Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What an excellent thread.

Here's an old favourite. I got a copy of Dinotopia when I was five, and have spent the following... hmmm... three decades drawing Maps Of Places That Do Not Exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I made this one yesterday- it's a fun way of coming up with genuinely interesting coastlines for your next Generi Fantasy World(TM). Any guesses?
It's a topological map of the moon, with the sea level set to the 2km datum, and earth-like climate zones. (And upside down from the POV of you northern hemisphere people, I guess.)
Completely impossible of course, but it looks great. You've got hell deserts, beautiful archipelagos, huge rivers, multiple mini-Mediterraneans, strategic straits & passes galore....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

twistedmentat posted:

I want to play Civ on that map.

My first thought too. I'll have to bash it together in World Builder.

Vernii posted:

Very nice, what does the other hemisphere look like? It's always a fun mental exercise to consider what political borders will result from geography, major trade routes and conflict zones, etc.

Yeah, as soon as I finished it I started scribbling borders and cities and trade routes on it. Really fun.
I haven't drawn up the other side yet, but the elevation maps I've seen have about 2/3 of the surface divided between northern highlands and southern lowlands with a nice sharp boundary between the two; the other third is a very messy mass of overlapping craters that would produce either hell mountains or lush archipelagos depending on where one sets the sea level.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

grassy gnoll posted:

Age of Sigmar has good maps now. First edition was awful for a lot of reasons, including these Zyborne Clock rejects.

Ahhh, someone got paid to draw that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Geez, Flash. One crash landing on Mongo is understandable. Two just looks careless.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

There must be something really terrifying over the old Canadian border that Panem wants nothing to do with.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I have questions about the Melbourne-Sydney conurb. There's some mountains in the way of that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Razor Jacksuit posted:

And yet I still instantly recognized Dinotopia!

Childhood dinotopia map use leads to an adulthood of posting ITT