

It's a nice place to live.

Kanna: I see... So you like it here at Nodens.

~

I want to make lots of friends.

Kanna: I see... So you're interested in the people of Nodens.

~

It's full of surprises.

Kanna: I see... The Nodens facilities and staff members are all state of the art, after all.

~~

Kanna: Next up is a question for Opal. What do you think of these two teammates? First, Valerie.

I can depend on them.

Kanna: You've already overcome many a difficult battle together. I can really sense the bond of trust in your relationship!

~

I want to do more for them.

Kanna: Ah, you want to deepen your bond. That's a great attitude~

~

I'd like to stay with them forever...

Kanna: Wow, a confession of love!? How incredible~! A love born from the heat of battle...

~~

Kanna: Next, could you provide a comment about GEORGE!?

I Look up to them!

Kanna: That's great! There must be some kind of connection that forms between skilled warriors.

~

I wish they were more honest.

Kanna: Hm? Is GEORGE! still a bit reserved towards you? Well, as long as you keep battling together, it's only a matter of time until you become closer!

~

Love transcends all barriers.

Kanna: Wow, a statement of passionate love!? How incredible~!

At least this quest lets you go for the Unit 13 polycule.

~~

Kanna: Finally, I'd like a comment from each of you to the other members of Unit 13! Valerie first!

Oh my god please let this end...

I am immensely grateful.

Kanna: Yes, yes! I understand!

Every option gets this response, at the very least.

~~

Kanna: Next is GEORGE!!

You guys are the best!

Kanna: Yes, yes... This is great!

Same here.

~~

Kanna: And last but not least... Opal!

*shakes head*

Kanna: Hm? What's the matter?

There's so much I want to say...

Again, both options are the same.

Kanna: I see.

~~

Kanna: Alright, in that case you guys can just have a conversation between the three of you. I'll keep the recorder going, so just talk normally. While you do that, I'll take some photos!

Kanna: I thought it would be difficult for people from different time periods to work as a team... But it's a mystery. You're so in tune with each other, it's like you've always known one another!

All three nod.

Kanna: *chuckle* I'll bring you the article right away once we send it to print! Look forward to it! Anyways, this is a thanks for today. Please accept it!

You obtained 5,000 Az!

Next time: You've heard of VFD, now get ready for...

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 2, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: You've heard of VFD, now get ready for...

V(ery)V(ery)F(inal)D(ragon)? G Dragon? Kaiser Dragon?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIX - Featuring: Incredibly bad messages

You obtained High-Grade Bento x1.

System Message: I'm your navigator, so if there's anything you need, or even if there's not, feel free to call me!

System Message: You can now invite Mio to the Skylounge!

We have a few bentos to go through.

You obtained Stamina Bento x1.

System Message: I wish to converse with you in private. Please call me when you have a break from your mission.

System Message: You can now invite Yuma to the Skylounge!

Meanwhile Yuma flips from 'emotions are a crutch and I need to be strong grrrrrrrrr' to just... wanting to hang out.

You obtained High-Grade Bento x1.

No ID from Yoritomo just yet. I think all of these pop just from reaching Chapter 5.

Up next is getting Sailas to translate that book for us.

I see... Translating a history book, hm? I don't mind. I was just thinking about getting a refresher on that stuff~. Well, let's get to it.

Where should I start?

Translate the title.

The title is: "The Eden Chronicle”... And then the subtitle is: “Six Countries and the Nameless Heroes”...

...Wait.

~

Translate the body.

We were able to talk to the people of Eden with no issues, yet they use an entirely different writing system? How the hell does that work?

Due to the sudden arrival of dragons from another world, Eden was plunged into crisis. Dragonsbane flooded the world, which was faced with 666 dragons. People all over lost their lives. Even the Lucier Cannon, crafted by the Hypnos Sisters and 1,000 Lucier souls, could not win. However, all despair must come to an end. After overcoming great tragedy, Eden was rescued... Rescued by the hands of great heroes, led by the President of the Kazan Republic, Dohris Agot. Even though Dohris perished, his soul fused with the Dragonslayer and helped defeat the True Dragon. The hero who led the charge after the death of Dohris was... one called dragon hunter.

For whatever reason, VFD treats 7D1 as being cleared by a solo party.

This isn't out of left field either, the 7D1 segment of the intro movie also shows Lucier F!Fighter on her own.

And yet, without their help, humanity would surely have been annihilated. After that Dragon Calamity, many countries began rapidly rebuilding their destroyed cities and towns. That restoration was only possible thanks to the devoted work of that nameless adventurer.

~

Translate the annotation.

Preloma, City of Scholars... An isolated city, it is the source of Eden's knowledge. Its scholars specialize in ancient societies. The Kazan Republic... The freest city in the world, and home to the nameless adventurer who would one day save it. Tokion... Exists in a different dimension from Eden. The warrior Takehaya lies in its Muskahmi Ruins.

We aren't going to Tokion, I'd like to mention. Just so you don't get your hopes up.

Also lol Nevanplace, Mylos, Aizhen, and Marlleaire don't get even a token mention.

~~

Well, I guess that's just about everything~.

That was pretty interesting. Just let me know if you need anything else~.

Now to report back to Allie.

Excellent! So that means you're solid now on Eden's history, right? OK OK★ Well then, what did you think, Opal?

Eden is really interesting.

That's right. It is the future of this planet, after all★ There are many places other than just Kazan and Preloma. If not for this situation we have going on, I'd want to take lots of time and just explore Eden!

~

I wonder why Eden was created...

Hm... Not even I can answer that★ But Atlantis's destruction gave rise to our civilization, so... Maybe it's a case of out with the old, in with the news★

~

I want to meet the heroes of Eden.

You mean like Dohris, or Takehaya? *giggle* I'm sure they were very appealing heroes★ I'm sure they would have wanted to meet you too if they were still alive! *giggle* Don't worry about that stuff though★

~~

Well, your Employee Training has finally come to an end! You really worked hard. Here's your reward★ Use it well!

You obtained 3,000 Az!

You obtained SP Up EX x2.

You obtained Dragon Hatchling x1.

Dragon Hatchlings are our EX restore item.

Considering how powerful EX Skills are, these are going to get saved for a rainy day.

Oh yes! I'll return that book for you.

The Reference Room is always open, so be sure to poke your head in there when you get the chance!

Up next is that stalker who's been following Ulania.

Tohma: I caught this man storing images of Lady Ulania from various angles in this thing he calls a camera!

Yoshi: I told you, that's not what I was doing! Look, you can check my camera if you don't believe me. Go ahead, Unit 13.

Tohma: How can this be...? There were surely several images of Lady Ulania stored in that device.

*shakes head*

Yoshi: This camera is used for equipment inspection. All that's on there are photos of Nodens equipment.

Tohma: That... can't be!

Yoshi: Sorry for the confusion... I hope you understand now.

Tohma: How do I explain this...? The way his eyes gazed upon Lady Ulania was simply not normal... Could you please investigate him a little further?

*nods*

Tohma: Thank you very much...! I believe he is from the Development Floor of this building...

Ulania has nothing to say about this sidequest.

We have to talk to Julietta for info on Yoshi.

You'll definitely be able to find him there... What business could you have with him, anyways...?

A cutscene starts as soon as we get near the pods.

Ulania's 16, as a reminder.

Ear-Loving Girl: I-It's nothing, OK?

What were you doing?

Photographer: Ummm, well... It's kinda like... a viewing party.

~

Who were you talking about?

Photographer: Ummm, well... She's kinda like... a goddess.

~~

Yoshi: It's OK, everyone.

Ear-Loving Girl: Captain!

Yoshi: My name is Yoshi. I'm the head of maintenance for the development sector at Nodens. And...

Not really top secret when you're hanging around Noden's most popular spot.

Ear-Loving Girl: Member number 001: Yumika! I search high and low for anything that has to do with cat ears!

Photographer: Member number 002: Meguppe! I want nothing more than to be tied up by flowing pink hair!

Okay that's just loving creepy.

Frivolous Man: Member number 003: Kazuki! My whole paycheck goes towards this club!

Ear-Loving Girl: We've been fans of Lady Ulania ever since we saw her in the plaza.

Yoshi: By the way, the photos you saw on that inspection camera were all fakes. We set it up so that the photos I take of Lady Ulania are sent to Meguppe to the moment they're taken.

Why would you do that...?

Yoshi: I didn't understand the meaning of true beauty until I laid eyes on Lady Ulania... Not just beauty of appearance, but a beauty within her dignified, noble heart... Such intense beauty has never before existed in Tokyo. She is nothing short of a goddess.

Interestingly enough, this actually had a bit of setup! If we go back to the Intermission, where we brought Ulania outside:

You can see Yoshi in the crowd.

~

Why not be open about it...?

Yoshi: We can't. Lady Ulania is the emotional pillar for all the refugees from Atlantis. It would be rude for us Tokyo-ites to openly praise her glorious mystique.

~~

Frivolous Man: ...We know taking these kinds of photos is bad, but... Lady Ulania almost never comes out in public...

Photographer: We started by taking photos from far away when she was on the terrace or near a window... But we kept wanting to get closer. Closer... and closer... and then—

Ear-Loving Girl: Please, don't be mad at Captain! He took a really big risk to get those photos for us...!

She'd understand if you explain.

Yoshi: Explain?

~

You should apologize.

Yoshi: Apologize?

~~

Yoshi: You mean... to Lady Ulania!? N-N-No, that's just... W-Wait wait wait...

Ear-Loving Girl: Even our amazing captain has never actually spoken to Lady Ulania...

Frivolous Man: What're you afraid of, Captain!? You should totally go!

Photographer: This is our chance to finally meet the goddess! We'll tag along~!

Yoshi: U-Um... O-OK! I'm a man... I can do this. I'm going to go apologize to Lady Ulania! Will you take us to her, Unit 13?

We don't talk to Tohma or anything, we just head straight to Ulania.

Oh huh the Ear-Loving Girl is actually a kid.

Can't really tell from the camera angle in the last scene.

Tohma: Lady Ulania... How do you wish to deal with them?

...You sure? Not even the chick who wants to get tied up in your hair?

Tohma: You wish to forgive them...!?

Indeed, I do.

Tohma: Let us at least seize the large number of photographs from their villainous clutches...

*shakes head*

Just like Atlantis, Tokyo faces imminent destruction at the hands of the dragons. If photographs of me will provide a source of hope and comfort for the people of this city... Then that is appropriate atonement for my inability to save the people of my kingdom.

Remember kids: stalking a minor is A-OK so long as you're doing it to cope with the apocalypse!

Tohma: Lady Ulania...

Yoshi, and the other members of this fan club...

Yoshi: Y-Yes!

Your feelings towards me do not come from... dark places, correct?

Frivolous Man: T-Totally! We're like, pure as snow!

Just say the word, Ulania, we can have Meguppe in another time period and out of Japanese jurisdiction before the day is out...

Then there is no reason to hide in the shadows. Do not take any more photos of me in secret. However, I will create opportunity for you to interact with me in a more normal setting.

From today onwards, you shall be my official fan club. I hope this relationship will grow even stronger going forward.

Yoshi: Lady Ulania is a true goddess... *snivel*

At the very least, these guys cease to exist the moment this sidequest ends so we'll never have to deal with them again.

Tohma: I suppose it is because of that heart that she is able to attract those even from other times. We too have much to learn from the warmth that radiates from Lady Ulania's heart. This is a token of my gratitude. Thank you very much!

You obtained 3,000 Az!

That's it. Just a pittance of money for enabling an obsessed group of fans. Not even some token healing items.

I love how gentle you are, but you'll need to harden that soft heart of yours this time.

I stop off to chat with Julietta before moving to the next quest.

Said quest is at the Eden ward, but you know what I found on the way there?

Muta: It is a crystal of wisdom that has formed from their years of fending off dragons and monsters. It will surely be of great use.

Another unmarked field skill.

Anyways, Stealth Lv. 3 gives 5 charges of complete random encounter disabling.

Wounded Huntsman: I'm still in pain, but at least now I can move my arm.

The one person we saved at the Ladyin Ruins has also moved in.

And our questgiver is the guy we met back when the ward first opened.

Goht: I used to be a cook in Preloma. Before 'aze attacked, my restaurant always got top marks. The day of my wedding anniversary is almost 'ere. My wife can't wait for 'er gift. Every year, I make 'er a meal with monster parts, but I can't get my 'ands on them 'ere. So, I 'umbly request that you go gather the ingredients for me.

*nods*

Goht: Woah! Thanks a 'eap! The ingredients I need are: One Flame Collagen, one Ebony Wing, and one Marbled Copper Beef. You should be able to get all of them in Preloma. Thanks for the 'elp!

Since we haven't, you know, been to Preloma yet, this one will have to go on the backburner for now.

So our last sidequest for today is from this guy in the Development Room.

Ryo: Woahhh, there are scratches all over your weapons! It's like you're real fighters! Oh, sorry! To tell you the truth, I've always wanted to get a look at some equipment up close...

Are you a weapon buff?

Ryo: No, no! It's not like that!

~

Are you a fan of Unit 13?

Ryo: Well of course I'm rooting for you guys, but...

~~

Ryo: I'm developing a new game title here in the Development Room. Seeing your look and battle techniques was a huge help in polishing up my project idea!

And now we've gone from dealing with a team of stalkers, to helping a man make monster stew, to making a knock-off of the very game we're playing. Meanwhile Emel is a ticking time-bomb that's been waging a one dragon war against any dragon stupid enough to be in Preloma.

Welcome to VFD.

Ryo: “BFD” stands for “Big Freaking Demon”! Whadya think? Doesn't it sound fun!?

What an exciting name!

Ryo: Right!? I thought so, too... But then my boss told me he didn't want me to keep working on it...

That's rather understandable on Julietta's part considering the active dragon invasion that's going on.

~

That sounds terrible...

Ryo: Hey...! Don't be so quick to turn me down! It seems like it could be pretty good. At least, it did... But then my boss told me he didn't want me to keep working on it...

~~

Ryo: Anyways, it's supposed to be set in an ancient planet covered in water! But a giant demon emerges from the abyssal depths of the sea and wreaks havoc... Anyways, can you take me to Atlantica!? I'm gonna prove that this idea can work!

I can't guarantee your safety.

Ryo: That's fine! I'll gladly put my life on the line for this game!

~

It's too dangerous!

Ryo: Don't say that! I'm begging you, please help! I'm putting it all on the line for this game! I don't plan on giving up! I'm just gonna keep asking until you say yes!

This has the same responses as the last one.

~~

Ryo: I'm ready to go any time, so let me know when you wanna go!

You'll find out why I changed to Team 2 in a moment.

You have to talk to Ryo again to actually have him head out.

Yup!

Ryo: Alright! Let's gooo!

And even then, you still have to go to Atlantica yourself!

Oh, so that's why Atlantica still has Dragonsbane.

Music: Atlantica - The Emerald Afterglow

This is what time travel has been reduced to.

Bringing a game developer on a guided tour of the past to give him idea for a new project.

Ryo: Hm...? I feel a good idea coming from back over there...!

Music: Atlantica - The Emerald Afterglow

I think you can tell what this quest is about.

We have to run through Atlantica again.

Oh, and the monsters here are the exact same as before, but thankfully we just got Stealth 3 so we don't have to waste time on them.

Our target is that new dragon, which is right before the last area.

This isn't a game! Stand back!

Ryo: What an epic line! Let me write that down...! S-Sorry, I couldn't help it!

~

Why not try fighting it?

Ryo: I-I'll have to pass! I can't really gather data if I'm fighting, after all...

~~

Ryo: The battle between Unit 13 and BFD is finally here...!

So, why is Team 2 taking this?

Simple, really.

Tier 3 means Brave Sword.

Life Oath to give Valerie more LF.

Exhaust for more damage.

And...

:fuckoff:

That damage doesn't seem like much right now, but keep in mind that Valerie still needs to cap out LIFE Bonus (which will give 1.3x LF) and Life Oath. (which gives another 1.3x boost) Plus, every level effectively double dips to increase Brave Sword's damage, boosting both LF and MAT.

And since items have priority...

Valerie doesn't have to worry about outspeeding a heal!

Although she could probably use some SPD boosters so she can outspeed enemies.

Brave Sword's damage isn't nearly as impressive if the user is already hurt.

Next time: Preloma, after a small detour.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 2, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The tone of these sidequests is so jarring in context of the current main plot, I have to wonder how much of it was intentional.

Good thing we got true main character Valerie continuing to meet her destiny as a certified Dragon shitwrecker

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah uh. That was sure a way for the stalker quest to end.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

The tone of these sidequests is so jarring in context of the current main plot, I have to wonder how much of it was intentional.

I'm not sure if intentional is the right concept for it, so much as they straight up can't have sidequests with a similar tone.

The main issue is all sidequests are taken from the quest office and as a result, most of the sidequests take place during present day. Which is the period of time that's doing pretty hunky dory. Yeah sure there is a dragon invasion that started in chapter 4, but the D team is currently speedrunning it, so things are overall fine.

The previous games had sidequests more fitting with the overall atmosphere, as in DS, the world has hit rock bottom and is only recovering thanks to your guild. While in the 2020s, the dragon apocalypse is on-going and shows little signs of stopping to the general populace, so the sidequests in that game were generally about trying to get by in that environment, or people trying their best to carry on with their everyday lives despite that.

But none of that is really happening in the Tokyo era of VFD, so the sidequests here are very relatively mundane tasks overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Araxxor posted:

Yeah sure there is a dragon invasion that started in chapter 4, but the D team is currently speedrunning it, so things are overall fine.

They're more than speedrunning it they already finished. The entire reason they came to the Ladyin Ruins is because all the High Dragons were dead.

The only reason we can't just go and end the invasion right now is because VFD is still a no-show.