Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
How about wizards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
wizards are superior to warlocks and sorcerers, in my humble opinion. way cooler outfits

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Stupid rear end Harry Potter has completely ruined the concept of wizards. However, I will still continue to put a Bugle on my cat’s head and say “You’re a wizard, ‘arry.”

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Harry Potter makes it seem like you have to be born a wizard but anybody can be a wizard if they put in the work, I prefer that

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

W
I
Z
A
R
D

M
A
S
T
E
R

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What is the moment when we find out magic isn't real? Does anyone recall? I remember being very young and wanting to find a genie so that I didn't have to die. I knew the concept of death, of ceasing to exist, before I gave up on genies and magic and such. That's quite strange to my adult self now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Szyznyk posted:

Stupid rear end Harry Potter has completely ruined the concept of wizards. However, I will still continue to put a Bugle on my cat’s head and say “You’re a wizard, ‘arry.”

The Harry Potter thing really bugged me because I was a weird nerd child who read all of Terry Pratchett's stuff and I knew how good books about A Magical School could be.
Yes, of course I was exceedingly popular with nerd and non-nerd alike,

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

The Harry Potter thing really bugged me because I was a weird nerd child who read all of Terry Pratchett's stuff and I knew how good books about A Magical School could be.
Yes, of course I was exceedingly popular with nerd and non-nerd alike,

Just reading the description of his books I’d probably be an incompetent and cynical wizard.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bismuth posted:

Harry Potter makes it seem like you have to be born a wizard but anybody can be a wizard if they put in the work, I prefer that

Britain: Wizard Aristocracy.

America: Wizard Meritocracy. Nah, lying to myself. Wizard Oligarchy where you buy your powers.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Australian wizards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nClYDL7jgj0

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/interview-with-dragonmaster/

I remember the recording of this being funny as hell.

Oh God this was literally 20 motherfucking years ago. We are so old. Zack Geist Editor Parsons must be dust by now.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Gandalf is the one who really started that. He really defined the modern wizard, complete with how you have to be born magic from the start.

But agreed. Never sat right with me. He goes around calling himself a "learned lore-master" but the reason he has magic is because he's basically an angel. IMO, it's not even a good Odin parallel. Odin wasn't a wizard because he was a God. He was a God who also learned magic. He had to go well out of his way to learn magic. He had to sacrifice stuff for it and even got made fun of by other gods.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
If I want to be fair, I do have to admit that Merlin, in many versions, was half-demon (or sometimes half-fae) and that's what gave him his magic, too. So there's precedent, even before Gandalf. But Wizard's supposed to mean 'wise', so, imo, they really should have to study.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

W
I
Z
A
R
D

M
A
S
T
E
R

Wizard Master

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Death Is Certain

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sorcerers are born with magic because their ancestors hosed around, wizards have to learn it because they are nerds.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wizard pubes smell pretty ok.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wizard pubes smell pretty ok.

*casts scent of Febreze onto my groin*

*testicles explode*

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok if you removed their robes and hats and staves and poo poo wizards just look like one of those 80 year old dudes who still does marathons.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wizards are unholy abominations and should sit in their towers and think about what they've done

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

it'd be p cool to wear a cape all the time

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ruby Gloom posted:

it'd be p cool to wear a cape all the time

fuckin ay right it would

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Capes/cloaks own and look cool as hell. Never understood why they went out of fashion.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wizards are overrepresented in heavy metal but underrepresented everywhere else. Curious. :thunk:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Specialization in the urinary magical arts. Whizzard

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That latest Harry Potter movie was so hilariously bad. The big evil wizard, Grindelwald, who was raising an army to take over the world decided to run in the wizard elections for wizard president. He convinced all of the wizards of the world to vote for him and he won in a landslide. Then a magical deer came along, and this deer is the Democracy Deer, it sniffs the politicians and kneels before only the most pure of heart.

The deer is let loose in front of the candidates: Grindelwald and two other candidates who have had zero lines of dialogue up to this point. The Democracy Deer doesn't kneel before Grindelwald, despite the fact that he just won the election, it kneels before Dumbledore who is also there.

All of of the wizards see this, and they demand an immediate re-election upon which one of the other candidates wins and becomes wizard president.

Thus Grindelwald is defeated and the film series is concluded.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Remember when people tried to make saying poo poo like "that's so wizard" a thing?

I wanted to die then, like now, the reasons just changed.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He was right to fear the muggles tbh

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wizards are overrepresented in heavy metal but underrepresented everywhere else. Curious. :thunk:

what about prog, they have whole wizard albums

also demons and wizards by uriah heep (is that prog?)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Specialization in the urinary magical arts. Whizzard

*casts piss on face.*

*Testicles explode*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are druids a type of wizard? See exhibit a, the pot smoking nature wizard from award winning Hobbit movie trilogy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wizard

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

An effective way to dissuade people from calling you a neckbeard is to fire magic missiles at their head

Also,

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/wizard-neighborhood-association/1/

quote:

It took me nearly fifteen minutes of arguing with low level skeleton soldiers before I was able to get an audience with a gentleman who identified himself as "Bone Master Ur'Q." He apologized for the disorganization and had his minions move the catapult out of the way of my driveway. I thanked him for taking care of the situation but told him this was not the place for a siege. He agreed to review a copy of our neighborhood charter and fax it to his dark master to avoid future problems. I believe Mr. Ur'Q was sincere and I place the blame for this incident squarely on Mr. Stormbeard.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 4, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are druids a type of wizard? See exhibit a, the pot smoking nature wizard from award winning Hobbit movie trilogy

It's like an impossible burger situation

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
Can you even BE a wizard if you're not muttering about the runes and warning about the signs?

Harry Potter universe wizards are NOT wizards. They are overclocked magicians.

True wizards wouldn't be caught dead leaving their hermitages, and everyone knows wizards socialize by casting ruinous magic at each other over some bullshit drama that happened 500 YEARS AGO THROBINOR NOW LET ME OUT OF THIS loving COMPUTER!!!!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Mages were the best class in world of warcraft because they could materialise food and water for other players, slightly alleviating the tedium of playing world of warcraft.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The Indian in the Cupboard?

The first half to be precise, which is what the movie sort of covers

The second half of the novel is this amazing metaphorical and colorful fever dream as Bastian puts the world back together

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Computers - what have they done for us lately, and is it time to dismantle these silicone good for nothings?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whizzard