Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Fortaleza posted:

pis are cool, I have 4 of them in a cluster now

i had fun with mine for a little bit and then lost interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

today i learned that "thriller" originally started out as "starlight"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda the opposite of what happened when Michael Jackson wrote a cheery pop banger called Starlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsF-csdTOr4

Which then got spookified into a Halloween novelty song called Thriller. Luckily it still owned

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: doing a mandatory training on protecting SAP's Intellectual Property, as if it were a real and worthwhile concept

i did an internship at SAP many years ago, i still remember one of the newsletters talking about how they won a big contract at delphi with the heading "SAP Beats Oracle at Delphi"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

animist posted:

hello cjs thread

hello

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

you know how in-n-out burger prints bible verses on their wrappers? well today i learned they're not the only company that does that

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hbag posted:

did you post that because i said in and out or is that just a wacky coincidence

wacky coincidence, i was reading another thread where someone used the abbreviation ACOG, which i went to look up and found this subsection leading to that article

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

im talking about taking a poo poo while being paid if you didn't catch said drift

i would get paid at work, but i have a bidet at home, truly the dilemma of our times

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Florida shouldn’t have a hockey team, poo poo’s stupid. Someone tell them I said to knock it off and fold the franchise

does this apply to every hockey team in a warm place or just florida?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I feel like la is ok, it's la they should have everything

vegas is weird, but ok, whatever, it's vegas

San Jose you're on the list, anahiem too.

phoenix? dallas?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

wasnt there a big thing several years back where a lot of people were doing cloud based dev environments? like it was a web based text editor, version control, deploy, and execute, so you didnt have to have a local dev environment etc? i dont write the codes so i'm not aware if those ever took off or if people just went back to vscode or w/e and local execution

we have office 365 and for a while that included azure notebooks, which was a hosted juypter notebook system and it was great for workshops

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah they go stupid fast and have great runtime. not like when we were kids with those cursed nicad packs that ran for like 8 minutes

and heavy, i assume a lot of power was lost lugging all that nickel around

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hbag posted:

that is by far the most piss-poor response yet

"dont worry you get used to wasting 5/7ths of your life"

their response really does explain a lot about most adults

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

most adults are trapped in a crushing grind that gives them little time for being a self actualized person?

it would make you think, if you had enough energy and time to think

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

all the work stuff is true but the main thing i wish i knew when i was younger was that when you gently caress up at work, nobody gives a poo poo at all

i once accidentally shorted out a microcontroller dev kit during an internship and i was so ashamed and scared that i was going to get in huge trouble and it turned out nobody cared at all, and they never do and never will. So stressing about work is a huge waste of time as long as you're not a doctor or something where failures can actually harm human beings

a good manager will treat that cost as "training" because i bet you were more careful with the second dev kit

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

my job environment is okay and the work is morally positive, but i don't get paid very much so that's the tradeoff

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

does anyone know how to cope with crushing loneliness

i like to post on internet forums

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

lol at yosposters exploring existential philosophy

i'm not claiming to understand it, but it seems pretty positive to me. we can be anything we want, because humans are free to choose their purpose. you think about the abstract idea of a table before you build one, it has a purpose before it exists. humans exist first and must find joy in creating our own purpose.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

i think "working under capitalism" should not be conflated with "contributing to society"

i agree, and this is why capitalism is so opposed to a good society

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Low-Pass Filter posted:

send a prospectus

there's gold in them thar markets

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

eat more lactaid

this is what i do and it works for me, i also get lactose-free milk for eating and cooking

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

dioxazine posted:

i usually use soy milk for anything i need. the taste is good

soy milk is great, every other milk substitute is marked up sugar water

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

the book came out in 2021

is J&J in there because of the tylenol scare from 40 years ago?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hbag posted:

i take wednesdays off so should i get high before i watch the new BCS episode or not

why are you asking us

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

rage, rage against the dying of the light

doesn't everyone here love staying up late?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s better than perl

was perl the one where they made breaking changes and decided to go with a new name for an added layer of confusion?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it is indeed completely worthless for gamedev. a point in its favor

i bet someone could make a pretty good python text adventure

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

akadajet posted:

mechanicals are prone to failure just because there's so many moving parts going at high speed that are really sensitive

https://kottke.org/08/11/counting-all-the-blades-of-grass-in-ireland posted:

Consider this little comparison: if the read/write head were a Boeing 747, and the hard-disk platter were the surface of the Earth:

- The head would fly at Mach 800
- At less than one centimeter from the ground
- And count every blade of grass
- Making fewer than 10 unrecoverable counting errors in an area equivalent to all of Ireland.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i'm glad we have solid state drives now

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

the coolest thing about my nas is that automatic zfs snapshots show up and seem to work in the volume shadow copy interface in windows

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hbag posted:

i never really had birthday parties as a kid and i feel bad about it

i had some that were okay i guess, but i don't remember any of them that fondly nor do i think about them particularly often. i also never went to a school dance of any kind and i turned out great.

being an adult is like a thousand percent better than being a kid/teen/adolescent

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

what in the sam hell is this sentence

(e) no really what the gently caress is 996 and touching fish supposed to loving mean

996 is a work schedule of 9 hours a day for 6 days a week, i forget what the other 9 means

touching fish is a chinese idiom for goldbricking

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

9-9, not 9 hours a day. 12 hours a day

:rip:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/wwwtxt/status/1529966415519789056

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i use firefox with ddg search because i like the ! operators

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

Same. It seems the tracker bruhaha only happens on the DDG app, but still pretty lovely to sell yourself on privacy and then backpedal to pedantic "we never promised anything like this"

absolutely, it's a big error for their "brand" since privacy is all their brand is

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

i've been using bing a ton lately because i guess i am in some a/b testing group on google where it is extremely loving terrible for me

like, google for "thing", click first result, ctrl-f to find "thing" in page: Phrase not found

everyone is in this group because google search is loving garbage now

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao

they must have taken this out given that 80% of searches i make return content-farm articles

good results mean you don't click on advertisements

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

mystes posted:

They're trying to say "google intentionally makes their search results worse so you'll click on the ads instead" which is probably not actually true

maybe not "intentionally" but yes, i think they allowed it to get worse through inaction because if you spend more time on the search results page trying to find a good result, that's more time looking at ads and more chances to click on ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quarantinethepast posted:

I got banned back in 2013 arguing with Fishmech, I got a little too heated.

i've definitely gotten heated online in the past but i think i've been much better lately