Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If Kyrie goes to Los Angeles, I would be very interested on what the Vegas Moneyline is on "Kyrie joins the church of Scientology" vs "He doesn't" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Scientology is to openly structured for someone who pretends to be a free spirit

I think it would hinge on how much he initially buys their sales pitch. He's gullible enough that I can see him embracing it totally. And if that happens, I think he's a high-enough-profile guy that they'd actually give him some leash.

However, I agree with the idea that if he doesn't buy into it 100%, I can't see any amount of their usual threats or cajoling getting to him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dokmo posted:

Edit I seem to recall an in between period during the BLM protests when he was actually cool?

He bought a house for George Floyd's family, and was one of the big voices against restarting the league when everyone walked out in support of the ongoing protests, and I personally think the league probably should have listened to him.

Lockback posted:

He argued that instead of being in the bubble the players should take action but then he didn't really spend time in the bubble anyway and spent his time breaking quarantine rules to have parties with Drake so turns out he was full of poo poo.

And then that sort of undermined some of the good faith he built up, and also his whole pandemic response was just... godawful and continues to be to this day.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What I am hearing is that Kyrie probably wasn't responsible for any one person not getting the vaccine, but if he were, say, 1% of the reason that a hundred people that didn't get it and then also died, then maybe he killed a person on aggregate.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

Oh my God

Is beal the 20th best player in the league?

Oh my. Players taking their piece of the pie doesn’t bother me but in a value sense this is hilarious

I can't believe that he's got the second largest contract of all time. Bradly Beal, of all people. Three time all-star. That's the same number as Luka, and he's six years younger. Hell, that's the same number as Ben Simmons, who is also younger, but also Ben Simmons. It's as many as Antoine Walker. It's one less than Rajon Rondo.

I don't think Beal is on or even really near pace to be a Hall of Famer. The mind boggles.

I think this is the first time in my life I've actually been annoyed about people in Washington spending too much.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 7, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

i am a moron posted:

it's absurd anyways, that was a weird lockout-shortened year and that was 100% the admiral's team

also Tim Duncan destroying the SSOL Suns in... whatever year that was with a totally unexpected 3 was my favorite memory of him. TD was insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trdsKp94Io0

basketball rules

I yelled out so loud and involuntarily, that my mom came running out, covered in dishwater, to see what was the matter. It's probably my favorite individual moment for basketball.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm really sad a garage mouse ate all of my stolen Peja cough drops that he offered to some mom that he'd always hit on while she was coming back from the VIP lounge and spilled on the floor next to me when she set her purse down

What the hell kind of a move is giving someone multiple cough drops?

And Peja absolutely strikes me as a MILF chaser.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dokmo posted:

This came up in my timeline, combining my two favorite things: weird funk and alperen sengun highlights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DUNKC0MP/status/1514236797186109442

Mostly quoting this so I can look it up later because it's always time for Sengun Highlights, and "Turkish Funk" sounds extremely interesting.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

Cavs are going to be top 4 lock that poo poo in

I think I agree. Eyeballing it. Let's see the rest of the off season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
All right, I've got...

Tracy McGrady
Grady Lewis
Lewis Lloyd
Lloyd Neal
Neil Johnston

I get... Two hall of famers, some chaff, and a guy who shot less than 30%.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Good for the Suns if they match and keep him. Little sad for the Pacers, though. Ayton would be like, the second ever big free agent to sign with them, after David West.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Six number ones?

What in the world?

EDIT
The James Harden trade broke GMs' brains. Before that, even MVP caliber players didn't yield anywhere near that kind of a return. And Mitchell is not James Harden. If some idiot actually takes the Jazz up on that offer, I won't feel sorry when the league names the new-age Stepien rule after them.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 15, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
More than two or three picks for Mitchell is actually insane. Trading your entire future for what was ultimately a failed second star to make him into your main star.

Meanwhile, Minnesota traded their future picks to secure their future (showing their star they can get elite help right now) by making another team's main star into like, somewhere in their top three of guys.

And yeah, Gobert is monstrously underrated. Any implication of him and Mitchell being of equal importance to the Jazz's success is off the mark.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DeimosRising posted:

He didn’t get a max, what he got is insulting. They let him test the market and gave him what other teams could offer. He won’t finish that contract in Phoenix. He may well sit as soon as he has a sore ankle and mysteriously not get better until he’s moved.

Yeah, Phoenix gave him someone else's max. Not their own. They basically said "we don't think you are special."

Which, you can't let that play out that way. You gotta get out ahead of that situation with your own spin. Offer him the other teams' max up front. (It was deeply stupid to assume no one would find a way to offer one to him) Or inform him ahead of time. "We'll match anything, but we have to hold back a little because we're so drat close to a championship."

Even if it's bullshit and you're just a tightwad, you have to at least try and spin it. You gotta make him feel like a drat hero for leaving money on the table. Ayton does not feel like a hero, at least to the Phoenix Suns.

It's a relationship they can repair, especially if they stay good. But it's gonna be harder to spin after the snub.

Maybe they'll look to trade him four five picks that, knowing Phoenix, they'll trade for cash.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JackBandit posted:

They don’t know about Gobert’s alternative universe dynasty in Honolulu, forgive them

It's been a while, but I think he only won one of those titles. Maybe two. Though this post seriously brightened my day.

If only Bol Bol were actually any good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hope whoever gets Wenbanyama didn't deliberately tank, and is just either snakebit by misfortune or badly designed.

Imagine the Kings winning the lottery and picking someone else. (Sorry, WhyteRice, but they really do feel like the most plausible team to gently caress it up)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TheShazbot posted:

Guess which one of these dudes has his number retired.

I had to look it up. Apparently, it was one of the two guys I wrote off as "chaff". Though honestly, both Lloyd Neal and Lewis Lloyd were probably above-replacement level players, so maybe "chaff" was a bit mean. Mostly, I wanted my five to start and finish with a Hall of Famer.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think Mitchell is crazy overrated, but when I said "I'd trade like, two, maybe three picks for him" that was still mostly a compliment. He's clearly quite a bit above average, I just think any team that has him as their main star is going to look kind of Wizards-y.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Brolander posted:

boat's a car, of the water. strip club is a building

Boats predate cars. If anything both are carriages.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A carriage is a land-boat, boats predate the wheel.

Good point. For some reason I just memory holed the entire age of sail and human propelled seacraft.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

nothing screams "this will be around forever" like a tyedyed bearded mans face on a bottle of (bad) wine

thats the bottle of wine you buy at a corner liquor shop going "yeah i guess whatever"

Cheap Wine feels like a thing that gets bought and then gets used. Who buys bad wine just to have wine?

If you're gonna have something lying around, presumably for some kind of night cap, have the good stuff.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

i meant in the sense that line of wine is going to last like 3 years tops then itll never be made again

Aaaaaaahhh. Yes, this makes more sense.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TheKevman posted:

Haha his game was so majestic and so pure when he'd come in off the bench. You literally can't overemphasize how important that guy was to the team IQ and leadership.

I will forever remember with fondness his silky smooth elbow J's. He was unguardable unless a team wanted to completely sellout to stop him, at which point the alternative was a dunk.

Plus he's Shawn loving Livingston! Having watched his career arc (still can't and won't ever rewatch the injury- once was too many times) it just was so :monocle: every time he was on the damned court, let alone succeeding at that level.
Yeah, I really liked his game and potential when he was on the Clippers, and then that vomit fest happened. To see him reach even some of his potential was a pretty feel good story.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

Short sentence short sentence loooooooong sentence really weird tempo.

The tempo is fine, but the commas being almost artistically in the wrong spots and the incorrect word usage just made me recoil like some kind of pedantic grammar vampire. A Grammpire, if you will.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ammanas posted:

lol this is literally how a ton of people, usually men live, especially in manual labor work. just a daily grind of pain tolerance, overconsumption of anti-inflammatories (or opioids), alcohol abuse and steadfast refusal to seek (or inability to affordably access) health care.

the landscaper or mechanic isnt paid $20 million a year either.

Yeah it's hosed up. Healthcare is way too expensive and necessary. Can't see yourself in because of either money or the risk to your SOURCE of money/insurance.

But there's also a bit of idiocy in there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

This is very true but there's also a very ugly culture of "suck it up and get through it" even among laborers with good healthcare options.

To clarify, I agree. That's what the "bit of idiocy" was referring to.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I know it might just be your normal "I'm better than ever" summer talk, but Dame saying he felt like he was back 6 weeks after surgery only to realize he wasn't fully healthy yet it's pretty crazy

To be fair, this is a thing that I fully believe and understand, having had some minor surgeries and/or injuries requiring rehab in the past. Your body feels great, but there's day-to-day great, light workout great, and work great.

Hell, even when I had my wisdom teeth out, and my stitches dissolved and I was past the "don't drink alcohol before this day" point, I was not past the real "it's safe to drink alcohol now" point.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Spacebump posted:

Who is currently the most overrated active player?

Bradley Beal has the second highest contract of any NBA player in history.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Is the percentage their percentage that went in, or what percentage of their threes were from 30 or more feet?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Spacebump posted:

How is playing against plumbers and garbage men easier than playing against podcasters and tv analysts?

Well clearly, because as we determined earlier, after a point, too much bulk makes you more injury prone, and who is more likely to have bulk? Guys who sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, or manual labor? Plus, in adding this necessary pointless bulk to their frames, the laborers only contribute to the wear and tear their bodies go through over the years.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This is the first thing he's said that's actually funny.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harlock posted:

I believe in Celtics friendship ball and with Brogton and Gallinari I think they're a more complete team than last year and probably shouldn't trade for KD.

Whoa, when did they get Gallo? I missed that one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Always remember to remind people that they still played 82 game seasons. You know, in case they're some of those dumbasses that talk about doughy rec league players. Well you know what? Fine. But Bill and Wilt also played against other peak athletes, such as, you know, each other. And they did it much more frequently because there weren't nearly as many teams.

Imagine having to play Lebron double digit times in a season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Maybe he just didn't have the best hands for shooting, for all his obvious skills on defense.

Maybe more plays went through him than should have, because he was the star. I'm not gonna claim they were the same player by any means, but what would Ben Wallace's stat line look like if you tossed him back through time and he was clearly his team's star player with his obvious talents?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Celebrate the opening of the NBA Finals in his honor, every season, on June 11th, which is close to the date it starts anyhow, but also 6 for his number and 11 for his rings.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

When I got back into basketball in the early 2000s, Sam Cassell was one of my favorite guys to watch, because that fucker just knew, he knew exactly when to hit a shot and just knife the kidneys of the other team.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Jesus Christ, you'd think it was Saffron.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

morestuff posted:

Shump’s been trying to find a guy to carry his weed but the job market is crazy right now

Shump has a fairly established history with delivering his own product instead of relying on a professional.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Or just get high the natural way: psychological trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I do not partake, but I had a friend who always insisted that it stayed better, somehow, if he kept it all clumped up instead of portioning it out ahead of time.

No idea if that holds up, but even if it doesn't, it's a sentiment that I have seen before, so it stands to reason someone else might believe it.