Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Book 2 does a fantastic job of explaining a bunch of poo poo without feeling like the characters are lecturing you, the reader. Which is often not the case with this kind of setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You will need a tolerance for commas, however.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

grassy gnoll posted:

You will need a tolerance for commas, however.

Lol. Having just finished it, I definitely did not find Edgar's stream-of-consciousness narration anywhere near as annoying as some in this thread.

Although I think my favourite part was when he tried weeding, and every way he could think of to kill the weeds was so filled with cosmic horror even Wake was traumatized.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ed does tend to wrap themself up in side thoughts and digressions within the same sentence. Zora isn't as bad when we get their perspective in Safely You Deliver, and Grue is downright straightforward.

As for Ed and weeding, well... Ed does figure out how to do it in a way that doesn't terrify most people, but is fundamentally similar to what Laurel did to Wake and Halt and the rest of the 12, so that definitely puts Wake off his whole 'benevolent bricklayer' equilibrium for a bit. It's a very good bit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

2. You need to build the road as you march or you'll run into things or off of cliffs at high speeds. Reems built their road to prevent the Northern Hills from shifting around, rather than move quickly.
Realized in my reread of Safely You Deliver that the Standard also compresses the space being travelled so it's not just being able to move more quickly.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

8. In the first battle, the most casualties were taken mainly from the solid despair evaporating all over them like a chemical weapon. Otherwise, sorcerers, the swords of berserkers, etc. The Captain single-handedly slices up 220-some dudes with a sword in the first battle. A bunch of the weapons of the main Wapentake/short company are melee weapons, they just have some ranged weapons they use first. (Also, from the Captain's POV, the last battle involved a lot more magic/demons/ichor, whereas Blossoms end of things probably got a lot messier once the enemy were inside arty range.)

Spoilers for The March North only:
I think the despair didn't necessarily kill them, so much as make it impossible for them to fight back. They lost their latch on the platoon focus, so they were a couple hundred soldiers stuck just fighting a few thousand berserkers (who, being berserkers, were insulated from the despair) instead of being able to use the tricks the Standard offers. The March North does detail how many die at each point, though. Less than half the Wapentake and Experimental Battery make it back to Headwaters, 278 hale or wounded versus 297 dead. Something like 200 of those deaths happen when the Despair pops off. Most of the troopers who went with the Captain into the fortress made it back, but the Experimental Battery and Dove's Third Platoon had ~60 more dead after that fight and took most of their casualties from the spine beasts.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Ed does tend to wrap themself up in side thoughts and digressions within the same sentence. Zora isn't as bad when we get their perspective in Safely You Deliver, and Grue is downright straightforward.

As for Ed and weeding, well... Ed does figure out how to do it in a way that doesn't terrify most people, but is fundamentally similar to what Laurel did to Wake and Halt and the rest of the 12, so that definitely puts Wake off his whole 'benevolent bricklayer' equilibrium for a bit. It's a very good bit.

Lol yep.

habeasdorkus posted:

Realized in my reread of Safely You Deliver that the Standard also compresses the space being travelled so it's not just being able to move more quickly.

Yeah there's an offhand comment near the end of the book.

quote:

Spoilers for The March North only:
I think the despair didn't necessarily kill them, so much as make it impossible for them to fight back. They lost their latch on the platoon focus, so they were a couple hundred soldiers stuck just fighting a few thousand berserkers (who, being berserkers, were insulated from the despair) instead of being able to use the tricks the Standard offers. The March North does detail how many die at each point, though. Less than half the Wapentake and Experimental Battery make it back to Headwaters, 278 hale or wounded versus 297 dead. Something like 200 of those deaths happen when the Despair pops off. Most of the troopers who went with the Captain into the fortress made it back, but the Experimental Battery and Dove's Third Platoon had ~60 more dead after that fight and took most of their casualties from the spine beasts.

Ah yes that makes sense.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Re: despair, one of my favorite tiny details in the books that you only notice on a re-read.

"The light goes out of the world, dust and worse than dust.

I’ve been here before.

Dove’s been here"

Those three words mean a fuckton more after book 2.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

How is chapter after chapter about building a house so captivating? This is good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think I still find Edgar the most approachable extra-dimensional horror character, because he never loses his tone of slightly detached curiosity and interest, even when the actual things he’s considering are on the order of (I imagine) “maybe I could change the laws of physics and make everything in a 2x2km cube so heavy that it’s crushed under its own weight.”

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah same. I liked Edgar and the Captain best so far for narrative voice.

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
I just finished the second book. At first I bounced off it hard, because I really wanted more of the Captain's bizarre, ultra-terse narration. But by the end it grew on me substantially -- Edgar's relationship with Dove somehow, for all its weirdness, felt more intimate and tender than most relationships I've seen in other of media. What a *weird* series of books this is.

Personal highlight: the scene where Edgar has learned shapeshifting and considers giving himself a bigger dick, only for Dove to say that she prefers them *prehensile*.

And now I'm ten pages into the third book, and there's a unicorn! Yay!

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

I just finished the second book. At first I bounced off it hard, because I really wanted more of the Captain's bizarre, ultra-terse narration. But by the end it grew on me substantially -- Edgar's relationship with Dove somehow, for all its weirdness, felt more intimate and tender than most relationships I've seen in other of media. What a *weird* series of books this is.

Personal highlight: the scene where Edgar has learned shapeshifting and considers giving himself a bigger dick, only for Dove to say that she prefers them *prehensile*.

If you like intimate and tender (in a different way than most books do it) relationships, you're in for a treat in book 3.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

Yeah one of the funniest parts about the series is that the author only slowly lets on that "humans" are no longer actually even remotely the same species, and only interbreed across races via fancy life magic. It's also one of the testaments to the strength of the Commonweal that they're able to be actively inclusive of everyone. Wait until the later books with Graul sex.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

Chapter 11 is when you actually get a description of it, beyond the single word. I'll see if I can dig up the art of it I saw, you post when you get there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At one point Mulch gives Zora the name of Pelorios's ancestor species, which helped me get an idea of what they looked like. Also, very funny naming a unicorn Enormous.

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020

Slyphic posted:

Chapter 11 is when you actually get a description of it, beyond the single word. I'll see if I can dig up the art of it I saw, you post when you get there.

In typical Graydon fashion I had to read the paragraph three times to even start building a mental image. Even then it seems pretty wacky, the jaw's attached to their spine?

Also, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a big focus, but I'm very much enjoying the details we get on unicorn languages. Watching authors come up with bizarre grammars to show off how a species thinks (hierarchy, respect, conquest) is one of my favourite things.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished the 5th book last night and not exactly sure how to feel about all this.

These books were great and simultaneously incredibly frustrating. I both love and hate his writing style. I've read a lot of books in the past that were originally described to me as not handholding and you would have to figure out things without being explicitly told them, but nothing compares to this series. When it works it works extremely well and it is incredibly enjoyable, but there were plenty of passages that no matter how many times I reread or paused and thought about it I just couldn't parse what was actually going on or the meaning.

Definitely a series I can only recommend to certain friends. I've thought about how to describe it and the best I could come up with was "grimbright". The world is a really hosed place, but the Commonweal is inspiring in many ways and gave me a lot to chew on in regards to politics and how we organize government. The author certainly has some opinions, but drat if he hasn't mapped out his preferred society down to the smallest details.

I can't say I've ever read anything like it, and it was very refreshing to read something so different even if it made me mad often. I do find it funny that he refuses to publish through Amazon/Traditional publishing because of his beliefs but apparently Google is ok?

Edit: Is there like a cached version of the old google groups or something? I'd love to go back and read it now that I have finished. Also, does anybody have a link to the first thread?

Edit 2: I see now he has an unrelated story called The Human Dress. Is it worth reading?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 11, 2023

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
His post on the matter seems to imply that Amazon wants a lot more of his personal banking info than Google, rather than it being an ethics issue.

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020

D-Pad posted:

I both love and hate his writing style. I've read a lot of books in the past that were originally described to me as not handholding and you would have to figure out things without being explicitly told them, but nothing compares to this series. When it works it works extremely well and it is incredibly enjoyable, but there were plenty of passages that no matter how many times I reread or paused and thought about it I just couldn't parse what was actually going on or the meaning.

I read a thread recounting the first book (https://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/egalitarianism-battle-sheep-and-bad-bad-odds-lets-read-the-commonweal-series.10575/, might've been posted here already) that describes the books as making 'a heroic, but ultimately unsuccessful attempt at pretending to be written in English', which I adore.

For all the utterly obscure passages, it never really feels like the prose is slipping out of his control. The confusing parts are mostly meant to be confusing, be it because Edgar's losing track of the situation or the Captain just doesn't bother explaining concepts of basic geography to the reader. Even when things do get completely impenetrable, I honestly find it even more fascinating, in an outsider-art kind of way. Clearly it meant something to Saunders, you can feel that there's something there to understand but you just can't quite grab onto it. Like remembering the shape of a dream when you wake up, but none of the details.

I've wondered a few times if Saunders carefully lays out each turn of phrase like a mathematician, or if he just goes into a fugue state when writing and this is his natural diction. I don't know which option is more terrifying.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Every narrator has a distinct voice - diction, register, the whole lot, and there are no slips in that.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yeah, I strongly suspect that he plans them meticulously, since he plans everything else meticulously and I love him for it. That said, you can read his blog and see what his "natural" writing voice is, and there's definitely some Captain in it. The voice of The March North probably wasn't as challenging to write as you might think.

D-Pad posted:

Edit: Is there like a cached version of the old google groups or something? I'd love to go back and read it now that I have finished. Also, does anybody have a link to the first thread?

To the best of my knowledge it was obliterated beyond hope of retrieval, and even if there was a way to view it, posting it here would probably violate our pact with the author. It's a shame, because it was a fascinating resource and I regret not making more extensive notes than I did for my thought experiment of, "What would I need to do to run an RPG faithfully in this setting, or hack an existing one?"

(The answer is: a lot. A lot.)

Oh! One thing I hope he'd be fine with coming up in discussion are his book recommendations, since it has nothing to do with the Commonweal directly. I copied them down to read later, so I could post them here if we feel that's acceptable. How do we feel as a thread / mods about that?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

D-Pad posted:

Edit 2: I see now he has an unrelated story called The Human Dress. Is it worth reading?

Parts of it are good (vikings! zombies! dinosaurs!) but at its worst the prose is way more confusing than anything in the Commonweal series and it goes on just a little bit too long at the end. I'm thinking in particular of most everything after the scene with Tyl's parents ghosts

I've read it twice, the second after seeing some discussion on the mailing list about a critical detail of the setting and being bothered enough as to how I could have missed it the first time that I wanted to see how it changed things. I don't think this counts as a mailing list leak, as a sufficiently-attentive reader could and maybe should have figured it out but there are no humans in the story.

Also while looking for a non-list source of that I found this 2015 post on rec.arts.sf.written:

quote:

There's The Blessed Novel, aka :Ravens in a Morning Sky:; short, dense (kindly disposed readers used the word "neutronium") in part because I was trying to use saga conventions. (70 kwords; first full draft was just fifty, much "make this clearer" from early readers. No plans to epub.)

There's the Doorstop, aka :The Human Dress:, which is what happens when I try to write a big fluffy fantasy brick. (kindly disposed readers used the word "tungsten" to qualify "fluff"); kinda what happens when I read William Blake when happy. 313 kwords. (Recently been sent to copy-editor to see if they view this as a sensible undertaking. May well get epub'd in the fullness of time.)

I subsequently bounced off a couple sequel ideas for the Doorstop -- I could never get the shape-thief to grow a personality -- and took some advice to write to a simpler target as a means of making the resulting book easier to read.

So I tried to write a D&D novel, serial numbers lightly filed off; the result of that was about 10,000 words of something that was rapidly sliding into the twin problems of evil and divine grace, wasn't noticeably easier to read, and then it was stuck. "Stuck" stemmed from my eventually-recognized inability to believe in a just empire or a created universe even for fictive purposes. (Brian was really helpful with names for this one, and I'm kinda sad it never managed to go anywhere.)

Some years later, I wound up re-reading all those of Glen Cook's books in my possession -- Cook is sadly underestimated as a prose stylist -- at about the same time one of James Nicoll's periodic laments about the systems of government in fantasy drifted through my awareness, and I went "I could write the contra-positive of a Black Company novel. That could be interesting, and it wouldn't have to have a horrible system of government" and by the time I was done that isn't quite what I had but I had :The March North:. (81 kwords)

I was having fun with the setting, so there's :A Succession of Bad Days: (183 kwords), just now escaped into the wild, Commonweal #3 of the uncertain title (128 kwords pre-edit), and Commonweal #4 of the uncertain structure and irritating narrative recalcitrance but probably :A Mist of Grit and Splinters:.

So, nope, :The March North: is not the Doorstop, and hopefully the above unscrambles the dolorous consequences of years of book-nicknames and coy phrases on my part.

-- Graydon

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

'a heroic, but ultimately unsuccessful attempt at pretending to be written in English'

That's the phrase I keep failing to remember when trying to sell people on these books!

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Hello, bought the first book on google, downloaded the EPUB and now want to get it onto my Kindle. I have tried both of the "send to" functions and they both fail. Am I hosed?

- it worked as a mobi ... the format they dont want to support

- the epub works fine on my iPhone …

Sonderval fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 13, 2023

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

only mobi (and azw3 or whatever the name is?) works on kindle
get calibre and convert the epub to mobi

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doktor Avalanche posted:

only mobi (and azw3 or whatever the name is?) works on kindle
get calibre and convert the epub to mobi

This is the answer. Don't worry Sonderval, Calibre is free and the conversion process is trivially easy. Here's a guide! Calibre's great to have around for ebook management in general, too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kestral posted:

Oh! One thing I hope he'd be fine with coming up in discussion are his book recommendations, since it has nothing to do with the Commonweal directly. I copied them down to read later, so I could post them here if we feel that's acceptable. How do we feel as a thread / mods about that?

I wanna see the recommendations

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

Ye])

I don't see how that would be a problem. If it is graydon can tell us / me.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
So be it! Some recommended reading by Mr. Saunders, in reference to The Commonweal:

quote:

Pamela Dean, everything but particularly and especially The Dubious Hills.

Patricia McKillip's lamentably obscure SF novel Fool's Run. (McKillip is a formative influence, plausibly my primary formative influence, and I think you should read all of her works. But this one is a particular ornament to a body of work itself remarkable.)

You have to read the entire rest of the Black Company series first, and then you can read Glen Cook's Port of Shadows.

A lot of early Cherryh; The Tree of Swords and Jewels and Serpent's Reach comes particularly to mind.

The Rebsamen translation of Beowulf, if you're willing to consider honour a technology.

Of these, I've only read The Black Company and Beowulf, albeit not the Rebsamen translation; the only McKillip I've read is the Riddle-Master series, and while I'm sure there's a connection to / influence on Saunders' work somewhere in it, I can't see it. For folks who've read these, I'd be quite curious to know how you see them relating to The Commonweal!

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate the idea of "honour as a technology." The Graydon-est thing.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I read about a quarter of Pamela Dean's Dubious Hills this year. The Graydon influence is very obvious.

It's a pastoral examination of the nature of knowledge and perception and I was just not at all in the mood for that. It felt like it was going to take a fairly heavy cognitive load to follow the story but wasn't engaging me while pelting me with oblique hints at the actual nature of the world. It's been placed in my 2nd try pile for the time being.

I've got a copy of her book The Secret Country which is supposed to be more approachable in my soon-ish to-be-read pile.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I really like The Dubious Hills and I'd think that most Saunders fans would too. It's been a long-rear end time since I read The Secret Country and the sequels, I should probably fix that.

Early Cherryh is all about people in strange situations being confused by what's going on and it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd have been an influence. (now I'm thinking about the azi and the various created-to-obey-the-sorcerer races in the Commonweal....)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

So be it! Some recommended reading by Mr. Saunders, in reference to The Commonweal:

Of these, I've only read The Black Company and Beowulf, albeit not the Rebsamen translation; the only McKillip I've read is the Riddle-Master series, and while I'm sure there's a connection to / influence on Saunders' work somewhere in it, I can't see it. For folks who've read these, I'd be quite curious to know how you see them relating to The Commonweal!

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate the idea of "honour as a technology." The Graydon-est thing.

You want mid and late period McKillip for weird magic and weirder prose. Ombria in the Shadows, Od Magic and The Bards of The Bone Plain might be the best places to start.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

So, in book 2, there's a bit where Creek people mention that they have some sort of two axis chart for romances and I have to wonder if this is a Homestuck reference (which would make Dove and so on the trolls, I guess?) or if Graydon accidentally reinvented Homestuck's quadrant system

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There’s more details later, and there are intimations that there are actually even more axes of gender for the Creeks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Greydon as a Homestuck fan would be about the most against type thing I could imagine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

being a vriska in the commonweal is punishable by immediate summary execution

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

eke out posted:

being a vriska in the commonweal is punishable by immediate summary execution

It really is a utopia in the making, isn't it?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
so what massive fanfiction AU does graydon secretly write?

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
Just finished the third book in a daze. The latter half feels denser than #2, but that might just be my mind failing to keep up. Some highlights:

The chapter narrated by Pelorios. Felt like something by Joyce, achingly beautiful and teetering wildly on the edge of incomprehensibility. I thought the romance was very sweet.

The shape of peace talks!

Ed and Dove and Constant taking so long to get judged that even Halt is worried, because they engaged the shape of peace in philosophical discussion. Of course they did.

What a strange series this is. Now to see what book #4 is like. From what I've heard it's even more dense, which is exciting :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So what's the deal with the whole forum thing of there being multiple Graydons? Like I'm not gonna doxx him here, but the guy isn't hard to find, and what I can gather about him tracks pretty well with the politics and overall content of the Commonweal books.