Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: say what you will about manual memory management at least then you can more easily reason about the lifetime of objects :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

when does this expensive object exit memory? who fuckin' knows

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the only axiomatic truth is :justpost:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

most owls are adequate at best

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: after three days i have found the source of my memory leak. it's... a log statement??

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

some log framework that gives performance guarantees but best-efforts everything, including cleanup? very random guess, but had that in an autotrader at one time, and you're in a similarly performance-obsessed industry

actually i think it's our bespoke events system, it's subscribing a log statement to an object sending a change event, and swapping between the C# built-in Console.WriteLine and Unity's own Debug.Log does not fix the issue, even if the subscribed lambda doesn't pull the reactive object. gonna flag the guy who wrote it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ha ha jk it's my own code :negative:

this sounds like an after-lunch problem

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

is the log statement preventing garbage collection of an object reference in the statement?

nah there's a bug somewhere in a chain of IDisposable objects, gonna spend some time this afternoon finding it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs solved the bug, i was accidentally calling an extension method rather than the method i thought i was calling, meaning that resources weren't being tracked and freed properly. it's fixed now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

time to reward myself with: a nap

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

drat that sounds nice as heck

nap report: was nice as heck

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my pro napping strategy is actually a 15m timer, followed by a 5m timer. get 20m worth of sleep without any of the nap grogginess

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also my dog recognizes the sounds of me getting ready for a nap so i always have a snuggle buddy :3:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

here is my dog post-nap

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

awww they're adorable, very good dog

he's a very good boy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HamAdams posted:

hell yea, love 2 nap with dogs

i have never met a snugglier dog than gordon, he is the best

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the reason is that you're waking up at a bad time in your sleep cycle. no joke the 15-20 minute power nap is the best form of nap i have found. it takes some practice to learn to fall asleep in that time but thankfully the practice is literally "set a timer, go close your eyes, if you don't fall asleep that's ok you still got some rest"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

jonny are you a literal psycopath irl

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

I am of an age where my good years can be counted on fingers and toes. I just don't want to sleep it away. that's all.

hmm. i guess this answer is acceptable.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:yeah:

in college i had a little 15 minute nap app and one of the things it said was "even just closing your eyes can be profoundly beneficial" and it's true. even if you don't literally fall asleep, lying down in a calm space with your eyes closed for a little bit is still a lot more restful than not doing that

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i want to learn to meditate but im extremely bad at it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Roosevelt posted:

my greatest weakness is not wanting to leave the little 15 minute nap if i get in the zone

this is why i nap in two phases, a 15 minute phase and then a 5 minute phase. the 5 minute phase makes me not hate when the 15 minute alarm goes off

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if im tired enough to be nodding off/taking microsleeps i usually will have very vivid, very short dreams in there, most notably when i was a high schooler nodding off in first period spanish class and dreamed i was on an operating table. one doctor said "you can't do that, it's unethical" and the other doctor responded "i don't care, i'm the lead surgeon on this case, and I say we eat him!"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that was the whole dream

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Q: What did Mickey buy when his wife confessed she was feeling unsatisfied?
A:

Asleep Style posted:

a hardware mouse jiggler

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

graph posted:

the three times i have gone lucid were powernaps before gigs

weirdly I only go lucid when I am having a nightmare. this is a powerful skill to have because it lets me short circuit the nightmare and have a different, better dream

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

once, way back when my son was an infant, i had a dream i was lying in bed dying, and my grown son was there, and he held my hand and i looked at him and i felt this overwhelming feeling of peace and acceptance because i knew it was ok to die because my time was done and he was grown and strong and that everything was as it should be and i died and then i woke up and honestly it was one of the most moving experiences of my life

ive had dreams of giving blowjobs but this is neat too

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

a bit after i started riding motorcycle and was newly single, i had a dream where a cute girl was getting flirty with me and we decided we wanted to go on a motorcycle ride! She hopped on the back and said "let's go!" Her dad showed up and said "hang on a second, that's dangerous!" and her mom looked me up and down and said "It's okay. i trust him."

and i'll hang on to that for the rest of my life

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PokeJoe posted:

what a coincidence, I've had dreams of receiving them! probably nothing

lol

Kenny Logins posted:

ugh. i hate work-stress dreams

lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

what's important is that we always center a11y, i18n, and s12y as we work on our q2 okrs

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm really glad I work in a place where I don't have to deal with that bullshit

:same:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lol if u post when not in front of bad screen

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

[for this post i am unburdened from the shackles of capitalism for a few days, and also im a big dipshit] time to Post

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

graph posted:

cjs im being suckered into another full days work ffs

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bump_fn posted:

did some cherry blossom tourism better photos on my dslr but here are some phone pix

all the cherry blossoms in my neighborhood are blooming right now, it's the best :3:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cls had a migraine, laid down in the dark, not sure if i fell asleep or not

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: really appreciate that every time i reopen unity after it crashes it asks me how likely id be to recommend it to a friend or colleague

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also today is the last day before a four day weekend and it's a no meeting day and sitting in front of bad screen is significantly more annoying under these circumstances

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

im king charles irl

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

skiing becomes much safer when you learn if you press the F key you can outpace the yeti