Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Fourth of July is in the rearview mirror, which means that it's time to talk FANTASY FOOTBALL again! I've stolen most of this from the 2020 thread, which stole it from Beer's 2019 thread.

It's bad and you shouldn't play it!

2021 Thread

Free League Hosting Services
  • Sleeper: Gunning for the #1 spot. A dedicated fantasy football platform that has lots of pretty colors and makes team management easy to use. It also has some really weird stuff like mascots that I'm sure they don't want anymore. My preferred platform because it's so drat easy to use.
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It also hasn't been updated since Matthew Berry had a full head of hair.
  • CBS: One of the old-school free league sites There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: I like Yahoo! the best, but a lot of people complain about their interface being clunky.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, but it's awful. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
  • Fantrax: A lot of people have been complaining that MFL sucks but is the only option for salary keeper leagues. Don't use Fantrax if you can help it, it was a nice in-between from MFL to Sleeper but its time is gone.

Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league website and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year. The insanely specific user interface is usually quite overwhelming at first. If you're running a redraft league, this is a bit like using an uzi to open a beer can. Too much power for what you need.

Useful Free Resources
  • Football Absurdity Goon-run fantasy football site that focuses on auction strategies and hosts Beersheets.
  • NBC Rotoworld Sports Edge: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally, I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.

Best Stat Resources (Friends Don't Let Friends Use PFF)
I took a break from writing a metric poo poo ton of player profiles to make the OP. These are the resources I use most to get information on players.
  • Pro Football Reference: The Mac Daddy of football stat sites. They're dipping their toe in advanced stats but their data there isn't the best. Stathead is a great resource for running queries to find the player splits to prove your point but it costs money.
  • PlayerProfiler.com: An extremely slick interface that lets you look at a player to get basically all the information you might need in an easily readable package. It charts stuff like PFF but uses it for a fantasy football slant. The owner is insanely brash but the site is A+. It has a pay option that lets you run (easy to use) queries to get the stats in spreadsheet format instead of player-by-player. That's some real sicko poo poo though (it's me I'm sicko)
  • BRotoFantasy.com: Has free tools that gain you access to other advanced stats. I particularly like Rush Yyards Over Expectation per attempt.
  • DynastyLeagueFootball: Has some great tools after purchasing FFStatistics a few years ago. Kind of starting to go by the wayside but there's no better site for historical week-to-week rankings or splits data.
  • Sharp Football Stats: Lets you find stuff like % of team pass plays in 13 personnel. Real sicko hours.

Useful Premium Resources (just copied and pasted from the 2020 iteration of this thread, not my opinions, though My Playbook is an incredibly powerful multi-league management tool.
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.

Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. Good for putting an IRL draft on a TV screen for easy reference.

ADP, Rankings and Projections

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although they get a bit repetitive and I find a lot of their opinions to be rather knee-jerk rather than insightful.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation. They also have a Fantasy Football in Five edition that is essentially a short version of the main episode.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has been my favorite podcast for years. RIP Wess.
  • ESPN Fantasy Focus Football: Small indie podcast by some guy who was an extra in Avengers once.

Twitter Follows
Here's an updated twitter list for fantasy:

Beat Writer Aggregator
@32BeatWriters

Real NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter
@rapsheet

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom - Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman - Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel - MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

The Fantasy Footballers - some people don't like them (too much fluff) but they are insanely accurate
@JasonFFL
@AndyHolloway
@ffhitman

CBS Sports
@DaveRichard - might be the nicest guy in fantasy
@JameyEisenberg - doesn't sleep
@HeathCummingssr - contrarian takes
@CTowersCBS - mix baseball/football
@AdamAizer - Trash takes

ESPN
@MikeClayNFL - The only one worth your time on their godawful analysis network
@StephaniaESPN - ok, Stephania Bell is good, too.

NFL
@GreggRosenthal - Former Rotoworld writer, great real life football knowledge
@AdamRank - Fantasy Analyst
@MarcasG - Fantasy Analyst
@MichaelFFlorio - Fantasy Analyst

NBC Sports Edge (current and former)
@LordReebs
@JoshNorris
@EvanSilva - The GOAT
@RotoPat - The guy who writes the funny Rotoworld blurbs
@CDCarter13 - FF #taeks and owning the ilbs

Yahoo!
@scott_pianowski
@AndyBehrens - boring
@LizLoza_FF
@MattHarmon_BYB - The Reception Perception guy.
@YahooNoise - Accurate/ballsy, but can take over a twitter feed

Misc. Writers/PFF Guys
@friscojosh - The Airyards Guy. Kind of an rear end in a top hat but has great WR insight
@LateRoundQB - JJ Zachariason, Editor-in-Chief at Fanduel & Numberfire
@ChrisRaybon - DFS Expert, but gives some good insight
@ScottBarrettDFB - Head PFF Fantasy Analyst, extraordinarily good info
@MikeTagliereNFL - lead NFL Writer, Fantasypros (RIP Tags)
@Allinkid - Lead Writer, The Athletic Fantasy
@4for4_John - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@TJHernandez - DFS Director, 4for4
@HarrisFootball

Introduction - lifted directly from Beer because this is all good stuff!
Fantasy football does something amazing for sports fans in that it can make any game interesting. Two 0-5 teams across the country from you squaring off? Well if you have one of their quarterbacks, you will be pounding the table and screaming at the game until they kick you out of the bar.

Basically, you put together a team of individual players from around the league, then score points based on their performance on the football field. Lots of stuff can score points, like gaining yards and catching passes, so there's room for excitement during every single play.

The cycle of an NFL week provides a great framework for fantasy football. Most fantasy leagues are set up where each player plays another every week, and whoever has the highest total once the Monday night game ends gets the win. The playoffs happen during the last few weeks of the NFL regular season (although week 17 is a severely unpopular week for fantasy championships, because playoff-bound teams often rest their best players.)

Pretty much, if you like football and watching football, you will most likely love fantasy. If you never have before, give it a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has en`ded every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Advice:
Know your drat league settings and make a plan before the draft. Does your league give a point per reception? Raise your valuation of pass catching running backs and those low-highlight receivers that get a bunch of targets. Are you in a league that gives bonus points for drafting players that are literally the worst human being? Whoever is quarterbacking for Tampa Bay should get a boost.

So many times, people sit down at a draft and ask, "is this 4 point or 6 point passing TDs?" Don't do that: If you're going to do no research beforehand, just get a Beer Sheet and follow it, that's exactly what they're invented for.

Here is a list of tips from Beer:

A very special rant about auctions: Don't take auction advice from analysts who primarily do drafts. Auctions take longer and how they go is greatly dependent upon the people involved. So analysts only have time to get in a few auctions each season, and it's usually with the same batch of other analysts they work with. This means that often the advice they give has only been shown to work a few times with a pre-set group of owners. Drunk Nerds is the best in the business at salary cap drafts.

If you're looking for some tips as a first-time auctioner, or you're wondering how the meta has shifted for this year, don't Google it. Just hit us up here in the Armchair Quarterback.

A WAY TO GET BETTER ADVICE ON KEEPERS FROM THE THREAD
Put as many rules as possible in your questions. Include league size, keeper rules (cost, how long can you keep, etc), rules (4 points for TD, PPR, etc)

Spoeank posted:

This should help get you caught up with major fantasy stuff

NFC West
Arizona
- Extended Kyler
- Re-signed Conner & Ertz
- Chase Edmonds off to Miami, replaced by Darrel Williams
- Christian Kirk to Jacksonville, traded for Hollywood Brown
- DeAndre Hopkins six game suspension for PEDs.

Los Angeles
- Lost "offensive coordinator" Kevin O'Connell (Minny)
- Odell Beckham is in the wind, might come back, who knows, recovering from torn ACL
- Robert Woods traded to Tennessee
- Allen Robinson is in
- Drafted pass catching back Kyren Williams, but he broke his foot

San Francisco
- Lost "offensive coordinator" Mike McDaniel (Miami)
- JG is all but gone
- Deebo is all but re-signed, and probably isn't rushing much anymore
- Lost two strong interior offensive linemen
- Raheem Mostert to Miami
- Elijah Mitchell missed minicamp recovering from surgery
- They drafted a third-round rookie RB (Ty Davis-Price) and WR (Danny Gray)

Seattle
- Traded Russ for Drew Lock, Noah Fant & picks
- Gerald Everett is now a Ram
- Rashaad Penny might be good now but just in case they got a third-round RB (Ken Walker) who does a lot of the same stuff

NFC North
Chicago
- Matt Nagy out, Matt Eberflus (Indy) in. New OC (Luke Getsy) spent last few years in GB offense.
Allen Robinson is gone, replaced with not-all-that-good deep threat Velus Jones
- Traded for N'KEAL HARRY, signed Byron Pringle and Equanimeous St. Brown
- They're gonna be really bad
- But lots of opportunity for Cole Kmet to get a ton of targets

Detroit
- Drafted Jameson Williams (but he's recovering from an ACL tear)
- Signed DJ Chark

Green Bay
- Traded Davante Adams to Vegas
- MVS is a Chief
- Signed Sammy Watkins, drafted Christian Watson (who is an MVS clone)
- Aaron Rodgers got an eleventy billion dollar extension

Minnesota
- Got Kevin O'Connell from L.A., best known for being near Sean McVay
- Kirk re-secured an already secured bag
- Irv Smith returning from injury, Tyler Conklin is off to the Jets

NFC East
Dallas
- Amari is a Brown
- Michael Gallup is still recovering from his ACL
- Jalen Tolbert (WR) drafted in the third round could make noise
- Tagged Dalton Schultz but no long-term deal
- Tony Pollard on the come up, but maybe Zeke's death was injury-related?

N.Y. Giants
- Snagged Brian Daboll which makes everyone want to believe Daniel Jones is fixed
- Drafted tiny Kadarius Toney (Wan'Dale Robinson) in the second round
- had ridiculously strong top of the draft in the trenches on both sides of the ball (Kayvon Thibodeaux & Evan Neal)

Philly
- Traded a first-rounder for A.J. Brown
- Pretty much it; doubling down on Jalen Hurts on offense.

Washington
- Changed their name to the Commies
- Carson Wentz in at QB
- Bad vibes around Antonio Gibson, added third-round RB Brian Robinson
- Almost lost J.D. McKissic to Buffalo
- Drafted WR Jahan Dotson in the first, baffling most people.
- Extended Scary Terry

NFC South
Atlanta
- Struck out on Deshaun Watson and it pissed off Matt Ryan so they traded him to Indy, signed Marcus Mariota and drafted Desmond Ridder in the third round. Most thought Ridder would go in the first but nobody really thought he had first-round talent.
- Calvin Ridley suspended for the season for gambling
- Russell Gage is a Buccaneer
- Traded for Bryan Edwards (WR)
- Drafted Drake London in the first round. He's big and good but who knows how it's gonna work out.
- RB room is two 30+ year old career part-timers (Cordarrelle Patterson & Damien Williams) and a fifth-round rookie (Tyler Allgeier). Allgeier is just over the like into "bruiser" on the bruiser vs plodder spectrum

Carolina
- :lol: they traded for Baker Mayfield :lol:
- Robbie Anderson keeps threatening to retire
- D'Onta Foreman is the CMC backup now.
- This is likely Matt Rhule's last stand
- Also struck out on Deshaun Watson

New Orleans
- Sean Payton retired, they brought in Dennis Allen but the new OC has been there for ages
- Michael Thomas might not have an ankle anymore
- Alvin Kamara beat the poo poo out of a guy and then played in the Pro Bowl and is looking at a six game suspension for it
- Picked up Jarvis Landry
- Lost Terron Armstead but drafted a first-round OT
- Jameis is the QB and basically the first thing Dennis Allen did was say HEY TAYSOM HILL IS A TIGHT END AND NOTHING ELSE

Tampa Bay
- Tom Brady retired then unretired, and them Bruce Arians went into the front office and they promoted Todd Bowles
- Ronald Jones is now an RB for KC, they drafted Rachaad White, who is better than RoJo
- Leonard Fournette is 5000 pounds (or not)
- Chris Godwin is injured, expected back in first 4-6 weeks of the season
- Russell Gage came over from Atlanta
- Gronk retired, they signed Kyle Rudolph
- Lost interior OL pieces (Marpet retired, Cappa off to Cincy)

AFC West
Denver
- New HC is Nathaniel Hackett from Green Bay's offense
- Got Russ for Lock and Noah Fant
- Re-signed Melvin Gordon, causing shrieks and tears from Javonte Heads everywhere
- Extended Tim Patrick

Kansas City
- Tyreek Hill to Miami, Skyy Moore (third round), MVS and JuJu into the WR corps
- RoJo replaces Darrel Williams

Las Vegas
- Got Josh McDaniels from NE as HC
- Davante Adams is a Raider
- Zay Jones is a Jag, Bryan Edwards is a Falcon
- Declined Jacobs' fifth-year option, will be FA after this year. Signed Ameer Abdullah, Brandon Bolden, and drafted Zamir White

L.A. Chargers
- Beefed up OL
- Extended Mike Williams
- Drafted Isaiah Spiller to turn flotsam and jetsam behind Ekeler into Isaiah Spiller
- Jared Cook out, Gerald Everett in

AFC North
Baltimore
- Traded Hollywood Brown to Arizona
- Getting JK Dobbins, Gus Edwards back from ACL tears (signed Mike Davis, drafted Tyler Badie)
- Got one of the steals of the draft in OC Tyler Linderbaum at 25

Cincy
- Everyone is back except CJ Uzomah is replaced by Hayden Hurst
- beefed up OL

Cleveland
- "won" Deshaun Watson sweepstakes
- Traded away Baker, traded for Jacoby Brissett and signed Josh Rosen
- Traded for Amari
- Drafted David Bell (WR) in the third round
- Austin Hooper gone, Njoku got a big extension

Pittsburgh
- Ben retired, Mitchell Trubisky likely the new QB with rookie QB Kenny Pickett sitting a year
- Drafted George Pickens (talented but a dumbass), Calvin Austin & Myles Boykin in at WR, JuJu is out to KC
- OL still seems to be a mess
- Fifth round FB/tiny TE Connor Heyward is gonna be a lil tank man and it's gonna rule

AFC East
Buffalo
- Manny Sanders is out, many thing Gabe Davis is gonna take a big step forward
- made a concerted effort to add pass-catching RBs: tried to get JD McKissic, signed Duke Johnson and drafted Dalvin Cook's brother James in the second round
- Cole Beasley replaced by Jamison Crowder
- OJ Howard in to steal targets from Dawson Knox

Miami
- New HC Mike McDaniel is really weird in a funny way and has been in Kyle Shanahan's back pocket for like a decade
- Added: Terron Armstead (LT), Tyreek Hill & Cedrick Wilson (WR), and Chase Edmonds, Raheem Mostert & Sony Michel (RB)
- Teddy 2 Gloves is waiting in the wings if Tua stumbles
- Traded DeVante Parker to N.E.

New England
- Drafted depth RB (Pierre Strong & Kevin Harris). I like Strong but he isn't draftable.
- Drafted Tyquan Thornton (WR) who probably isn't going to matter
- Traded for DeVante Parker

N.Y. Jets
- Lost Jamison Crowder to Buffalo
- Drafted Garrett Wilson as the first WR off the board
- Drafted Breece Hall as the first RB off the board
- Breece should have immediate fantasy impact, who knows if Wilson will
- Michael Carter isn't going to get enough above-replacement level snaps to matter.
- Zach Wilson banged his mom's best friend and his girlfriend is now with Dax Milne

AFC South
Houston
- They signed Marlon Mack and drafted a less athletic Marlon Mack (Dameon Pierce)
- drafted John Metchie (WR)
- Redoubled commitment to Davis Mills for 2022.

Indy
- Wentz traded to Washington, traded for Matt Ryan. BDN is behind him.
- Drafted Alec Pierce in the second round. I like him.
- T.Y. Hilton is off to the nether realm.

Jacksonville
- Signed Zay Jones, Christian Kirk and Evan Engram
- Travis Etienne should be back from Lisfranc
- James Robinson tore Achilles & Cam Akers' accelerated timeline broke everyone's brain. He won't be back in any meaningful way
- Signed Brandon Scherff from Washington

Tennessee
- Traded for Robert Woods
- Traded away AJ Brown, used pick to trade for Treylon Burks who is as close to AJ Brown as you could get in this draft. Unfortunately, Burks has asthma and has struggled so far
- Hassan Haskins is the backup RB there but more like Assan Asskins IMO (he's bad)

That should be everything. If it isn't then make your own OP next time!

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
BEERSHEETS ARE AVAILABLE

https://footballabsurdity.com/beersheet-request-form/

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 24, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Excellent OP, thank you Spoeank!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
mind throwing a link to last year's thread in the OP for reference? Thanks for the new one!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Poque posted:

mind throwing a link to last year's thread in the OP for reference? Thanks for the new one!

Added to the OP!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thanks papa

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Good thread title. Solid OP.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What’s the status on Darwin Thompson? Hurry my draft is in 30 minutes!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is the year of Darwin Thompson

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

This is the year of Darwin Thompson Justyn Ross

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got a chance to 3peat in one of my dynasty leagues this year!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Made the playoffs in all 3 redraft leagues last year and took exactly zero championships. Hell yes I'm bitter.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 8, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I won my first ever dual championship last year thanks to my close friend JaMarr Chase.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I won a redraft league by having a roster full of chargers, Herbert, Ekeler, Keenan Allen, and Gerald Everett lol.

My playoff MVP in both leagues was Rashaad Penny

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Guy didn't even add his own great fantasy football podcast to the OP. That's just selfless.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can anyone tell me where I can go to see a sample of default salaries for dynasty leagues in MFL? I'm just trying to determine if some positions are more expensive than others generally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

Can anyone tell me where I can go to see a sample of default salaries for dynasty leagues in MFL? I'm just trying to determine if some positions are more expensive than others generally.

Depends hugely on your scoring, contract lengths if you have them, salary caps if you have them, and more... and there's not really a "default" scoring for dynasty, it's all over the place. At least, there wasn't five years ago when I was trying to find the same sort of thing for our league.

I think salaries will probably evolve organically within each league depending on each owner's analysis and the group meta regardless. In our league, some positions (elite young WRs, for example) are much higher salaried than others, but that's partially due to several monster bids on free agents over the last few years, and maybe a perception of longevity and/or scarcity at the position.

Here's our league if you'd like to pore over current rosters, with the caveat that nobody's been allowed to drop players since a week after the superbowl:
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2022/options?L=79286&O=07

We have a $250 salary cap and salaries go up by 10% (minimum $1) annually, and we don't have contracts to limit how long you can hold a player.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MacheteZombie posted:

I won a redraft league by having a roster full of chargers, Herbert, Ekeler, Keenan Allen, and Gerald Everett lol.
Wasnt Everett on the Seahawks last year?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wasnt Everett on the Seahawks last year?

Lol oh so he was. My bad I was just looking at my roster on yahoo earlier because I knew I had a decent number of Chargers last year.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One of my leagues goes through keepers in a 2-1-0 format where we keep two players the first year, one player the next, then a clean slate. There are no penalties or rounds lost when keeping players.

Running this by y’all as a thought experiment: What if you could trade players for draft picks (or other players) in keeper years after the league year and keep your keepers BUT this would only be allowed after you paid your league dues for the upcoming season? Basically this would allow you to gain draft picks for assets that you would lose anyway when keepers are locked in and it would ensure that someone doesn’t dump their team and then not pay league dues for that year.

With the caveat: If you trade draft picks, you have to trade an equal number of picks so that no one ends up with more draft picks than the software could use. So if you bring in a first rounder, you'd have to send out a third (or whatever round) round pick as well. That way at the draft everyone has the same number of keepers and draft picks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Guy didn't even add his own great fantasy football podcast to the OP. That's just selfless.

This year alone they've had Micharl Fabiano and JT O'Sullivan as guests. Just last week I tuned in and they were talking shop with Heath Cummings.

It's really leveled up since they dropped that one dead-weight cohost last year

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

One of my leagues goes through keepers in a 2-1-0 format where we keep two players the first year, one player the next, then a clean slate. There are no penalties or rounds lost when keeping players.

Running this by y’all as a thought experiment: What if you could trade players for draft picks (or other players) in keeper years after the league year and keep your keepers BUT this would only be allowed after you paid your league dues for the upcoming season? Basically this would allow you to gain draft picks for assets that you would lose anyway when keepers are locked in and it would ensure that someone doesn’t dump their team and then not pay league dues for that year.

With the caveat: If you trade draft picks, you have to trade an equal number of picks so that no one ends up with more draft picks than the software could use. So if you bring in a first rounder, you'd have to send out a third (or whatever round) round pick as well. That way at the draft everyone has the same number of keepers and draft picks.

We trade draft picks in our keeper league. I thought every league did :shrug: there’s not much to it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RCarr posted:

We trade draft picks in our keeper league. I thought every league did :shrug: there’s not much to it.

You can trade draft picks, but I’m talking more of trading last year’s assets that you won’t have on your team after the limited number of keepers lock.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The 2022 theme of salary cap drafts, at least as the land lies now, is Savings into Speculation.

There are a number of talented WR2s who have had significant upgrades this year: an offensive scheme improvement (Sutton, Jeudy, Gage) or a QB experience boost (Robinson, Smith-Schuster, Mooney, etc) or a brunch-esque marriage to their college QB (Hollywood Brown and... I think that's about it). These high-floor, high-ceiling WRs number in the double digits. If you wait until the WR2 market crashes you can get 4 of those guys for about $30 total (many times even less), which is like $10-$20 less than other managers are paying for a single top 6 WR1. The WR2 Market Always Crashes. Don't pay up for a high end WR, just spend that future savings elsewhere. Seriously: last year I did 120 mocks with all/almost all humans and a top 24 WR went for 50% of listed value or less in 119 of them (most of the time it was WR18 or better). The one time it didn't, I was streaming the draft on Twitch and was constantly declaring "huh this is going to be that one unicorn time the market isn't going to crash." Sadly I didn't think to archive that footage but it's not rocket surgery: Lots of managers were sandbagging and not competing for high-end players. This year WR2s are deeper than ever: Increased supply leads to decreased prices. I'm seeing the market crash around WR14 in 10-team and WR16 in 12-team salary cap drafts.

The QB market has finally descended the point where many salary-cap vets were saying it should have been years ago. Maybe Josh Allen might fetch mid-$30s but a top QB you love will fall into your hands for less than $20.

The RBs are less top-heavy than in previous years. Jonathan Taylor scored the lowest season total of fantasy points of any #1 overall RB since Devonta Freeman 6 years ago. Remember being excited to draft 2017 Devonta Freeman? No, because nobody was. Austin Ekeler aside, the next 3 guys (Henry, Cook, CMC) have injury and workload concerns, after that it's the uncertain change in fantasy-relevant offense for Najee and Chubb. So I'm finding more and more managers competing for back-end top 12 guys, which drives their prices higher but not nearly as high as the $60 we are used to auto-paying for our RB1s.

So what do we do with all these savings? Depth and TE positional advantage. I've already outlined the deep WR2 strategy I'm advocating this year. I'd also like to mention that Travis Kelce is regularly going for well under $50. Travis Kelce has finished as a top 2 TE every year since Javonte Williams was a sophomore... in high school. And there's no Tyreek in KC this year.

In addition, there are some awesomely "boring" RB2s in '22. If you've ever tuned into my salary cap streams or articles you'll know that I use "boring" as a compliment: Low ceiling lowers demand which increases value. Josh Jacobs has Drake and a new guy who should vulture goal line work. Yet the Raiders' scheme virtually dictates Jacobs will get 1,000 yards and some good pass-catching. But because his ceiling is so low, Jacobs regularly goes for $20-$25, even in my 12-team (all or almost all human) mocks. That's a killer price for a third RB, let alone one who might start next to your RB1. Ezekiel Elliott, Saquon Barkley, Travis Etienne, JK Dobbins, Conner, Mitchell, Akers, and Gibson regularly go for $15-$25 if nominated late enough. It's easier than ever to bench a couple of soild RB2s for byes and injury depth.

A deep, solid RB and WR bench, huge advantage at tight end, a top 6 QB, and a reasonable shot at the next year's Cooper Kupp/Ja'marr Chase can all be yours if you just time it right.

One more thing: People are losing their poo poo about Buffalo's defense. It makes no sense and I'm just choosing to find it hilarious, but Buffalo's defense has gone for as much as 7 and the mode is $4 and the mode has happened 50% of the time. 50% of the time people are winning Buffalo's pretty-good-but-not-all-world defense for $4 freaking dollars. Not really something to strategize around, it's just something that makes me laugh, alongside nominating DeShaun Watson and Rob Gronkowski early if there is one bot in the draft.

I'll chime in with any market trends or developments as the preseason picks up. I've also had interest in a startup redraft salary cap league, so I'll post that here if I decide to fire it off. I love salary cap!!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 9, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What do we think of James Cook in dynasty? I look at his brother and his college yards per rush and get giddy but I'm going into the second round of my dynasty rookie (and free agents) draft and I took Breece Hall in the first.

Other availables:

Chris Olave
Jahan Dotson
Christian Watson
Marquez Valdez-Scantling
Rachaad White
John Metchie
Kenny Pickett

It's a superflex so Kenny is tempting but I already have two QBs. MVS is tearing up OTAs and I have this inkling that he's going to be the #1 WR in KC. The other rookies don't really excite me.

We start one WR, one RB and three flexes.

never loving mind James Cook was snaked from me in the pick right before mine. God now I know he's going to be a star.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 9, 2022

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Silly Burrito posted:

You can trade draft picks, but I’m talking more of trading last year’s assets that you won’t have on your team after the limited number of keepers lock.

I've seen keeper leagues do something similar. I think it makes for a more dynamic league and keeps losing teams engaged.

kiimo posted:

What do we think of James Cook in dynasty? I look at his brother and his college yards per rush and get giddy but I'm going into the second round of my dynasty rookie (and free agents) draft and I took Breece Hall in the first.

Other availables:

Chris Olave
Jahan Dotson
Christian Watson
Marquez Valdez-Scantling
Rachaad White
John Metchie
Kenny Pickett

It's a superflex so Kenny is tempting but I already have two QBs. MVS is tearing up OTAs and I have this inkling that he's going to be the #1 WR in KC. The other rookies don't really excite me.

never loving mind James Cook was snaked from me in the pick right before mine. God now I know he's going to be a star.

He's a dynasty darling

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Other availables:

Chris Olave
Jahan Dotson
Christian Watson
Marquez Valdez-Scantling
Rachaad White
John Metchie
Kenny Pickett

James Cook is this years CEH in my opinion. Him going that early is bonkers to me.

I'm assuming you made your pick but I'd definitely go Olave, Dotson before Cook. That seems very early for MVS too, even though I'm a huge MVS truther.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

In superflex I'd be taking Pickett before any of the other options on that list even if he's extremely uninspiring

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CEH is slow as poo poo. At least Cook is fast.

Cook averaged 6.5 ypc in college and 9.4 yards per catch and didn't drop ONE loving PASS in 78 targets. Zeus ate up all the usage plays at Georgia too and has the two torn ACLs to show for it.

But yeah I took MVS because I dislike Dotson and Olave for various dynasty reasons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

I dislike Dotson and Olave for various dynasty reasons.
Can I ask about why you dislike Dotson? I'm not big on Olave either, especially on the Saints, but I liked Dotson's tape that I've seen.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can I ask about why you dislike Dotson? I'm not big on Olave either, especially on the Saints, but I liked Dotson's tape that I've seen.

Is Washington ever getting it's poo poo remotely together and Scary Terry have me concerned about his fantasy viability.

Edit: for the record I like Dotson from a talent standpoint

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 9, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's all situational and has everything to do with Washington. Carson Wentz is his QB, Scott Turner is his coordinator, he's in a crowded receiver room and if someone is lucky enough to get a pass from Wentz I think it will be McLaurin or Curtis Samuel.

Dotson runs great routes and has good hands though I could be wrong.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

In superflex I'd be taking Pickett before any of the other options on that list even if he's extremely uninspiring

What about Ridder

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

kiimo posted:

What about Ridder

Might consider him over Metchie but none of the others. I think Atlanta will draft a QB high next year.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Yeah. Especially if you only have 2 QBs lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

CEH is slow as poo poo. At least Cook is fast.

Cook averaged 6.5 ypc in college and 9.4 yards per catch and didn't drop ONE loving PASS in 78 targets. Zeus ate up all the usage plays at Georgia too and has the two torn ACLs to show for it.

But yeah I took MVS because I dislike Dotson and Olave for various dynasty reasons.

Who the hell knows how it'll play out because it's fantasy after all, but man I really don't like that pick. Pickett, Cook, Olave, Dotson all look better long term than MVS, whatever warts they have, and probably better short term too. MVS is a nobody on a cheap, easy to get out of contract, in a fairly crowded pass catching room.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MVS has easily looked like the best receiver in OTAs on the Chiefs so far. He is running entire route trees instead of just deep ones like he was running in Green Bay, he has Mahomes as a quarterback even though that’s not technically an upgrade. He’s always graded out well in advance stats and somebody is going to pick up the slack for Tyreek Hill. I have Mecole Hardman and MVS now so I have two chances of having that be the guy. Juju hasn’t done poo poo in camp or this offseason so far and it’s really hard for rookies to get going in Andy Reid schemes so it might be a while for Skyy Moore.

You could be right but MVS looks better from a Chiefs insider point of you than it does from the outside probably. Or maybe I’m just a homer. Anyway it’s just a rookie draft second rounder

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

kiimo posted:

What about Ridder
I am on board the Ridder train. I think he's going to get a legit shot to start games this year and he's legitimately talented enough to keep it. I feel he's in a tier above Willis/Corral as he's significantly better at progressing through his reads and limiting bad decisions. He had the second strongest arm at the Senior Bowl after Willis and I think his accuracy issues can be addressed by making him more consistent mechanically. I think that's work that can be done with legit NFL coaches and Jordan Palmer (who he is already working with). With him having plus mobility as a tactical scrambler, I think his skillset is pretty similar to Tannehill's, who Arthur Smith had a lot of success with back on the Titans.

I took him at the 1.11 in my rookie draft ahead of the likes of Jahan Dotson and Christian Watson.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

MVS has easily looked like the best receiver in OTAs on the Chiefs so far. He is running entire route trees instead of just deep ones like he was running in Green Bay, he has Mahomes as a quarterback even though that’s not technically an upgrade. He’s always graded out well in advance stats and somebody is going to pick up the slack for Tyreek Hill. I have Mecole Hardman and MVS now so I have two chances of having that be the guy. Juju hasn’t done poo poo in camp or this offseason so far and it’s really hard for rookies to get going in Andy Reid schemes so it might be a while for Skyy Moore.

You could be right but MVS looks better from a Chiefs insider point of you than it does from the outside probably. Or maybe I’m just a homer. Anyway it’s just a rookie draft second rounder

Totally fair, I've paid no attention to off season reports. And yeah it's just a 2nd so nbd :hai: Hopefully I'm wrong, I have MVS in a couple dynasty leagues (but he was on the bubble for cuts!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

I'm right there with you. MVS didn't drop any passes in 2021 either. And his catches and yards would have gone way, way up had Rodgers been able to find him deep. I think we were playing the Lions (I'm a Packer fan) and Rodgers missed MVS on three or four deep balls in just a series or two - and judging from Rodgers' reaction afterward it looked like he knew they were all his fault as well. The fact he was only ever a burner in Green Bay I think more had to do with Davante being as dominant as he was and just not really getting the reps he needed to make the next step. Rodgers has said this offseason that "80% of plays were drawn up with Davante in mind" that doesn't leave a whole lot of meat on the bone for a guy like MVS trying to flesh out his route tree.

I'm not sold he can be a true WR1 on the Chiefs but I'm hopeful he can become a player similar to Tyler Lockett was with Russ. I think JuJu could step up and be the guy in KC but after getting MVS at an ADP of 150-200 all summer in best ball I'm really committed to him at this point.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 9, 2022