Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
cjs finally actually throwing some parallelisable stuff at this mac studio and it is unsurprisingly much faster than my lovely old laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

has consumer audio tech caught up to consumer photo tech? by which i mean: some nerds used to think the future of (non-pro) photography was for everyone to get a dslr and fancy lenses, when in fact the future is that everyone uses a cellphone with atrocious optics that get corrected in software. so can we get rid of dorky rear end surround sound systems and keep our surprisingly accurate 3d spatial audio with a soundbar, a subwoofer, and a sprinkle of magic?

i have heard exactly 1 (one) tech demo soundbar that did surprisingly accurate 3d spatial audio with just a soundbar, a subwoofer, and magic dsp crap. it actually works pretty good. but you have to sit between 80 and 110 centimeters from the soundbar and your head has to be exactly on axis in the middle. if you shift your head just 5 centimeters off axis the whole thing falls apart. they were trying to put a camera in there to do some sort of head tracking to adjust the dsp settings to allow a little bit of movement but ultimately it only works for a single person, you can't have like 2 people watching a movie together. at that point just use headphones imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fart simpson posted:

if it makes any difference to you, i think the big noticeable jumps in the Home Theater Experience are, roughly in order imo:

mono -> stereo
adding a subwoofer
adding 2 surround speakers
adding a center channel
going from 2 to 4 height channels
going from 0 to 2 height channels

after that it’s pretty marginal but all of those things you can instantly notice stuff just got better. 5.1.4 is the best you can do with 9 speakers plus a sub i think

fwiw i agree with this, when i was working on video stuff i would deal with all sorts of setups and i think that's about right. it's diminishing returns beyond the height channels and while it's noticeable if you know what to look for, on a soundtrack with all sorts of other effects and poo poo going on its not exactly going to stand out. most people probably can't even tell it's there, really. the recommendation for 5.1.4 in that configuration is spot on imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its funny because i think height channels are basically just a gimmick when you only have 2 of them but going from 2 to 4 really makes them work because being able to localize along 2 axes up there is huge

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that kind of makes sense, i'll do it up at the next place for sure
my couch is backed up to a wall here so there's only so much i can do behind me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
well, i mean, they kind of are a gimmick when theres just "high/low", lol

but yeah, it's the localization that makes the difference. similar to the virtualized stuff i think, basically the placement makes the difference just because it was almost invariably mastered for someone front and center. obviously there's a bit of a difference with the virtualization only working because they're very specific directional (and psychoacoustic etc) tricks, but it's not a bad comparison i think

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actually i kinda wonder if 1 front height and 1 rear height channel would work better than a left/right pair. ive never seen anyone set it up that way but i think theres a chance it would be a better use of just 2 heights. otoh maybe theres a reason nobody does it like that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

that kind of makes sense, i'll do it up at the next place for sure
my couch is backed up to a wall here so there's only so much i can do behind me

yah same as my couch. i have like 10 cm of clearance from the back of the couch to the wall and i had some surround speakers jammed in there for a while but it wasnt really worth it to so i took them out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do this when you buy & set up the ranch jonny

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/11.1.8-mounted-overhead-speakers-setup-guide/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

actually i kinda wonder if 1 front height and 1 rear height channel would work better than a left/right pair. ive never seen anyone set it up that way but i think theres a chance it would be a better use of just 2 heights. otoh maybe theres a reason nobody does it like that

lol i haven't ever seen that either but i think there's a MPEG/SMPTE defined configuration for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also, idk if the camera analogy is super accurate. Like, the real magic is in the sensors and more specifically in the computing power behind it. That is definitely present in audio land, though naturally you gotta squint and cock your head a bit to compare a capture system (photogrpahy) to a playback system (home theatre).

Speakers is speakers. You just can't cheese them. you cannot get usable balanced bass out of a 3" woofer. However, the tech behind them, starting with super-efficient and accurate class D amps, back to shitloads of DSP in the receiver, connected to the media device via HDMI cabling with fuckoff-gigabits-per-second of capacity, playing a nearly perfect codec of a movie that shows eight million pixels between 24 and 60 times a second.....yeah, there's a tremendous amount of technological advance. Cobbling together this thousand buck system ive put together back in even 1990 would have been like a half million dollars or more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

how do you even build a system like this. are there even receivers that can run that many or what the hell do you do there. i mean obviously the amps are no big deal, you can just buy more, but what does one process the media through to pull out all the driving signals for all those

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

in a processing sense i think it's an accurate enough comparison to get the point across lol

like, there's almost no way i'd use a phone for something professional unless i was really, really in a jam and didn't have anything else on me at the time. does that make it unacceptable for like 95%+ of the population? hell no, it's good enough

same thing with audio really, although for whatever reason people seem to be more discerning there. you might be underestimating the absolute crap most people use lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i've had to deal with dolby reps from time to time and they will push some absolutely bonkers impractical poo poo lol

it usually comes around to ":shrug: we're not the ones building it"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

how do you even build a system like this. are there even receivers that can run that many or what the hell do you do there. i mean obviously the amps are no big deal, you can just buy more, but what does one process the media through to pull out all the driving signals for all those

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/SDP-75-.html?dwvar_SDP-75-_color=Black-US-Current&cgid=electronics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah hope these stock options pop

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actually i dont know if theres any receivers that have that many channels built in. the only systems ive seen set up for crazy numbers of channels like that are doing separate preamp + amp like the old caveman days

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bookmark this jonny. its the cheapest processor i found that can do 19 channels of atmos decoding. amps sold separately, $7500

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_973AVM90/Anthem-AVM-90.html

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao see the dolby people are loving crazy

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Ended up loving around with a little melody for... 4 hours without realizing it. Think I'm catching the bug again.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol if you dont just listen to music on your iphone speakers

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I listen to music in a big bed with my wife.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I put the subwoofer under the bed and play the map music from Blast Corps to get the motor running

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i appreciate that you used normal pizza pepperoni instead of the trendy little ones that curl up into grease cups

exactly what is wrong with tasty little greasebowls

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They're not only trendy, they were always good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ciaphas posted:

made a pizza tonight

next time i need to flatten out the dough and/or use more of it, not bother with parmesan pre-bake (the burnt bits - whoops), couple other things; but it tastes good so for babby's first 'za and dough-in-a-can, i'm gonna call this a success :yum:

gently caress that looks delicious. drat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

psiox posted:

exactly what is wrong with tasty little greasebowls

i love the crunch but not so much the grease tbh

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i do not listen to "music"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cat Face Joe posted:

i do not listen to "music"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

CPColin posted:

I put the subwoofer under the bed and play the map music from Blast Corps to get the motor running

time to get moving

"kreatrock"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does that chart work? Do you have to listen to everything at a given level to be from there, or just one of the genres? Like, I mostly listen to level 0 stuff, but also ambient and folk

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

How does that chart work? Do you have to listen to everything at a given level to be from there, or just one of the genres? Like, I mostly listen to level 0 stuff, but also ambient and folk

lol that "classic rock" makes you an "outsider"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also that jazz is level 1. I'd say that in most places having a bunch of jazz records makes you pretty weird

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i learned about height channels from this thread

im still using the speakers built into my tv

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jazz is devil music used by black people to lure white women to dance with them after smoking reefer cigarettes.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
cjs: don’t feel like doing it today :mad:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

that reefer is dangerous stuff. turns white men into savage beasts. we must outlaw it immediately!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Achmed Jones posted:

i am legit surprised the speakers in my LG are good enough

they've really gotten better from the old days of absolute trash. the only thing im missing is some bass so some scenes in movies kinda get blown out. ill fix that later tho since it's not important and i wanna invest in a good setup

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cjs: back at it, long weekend was nice and the weather was incredible.

I’m pretty drat tired tho lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

:same:

Achmed Jones posted:

i have a receiver and two bookshelf speakers (no sub) which are pretty good