Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Vic Morrow and the two child actor’s horrific deaths not withstanding.

I know it’s Spielberg and I know he was going for a fantasy segment during the movie, but “Kick the Can” is a terrible choice for an episode remake. Who gives a poo poo about old people being young again? I mean, the original episode itself isn’t even that fondly remembered or on any “best episodes” lists, is it? I loving love Scatman Crothers, but I think his talent was wasted on this one. What a whimsical bore.

If Spielberg wanted a fantasy episode sans horror elements to work with, something like “The Night of the Meek” or “The After Hours” would have been a much better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I enjoyed it the first time when it was called Cocoon. Well, that’s a lie. I’ve never watched Cocoon or any segment of the Twilight Zone movie besides the Vic Morrow one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Joe Dante’s segment is the best one in the movie, right?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the 2022 remake of the TZ movie, the guy pulls out his phone and livestreams the gremlin on the side of the plane.

However, he uses some slurs to describe the gremlin, resulting in his stream being pulled. The rest of the segment is him screaming that he's locked out of his account and getting into a series of fights with other passengers and an attendant.

The twist is the gremlin on the wing is trying to convince the other gremlins to stop screwing with the plane and come look at this guy going randomly crazy the entire flight, but when they come and look he's just sitting there doing nothing.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Sorry OP i haven’t seen it I mostly play video games

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

runnypoops posted:

Sorry OP i haven’t seen it I mostly play video games

The episode where the former Hollywood actress sits inside all day, watching her old movies except it's set in the not so distant future and it's a washed up twitch streamer.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Joe Dante’s segment is the best one in the movie, right?

:agreed:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I thought I made a decent effort thread this time :(

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

TZ:TM really has three good bits. Dan Ackroyd at the beginning, Jon Lithgow on the plane, and Dan Ackroyd at the end.

Vic Morrow's sequence is ok if you ignore the real world events surrounding it, but really heavy handed, and I never dug Joe Dante's bit, too cartoonish.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
recycle or kiss my can!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I liked the one where the bad guys were suburban Americans, really was very prescient.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

You Are A Elf posted:

Vic Morrow and the two child actor’s horrific deaths not withstanding.

I know it’s Spielberg and I know he was going for a fantasy segment during the movie, but “Kick the Can” is a terrible choice for an episode remake. Who gives a poo poo about old people being young again? I mean, the original episode itself isn’t even that fondly remembered or on any “best episodes” lists, is it? I loving love Scatman Crothers, but I think his talent was wasted on this one. What a whimsical bore.

If Spielberg wanted a fantasy episode sans horror elements to work with, something like “The Night of the Meek” or “The After Hours” would have been a much better choice.

Considering this movie actually got people killed, I can understand Spielberg wanting to just make a whimsical fantasy tale to lighten the mood.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Twilight Zone 2022 season 1 episode 7: a vtuber slowly turns into her anime avatar as she loses her grip on reality

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bossy lady posted:

Twilight Zone 2022 season 1 episode 7: a vtuber slowly turns into her anime avatar as she loses her grip on reality

The twilight zone revival on Paramount+ was loving bad. All the writers were high on their own farts. The original series is still a master class on how to write those types of shows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jose Oquendo posted:

The twilight zone revival on Paramount+ was loving bad. All the writers were high on their own farts. The original series is still a master class on how to write those types of shows.

Oh for sure, ep one has Kumail Nanjiani as a stand up who can erase people if he complains about them, that’s it no twist or surprises and somehow went an hour. Scrolling through the list of other eps I only saw the first 3, were any of these good? It’s telling that whoever was writing the summaries for Wikipedia stopped putting in effort near the end of season 2.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PeterCat posted:

TZ:TM really has three good bits. Dan Ackroyd at the beginning, Jon Lithgow on the plane, and Dan Ackroyd at the end.

Vic Morrow's sequence is ok if you ignore the real world events surrounding it, but really heavy handed, and I never dug Joe Dante's bit, too cartoonish.

Ignoring the tragedy (as hosed as it was) I actually really enjoyed this segment. It is very heavy-handed but there is something cathartic about watching this massive piece of poo poo racist get hunted down by Nazis for being Jewish (despite being white) among other groups. It's total "how would you like it?" kind of moralizing for kids but given current events it feels right to see it now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chill your eyes out old man, lmao

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When you say "kick the can", are you talking about the story from the movie, or the guy with the two kids and the helicopter?

hey ooo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The worst Twilight Zone is the New Outer Limits that launched in the 90s.

bossy lady posted:

Season 2, Episode 19: A massive otaku becomes obsessed with having his anime waifu dream girl come to life. When she does, he becomes increasingly horrified by the physical reality of having his fantasy made real. The end features the vtuber anime avatar girl making a cameo, being held in a government lab.

edit: Sorry. This was actually part of the Outer Limits 2022 reboot where they're still trying to shared universe their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

AHH F/UGH posted:

When you say "kick the can", are you talking about the story from the movie, or the guy with the two kids and the helicopter?

hey ooo

post/username/avatar hat trick