Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Goon Commonweal mapping project? we have enough people in here who have read the books repeatedly to be able to fact-check it, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Third. I've used the 'Frodo Lives' comparison even.

I've recommended the series all over the place online, and more than a few times IRL often enough I've got a literal copypaste pitch saved in a text file. It seems to work well. At least 4 people have subsequently asked me questions mid-read of the March North citing it:

I'll add that to the OP if you don't mind.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kestral posted:

Goon Commonweal mapping project? we have enough people in here who have read the books repeatedly to be able to fact-check it, I imagine.

Hmm, I would be somewhat interested in this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Hmm, I would be somewhat interested in this.

Same. I’d think a starting point would just be a shared document that records anywhere that two places are related wrt one another, along with text cites?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I think that'd make sense. Basically get a big list of locations and how they seem to be positioned to each other. I've looked at the map that cultureulterior did years ago plenty of times, and IIRC other than needing to be flipped east/west it's a good starting point.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Danhenge posted:

I'll add that to the OP if you don't mind.

By all means.

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I think that'd make sense. Basically get a big list of locations and how they seem to be positioned to each other. I've looked at the map that cultureulterior did years ago plenty of times, and IIRC other than needing to be flipped east/west it's a good starting point.

I made a list of 'geo-facts' in a notebook from March North some point before the pandemic, and I've of course lost it since. But same idea, build the map like a logic grid puzzle for where things must be.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A collaborative whiteboard like Sketchboard.me would be excellent for the early stages, since you can add objects and position them relative to one another, tag objects with commentary, write text directly to the board, etc. Sketchboard also has a snap-to-grid function, which would be useful in establishing measurements once you’re at that stage, and good for approximations before then: one grid square equals X kilometers, etc.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

But I'd put the simple list of geo-facts in a Google Doc, and move it to the whiteboard/map/whatever as a second pass.

(Also interested, unsure of my actual time availability, but interested.)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm interested as well. I might still have the list of geofacts I started with, I'll check. Some things will be unavailable now, because of the death of the mailing list and g+, like how the main river flows

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, started scratch notes in a google doc from where I was in my reread. Can anyone guess what part I just started?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But I'd put the simple list of geo-facts in a Google Doc, and move it to the whiteboard/map/whatever as a second pass.

(Also interested, unsure of my actual time availability, but interested.)

diog feels a chill run down his spine at the idea of us being encouraged in this sort of nonsense

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

diog feels a chill run down his spine at the idea of us being encouraged in this sort of nonsense

Lol I've definitely had a few moments of "could they be the same person?"

(But I'm fairly sure they're not.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've completed my re-read of A Succession of Bad Days, and in doing so added everything I could find about places to the google doc notepad. I'm very confused on precisely how many canals there are in the Creeks. The joke about their being a parliamentary riding called the Western West West-East Canal was good, though.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I’m just picking this series back up at book 3 and have forgotten almost everything.

I think there were 5 students? Brainwormy, brain worm’s crush, embodiment of death or something, ?????? And !!!!!!!!!.

Can anyone help very roughly giving me the lowdown on the students?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

book 2 had:
* Edgar (brainwormy, previously dim, had a parasite that kept him from developing his talent - and intelligence - until just before the 2nd book began, unhatched horror from beyond the universe whose hatching and aftermath thereof is the end of book 2);
*Dove (brainwormy's crush, returning character in The March North as a platoon leader, the strongest student by some distance, in her mid-30s and thus the oldest student by about a decade, and possessed of unconquerable willpower and determination);
*Chloris (Death, very prim young Creek who struggled to come to terms with being a necromancer because of the social stigma and legends about necromancers, and also because her family were lovely, toxic, emotionally abusive assholes); and
* Zora (2nd weakest of the bunch, most traditionally sane of the four, still a teenager, life-mage, likes to create illusory butterfly wings, almost kills herself by doing a massive working inside an already big working that cooks her brain right under the nose of one of their teachers).

Book 2 also started with Kynefrid in the class, who was a bit weaker than Zora. Kynefrid dropped out of the program because he couldn't get himself to believe that it could actually work and it wouldn't just end up killing him. So he left to try to succeed as a traditional student.

Book 3 has a fifth member of the team introduced, Constant, who is a whole... thing. And not very well explained. Constant was not in the 2nd book outside of what I think is a glancing mention here: "[Dove and Edgar's] full coherence creates a third distinct mind, there are three of them at that point in time, there might be an entire intermittent personality."

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 20, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I've completed my re-read of A Succession of Bad Days, and in doing so added everything I could find about places to the google doc notepad. I'm very confused on precisely how many canals there are in the Creeks. The joke about their being a parliamentary riding called the Western West West-East Canal was good, though.

Yeah I'm reading for the first time, and I think the implication is that while the Creeks themselves run roughly north to south, there's a giant network of canals linking them east to west.

habeasdorkus posted:

Book 2 also started with Kynefrid in the class, who was a bit weaker than Zora. Kynefrid dropped out of the program because he couldn't get himself to believe that it could actually work and it wouldn't just end up killing him. So he left to try to succeed as a traditional student.

Was Kynefrid ever gendered? I don't think I ever saw them referred to with anything but gender-neutral pronouns.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Was Kynefrid ever gendered? I don't think I ever saw them referred to with anything but gender-neutral pronouns.

Chloris complains about there only being two dudes in the group.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, Kynefrid is a gay dude. It's just that the Commonweal folks don't refer to non-intimate partners with gendered pronouns in general. I only used male pronouns for sake of clarity because "they couldn't get themselves to believe" might have indicated more than just Kynefrid's belief.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol yeah i think it's primarily mentioned in the context of Chloris being depressed there's no one to bone because she'd probably instantly kill any normal person

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There's also a reference later on, during Kynefrid's test for Independent status, that "he never lost his wish to be mighty" w/r/t Angren; given that gendered language is typically used for intimate partners, that reinforces the "Kynefrid likes the lads" from the wizard school books.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
constant is a gestalt of some of the core young external power group, yeah. they have names for all of the gestalts, because iirc Blossom eventually can meld with them too. and these gestalts really are their own person separate from their component personalities, too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Kynefrid's one of the blue folks that has to consume methanol, isn't he?

Zora and Ed are somewhere on the more traditional body plan, I think.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ed is cold blooded and bleeds blue after shape-shifting practice. He only started at the traditional end of the spectrum

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Kynefrid's one of the blue folks that has to consume methanol, isn't he?

Zora and Ed are somewhere on the more traditional body plan, I think.

Kynefrid has blue hair, but I don’t think they’re an Elegant (the alcohol-requiring folks); Angren is an Elegant Blue (ethanol-requiring), and at Eugenia’s Independent test, she notes that one of Crane’s students “might be an Elegant”, which suggests Kynefrid is not.

(Also Elegant Blues aren’t actually very blue, judging from the relative descriptions of Kynefrid and Angren at Eugenia’s independent ceremony.)

Basically I think from what we’ve seen Kynefrid is probably one of the less common types of person in the Commonweal, one that doesn’t belong to any of the clusters.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kynefrid does have blue hair, though. Also tall and thin, and gets cold very easily.

e: not sure how I missed the mention of his blue hair in the last post.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am just about finished with the first book and loved it. I *think* I have figured out a lot of how things work from the context, but it's still all very confusing. I have avoided reading this thread because of spoilers for the following books which I will dive into soon, but does a lot of this stuff get answered going forward? Like I understand a lot about the standard but I also feel like I am missing a whole lot and/or I may be wrong. Is there any guide to the mechanics of this world and magic system that wouldn't spoil later books or should I just continue reading because there will be more concrete explanations?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There aren't any great guides in part because there is a lot of explanation spread throughout the series. If you have questions you should ask them and if they can be answered without big spoilers we'll try to answer them.

Glad you liked the March North, though!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plenty of stuff gets answered but it's rarely answered explicitly. You gotta work to understand more than the plot in these books.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I am just about finished with the first book and loved it. I *think* I have figured out a lot of how things work from the context, but it's still all very confusing. I have avoided reading this thread because of spoilers for the following books which I will dive into soon, but does a lot of this stuff get answered going forward? Like I understand a lot about the standard but I also feel like I am missing a whole lot and/or I may be wrong. Is there any guide to the mechanics of this world and magic system that wouldn't spoil later books or should I just continue reading because there will be more concrete explanations?

Keep reading, then ask questions if you feel too lost IMO.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok so if any of these answers will be spoilers for later books or even just lessen the impact of a cool lightbulb moment in the later books I don't want to know. I am going to spoiler the whole thing in case anybody wonders in here that hasn't read the first book yet.

1. The standard.

It allows lesser talent folks to combine like Voltron so their magical abilities are on par with the strongest independents? But it also seems to have it's own pocket dimension that can be used to store stuff (the battalion records are mentioned) and to go into for meetings and also for the dead to stay in before they move on to the afterlife? Why did they have wagons and such for the ammunition if they can store things in the standard? But it also is a physical thing? Like a big pole with a flag or something? When they talk about going in and out of it are they physically going in and out of this pocket dimension or is it like an out of body thing? It also has a focus which is like a force field that can be shaped to push and pull and do all kinds of things? Also, a person (Blossom) can be a standard? Also does the standard-captain get full control or otherwise have special abilities?

2. Road building/marching

Didn't really quite understand this. When they march it's like a haste spell so they are going super fast, but they also talk about like not being able to see outside (the drovers in particular who aren't part of the standard can't see what is around them as they march if I remember correctly). Are they inside the standard during marching and there is just a big flagpole rushing down the countryside? Is it actually just a time warp thing? Why do they have to build a road everywhere as they go? That seemed very important but I couldn't understand why because even the Reems guys built the despair road but they weren't traveling down it at the time so why build the road?

3. Why do they need a second commonweal?

I couldn't get whether it was because the creatures out of the paingyre are definitely (or already had) going to beat the rest of the first commonweal or if they are just going to cleave the creeks from the commonweal? It sounded like cleaving but why does that require setting up a second commonweal exactly? Why couldn't they still communicate via magic or why do they not expect the first commonweal will attack and reestablish communication?

4. Shape of Peace

So this seems to be basically the constitution of the commonweal but it's also a magic binding that means the people bound to it literally cannot break any of it's rules without dying on the spot?

5. What are signas pennons and gesiths?

6. The captain is a graul which seems to be a species created by magic? Is that right? What exactly are their powers? They can see a little way into the future but the captain can apparently change his mind in the past to negate the ability of another graul?

7. How exactly does the artillery work? Is it basically what we have except instead of gunpowder shells it's just shells with a certain kind of magic or spell in them? Like red-red-black and red-red-red are just designations for what exactly it does when it explodes?

8. The battles could be a bit confusing. What was actually killing people? Was it spells/magic Reems launched that made it through the focus/shield? It seemed like maybe in certain instances they actually got into them in melee and cut down people with swords or whatever but I don't remember a single description of anybody in the Line actually physically fighting with handheld weaponry.

That's all I can think of now. I really enjoy his prose but it is also incredibly frustrating and I have never had to re-read passages as much as I have had reading this book to understand exactly what is going on or being said.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually, yeah. Basically all of that gets answered lol. But you have to pick up on it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

1. Not a full answer, but you can't fit everything into the standard because there isn't room. The Captain mentions that "you’re not expected to have guests, or at least not more than one or two at a time." The space for the dead still attached to the banner is not for living folks, generally, or for storage. e: The space inside a standard is extradimensional, you can walk into it if you have the Standard Captain's invitation. The other Standards recognize Blossom as a standard, which is very much not normal and is part of why the Captain calls Blossom an existential threat to the Commonweal in his report to General Chert.

2. You need to build the road as you march or you'll run into things or off of cliffs at high speeds. Reems built their road to prevent the Northern Hills from shifting around, rather than move quickly.

3. Worried about the former, certain about the latter. And no means of communication or transit that would be safe. Hard to have a representative government if you can't get your elected representatives to parliament.

4. Yes and no. It's the overarching enchantment that enforces rules on those sworn to office and Independents. If you're just a random citizen you can still lie to folks about the size of the fish you caught.

5. Signas and Pennons are types of Standards, the former for brigades and the latter for a general. Gesith is an Old English word for "companion, fellow, comrade; companion or follower of an athel or king" and are essentially government Departments or Ministries in the Commonweal (e.g. the Lug-Gesith, which handles transportation, or the Line-Gesith, which handles equipping the Line)

6. You essentially have this correct. The Captain figured out how to change what he did in the past while fighting the Hell-things from the Paingyre. "Really a pity you have to spend a continuous month in the focus and cursing your bad decisions to figure out how to do it. More of a pity that the reach back isn’t very deep."

7. The artillery are more like electromagnetic railguns than regular gunpowder cannon. The red/black indicates whether there's any magic involved with that part of the shot or not. I can't recall what the order is for the three, but the first is "type of boom" with black being the pure kinetic energy of the shell, and the second two being "guidance system" and something I can't recall off the top of my head.

8. Depends on the battle. Most of the Line who died perished in the battle after Reems' road exploded. Those primarily were killed in hand to hand combat with Reems berserkers because it's difficult to fight while feeling the effects of pure, material despair.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 23, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also some of that artillery they're using in the March North is making explosions more like something you'd drop from a modern bomber. they seem capable of a wide range from "conventional mortar shell" to "vast expanse of burning glass"

e: lol i was looking up the end of the march north to see if i was remembering right and came upon

quote:

The mostly clear path took us through the blast zone where the Master Gunner got whoever was running the big Reems joint enchantment.

That one went off in the air, and there’s a couple kilometres of shallow crater.

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 23, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok so not too far off what I thought was going on. Thanks!

Is there a reason this author hasn't tried to publish an actual book or through the more popular ebook stores? Seems like he is leaving a lot on the table, I could definitely see this being more popular with a wider reach.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Ok so not too far off what I thought was going on. Thanks!

Is there a reason this author hasn't tried to publish an actual book or through the more popular ebook stores? Seems like he is leaving a lot on the table, I could definitely see this being more popular with a wider reach.

extreme commitment to his highly specific political/economic philosophy, i think. more on that as the series progresses!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

D-Pad posted:

Is there a reason this author hasn't tried to publish an actual book

He is overtly resistant to any suggest he should. He's said he might consider it when the whole series is done.

Graydon is a regular commenter (and guest poster) over on Charles Stross' blog, and I've seen Stross make more than one offer to have his agent call Graydon and offer him a publishing deal with no future book obligations. Graydon continues to delcine. It's kinda comical to watch.

Also, he's gainfully employed as specialist technical writer for megacorps. This is a passion project, not anything like an attempt at a second career. He would never make as much as a published author as he does at his day job.

D-Pad posted:

or through the more popular ebook stores? Seems like he is leaving a lot on the table, I could definitely see this being more popular with a wider reach.

Graydon has problems with Amazon et al. Insurmountable ethical and legal ones. I believe those are explained on his blog, though they might be in the comments, so good luck finding them or just believe this rando.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

e: it's not on the post i thought it was.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Ok so if any of these answers will be spoilers for later books or even just lessen the impact of a cool lightbulb moment in the later books I don't want to know. I am going to spoiler the whole thing in case anybody wonders in here that hasn't read the first book yet.

1. The standard.

It allows lesser talent folks to combine like Voltron so their magical abilities are on par with the strongest independents? But it also seems to have it's own pocket dimension that can be used to store stuff (the battalion records are mentioned) and to go into for meetings and also for the dead to stay in before they move on to the afterlife? Why did they have wagons and such for the ammunition if they can store things in the standard? But it also is a physical thing? Like a big pole with a flag or something? When they talk about going in and out of it are they physically going in and out of this pocket dimension or is it like an out of body thing? It also has a focus which is like a force field that can be shaped to push and pull and do all kinds of things? Also, a person (Blossom) can be a standard? Also does the standard-captain get full control or otherwise have special abilities?

2. Road building/marching

Didn't really quite understand this. When they march it's like a haste spell so they are going super fast, but they also talk about like not being able to see outside (the drovers in particular who aren't part of the standard can't see what is around them as they march if I remember correctly). Are they inside the standard during marching and there is just a big flagpole rushing down the countryside? Is it actually just a time warp thing? Why do they have to build a road everywhere as they go? That seemed very important but I couldn't understand why because even the Reems guys built the despair road but they weren't traveling down it at the time so why build the road?

3. Why do they need a second commonweal?

I couldn't get whether it was because the creatures out of the paingyre are definitely (or already had) going to beat the rest of the first commonweal or if they are just going to cleave the creeks from the commonweal? It sounded like cleaving but why does that require setting up a second commonweal exactly? Why couldn't they still communicate via magic or why do they not expect the first commonweal will attack and reestablish communication?

4. Shape of Peace

So this seems to be basically the constitution of the commonweal but it's also a magic binding that means the people bound to it literally cannot break any of it's rules without dying on the spot?

5. What are signas pennons and gesiths?

6. The captain is a graul which seems to be a species created by magic? Is that right? What exactly are their powers? They can see a little way into the future but the captain can apparently change his mind in the past to negate the ability of another graul?

7. How exactly does the artillery work? Is it basically what we have except instead of gunpowder shells it's just shells with a certain kind of magic or spell in them? Like red-red-black and red-red-red are just designations for what exactly it does when it explodes?

8. The battles could be a bit confusing. What was actually killing people? Was it spells/magic Reems launched that made it through the focus/shield? It seemed like maybe in certain instances they actually got into them in melee and cut down people with swords or whatever but I don't remember a single description of anybody in the Line actually physically fighting with handheld weaponry.

That's all I can think of now. I really enjoy his prose but it is also incredibly frustrating and I have never had to re-read passages as much as I have had reading this book to understand exactly what is going on or being said.

Re 4. It's more that it's used for attestations under oath, ie there are consequences to defying it. Not necessarily death -- see the part at the end of book 1 where a parliamentarian tests out the "no lies in parliament" functionality and ends up with his pants on fire -- but definite, strong consequences. There's also a bunch of stuff that's gotten into in book 2 about magical protections provided by the Peace, most notably that it keeps everyone's true names within it. This both gives the Peace power over people, but protects them from being magicked against using their true names. There are more complex rules for keeping Independent sorcerers in line, which are hinted at in book 1, and are gone into in a lot of detail in book 2.

7. The shells are pre-created by enchantment (all except the black, which are just slugs). The artillery use a standard to magically propel the shells to the enemy, potentially using weird paths, homing logic, etc.

8. In the first battle, the most casualties were taken mainly from the solid despair evaporating all over them like a chemical weapon. Otherwise, sorcerers, the swords of berserkers, etc. The Captain single-handedly slices up 220-some dudes with a sword in the first battle. A bunch of the weapons of the main Wapentake/short company are melee weapons, they just have some ranged weapons they use first. (Also, from the Captain's POV, the last battle involved a lot more magic/demons/ichor, whereas Blossoms end of things probably got a lot messier once the enemy were inside arty range.)

Edit: Also re 1, the standards are actual, very enchanted, objects. They have the pocket dimension, the dead storage capability, and the ability to act as a focus for collective mystical effort. It's mentioned in book 1 that a Standard Captain is bound to their standard, such that they die if they go further than a few kilometres from it. The pocket dimension is a courtesy so they have a portable place to live. Book 1 also mentions that the Standards for the Second Commonweal had to be made out of wood as a temporary measure. They go into this a bit more in book 2. "The focus" is I think the state of joining together, while the standard is the object that facilitates that. There are also other standards than battle standards, for various industrial purposes, but the battle Standards are the most important.

Really, book 2 goes into a lot of exposition, in a way that's somehow not annoying? It's less exciting than the fighting of the first book, but Graydon manages to make mundane slice-of-life tasks be extremely metal.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 24, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slyphic posted:

Graydon has problems with Amazon et al. Insurmountable ethical and legal ones. I believe those are explained on his blog, though they might be in the comments, so good luck finding them or just believe this rando.

That's fair. Amazon is an especially terrible company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There are also other standards than battle standards, for various industrial purposes.

They call the focuses for other jobs just focuses. The Standards are their own thing, and more than just the focus (although that's the thing that gives the Line its ability to stand up to Bad Old Days sorcerers.