Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’m assuming you got rad on a bike given the way you describe it. Are there other trails in the lower peninsula that have the kind of coverage Fort Custer offers? I’ve only ever seen poo poo as or more gnarly in the UP, but nothing like this at a state park.

How were the mosquitoes?

I'm not that good and I ride a steel 2014 bike, but I have fun. Ft Custer was a nice surprise, I haven't run into the sheer volume of tricky obstacles.

You want fast and sketchy but less technical: try Yankee Springs or cannonsburg.

The closest I've seen so far has been The Dragon in Newago, but I'm not that well traveled.

Mosquitos suck poo poo at flying and are a non issue on a bike unless you stop to catch your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
If the tents only with greenery between each site existed within 2 hours of me, I would be there every weekend. Bonus points if they are on the water.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gravitee posted:

If the tents only with greenery between each site existed within 2 hours of me, I would be there every weekend. Bonus points if they are on the water.

“Tents only” basically doesn’t exist in the lower peninsula, unless it’s explicitly hike-in. The vast majority of folks use trailers and RVs, and Michigan wouldn’t turn away that cash flow by making sites within the main campground tent only. The highest tent-camper coverage seen so far was only 16%, and that was at a small park (Ionia SRA, write up coming soon…)

That said, where is “2 hours of me”? We’ve got a fair amount of Michigoons in this thread that could probably give you good recommendations based on your needs.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Goonmeet 2.0 here we go

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I know, it was more a wish. I'm in Oakland County. I've come close at one of the sites near Brighton (Brighton Rec Area I think) that was mostly tent camping and had wide spots with lots of greenery in between them.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

“Tents only” basically doesn’t exist in the lower peninsula, unless it’s explicitly hike-in. The vast majority of folks use trailers and RVs, and Michigan wouldn’t turn away that cash flow by making sites within the main campground tent only. The highest tent-camper coverage seen so far was only 16%, and that was at a small park (Ionia SRA, write up coming soon…)

That said, where is “2 hours of me”? We’ve got a fair amount of Michigoons in this thread that could probably give you good recommendations based on your needs.

tbh there are a bunch of parks I've been to where they could definitely open up the "group camp" area to first come first serve tent campers. Those spaces are generally more green and less "developed" and would be really nice to pitch a tent at. I really just wish that they had more tent-only sites so that us tent campers would have additional opportunities to book sites. I'm currently booking out our EARLY AUGUST trip (4 days with family at Interlochen, 3 days on the road) which I planned out, forgot to book and lady bagmo was super busy so we didn't talk it out and here we are... But the one thing I noticed is that more than a few of the rustic sites are still available, otherwise I'm just picking through scraps to figure out what we can piece together. I'd love if there were more tent-only because I'm pretty sure those might still be available

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Which, if anyone has any questions about how I pull off booking my trip like less than a month ahead of time, please ask! I can teach you what I do and how I figure out how to cobble things together with state parks last minute.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Which, if anyone has any questions about how I pull off booking my trip like less than a month ahead of time, please ask! I can teach you what I do and how I figure out how to cobble things together with state parks last minute.

You might as well put in an effort post, this is definitely the thread for it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You might as well put in an effort post, this is definitely the thread for it

I will actually detail the process once I get things booked here! I should be booking today and tomorrow, will share the plans so that y'all can see the thought process!

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
When friends of mine lived in Ann Arbor we really liked Crooked Lake rustic campground in Pinckney Recreation area as tent campers. Sites are decently spread out from one another, we liked site 4. Only major downside is it's not very big so it can book up pretty quick. Nice set of trails around too.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I grew up in mn but visited the upper peninsula a lot.

I hear copper harbor is better than ever on the MTB front, and it was already baller like a decade ago.

It's amazing how few people tent camp out here where I live now (Utah).

Everyone talks about going camping but it usually involves towing a monstrous trailer with two bedrooms and a garage for all your fancy powertoys. Running your generator all night and taking showers in your fifth wheel and poo poo.

Meanwhile I'm going on weeklong trips where we just live out of our tents rain or shine and ride 100s of miles on gnarly singletrack while dunking in whatever creeks or lakes we end up near if we need to feel clean. Different strokes I guess...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I grew up in mn but visited the upper peninsula a lot.

I hear copper harbor is better than ever on the MTB front, and it was already baller like a decade ago.

It's amazing how few people tent camp out here where I live now (Utah).

Everyone talks about going camping but it usually involves towing a monstrous trailer with two bedrooms and a garage for all your fancy powertoys. Running your generator all night and taking showers in your fifth wheel and poo poo.

Meanwhile I'm going on weeklong trips where we just live out of our tents rain or shine and ride 100s of miles on gnarly singletrack while dunking in whatever creeks or lakes we end up near if we need to feel clean. Different strokes I guess...

I like your style. gently caress anyone running a generator anywhere near a tent camper. I had a miserable night listening to a drunk family scream at their kids and blast top 30 music whilst running the generator and generally being belligerent. Nevermind the fact that they were clear across a water feature that seemed to turn the whole valley into an amp for their nonsense. :argh:

Edit, I was wilderness camping in a national forest off a numbered forest drive and not in an official camp site where I'd expect that I'd deal with other humans.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I spend a night at the canyonlands needles area national park campground a few years ago. I normally don't go to actual campgrounds out here since there's so much public land but sometimes it's convenient.

There was a couple from Germany next to us, with their rv. Like they brought it on a ship from Germany, German plates and all.

They watched two hours of what sounded like a German WWII movie that night. Full blast. Sounded like they had loving surround sound. Unreal

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I spend a night at the canyonlands needles area national park campground a few years ago. I normally don't go to actual campgrounds out here since there's so much public land but sometimes it's convenient.

There was a couple from Germany next to us, with their rv. Like they brought it on a ship from Germany, German plates and all.

They watched two hours of what sounded like a German WWII movie that night. Full blast. Sounded like they had loving surround sound. Unreal

:eyepop:

The sheer dedication to feeling like you didn’t even go.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
:bisonyes: Update soon

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

:bisonyes: Update soon

2 out of 3 booked. One is waterfront, the other is at a desirable state park. Will reveal once I get that last site booked.

For those curious, I started stalking midnrreservations dot org on Sunday and availability at a few different campsites has changed drastically. If you're thinking about last minute planning, it absolutely CAN work. You can even get really nice sites sometimes!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Everything's booked!!!!!!

Interlochen State Park with the family for four days.

Leelanau State Park for one night

Clear Lake State Park for one night

Onaway State Park for one night

I booked all of these in the past seven days for early/mid August, with Clear Lake being booked last this morning. I noticed that after 12pm EST each day, the cancelled reservations open up, which was how I was able to snag the Leelanau spot on Thursday. The other two are parks I've been wanting to check out, dates just happened to line up well.

My strategy for booking is to first look at what's available, and then start to formulate a trip around the best available camp site. In this case, we already had our 4 days booked at Interlochen with my family, so I knew where I was starting. From there, I looked around the map and thought about what destinations I wanted to hit. Marquette was one, Holland was another, Tawas was my third. When I started looking at the parks in the UP, combined with travel time between destinations, I realized it wasn't going to match the vibes I'm going for this year, which is relaxing. Then Tahquamenon Falls got all booked up for the good sites and I just binned that idea. When I looked through what was available down the west coast, it was slim pickings and lovely campsites next to the restrooms or showers or whatever. Then, as I was browsing on Tuesday, I noticed that some spots had opened up at Leelanau! And here we are.

Biggest takeaways:
1. Set an end destination or goal. Porcupine Mountains, Warren Dunes, Marquette, Charlevoix, whatever!
2. Find the closest parks to where you want to go. If something is available...
3. Start mapping your travel times from home to your destination. Is the ride too long? If so..
4. Look for parks along the way. There's usually SOMETHING you can hit, and a lot of times it'll add more spice to the trip.
5. Book 'em

Cancelled reservations seem to go up around 12pm EST every day, and there's usually a dozen or so that free up. Just keep an eye on what's getting booked and how quickly, and act accordingly.

I'll post reviews once we're back! Let me know if y'all got any questions

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005
Awesome thread!

When you do the Higgins Lake parks, they're going to be way better if you can get your hands on a boat. It's really deep away from shore so you floor it and not need to worry about running aground. There's also the Sunken Island on the south end that's cool to go visit. It'll be a bit crowded though since it's a popular hang out.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In late May, on Memorial Day weekend we went to Sleepy Hollow State Park

This is the closest State Park to our home base in Lansing, and we didn't even get on the highway to get there. The weather was gorgeous, and we set out after work on a Friday, with two adjacent sites booked. We invited our long time camping friends, as well as my brother-in-law and his girlfriend. Our plan was to spend all day Saturday on Lake Ovid kayaking, then fit a shorter 3 mile hike in on Sunday before leaving. Long weekends are my favorite to camp on, because you either get an extra day at the site or a whole day off to unpack/recuperate. Being a half hour from home was the icing on the cake.

Upon arrival we found a trailer parked and a family sprawled out over one of our sites. We double-checked our reservation, found ourselves correct, and had to break the awkward news to the family, who at this point already had a fire started. They replied to us, saying "we'll only be here for one night," as if that were a reasonable excuse. Since we reserved two adjacent spots, having a random-rear end family stuck in the middle of our group wasn't really a reasonable option. In all my years of camping, I've never actually seen this happen. The numbers are painted in huge yellow letters at the entrance to each site! They're posted on each electrical outlet!

Either way, their kids cried a lot as they relocated one site down, the space that they actually paid for. That brought me a little joy.

Directly behind our campsites were a man who breathed only in hacking smoker’s coughs and whose dog breathed only in barks. That guy sucked and so did his dog, but by the end of the weekend we were all loudly making fun of him and laughing every time he hacked up a lung, so we’re sure he heard our distaste. Gotta make the best of lovely neighbors, right?

• Sites – We stayed in sites 58 and 60, which, although adjacent, were pretty secluded from one another. If you do plan on getting adjacent sites, 62 & 64 were prime, as they were flat and grassy without separating trees. The sites in the most of the park were all very high grade, though some had limited space for more than one tent. We came out pretty lucky with a high amount of flat ground to set up our canopies and tents. Sites along the southernmost loop (101-120) tended toward softer ground and could end up pretty swampy should you catch any rain. The southern loop itself felt more secluded per-site, as the trees were a little thicker and the sites a bit more cut into the woods than the northern loop.

All sites are modern, and there's a few ADA accessible sites with huge concrete pads. Some tended on the smaller side, so definitely check the map before making a booking. No on-site sewage or water, like at Hartwick Pines, but there were more water spouts available throughout the park than in any we've stayed in before. There are tons of places to hang hammocks, but I would tend toward the southern loop to guarantee tree coverage, as there were more than a few all-grass spots in the northern loop.

This was one of our sites that we gave to my brother-in-law, and was pretty typical of the park

Site 60, however, had a big grassy lawn with soft ground, so we had enough room to set up all our poo poo

Mrs. Lunchables Best Sites for Adjacent Camping: 168 &159, 64 & 62 (as mentioned above). 168 & 159 share adjacency back-to-back, which could offer more privacy for a group, should that be a concern.

• Facilities – The bathrooms were clean and up to date, though there was a hilariously tall urinal in the Men's of the north section. I'm 6'0" and the bottom of the urinal was at my crotch. I guess they want you to lay your dick on the porcelain or something, but I didn't get drunk enough to try it.
    Either way, the bathrooms were clean and well maintained, and the showers pushed hot water in seconds. They're centrally located for each loop, so they see a lot of traffic, but the staff here (as of 2022) did a stupendous job keeping everything looking good. The water was easily accessible from every site in the park, and it had no sulfurous stink or tang of metallic heaviness. It rates a solid B for facilities, even with the dick bath urinal.

• Amenities – God drat there’s a ton of poo poo to do here. At the center of the park is Lake Ovid, a reservoir made by damming up the Little Maple River. It’s pretty shallow across the entire lake, never hitting more than 23 feet deep in the entire thing, and it’s an enforced “no wake” lake, so it’s perfect for kayaking, canoeing, and paddleboarding. When we went, there was a huge flush of common waterweed and other underwater plants. We didn’t look, but there was probably a bunch of bladderwort, an aquatic carnivorous plant. I think that’s neat, carnivorous plants adapted for the waters. The plants are thickest between the big island and the shoreline, which makes for a delightful little kayak area, with the plants sweeping the bottom side of your boat playing a gentle white-noise “whooshing” sound as you skirt over top of them. There are shitloads of fish here from muskie to bluegill, and plenty of fishing piers should you be an angler. Panfish are abundant, and apparently they’re going to be stocking the lake with larger predatory fish should you be after a more sporting fight. No walleye though, so that’s a bummer. There are two smaller islands, the smallest of which has very shallow waters on one side, allowing you to pull a boat up and hop out into ankle deep water. Folks set up hammocks on the island and watch the fisherman lazily troll the lake while flocks of geese paddle the less-traveled areas.

On the north side of the lake, near the campground, is a large sandy beach that’s regularly groomed, replete with standing grills and picnic tables. Be aware! Tree swallows nest in the bathroom building in a significant number, and fly through the roofed area where the bathroom entrances are at alarming speed. My wife was almost hit by a bird, as was my friend.

Kayak, canoe and paddleboard rentals are available for $25/day, which we took advantage of. It’s kind of a hike to the parking lot, so even if you own your own ‘yaks, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to just rent a set for the day. Flanking the beach is a full 18 hole disc golf course. You can also borrow discs, volleyballs, footballs, and other accessories from the main office. When we went, they even had stickers! Who doesn’t like free stickers? Everyone likes free stickers.

There are rustic and modern cabins, hike-in campsites and miles upon miles of trails. There’s even a wheelchair accessible hydraulic lift hunting blind, which is a super cool feature. This area is, from our experience, pretty well traveled with horse riders, and we saw quite a few on the Sunday we walked the Island Loop. I’d love to comment on the trail system, which is extensive and separated into bike/hike and equestrian trails (with small amounts of overlap), but we spent most of our time on the lake. If the rest of the park (and the trails we did hit) were any indication, they’re well groomed and marked, and can offer short or day hikes to suit your needs. Do take heed on the shared hike/bike/equestrian trails: you will come across way too much horse poo poo. Watch the ground should you not want to be ankle deep in a fresh pile.

For the kiddos, there’s a pretty modern playground separate from the park with basketball hoops and all the standard equipment. I don’t think children would complain too much about the availability of stuff to do, though, mostly because of the beach.

• The Area – Just 30 minutes north of Lansing, Sleepy Hollow feels much further away from civilization than it really is. 10 minutes off of US 127, it’s dead easy to find and comparatively close to anything you’d need. I need to re-emphasize how much this place felt like it was miles away from anything, while still allowing you to be no more than a few minutes from one of the largest cities in Michigan.

The orange L is Lansing, home of the Michigan Historical Center and nothing else.

Laingsburg is maybe the closest town to get to from the park, and has all the basics should you need anything, from groceries to pizza to a hardware store. Standard small-town Michigan fare is on offer here, like music in the park and pancake breakfasts, but nothing that stands out as a must-see. St. Johns is to the West and is much bigger, sitting at a princely population of 8,000 compared to Laingsburg’s 1500. Apparently St. Johns is famous for its mint farming, and holds an annual St. Johns Mint Festival the second weekend of August. Lansing is a half hour to the south, and has every type of store that a city normally offers, should you need something more specific.

The maps at the park (thanks Shoreline Visitor’s Guide!) note local business in Ovid, Laingsburg and St. Johns with letters A-G, but you’ll have to visit in person to see what they are.

• Warnings – Not too much to say here, apart from some softer ground sites. I’d imagine the whole park could turn into a mud pit should you get constant rain on your trip, but we were pretty impressed by the whole thing. You can drink alcohol openly, bring your dog, and be relatively free from mosquitoes. There’s no nearby army base or airport or anything to drown out the sounds of nature, though you may occasionally see a plane fly overhead as Lansing has a regional (well, international, but still regional) airport. There was cell service with enough coverage to do basically anything you’d want on your phone, so no worries there. All in all, Sleepy Hollow didn’t fail to impress, and there’s not a lot to really put as a “warning,” here. Oh yeah, except for the swallows at the beach bathrooms. Those suckers were in full Kamikaze mode.

• Who is it best for? – This place is great for everyone. With a decent sized lake and islands to explore, it should be on the list for any weekend kayakers/canoers, and the fishing offered has been some of the best I’ve seen in mid-Michigan. The trails are no doubt less technical for mountain bikers than Fort Custer, but there are miles of em to explore. Hammock campers and hike-in folks will probably find the sites offered to be a little pedestrian, and there are no rustic sites, but this place is super accessible for weekend warriors. Living in Lansing for many years, I’d always heard good things about Sleepy Hollow, but had taken them with a large grain of salt. In my experience, most trolls are soft city kids, so their recommendations on outdoor activities should be treated with a discerning eye. This park, however, was absolutely kickass. It was more accessible than rugged, but still offered something far enough away to feel distinct from the city. The lake was large enough to explore, and the beach was well maintained and well appointed. This might even be on our list for a day trip, as it offers a place to have a decent sized group meet to drink and grill. Similarly, I don’t think there’s a best time of year to visit, though I’d tend toward the warmer months so you could make the most of the lake.

All in all, we had a hell of a time here, and we will probably go back, even if just for an afternoon. The proximity is a huge bonus for us, but beyond that there’s a real park here, replete with things to do and places to explore. We were pleasantly surprised by Sleepy Hollow, and I think you would be too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

God drat I always forget how much time goes into making one of these big dumb formatted posts. Sorry about the gap, everybody!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

God drat I always forget how much time goes into making one of these big dumb formatted posts. Sorry about the gap, everybody!

Thanks for the write up dude! I'm trying to play a camping trip with my neighbors, who are a family of 4 with two young-ish kids, and I think this might be perfect. I've been wanting to try Sleepy Hollow for some time but have kept it in my back pocket for last minute planning. Might change that soon!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Glad to hear that Sleepy Hollow was a good experience. It's been over 30 years since I lived in St. Johns, and five years since I last went up there, passing through on my way to the UP. Good cider at Uncle John's and Phillips Orchards a few miles north of town; I'd recommend them to people in the area.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a couple in the bank right now, but I’ll throw out a general recommendation for Yankee Springs if you own a boat. Great swimming and tons of sand bars, large sites to camp. Kids oughta love it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Phone postin' from Interlochen State Park where the signal is great, the facilities are brand new and vibes are laid back as gently caress

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You guys are making me so jealous.

I'll be camping in Beaver Island in the next few weeks. I can't wait.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Bonjour from the Porkies. The cabins look rad but I've never stayed in one. This one's about four miles in from the nearest trailhead, or 10 miles from lake of the clouds, at the mouth of the Big Carp river. There is no cell service in most of the park, but some backcountry campsites provide bear poles and even composting toilets!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Spime Wrangler posted:

Bonjour from the Porkies. The cabins look rad but I've never stayed in one. This one's about four miles in from the nearest trailhead, or 10 miles from lake of the clouds, at the mouth of the Big Carp river. There is no cell service in most of the park, but some backcountry campsites provide bear poles and even composting toilets!

hell yes my friend. The Porkies are such a cool spot. We are planning a week for just hiking and camping in the Porkies alone

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In the middle of June 2022, we went to Ionia State Recreation Area

Fitting the theme of 2022, we traveled down Grand River Avenue, the Route 66 of Michigan, out of Lansing and toward Ionia. I've been bothering my wife for many years to take a vacation where we just travel down Grand River, from Detroit to Grand Rapids and up to Muskegon, stopping in all the little towns that the freeway forgot. She's successfully ignored me, but I've managed to still incorporate that fever dream into our camping trips. Grand River Ave was one of the state's first Trunkline highways, and was extended outward all the way to Wyoming. You used to be able to take a car from Detroit to Muskegon, hop the ferry to Milwaukee, then drive straight to Yellowstone. But I digress...

This was our first trip alone, as our regular camping crew all had plans for the weekend. We brought kayaks with the intention of exploring Sessions Lake for most of the afternoon Saturday. We would do the relatively short foot trail (4.2 miles including our extra farting around) encircling the lake in the morning, come back to the site for lunch, then launch and explore the waters in the afternoon. Friends, the entire north half of the trail was a mowed path with no views, no elevation changes, and nothing worth talking about at all. This was luckily solved by the southern half granting some very nice twisty trails that followed creeks and ridgelines. There were huge vertical sections that peaked with a great view of the lake and its many coves and bayous. We were ready to write the entire trail off, but ended up mostly pleased with the hike itself. It wasn't technical, it wasn't challenging, and it wasn't long, but it did offer an ultimately satisfying hike in the end.

My bald head in all its glory, crossing the many bridges and riverbeds the southern part of the trail had to offer

The lake itself was very nice for kayaking, as it wasn't too large nor too small, and is no-wake. We went on a dead calm day, and the there were plenty of other yakkers and fishermen. The lake has no islands but offers a bunch of small private bays to explore, giving each section a unique feel.

Here's my dork rear end enjoying one of the private enclaves you can find all around the southern end of the lake

Following the shoreline was a huge treat, because we came upon a catfish hole with a rear skylight the size of a basketball. Inside I saw a massive tailfin, about the size of a bird's wing, slowly undulating in the water. With Mrs. Lunchables in position, I gingerly stuck my paddle through the skylight and chased the largest Flathead Catfish I've ever seen out into the open. It was easily over three feet in length and as black as the night sky. Down on the southern side I saw a carp that was even larger (!).

This picture is of the largest Flathead caught in Michigan, and you'll have to believe me when I say it was at least this big, if not more.

Lloyd Tanner with a flathead catfish weighing 53.35 pounds and measuring 48 inches. Current state record as of June 6, 2022 (DNR)

If you want to go catch this leviathan, its right off the most northwestern peninsula, right near the cabins. It's amid a lot of underwater grasses and some of the largest snail fields the eye has ever seen. I've marked its location here with an X.

It wasn't all good though. Let's detail what stinks about the park with the regular list...

• Sites – The sites were pretty unexciting and average, though many of them were decidedly small. Our site, 84, was situated on a hill that is not visible in the booking pictures. We were lucky that we didn't bring anyone else along, because we wouldn't have been able to set up even a single canopy to eat in. If you don't want your poo poo rolling down a hill, avoid sites 80-86, 99 & 100. Aside from those, most sites seemed sufficient for all types of camping. We counted a record (at the time) 16% tent camper density, and there are plenty of trees to hang hammocks in. Big note here though: those same sites on the hill, 80-86, back up onto a sewage tile field, and they are overwhelmed by the stink. In fact, avoid all sites from 69-86, because we didn't explore the sewage field to see how far back it went.

Directly behind our site.

There are rustic hike-in spots across the lake from the main campground that seemed sufficiently private, but the "hike-in" part is probably no more than 500 feet or so. A big draw for this park is undoubtedly the equestrian sites. There a whole separate campground for horses and trailers, some sites complete with corrals, all with hitching posts, and all mounted directly at the trailhead. We made it a point to walk around the equestrian camp, just to see what it was all about, and they were much nicer and better situated than the regular campground.
    All sites have power and an asphalt pad, as to be expected. There's dispersed water throughout the grounds, but holy poo poo did that stuff stink. It was heavy, sulfurous and metallic. You didn't even want to wash your hands in it, if it could be avoided. Easily the worst water we've had at a state park to date. Add in the stink of horse manure, the sewage field, and all the sulfurous water, you've got a match made in Ionia.

One upside: there are two private Modern Cabins on the west side of the lake that look absolutely amazing. They're separated from the park, are drive-up, and have their own separate beach. They're fully equipped and have all the things you'd expect, plus each cabin comes with a canoe! They're $101.00 a night, and you have to book for at least two nights, but these were one of the cooler cabin setups we've seen.

• Facilities – The bathrooms were one of the worst we've had the misfortune to use. Built and last maintained in about 1986, the facilities that served the entire campground were an absolute dump. The water stank to high heaven, half the showers didn't work, the sinks either didn't turn on or never turned off. There was an exterior facing bathroom labeled "Handicapper" that had a toilet and shower inside, and I used that one, because the toilet stalls themselves were an absolute shambles. This was an embarrassment, and I felt bad for the folks who chose Ionia as their first time camping in Michigan's parks.

As the stalls drifted apart during the last ice age, more and more fasteners were added so that you could lock the door. The gaps will never be closed, however.

• Amenities – The big draw here is Sessions Lake, which was very nice, and offered a good contrast to the campgrounds. There are fishing platforms and boat launches, a nice sandy beach at the north end, and boat rentals right next to the parking lot. The beach has a fully staffed concessions area with a nice ice cream parlor. They have Track Chairs available to make the trails and beaches more accessible, a detail that I thought was very commendable. I've mentioned the cabins, which deserve another tip of the hat. If you've got a group of friends, try to book both of them for a weekend and just go kayaking and canoeing all day, then come back to electricity and a warm shower at night. There was a very cool disc golf course through the more interesting sections of trail, with shots over rivers and marshes and from the tops of knobs down to landings below.

The trail is, as mentioned above, average at best, though the southern half does all the heavy lifting. The equestrian trails are the star of the show, though. With the trail head directly inside of the equestrian campground, and miles and miles of trail across the entire Recreation Area, this is the horse camper's must-visit. There are bike trails near the railroad tracks, and cross country skiing in the winter, but don't kid yourself: this place is made for horse people.

Playgrounds? Nope! But they got swings! Amenities in general seemed to be lacking here, and if your kids aren't kayaking with you, I'd maybe consider a different park.

• The Area – About four miles south of Ionia, and right along the Grand River, the park isn't hard to get to. It's not adjacent to the freeway, or situated directly in town, but you can pop off I-96 and get to the park in a few minutes. There's a county airport due east from the park, and the skies were constantly filled with single engine craft. It was noisy because of this, so don't expect to have the sounds of nature wake you. Ionia itself has everything you'd need, as it's a well appointed small city, so don't feel too bad if you forgot something.

Grand Rapids in salmon and Lansing in orange

• Warnings – Boy howdy did this place disappoint! The stink from three different sources, the state of bathrooms, the constant droning of aircraft, and a few miles of nondescript trail await you on your next trip to Ionia SRA! There was decent cell service, at least. If you're not here for the horse trails, then just avoid the campground and get out on the lake.

• Who is it best for? – Horse Girls. It's made for Horse Girls. We did see a high(er) amount of tent campers, so that was refreshing. The bread and butter of this whole spot is horses, though. RVs and tents were equally accommodated, but horse trailers were king. Given the relatively flat nature of the surrounding land, I doubt those mountain bike trails had too much to offer beyond a gravel pit. The Rustic Sites were definitely in the upper end for hammock campers, and you can set up overlooking the lake, offering one of the more interesting hammock camping spots. Oh yeah! the cabins were top notch, from what we saw on the water. Definitely keep this place on your list if you're looking to stay in a modern cabin.

Mrs. and Dr. Lunchables, making the best of a stinky situation

Look, if you're not here for the horse camping, I'd say you can easily avoid this one. It didn't offer much beyond that anyway. The lake was too small to justify all the downsides, unfortunately.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 20, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Spime Wrangler posted:

Also, the only state park in Michigan with a ski lift, I think. Great lake views and lots of glades. The DNR is taking over management from the long-time operator this year; the lodge had a great old-time feel but the grooming left something to be desired. They’re bringing in a downstate company to run concessions which had upset locals.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a post about Yankee Springs coming up; when I can find the time needed to write and format it.

I’ll also be doing a condensed version for Belle Isle, which we visited Labor Day weekend.

Don’t worry, Michigoons and tent campers, we’ve got poo poo lined up all throughout the winter, so keep an eye open for reviews that will probably not lend much for summer campers.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve got a post about Yankee Springs coming up; when I can find the time needed to write and format it.

I’ll also be doing a condensed version for Belle Isle, which we visited Labor Day weekend.

Don’t worry, Michigoons and tent campers, we’ve got poo poo lined up all throughout the winter, so keep an eye open for reviews that will probably not lend much for summer campers.

Craig Lake State Park. January. Do it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

Craig Lake State Park. January. Do it.

That’s the state park closest to my parents house and would probably be the easiest for winter camping, just due to the proximity of gear. We could have all the sleds and snowshoes and cross country skis and long Johns we’d ever need. We could go home for poops! What luxury…

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In the beginning of August 2022, we went to Yankee Springs State Recreation Area

Five American dollaridoos to anyone who can tell me where England's Point is

I don't know why this isn't called Gun Lake SRA, or maybe something innocuous, but somewhere out in the woods is an actual spring called Yankee Springs. Then they named a township after it, and eventually a state park. But folks don't know where the gently caress Yankee Springs is. They know where Gun Lake is.

Either way, it was slightly more than an hour drive for us, using rural highways and backroads. We only planned a stay for one night, as we didn't have very high hopes for this place. Our plan was to get out on Gun Lake on some kayaks for a while, walk around the grounds at night, then gently caress off back to Lansing in the morning. And that's exactly what we did.

There's a little public green space on the edge of the water where you can watch the sunset, sidled next to a place to launch kayaks and such

Except we didn't know how kick-rear end this little park was going to be.

Gun Lake itself was perhaps the busiest waterbody I've ever been on, with approximately 200 or more boats operating at one time. This is not an exaggeration. There were certainly more docked and moored at sandbars, of which there were plenty, but god drat I've never seen such a busy lake. We had absolutely no wind, but the amount of wake and waves generated by the boats made kayaking pretty tough. If you've got a larger boat than a kayak, bring that instead.

I don't wanna lock myself into writing the world's longest posts for these, because I dont want them to become a chore, so I'm gonna dive right in.

• Sites – The sites were surprisingly large for such a popular campground. Gravel pads for parking with just a buttload of space, so much so that a lot of folks parked their trailers and RVs parallel to the road rather than perpendicular. This picture isn't even the back of our site, but look at all the green space!

All the sites are modern, with electric outlets, but no sewage or on-site water. Sites on the leftmost spur on the map were the most wooded, offering plenty of cover from just a shitload of oak trees. Hammock campers would do well to stick to the left side, away from the shore to guarantee suitable anchor points. Sites on the right side of the map? Those have loving pull-up boat mooring spots. You literally have waterfront campsites with private docking, and they don't cost anything extra. How cool is that?

I will say that it would probably get quite soggy should it rain hard here because it's quite low and flat. The ground didn't seem to high in clay, though, and given the proximity to the lake it should drain fairly well. e: Wait! I remember! There was a big storm the day before, and our site was as dry as a bone. Hah, take that, presumptions!

• Facilities – I recall the drinking water having a bit of a heavy smell, though other campers had mentioned that the local water treatment plant had lost power a few days before, and that it normally wasn't as bad as I tasted. These have been the most modern bathrooms we've stayed in yet. I won't say too much, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

If you're thinking "these don't look that great," buddy, you haven't stayed in enough state parks

• Amenities – Aside from the aforementioned private luxury shoreline rental spots, there are standard lakeside amenities. A big ol fishing pier, a sandy swimming area, day use spots to set up picnics, and of course the lake itself. There's a bunch of sandbars right near the park, as well as some islands (Go check the first map for Yankee Springs Island. You can't miss it.). Either enterprising locals, drunk tourists, or perhaps drunk DNR staff put a bunch of picnic tables out in the water, allowing you to sit in the lake but keep the tabletop dry. Pretty cool little spot to grab lunch or take a breather.

There's a shitload of trails of all types, from hooves to wheels across the rec area, and there are 9 smaller ponds[1] (that someone mislabeled as "lakes") to go explore and fish. Hell, the North Country Trail comes through here. You can walk all the way to Craig Lake State Park from here!
    I wish we had a chance to explore the grounds more, cause it seems like a decent area with lots of hills and twisty little roads, but alas, we were only there for one day.

• The Area – Eastward from 131, the SRA sits about halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. There's no freeways nearby, but the local highways are easy to navigate. There's a little gas station that has a Hungry Howies in it, should all of your food float away during your lunch on a submerged picnic table. There's also the worst Mexican food I've ever had just outside of the park entrance, at Gun Lake Cocina. Neat!

There's really not much near the park itself though, so you're left out to dry if you forgot anything but the basics. Of course, you're not too far away from Michigan's second largest city, but that's like a 40 minute drive. You drove 40 minutes to get here and pretend you were out in the woods!

I'm beginning to hate my hand-marked little maps, but this shows the relation to Lansing and Grand Rapids better than the fancy one below

Boy, it sure is fancy though

• Warnings – We had cell service enough to stream music, and probably more should you need it. The park is dog-friendly, though we didn't see any dog beaches, so you might have to torture your pup by making them watch you have fun instead. There isn't too much to put here, cause it was all very decent at a minimum.

• Who is it best for? – Come camp here if you have a boat. This place is a boater's paradise. There's a million places to explore, a bunch of islands to hoot around, tons of sandbars to park at, and enough DNR officers to guarantee your first ever DUI on the water. But even the unenboated can enjoy this place. There's horse trails (though no dedicated equestrian camping), bike trails, fishing piers, hunting land, hiking trails, hammock trees, bad Mexican food, you name it. This place was also tied for our highest density of tent campers at 16%, though given the size of the lots, you could easily fit about four tents per space. This spot seems very oriented toward summer activity, which shouldn't be surprising given the lake frontage. It's also not a dedicated mosquito habitat™.

Who's it bad for? I guess disc golfers can go piss up a rope. Take that, disc golfers.

There's even a section of little bayous and summer houses to explore. A perfect place to buy a $500,000 1950s trailer on 1/12th of an acre

Yankee Springs: hot drat, put it on your list.

[1] - Anything less than one Pipe across is not a lake. What is a Pipe? It is the distance a Voyageur, or French Canadian fur trapper, could travel in a canoe before stopping to refill and smoke his pipe. If it's less than one Pipe across, it is, by the rules so written, a pond. Not a lake.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 20, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yankee Springs: hot drat, put it on your list.

Ooh, almost forgot! Next to the host campers’ site there was a little signboard and tent. The signboard had all kinds of useful information with maps of the park, and the tent housed a little library with adult and kids books. This was probably the coolest host addition we’ve seen so far.

Mammal Scat!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread! we got the bug and went up to Sleeper last week and are thinking of going back out again this weekend. we're tent campers too so the viewpoint is definitely super appreciated.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bard Maddox posted:

wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread! we got the bug and went up to Sleeper last week and are thinking of going back out again this weekend. we're tent campers too so the viewpoint is definitely super appreciated.

Hey, thanks Michigoon! I know this is a niche thread, cause Michigan only, but it’s nice to hear that people actually read it.

Soon I’m gonna do a brief write up of Bell Isle, cause we went down on Labor Day weekend. It rained before I got to ride the giant slide. :negative:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

On the Sunday before Labor Day, we visited Belle Isle State Park

Since we couldn't camp, I'm not gonna do a full writeup with all the bullet points. But! I will tell you that Belle Isle kicks rear end, and I'm really glad the State stepped in to take care of maintenance from the City of Detroit, for reasons I will detail below.

So! We went down early in the morning with the intention of doing as much of Belle Isle as we could, then trying to hit Dodge #4 on the way back. We didn't make Dodge #4, but we did explore every inch of this seven mile long island. The whole island has a big beltloop one way road, so you can drive around the whole thing and get a feel for it, but you really need to park and get out of the car to see some of the neat stuff. There's islands on the lakes on the island! To accomplish this, we rented bikes from some local vendor.

We biked most of the morning, starting down by the fountain and exploring all of the inland roads, looping around the north side by the Detroit Yacht Club and a pretty decent beach. Because it was a holiday weekend the place was packed with family reunions. Some folks had what looked to be at least 300 people, with generators and big sound systems and everything. What really filled my heart with joy was watching everybody go fishing though. There's something life affirming seeing folks from all walks of life just stand on the shore and BS with each other, throwing lures in the water and telling jokes.

There I go, coasting fatly onward

We stopped on the shoreline and took pictures of the big ol ships that were surprisingly close.

The Michigan thread regulars bullied me into riding the Giant Slide. If you've never heard, let the following illuminate you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viy2oQp-bkY
https://www.instagram.com/p/ChfSiTDFGRI/

Unfortunately, it started to rain by the time we returned the bikes and the Giant Slide was closed. I guess I have to go back and ride it some time in the future.

So with the rain coming down, we headed into the Aquarium, which is something everyone else also decided to do.

But look at the beautiful tile work!

And this little puffer fish's stupid teeth!

The real king of the island is the Conservatory though. It's set up like a bunch of different biomes in greenhouses, and it was absolutely amazing.

Nanners!

Big cacti!

Bird of Paradise Plants!

Weird goat fountain!

We tried to go to the Casino, but it turns out that's just the name of the building. The zoo has also been closed for years and has a distinctly abandoned feel. There's a ton of history here, and the Maritime Museum was worth the $5 suggested donation just to go walk around and gawk at. There's plenty to do here, so plan on spending at least an afternoon, cause you're gonna wanna hike the trails or go swimming or rent a kayak or grab food from a food truck.

If you've never been, go check it out. If you live nearby, plan on spending some time down there. You can wave to Canada, and sometimes they wave back!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In late September, 2022, we travelled to Metamora-Hadley State Recreation Area

This was another one of the big State Rec Areas with multiple campgrounds centered around a lake. If I were to bet, I'd put money on a lot of the parks we visited this year being inaugurated around the same time, as they all feature similar styles and designs. Codifying public hunting and fishing land seemed to be the biggest concern, and while the campgrounds are certainly not an afterthought, they don't seem to be the driving force in why the areas were enshrined as a public commodity. The SRAs are fairly well spread out, though they tend to butt against the edges of the more populated parts of the state, and they seem to always have a water feature as a central focus, which although it isn't surprising (Michigan, after all) isn't a hard and fast rule for other State Parks. For some reason they're rarely named after the lake the park is built around.

Neither Lake Metamora, nor Lake Hadley, but instead Lake Minnewanna

Since we were going in late September, I got super excited to go do some bird hunting! In the UP we call em partridge, but they're officially known as Ruffed Grouse. There's also woodcock and pheasant and sharptailed grouse and other upland game like rabbits. Mostly its about partridge for me and mine though. The season runs from September 15, the second most important holiday in the Yooper calendar, to November 14, aka Opening Day Eve. Since rifle season begins on November 15 (whitetail deer for the uninitiated), you get two and a half straight months of hunting. The end of Bird Season officially marks the beginning of what I call the Season of Eating, starting with Deer Season and ending somewhere around January 5th. I won't get lost in the details, but at a Yooper deer camp, we eat and drink like debauched kings, a sheer Bacchanalia of sweets and treats and hearty meals and steaming stews and ice cold beers and flaming shots and jokes and stories and blurry eyed laughter. Bird Season is just the harbinger. A portent of the good times to come in the Season of Eating.

Look at this tasty chicken.
Image courtesy of Ruffed Grouse Society | American Woodcock Society

I figured there would be a CO around (DNR Conservation Officer) considering this was one of the larger rec areas near one of the more populous chunks of the state, but I basically had to go pound on every door of every office on the grounds before some squeaky voiced teen could tell me where I could and couldn't hunt. See, all the trails have big dumb signs that say "Portions of the Trail Open to Hunting," but none of them say where that is. Since I didn't want to scare the flatlanders, I figured I should avoid just having a happy walk down the trail holding a shotgun. Anyway, after embarrassing the kid about his lack of knowledge on where the good spots are, he managed to get a printed copy of the grounds outlining the place you couldn't hunt.

With that knowledge, we had our Saturday planned. It was kind of a cold weekend at the end of a warm month. Provided it didn't rain, we should still be able to get some good hunting in as well as the requisite hike that comes with hunting. It's one of the most beautiful times of the year for a hike in the woods in Michigan, and even if you don't see a bird you had a nice walk. Provided it didn't rain.

It rained all Saturday morning.

We didn't see a bird, but that's ok. The leaf cover was heavy enough that we didn't get soaked, but partridge tend to bed down in the thick underbrush during the cold and the wet. Oh well, no harm no fowl. pun!

We had planned ahead and brought our G Stove, a tent woodstove to keep ourselves warm and dry. We fed it with hardwood bundles we purchased at the camp store and scrap pieces from the flooring mill back home, nice pieces of snap-together maple that burn clean and hot. Maybe too hot.

We actually sweat a lot that night, despite the 50 degree temps outside.

But enough blathering, let's get to the brass tacks here.

• Sites – The campgrounds are split into two areas, North and South. South is much bigger but the spaces are much more uneven, with dips and soft hills basically loving up quite a few sites. It seems like the North campground was built first, and is in a much better location both in regards to its situation on the lake as well as the quality of the sites. They're all unpaved spaces but are all suitably modern, with standard power outlets and shared potable water sources. There's plenty of green spaces for tents, and the sites themselves are quite large (caveat - check park map for relative size listings). Hammock attachment trees are best found on the outer circles, as tree coverage in the middle is fair but not guaranteed. The soil is very sandy, though quite hard-packed, so bring a hammer or hatchet to pound in your tent stakes. We stayed in site 167, which was, from what we could tell, the absolute best site in the park.

Because about 1/3 of the campground sits directly on the lake, these are the spaces you're gonna wanna try to book. There was a large public "no camping" lot next to our site, and after that the bathrooms, so we had a lot of folks noticing that our tent had a chimney with wood smoke pouring out of it. In fact, three separate couples came up to talk to us on Sunday about our setup, mostly with the wives broaching the topic, then the husbands getting child-like excited after being told it was in fact a wood stove, not a heater, and of course that they could look inside the tent.

What it looks like when we open up the inner tent to sit out the rain, playing cribbage.

• Facilities – The bathrooms were very middle of the road, a good 6/10 kind of place. They were well maintained and nothing was broken or hosed up, but they weren't super new or super nice. They existed and you could poop in em, but nothing that would make them stand out, either good or bad. The type of bathrooms you'd be happy to see at a freeway rest stop, and would be excited to find at a sporting event. Soap, toilet paper, paper towels, and weekly agendas from the campground hosts were freshly stocked. Other areas of the park shared chemical vault toilets, which we didn't see, but given the state of the main bathrooms I'd imagine they were absolutely fine.

The drinking water was unfortunately heavy. As this had been a running theme, Mrs. Lunchables and I promised ourselves that we would always be filling our water cannister and nalgenes and such at home from now on, as we've been burned by heavy water too many times in the recent past. It wasn't sulfurous, but it was very iron-tangy and metallic. Tasted like a lot of water from the Iron Range back home, to be honest. It made fine coffee and it didn't stink, so it clearly wasn't the worst, but it was the major weak point in the facilities.

• Amenities – This was one of the more rural and rustic of the State Rec Areas, but it still had two cabins, the first of which was on a nice secluded semi-peninsula that boasted its own front deck. The grounds also had a full mini store, selling groceries, snacks, propane tanks, firewood, t shirts, and fresh scooped ice cream. It was really pretty neat to see, given that there wasn't much for stores in the area surrounding the park. The firewood piles even had a little cart for bringing your bundles back to your vehicle, which was a very nice touch. It was clear that the people that worked here (and the host campers, who I will talk about in a minute) cared very much about this park and wanted to highlight every feature, making the stay as pleasant as possible.

The host campers posted events every weekend evening, with Karaoke, stand-up comedy, magic shows, and other live events for the campers and their kids. They have access to an Events Barn, and apparently one half of the host couple thinks himself quite the entertainer, given the aforementioned comedy and magic shows. More power to him, and thank goodness they're offering such a thing for when the weather turns foul. There isn't much for playgrounds or kids' activities, but simple stuff like hand-scooped ice cream and a magic show can certainly change the tone of an entire camping trip for kids. The blackboard sign on the road into the campground titled him as "the Magic Man," but Mrs. Lunchables misread it and assured me he was actually "the Magic Ham." The secret to a happy, successful marriage is knowing when to let someone be firmly, embarrassingly wrong.

There's a bunch of fishing available on the lake, and kayak rentals as well. Minnewanna seemed like the perfect space to do a rental, as it's big enough to spend a few hours paddling around, but not big enough to justify brining your own yaks. A nice sandy beach offers swimming near the kayak launch, and there's separate parking near the beach area. There are also miles of trails, some of which you can hunt on! They were actually decent trails, with a few good changes in elevation and views, and would be something I'd consider re-visiting at a different time of year, since the whole landscape will change depending on leaf cover.

• The Area – Located between both the town(ships) of Metamora and Hadley (duh), the SRA isn't really near anything. You travel a lot of back highways between farmlands, and there's no straight shot to anywhere, which can be either a plus or a minus, depending on what way you wanna look at it. The village of Hadley has two functioning general stores on the main drag, located right next door to each other. There was also a pizza place/bar, should you wanna go out and grab a pie. There was no creepy Children of the Corn vibes out here, which was nice. Just seemed like another small town farming community, a place on the way to another place, somewhere that you'd explain via its proximity to Flint should you bring it up. The park, coincidentally, is only a half hour drive from Flint, so it's accessible enough for the Big City Folk™ to swing by without issue.

The Purple F is Flint

• Warnings – It's dog friendly and a good place to bring em should you wanna go camping with the pooch. The trails are short enough for good dog walks, and there water for them to play in. There's no alcohol allowed in the day use areas April 1 - Labor Day, kind of emphasizing how family friendly this place is. I don't really see a reason for it here, though. There's no high-speed technical bike tracks, no large lake to drown in, no extreme hikes for drunks to take on and get lost in the woods. Just alcohol free for the summer. There was a fair amount of DNR presence, so keep that in mind should you want a beer with dinner. That said, its a perfectly reasonable place to camp outside of those dates as well. The area only becomes more beautiful as fall progresses, so don't be afraid to visit after Labor Day.

Despite not being by like... anything, there was solid cell service, with enough coverage to stream a movie should you wanna. There's no freeways or airports or military bases or like firing ranges right next door, so nothing to worry about concerning noise. I could see this place being a little bit of a mosquito concern during the summer, as there are both swamps and seasonal wetlands within the park borders, but I can't say with any certainty as we went well outside of mosquito season. Ticks are almost certainly a problem in the springtime, so plan your hikes and bring long socks accordingly. Those are general caveats, of course, with any Michigan camping.

• Who is it best for? – Probably folks with small trailers and young-ish kids. The lake is juuuust big enough to explore without being intimidating, and the trails are, as noted above, long enough to be interesting without being exhausting. Teenagers would be bored out of their skulls if they're not hunters or fisherthem/fishpersons[1]. Tent campers fit in fine, as do hammock campers, but large mobile-palace RVs would probably just have a hard time maneuvering in their spot. If you are large RV camping, definitely stick to the North campground and sites 170-213. There are no biking trails, no horse trails, no disc golf courses, or other edge-case things, but it's a decent park for getting outside and just having fun with that. The hunting, despite my experience, seems to be pretty good given the number of shell casings we found in the woods. (Side note, please pick up your shell casings when hunting. Thanks!)

This is written with a fair amount of bias, but I think we went at the best time of year. Early fall means you can have a beer at the fire, and the leaves changing across the lake make the trails more intriguing. I can't imagine it's bad during the spring or summer, but why not try to bag a bird or two and make stew for dinner as the crisp autumn air sweetens the smell of leaves? Why not, ya jerk?

Metamora-Hadley is punching above its weight class, and it does so via the dedication of its workers and the visitors. It's certainly worth a visit if you're there to get rustic, despite all the sites being modern. This place really shows how much of a difference regular Michigan folks can make on a campground, and how much that matters to a little rural lake out in the woods. I liked it.

[1] - There's not a great gender-neutral term for Fishermen, so i think Fisherthem is the best option.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 20, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If my calculations are correct, we might only have one more update for the calendar year of 2022, bringing the current total up as follows:

• 2022 Total - 6 camping, one non (Belle Isle)
  • Pre-2022 - 4 camping
  • Total as of Now - 11 total visited, 90 left to go

Stay tuned for the final 2022 update and the eventual coming of Page 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In late October 2022 we went to Rifle River State Recreation Area

This was our first rustic campground of the year, and our best test of our winter camping gear. We left after work and showed up in pitch blackness, a million miles (well, 60) from the freeway. We set up our tent with the headlights from the Jeep and put the stove up ASAP. Michigan had a weird weather snap for a while there, with days ping-ponging between 40 and 70, so we wanted to make sure we'd be warm if Saturday just decided to say "gently caress you" weather-wise. With our winter camping gear, we packed much lighter, eschewing all the fold up tables and canopies, the grills and the frills and all that. Just a tent, a water jug, our chairs and sleeping gear, and some food and booze. Our plan was to get out and hike! I didn't bring the shotgun, so no bird hunting unfortunately, but we didn't see anything anyway, so no loss. (Note that one of the lakes is named "Grousehaven," and the land is just set up to be perfect for bird hunting, so it might be worth taking your shotgun.)

Rifle River has four separate campgrounds, three rustic and one modern, with 180 total sites spread across the entire park. We were in Devoe campground sandwiched between Devoe and Jewett Lakes. Our little loop wasn't busy or full, but there were a handful of college kids a few sites down sleeping in hammocks and drinking until the wee hours of the morning. Gotta respect the kids willing to get out and freeze their hairless bums off in October, right? Any tent campers we see get my instant respect, naturally, but moreso if they do it in the cold.

Regarding Rustic campgrounds, they are all without electricity and usually have chemical toilets without powered facilities. It doesn't change much for us camping or packing-wise, because we rarely use the electricity at the modern sites we stay at. We ran a risk of poor quality poop-houses by coming so late in the season, but I'm pleased to report that they had been cleaned and pumped out recently, so nothing to complain about there. If you've never been camping in the Rusties, you owe it to yourself to try it some time. Don't bring a generator or all kinds of extra garbage, just go out and sleep in the woods like you're supposed to.

On Saturday we did a little drive around the state park, something we don't normally do (usually we just go straight to hiking), but I'm glad we took the trip. Ridge Road takes a long meandering route on top of the ridgelines (duh) between Lodge Lake and Grebe[1] Lake, a wonderful drive that really shows off the landscape. It also brought us to a lookout tower where we could see for quite a ways. Definitely worth checking out if you're going through.

The view is amazing. Doubly so during fall colors.

On our way in, on Friday, we passed what seemed to be a kind of fever dream: there was a Tiki Bar in West Branch. A Tiki Bar. In West Branch. Big lit up palm trees and neon lights, blazing warm friendly colors on the side of the road. We made a solemn vow that we would go back there for dinner on Saturday. After a 6 mile hike through what was labeled "Most Difficult" trails, we hopped our rear end in the car and drove off to visit the beach paradise known as Coco Cabanas, nestled between farm fields, far from a beach or any water of any kind whatsoever.
Hot drat, this place rocked. I'm a sucker for tiki drinks, and they had everything from Shark Attacks to Hurricanes. They were cheap as hell too, with only the 40 oz Fishbowl priced above $10. We got dinner there, which, like the drinks, was good, cheap and surprisingly adventurous. We got a chicken bacon ranch pizza, but they've got all kindsa poo poo on their menu that you wouldn't expect to see at a... well, a Tiki Bar in West Branch. If you're driving through, you might as well stop, cause there's nothing else around for quite a few miles anyway.

FUN!!

Anyway, let's get down to business. to defeat the Huns!

• Sites – We stayed in Site 99 in the Devoe campground, and god drat was our spot huge. All the sites are positioned fairly far apart, so even if you have immediate neighbors there's a good chunk of land between you. Ours was flat and wide, sitting on packed sandy soil with plenty of tree cover between us and 98, but a big open area between us and 100. Luckily we didn't have neighbors on that side, but it would be a great spot if you've got a decent sized group going. We didn't make it through every campground, but I didn't see a spot that was without good hammock trees, for what it's worth. Jewett Lake literally butts up to the sites in Devoe, so if you're looking for an easy canoe or kayak launch, those would be the prime sites.

We did a cursory drive around the modern campground, and while it was small and less wooded, it seemed nice enough. There's two loops at different elevations sitting smack on the shore of Grousehaven Lake. They were certainly smaller than the Rustics, but I doubt you'd have much to complain about unless you drove an absolutely massive RV.

This doesn't even show our whole site, though it does show our cozy little living situation

• Facilities – Unfortunately for all the folks that read these for bathroom updates, we didn't even go inside the modern facilities. The vault toilet was very well appointed with plenty of TP and sanitizer, and appear to be cleaned relatively frequently. Some of the folks in our loop even left glade bathroom spray in there to make the stay more pleasant.

Water is provided for each loop via a hand pump, which is always loud. Very very loud. Fill your water during business hours to avoid pissing off your neighbors. This is also another regular feature we missed out on, as we brought water from home, so I didn't get a chance to see if it was hard or soft or stinky or anything. Sorry, everyone.

• Amenities – You're probably coming here because you're doing outdoorsy stuff, given the number of lakes and rivers and trails spread across the SRA. There are marked kayak launches right off the roadways, which is a nice touch.

We hiked from marker 9 through to marker 4, doing the loop in the northeast. There were all kinds of things to look at, as the trails followed ridgelines, shorelines, and cut between lakes and over knobs.
    The difficulties marked on the map aren't exactly realistic, though. The area between 8 and 7 was far more technical than the loop off of 4.

We also saw a big ol common snapping turtle just lumping its way up the path!

Just look at this big bastard.

It should be noted, though, that the trail markers are just kinda poo poo. Trailheads aren't clear, intersections aren't marked at all sometimes, and even positioning on the trails can be vague at times. Give yourself extra time to explore should you go hiking here (and you should!) because you might get a little lost following the posted markers.

Beyond the lakes and trails and wildlife and scenic views and kayak launches and hunting grounds and cabins, there's not much for amenities. This whole area is really set up to enjoy the outdoors, so there's not much for sports fields or sprawling playgrounds. The modern camp has swingsets and the like, but kids are just gonna have to suck it up and enjoy the great outdoors. We even checked out a few of the cabins, which sit on secluded promontories overlooking private bays on the lakes. Disappointing, right? Just nothing going on out there.

Just look at this. Nothing fun to do for miles and miles.

• The Area – Boy, this one isn't really by much at all. Rose City is a few miles away, and is big enough to have a McDonalds, for what it's worth. There's a gas station situated directly at the park's entrance that also serves a private campground behind it. They've got all the basics, including firewood and beer, should you need em. The Park itself doesn't sell firewood, and the main office wasn't manned when we arrived, but that may be season-dependent.

I'll tell you what you should do though, and that is to hop in the car and head down M-33. Keep going until you see the palm trees. Grab dinner and a few drinks at Coco Cabanas. It was honestly an impressive little place, and you'd be a sucker to pass on the experience.

• Warnings – I could see mosquitos being a problem during the height of the season, just given the amount of water in the Rec Area. We went at an absolutely gorgeous time of year, so we didn't have to worry about them, but bring your DEET if you're visiting during the summer. The whole setup is dog-friendly as heck, and you can freely drink alcohol wherever your heart fancies. There was even very decent cell service for how remote it was, as we sat at two bars basically the entire weekend, including the hike.

However, if you're not into rustic camping, or if you're not trying to get on the water or go hiking, this might not be the best park for you. It's rough around the edges, what with the hand-pumped wells and the chemical toilets, so folks with delicate dispositions about those things might want to consider it heavily. That said, there's nothing to explicitly warn about, because Rifle River doesn't say it's anything except for rugged, gorgeous nature. Get outside, look at the stars, listen to the quiet of the woods. As Eminem once said, "This'll help you get in touch with your roots, we'll get barefoot, butt naked and run in the woods."

• Who is it best for? – This is a tent camper's paradise, and is especially suited for groups of friends, given the size of the sites. Hunters, fisherthem, kayakers and canoeists will find all the territory perfect for their aims. This would also be a great place to go mountain biking, just for the trails and the travel. It's not set up for technical switchbacks or anything like that, but the hills and the views oughta be enough to justify going for the ride. There are no posted equestrian trails on site, but it might be worth calling the DNR and seeing if you could take your behooved beast out with you anyway. Given the number of lakes and the rivers, though, this is most certainly a place to get on the water, and somewhere you should definitely bring your kayaks and canoes.

The park is open year-round, and given we went during a very beautiful time, that's when I would recommend. Get there before all the leaves are down to see some gorgeous colors across the lakes. Winter-wise, ice fishing would be amazing out here, just due to the options for spots and the different species of fish in each lake (check the SRA map at the beginning of the post to see which ones are where). Since you're going here to get outside, though, I don't think there would be a bad time of year to visit. It's gorgeous country, and probably deserves to be seen across the seasons.

Rifle River State Recreation Area: Put this one high on your list if you're anything close to outdoorsy.

Seriously, wtf is a tiki bar doing in West Branch

[1] - A Grebe is a relative of the Loon. Grebes, like Loons, have their feet positioned very far back on their body, leading to their scientific name, "the Arsefoot." No, I'm not making that up. Loons can barely walk on land, and basically scoot when they do, so they make their nests very close to shore. Grebes just look goofy and lean super far backward.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 20, 2022