Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the first EC2 instance was a Compaq under an intern's desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

runnin' my cloud like a late 90s webforum

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
renormalize running critical infrastructure on a machine under Srini's desk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

renormalize running critical infrastructure on a machine under Srini's desk

you don't need to invest in monitoring tools when he can just tell you he can hear the fans are spinning up

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i kind of want to run a web server off of old hardware from home for nostalgia value. been idly thinking about this a lot lately because i have a sickness of the soul.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i kind of want to run a web server off of old hardware from home for nostalgia value. been idly thinking about this a lot lately because i have a sickness of the soul.

I've been thinking a lot about low-power, low-bandwidth computing lately

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

At my first job at a bearing manufacturer in Indiana we had some critical internal sites running on a 13 year old workstation and we didn't know it until the guy retired and someone turned off his computer lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

At my first job at a bearing manufacturer in Indiana we had some critical internal sites running on a 13 year old workstation and we didn't know it until the guy retired and someone turned off his computer lol

so the question is:

was fixing that problem more or less work than 13 years of fuckin around with poo poo like ansible and terraform?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

that’s the good stuff

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

that’s the good stuff

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
heard from someone at my first job that he knew a guy who worked somewhere where half of everything on their internal network would regularly go down. he eventually enquired about what that was all about and was told that they had an old novell server running under a desk which was somehow critical to their infrastructure. sometime it'd stop working so they'd just reboot it since everyone who knew anything about novell's tech was long gone. the guy figured he might as well try to fix this so he picked up old novell doc, and before long he left the company since it turns out there's still a surprising amount of that stuff in the wild (or was, like 10 years ago) and you can make obscene quantities of cash going around fixing that stuff

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No Industry for Antiquarians

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you might think that in 2004, realnetworks would have had some process in place for standing up a production server, and maybe it did, but damned if my dev lead or anyone else on my team there knew what it was

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

GCP used a pencil.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I still remember at my cjs school c.2000 where examinations were still being done in basic/dos because “some industries are hold outs and haven’t upgraded to win2k, and probably won’t”. Some exams were done in os/2. it was pretty much a low point in my life.

after graduating with my shiny diploma and a hatred of computers, I gained employment outside of the industry.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its how farmers are made

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i wonder how people would become farmers before computers were invented? Were there like steam engine dudes who were like "I am so tired of all this steam bullshit, I'm just gonna be a farmer instead."

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
at $dayjob in 2011 we ran most of our batch processing jobs on one workstation under a desk. reduced our ec2 bill by $20k a month. aws used to be expensive and terrible.

epitaph fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 27, 2022

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

its how farmers are made

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if i could get paid deecee six figgies to be an assistant to a real farmer id quit tomorrow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

if i could get paid deecee six figgies to be an assistant to a real farmer id quit tomorrow

i think there's a distinction to be made here between actual farmers and "gentleman farmers" which is to say people who run farms as a hobby because they dont need to live off the money they make selling okra or whatever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I still remember at my cjs school c.2000 where examinations were still being done in basic/dos because “some industries are hold outs and haven’t upgraded to win2k, and probably won’t”. Some exams were done in os/2. it was pretty much a low point in my life.
lol at the excuse, the instructors just didn't want to teach new poo poo. also ibm gave them a deal on equipment without windows

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 27, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i flunked out of college at least partially because the school i picked only had comp sci in a business school, and the entire first semester was nothing but us converting from decimal to binary and back. I now understand the concept of a washout class, but cmon man

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

All EC2 instances continue the tradition by living under someone's desk. Forgotten until the end times.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CommieGIR posted:

All EC2 instances continue the tradition by living under someone's desk. Forgotten until the end times.

...forever cursed to exist only as a $19.32 monthly charge that nobody can really figure out how to stop.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i know i'm leaking ec2 instances. whatever, they're cheap

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol yeah, cs programs that developed under the influence of the business school (and therefore likely the influence of IBM) tend to be "special"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
now you can serve your company's production from a single unmanaged instance in your personal AWS account and expense it until you quit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its a lot better now but i every now & then I still see interns from colleges that will spend a year talking about computability and proofs of correctness and I ask them to commit to version control and they're like "version control?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

...forever cursed to exist only as a $19.32 monthly charge that nobody can really figure out how to stop.

Till the cryptominer takes its toll

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CommieGIR posted:

Till the cryptominer takes its toll

reminder that the weed dump i worked at got owned by this, some sales bro got his excel password spreadsheet owned by a hacker and for 20 days slovenian teenagers ran the max number of gpu instances on aws mining bitcoin until we got a $230,000 aws bill in

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

reminder that the weed dump i worked at got owned by this, some sales bro got his excel password spreadsheet owned by a hacker and for 20 days slovenian teenagers ran the max number of gpu instances on aws mining bitcoin until we got a $230,000 aws bill in

lmao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

kid rules

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weed dump's answer was to change the minimum password length from 16 to 24 characters btw

Also they ran separate logins for every environment because the CTO "didn't trust IAM"

when i got laid off i deleted 48 google auth tokens

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i moved a service to EC2 from a set of 2011 mac minis that were sitting in a closet in the office as recently as last year

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

are they worse than the CS departments run by people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that a CS degree is almost all vocational training?
idk man how much time do you want to spend explaining that there are other data formats besides csv

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

idk man how much time do you want to spend explaining that there are other data formats besides csv

probably about as much time as you want to spend explaining why this new prolog tool just isn't gonna work in the toolchain

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"look, Barney, i agree that graph isomorphism is an important concept and we can definitely come back to this later but right now I just need you to bump the version number in the POM ok"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

post hole digger posted:

I do this except it's reasonably modern nas hardware. it's great tbh.