Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm so sick of these atmoran s'wits coming over here, colonizing our continents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's enormous rectangular Britain attached to enormous rectangular Ireland. The Ireland bit is turned upside-down. Essos is just a long rear end rectangle land. There is also mysterious Sothryos which is mercifully not depicted in full but it's most likely a rectangle and very racist.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 6, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lmao, a hexagon map, that looks so fake

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd argue that making major rivers borders tends to be pretty artificial. Like, France's eastern border being pushed to the Rhine was a policy of the french state, with the traditional latin-german culture border being more like the Vosges mountains in western Alsace. Before that it was Rome that used the Danube and Rhine. Rivers "organically" tend to facilitate rather than hinder interaction. It takes a modern state to declare one a border.

So it kinda makes sense for fantasy maps to use rivers since modern medieval fantasies usually have extremely modern states cosplaying medieval.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not-earth but a blob. Look at the locations of places like Khitai, Zimbabwei, Nordheim, Pictland, the Eastern and Iranistani deserts...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish more people cribbed that bit off Tolkien. There's nothing wrong with making a satellite-style map of Elflandia for the reader's benefit- but in-universe maps are really fun. A real-world example that looks garbage to the modern reader but made perfect sense is roman road maps. They look like subway maps, because what matters is which roads you need to take your cart on to get from Rome to wherever, not where the place is in relationship to Rome. Spain isn't a rectangle ya dumb romans! "Yeah don't care, just want to sell my crap in Tarraconensis"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will never not be a fan of the Rain of Corpses raining directly out of the Death Lands. Very much so stupid it loops back around to cool. Good map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm a big fan of peoples' attempts to stich the entire pokémon world into a single coherent map

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

YaketySass posted:

Aren't Pokémon regions pretty transparently equivalent to real world ones?

That's what makes pokémaps so cute to me. Especially when they include the spinoff game and anime filler arc regions. Why is Kanto larger than Spain and further from Kyushu than from Britain and MegaNewYork? Why is it possible to walk all the way from Kyoto to Paris? Why is Paris the literal City of Lights full of fashion models instead of a stinking poo poo pile? What happens in three years when there's a new adventure in pokéMexico? Where is pokéSouth America? Who cares, some intrepid soul is making a map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Superman lives in Delaware?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lookin at ye olde Night Vale fanart maps and I love how much they (mostly) match up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the boy wizard who shall not be named podcast being on Hunger Games has me looking at maps of that universe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tree Bucket posted:

There must be something really terrifying over the old Canadian border that Panem wants nothing to do with.

i like to think it's regular Canada just keeping on, sort of gazing at the horrible dystopian teen murder to the south like "this place really turned to poo poo, maybe stop the child murder games''

or alternatively maybe it's terrifying moose/bear hybrids who have overrun everything from Tadoussac to Victoria and Panem's peaceful mutant creatures are actually the good side of the post-apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They are also pretty sweet if you need to throw a dark lord of the sith down something, and they can power a whole city. Shafts rule!