Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Thread title reference: Canadian radio station plays Killing in the Name of on repeat for 10+ hours after DJs get fired

Other current events:
Everything still sucks
The Supreme Court is nakedly eviscerating rights and precedent
Trump tried to choke out a member of his Secret Service detail because they wouldn't let him coup the gov't (march with the rally rioters to the captiol)
The 1/6 committee is still doing its thing for an audience of 1 (the AG)

Your moment of reprieve:
The NWS station in Little Rock has an outdoor cat named Tarmac
https://twitter.com/nwslittlerock/status/1537313786146828288?s=21&t=2DpJCUUXi0NFh47QhVKhrQ

Oh and its a holiday weekend. Happy 4th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Happy 4th Goons, don't gently caress around with fireworks and lose fingat.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome to July! Suns Out HIMRS Out.

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1542102880945160193?s=21&t=OSdbEOWMEiKZhHMFcl1jxA

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
July 4th is cancelled along with your freedom. Pour one out for the future.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

M_Gargantua posted:

July 4th is cancelled along with your freedom. Pour one out for the future.

Does this at least mean no fuxking fireworks right outside my apt for the next 3 months?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Happy 4th hope you're putting that 16 cents you saved on last year's BBQ to good use.

Bold prediction for back half of year - rights are further eroded, Dems do nothing to fight it, give 20b more to Ukraine then campaign on that

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Canada Day today, gonna make some poutine for dinner and drink a bunch of Moosehead this evening.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Canada Day today, gonna make some poutine for dinner and drink a bunch of Moosehead this evening.

You got your tux on?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rHFP0OtTE

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The end of Roe and Cumtown in the same month :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXL_3FwVBlg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I tried listening to cumtown a few times and I just couldn't find much to like about it personally. Every time I listened, I cringed on a scale not seen since the last time I had to sit through an episode of the office.

Was that the point of their schtick?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A while back, there was a big bit about Eric Adams (NY Mayor) being the future of the Democratic Party. I didn't really get it, but now I do.

He doesn't actually do loving anything!

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1542820773315973123

quote:

On June 27, the same day Adams said his response to a citywide lifeguard shortage would be a public-awareness campaign about drowning, the Post published an interview in which he boasted about a new system he had devised for the police to track homeless encampments. It’s a shared Google doc.

also I will laugh every time I see "fingat" used

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

A while back, there was a big bit about Eric Adams (NY Mayor) being the future of the Democratic Party. I didn't really get it, but now I do.

He doesn't actually do loving anything!

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1542820773315973123

also I will laugh every time I see "fingat" used

Reminder this idiot decide to be paid in bitcoin and to get other city employees to do the same.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Reminder this idiot decide to be paid in bitcoin and to get other city employees to do the same.

He was paid a regular check and then bought crypto with his first 3 checks. He was never paid in crypto specifically.

Though he's a politician and in general that means he's full of poo poo so he probably never bought crypto at all.

E: And that radio station thing was an obvious format change. If an actual fired DJ started playing RATM it wouldn't have been the radio edit, that's for drat sure.

I'm more of a Sleep Now In The Fire guy anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 1, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He was paid a regular check and then bought crypto with his first 3 checks. He was never paid in crypto specifically.

Though he's a politician and in general that means he's full of poo poo so he probably never bought crypto at all.

Oh wow that’s even dumber. Since you’re removing the protective barrier of the money being real and having value, as opposed to just getting it as worthless in the first place.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. Adams isn't exactly known for being the sharpest bowling ball.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I tried listening to cumtown a few times and I just couldn't find much to like about it personally. Every time I listened, I cringed on a scale not seen since the last time I had to sit through an episode of the office.

The show itself sucks you gotta listen to curated clips of good bits.

Steven Segal and Bernie Town Hall come to mind.

You have to have some degree of too onlineness to know what they’re joking about for a lot of the jokes to land, like the Bernie Town Hall bit was a riff when that one white GOP guy accidentally posted a “as a black man” comment on his main account.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 1, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Watch: Georgia sheriff and city sergeant threaten to arrest each other

https://twitter.com/BrendanKeefe/status/1542947231728373760

quote:

The Towns County Sheriff’s Office and the Hiawassee Police Department have been in an ongoing dispute over Hiawassee officers pursuing violators and suspects outside the city limits. Hiawassee is a city in Towns County, on Lake Chatuge near the North Carolina border.

As an elected official, the sheriff answers only to the voters of Towns County. The sergeant answers to the city police chief who in turn answers to the mayor. While the two agencies use the same dispatch center, Towns County 911, they do not have any overlapping chain of command.

putting the dick in jurisdiction

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

putting the dick in jurisdiction

the long, uh, "arm", of the law

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
On the flipside SCOTUS declaring tribal land sovereignty isn't real means that there's a very high possibility cop on cop violence will soon be a popular new attraction in the midwest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

On the flipside SCOTUS declaring tribal land sovereignty isn't real means that there's a very high possibility cop on cop violence will soon be a popular new attraction in the midwest.

You know instead of the Nazi Germany future for the country it's instead going to go full imperial Japan with a god emperor and service branches fighting each other for control over petty fiefdoms.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I knew a firefighter in the Florida panhandle who while responding to a highway crash got arrested by a country sheriff's deputy. The deputy refused to listen to their orders as incident commander and arrested them when they tried to order the deputy off the scene. Charges were dropped when the fire chief went it the highway patrol to swear out a warrant against the deputy for their trespass on the incident scene.

Sadly it never reached French levels of firefighters donning their bunker gear and setting it on fire to go brawl with cops.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

You know instead of the Nazi Germany future for the country it's instead going to go full imperial Japan with a god emperor and service branches fighting each other for control over petty fiefdoms.

Nazi Germany had that too!

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nazi Germany had that too!

In those scenarios, who were the people who saw it coming, thought it was wrong, and acted to stop it?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lake of Methane posted:

In those scenarios, who were the people who saw it coming, thought it was wrong, and acted to stop it?

The SDP and KDP were the only political parties that pretty consistently fought the right relative to any other political organization, and the even the KDP at times allied with the far right against the center and center-left while the SDP allied with the center against the left so meh. The KDP was hamstrung by it's connection to the Soviet Union and Stalin using it as a strategic tool while the SDP severely hurt it's credibility and ability to function as a anti-fascist force during WWI after a split of it's leadership narrowly choosing to support the state and then after during the various revolutions by trying to appease liberals by selling out leftist paramilitaries. The deaths of Luxemburg and Liebknecht, legit radicals that were anti-Stalinist but credible with many members of both the SDP and KDP, also really hurt chances at left unity.

As far people who took direct action that could have been effective it ranged all over the political spectrum. Pre-Nazi Germany had a weird reverse of the American state's armed forces allegiances, where the military was a bastion of the right wing while the law enforcement generally backed centrists and liberals, and in some cases acted on behalf of leftist factions against the military or right wing paramilitaries.

And the two plots that came closest to successfully killing Hitler were the military coup lead by Prussian Officers who mostly hard right wing as well as a lone wolf, Georg Elser who almost assassinated Hitler entirely by himself without any apparent connection to any group.

There's not really a parallel to the GOP or Dems since both equivalent constituencies were split into totally different parties and there was never any real unity besides very fragile coalitions between the right, center and left as a whole until the Nazis just took over. Plus Catholic vs Protestant was a big things while there isn't an easy way to equivocate African-American and Hispanic people with Jews or other Germany minorities that would make any useful parallels I can think of outside of examining fascist rhetoric.

I think the political structure of Spain is a much better analogy for the United States than Nazi Germany as far as useful parallels.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 1, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wasn’t that codified in treaties? Did we just really poo poo on all tribal treaties?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crab Dad posted:

Wasn’t that codified in treaties? Did we just really poo poo on all tribal treaties?

Pretty much national tradition

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

Yup!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Crab Dad posted:

:allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Crab Dad posted:

And yes, treaties are explicitly a higher authority than the Supreme Court. It was that ruling that finally got me to decide that the court has no legitimacy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crab Dad posted:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/06/29/act-conquest-native-americans-condemn-scotus-tribal-sovereignty-ruling

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Crab Dad posted:

No, they just poo poo on centuries of well established federal law. The tribes never had jurisdiction over non-Indians on Indian land. It was always the federal government that had jurisdiction over non-Indians that committed crimes against Indians on Indian land.
As a practical matter, that has meant that Indians who are crime victims of non-Indians were hosed unless it's a rape, child sex abuse, murder or particularly violent assaults because the Feds won't prosecute otherwise. The Feds don't have the manpower, willpower or inclination to reach that deeply into the non-sexy crimes that make up 90% of the crimes that are actually committed against regular people, Indian and non-Indian.

Rewriting the law was either the Tribes and the Federal executive's decision to make, or the Federal legislature's decision to make. It was not within the SupCt's power or authority to rewrite the law.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's really starting to feel like the last two years (of plague lockdown, lol) were the pause at the top of the rollercoaster, and this year we're really getting into it :toot:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

listen the the youtube vid where they read r/smalldickproblems. otherwise they're a little grating for a full hour

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

listen the the youtube vid where they read r/smalldickproblems. otherwise they're a little grating for a full hour

I think my tolerance for podcast stupidity is This Is Important. I was listening to the Adam Conover podcast about crypto this week, and the guest just oozed gooniness. I typically like Conover's schtick, he's not awful, but that guest just gooned the gently caress out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh poo poo yeah that was good

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1542936979716857856?t=VLdZUEX8cI9JAFVtabwz2g&s=01

HELL YEAH when people said we need Joe because he knows the system and can get things done they weren't wrong!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

some feel good on this July 1st
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Yo happy Canada day to our friends in Canada BTW,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

maffew buildings posted:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1542936979716857856?t=VLdZUEX8cI9JAFVtabwz2g&s=01

HELL YEAH when people said we need Joe because he knows the system and can get things done they weren't wrong!

Oh wow. A lifetime judge appointment for a patronage position prosector appointment. Great deal!