Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Notables time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Brooklyn New Jersey Nets (Algund Eenboom) have signed Seth Curry for $60.

(The next highest bid was $0.)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Portland Trailblazers (rivetz) have signed Anfernee Simons for $12.

(The next highest bid was $1.)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

so close but so far.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Chicago Bulls (xbilkis) have signed Desmond Bane for $77.

(The next highest bid was $0.)

The Bulls must waive a player to be able to add Desmond Bane to their roster.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Me: I am a genius for not bidding on Seth. This game is simply too easy for me
Also me: You loving dunce. Anfernee Simons right there for the taking and you hosed it up big time. You are scum

edit: Lmao at nobody else bidding on Bane. Better safe than sorry!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Slo Mo and Nowell I'm so happy

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Portland Trailblazers (rivetz) have signed Anfernee Simons for $12.

(The next highest bid was $1.)
Wow

Lol only one bid on Bane too

Definitely this round spread us too thin but also I guess it’s the nature of it being end game and people being poor

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yessss, I wanted one of Brooks or Bane and my gamble paid off.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Los Angeles Clippers (Red Rox) have signed Pascal Siakam for $162.

(The next highest bid was $96.)

The Clippers have waived Moussa Diabate. He will be available in free agency.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'll waive Matteo Spagnolo. Rip to the guy I bid on just because the idea of an Italian basketball player was amusing to me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I like how Red Sox was so traumatized by the Kawhi situation that they bid 50 bucks more than the highest bid literally anyone could do

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Someone could have bought literally every single player up for auction on the last day and still had enough left over for Luka.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was saving up for Simons for awhile before I decided he’d be out of my range and bid some other guys. I could’ve got him! I know he doesn’t defend but I think he might be the new best deal in the league.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

And that's it for bidding! Thanks for everybody taking part, but the game isn't over!

Anybody who needs to PM me player(s) to drop, please do so.

Within the hour, I will explain how the next few days will go including how waivers will work.

Sorry, today is my MJ Game as commish. Horrible tooth pain and also dealing with flu-like symptoms, yeesh

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Deadbeat Dad posted:

And that's it for bidding! Thanks for everybody taking part, but the game isn't over!

Anybody who needs to PM me player(s) to drop, please do so.

Within the hour, I will explain how the next few days will go including how waivers will work.

Sorry, today is my MJ Game as commish. Horrible tooth pain and also dealing with flu-like symptoms, yeesh
Please be good to yourself, no one needs that stuff within the hour

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Golden State Warriors (china klay) have waived Santi Aldama and Austin Reaves. They will be available in free agency/waivers.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yessss, I wanted one of Brooks or Bane and my gamble paid off.
Ant and Sengun were my only two bids, felt good about Sengun but didn't expect em both :toot:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like how Red Sox was so traumatized by the Kawhi situation that they bid 50 bucks more than the highest bid literally anyone could do

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Red Rox holding for Kawhi was the only reason I knew how to gauge how much I would need to spend to get KD.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Fast Luck posted:

Wow some surprises there

Every single person thought "i'm not willing to pay for sexton/carmelo what he's gonna cost" lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Love Schroder and Whiteside for a dollar each. Yeah they're both weirdos, and no you don't want to play either major minutes, but they're really drat good for second/third string guys

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm at QUAKE BY THE LAKE so I'll just post who I'm waiving in the thread (but also pm you) when I get home dbd

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Chicago Bulls have waived Matteo Spagnolo. They will be available in free agency/waivers.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

• Teams will have until 9:00 PM EST tomorrow to complete waivers. You will PM me your list of players you would like (read below on how that will work!) Anybody who has open roster spots and doesn't send in their list will get random players.
  • Every team will send in a list of players they want on their team. Winners will be randomized for each player depending on how many people bid on each guy. Obviously, you have a higher chance of getting a player if nobody else is bidding on them!
  • Teams that already have full rosters may waive two players max to pick up new players. Freshly waived players in this period will not be able to be picked up. If you do not have a full roster, you cannot waive players.
  • FOR CLAIMING PLAYERS (IMPORTANT!!) - If you have 1 roster spot open, you will list 3 names. 2 open = 6 names, 3 open = 9 names, 4 open =12 names, 5 open = 15 names. If you do not win any of the players you bid on, you will be randomized a player!
  • Please rank your guys in order of priority on bid wins. If you don't, I will just try to assume by talent level.

code:
Lamar Stevens
Trevor Keels
Paul "B-Ball" Reed
Keljin Blevins
Carsen Edwards
Isiah Todd
Vit Krejci
Karlo Matkovic
David Johnson
Chaundee Brown Jr.
Udoka Azubuike
Armoni Brooks
Jamal Cain
Mason Jones
McKinley Wright IV
DeAndre Jordan
Xavier Sneed
Santi Aldama
Darius Days
Greg Brown III
Jaden Hardy
Nate Hinton
Austin Reaves
Tyrese Martin
Admiral Schofield
Haywood Highsmith
Lance Stephenson
Melvin Frazier Jr.
Jalen Johnson
Malachi Flynn
Tim Frazier
KZ Okpala
Arnoldas Kulboka
Ish Wainright
Ryan Arcidiacono
Christian Koloko
Myles Powell
JD Davison
Daishen Nix
Yves Pons
JT Thor
Day'Ron Sharpe
Jalen Williams (J-Dubb)
Charles Bassey
Simone Fontecchio
Jamorko Pickett
Elijah Hughes
Kendall Brown
Ed Davis
Braxton Key
Hugo Besson
Reggie Perry
Jason Preston
Lindy Waters III
Buddy Boeheim
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Jaden Springer
Christian Braun
Gabe York
Moses Wright
Johnny Juzang
Vernon Carey Jr.
Eugene Omoruyi
Mifiondu Kabengele
Charlie Brown Jr.
E.J. Liddell
Matt Ryan
Scottie Lewis
Ryan Rollins
Saben Lee
D.J. Stewart Jr.
Jericho Sims
Neemias Queta
Ty Jerome
Wendell Moore Jr.
Theo Maledon
Johnny Davis
Cole Swider
Peyton Watson
Skylar Mays
Michael Foster Jr.
Markus Howard
Nathan Knight
Cassius Winston
AJ Griffin
Isaiah Mobley
Brandon Goodwin
Patrick Baldwin Jr.
Caleb Houstan
Keita Bates-Diop
Nick Richards
Blake Wesley
Aaron Wiggins
Brodric Thomas
Jake Layman
Wenyen Gabriel
Jock Landale
TyTy Washington Jr.
Khalife Diop
Kris Dunn
Sam Hauser
Chris Chiozza
Carmelo Anthony
Isaac Bonga
Josh Jackson
Cory Joseph
Joshua Primo
Quentin Grimes
Malik Monk
Gabriele Procida
Boban Marjanovic
Coby White
Domnick Barlow
Robert Woodard II
Mac McClung
Collin Sexton
RJ Nembhard Jr.
Kira Lewis Jr.
Jaylen Hoard
Luke Travers
Lindell Wigginton
Killian Tillie
Landry Shamet
Vince Williams Jr.
Julian Champagne
Greg Monroe
Didi Louzada
Kevin Knox II
Walker Kessler
Devontae Cacok
David Duke Jr
CJ Elleby
Bryce McGowens
Max Christie
Dyson Daniels
Tre Jones
Malcolm Hill

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 11, 2022

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
In the meantime, also over the next 24-48 hours, you guys can make effort posts propping up your team, how it was constructed, what your vision is, why your team owns or may own in the future. Just give us some good content!

After the waivers period, I will be making a poll for the Goon Voting section which will have some cool stuff on it, including where we will crown the Goon Voted Best BYOGM Team. After that will be the sim and then that'll be it for this year's BYOGM.

So yeah, for the next 24-48 it'll be about waivers and some effort posts about your teams.

Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

this is wild and i like it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can you conditionally waive players? Like "I wish to claim X, if I get him, waive Y, otherwise keep Y."

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lockback posted:

Can you conditionally waive players? Like "I wish to claim X, if I get him, waive Y, otherwise keep Y."

No. Waiving players will come with a risk. You don't have to waive players if you don't want to at all if you have a full roster, or you can waive just 1 or the max of 2.

But, say if you're going for Sexton (+ 2 other names) and don't get any of those guys, you will be randomized a guy to replace whoever you waived (player you waived not counting).

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Washington Wizards have waived Cam Thomas and Devin Cannady, and submitted waiver bids for six players.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is the list a priority ranking thing or could a team with one open roster slot win multiple players on waivers if nobody else claims the guys you want

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

xbilkis posted:

Is the list a priority ranking thing or could a team with one open roster slot win multiple players on waivers if nobody else claims the guys you want

Priority how? I would list the players you're sending in terms of how badly you want them, yes. Good point that I missed!

But there are no teams with priority. Once a team wins a player (and if, say, they only had one roster spot open), they cannot be able to "win" another player.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Well, I made it through my first BYOGM experience, and I think I did ok for having no idea what I was doing. I was trying to gauge what the bidding style was, which led to me embarrassingly underbidding the first couple of days, then opening up too much after that. My overall efficiency was pretty good, winning several guys by single digits, but looking back, I did badly overpay for a couple guys who probably won't get many minutes. I also grossly underestimated how many good players are in the NBA. My team was pretty much done halfway through, but it certainly isn't anything to be ashamed of. I don't have a superstar, but I do have multiple guys who can run the offense, lots of knock-down 3-point shooters, and good depth that should beat up on some of the one-man teams. In real life, this team would, um... Make the play-in tourney maybe? Reminds me of those Rockets teams between Yao and Harden.

Houston Rockets Depth Chart:

PG: Darius Garland - Kyle Lowry - Eric Gordon
SG: Eric Gordon - Kyle Lowry - Bryn Forbes - Josh Christopher - Rodney MacGruder
SF: Max Strus - Pat Connaughton - Doug McDermott - Eric Gordon
PF: Domantas Sabonis - Chris Boucher - Precious Achiuwa
C: Kevon Looney - Domantas Sabonis - Chris Boucher - Drew Eubanks - Bruno Fernando

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Well, I made it through my first BYOGM experience, and I think I did ok for having no idea what I was doing. I was trying to gauge what the bidding style was, which led to me embarrassingly underbidding the first couple of days, then opening up too much after that. My overall efficiency was pretty good, winning several guys by single digits, but looking back, I did badly overpay for a couple guys who probably won't get many minutes. I also grossly underestimated how many good players are in the NBA. My team was pretty much done halfway through, but it certainly isn't anything to be ashamed of. I don't have a superstar, but I do have multiple guys who can run the offense, lots of knock-down 3-point shooters, and good depth that should beat up on some of the one-man teams. In real life, this team would, um... Make the play-in tourney maybe? Reminds me of those Rockets teams between Yao and Harden.

Houston Rockets Depth Chart:

PG: Darius Garland - Kyle Lowry - Eric Gordon
SG: Eric Gordon - Kyle Lowry - Bryn Forbes - Josh Christopher - Rodney MacGruder
SF: Max Strus - Pat Connaughton - Doug McDermott - Eric Gordon
PF: Domantas Sabonis - Chris Boucher - Precious Achiuwa
C: Kevon Looney - Domantas Sabonis - Chris Boucher - Drew Eubanks - Bruno Fernando

I think that's a good team on offense, and you have a few good defenders, but unfortunately you don't hve any wing defenders at all really. You might not win a ton of games (play in seems plausible) but your fans would be really happy and have fun anyway.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
After surviving getting struck by lightning, nobody was surprised when former Knicks owner James Dolan decided to give up his business holdings and pursue his real passion, decorative children’s party instruments. What was surprising to most New Yorkers is that he sold it for 24$ to descendants of the Lenape people. “I’m just so embarrassed at how poorly I’ve run the franchise, my life, my music career, god, just everything. I made a Twitter poll and this suggestion won. I’m just so glad I can get out of the public eye and focus on my new band, JD and the Krooked Kazoos.”

Now under control of a new ownership group, the New York Knicks have a new GM, alternative personality Jack Bandit of the cartoon character Doug from the eponymous children’s television program. Doug started by hiring Dan Dantoni, brother of former Knick coach Mike, before building around James Harden and two skilled bigs, DPOY candidate Bam Adebayo and former Knicks first round pick Kristaps Porzingis. And also, for some reason, Russell Westbrook. Seems like Knicks GMing has something in common with the bagels and pizza of the big Apple: there must be something in the water.

At an interview with some YouTube guy apparently, Harden and Westbrook were playful about sharing the load, with each player stating that they expect to win the MVP award next season. Westbrook, a former MVP, is expected to play limited minutes off the bench.

At his opening press conference, Porzingis expressed incredulity at returning to New York. “I hated this place!”

(artists rendition)

PG: Harden/Westbrook
SG: Hart/Kenard
SF: Warren/jones/Kevin Porter Jr.
PF: Adebayo/Kuzma/jones
C: Porzingis/powell/cousins

General plan is for harden and Warren to run an iso heavy offense, and for hart/bam/porzingis playing off for shooting, in a defense-heavy lineup.

Bam and porzingis fill 48 minutes of center usually, but plenty of redundancy if one goes down.

Defensive lineup, switch out jones for Warren.
Small ball lineups, bam at center, warren or jones at pf, hart or Warren at sf, kenard or kpj at sg.

Bench is run by westbrook and based on pick and roll with adebayo or pick and pop with porzingis, with kenard, kpj, and Kuzma providing shooting while westbrook dives to the cup.

I feel like this is the best Knicks team in decades. God I hate being a Knicks fan.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Note the following passage from Claude Simon's The Georgics (Les Éditions des Minuits, 1981 translation by John Calder Publishing LTD. 1989), pages 81 through 82:

quote:

There was no wind either. As if on the spot the cold had frozen or rather solidified the air itself, as if through some chemical action its invisible component particles had amalgamated into one transparent, luminous block in which rose vertically, rapidly at first, then turning and twisting on itself, the smoke not of the fire but of the blazing mass from which the wild flames leapt up in a crackling roar, springing at first from a few twigs, a gathering of dead branches, then fed, fueled by whole trees, young birches, beeches as thick as a man's arm, stacked and piled, their boughs crisscrossing in an enormous pyre as if they (the fatigue party) were taking their revenge or throwing down a challenge, as if they were trying to compensate through a sort of mad bonfire for the madness of the cold itself, projected out of History as it were, or handed over to something which existed beyond all measure (just as the crimson column of the thermometer had long since fallen beneath the lowest marking (minus fifteen) devised for times, customs, a way of life if not civilized at least gaugeable): the state (time and space and cold) in which the world must have existed in the stone age, when mammoth, bison and other huge beasts were hunted into the depths of mighty, inexhaustible forests by giant men who wanted their skins to wear and their hot blood to drink.

This, then: the damp pale flesh of the young trees under the axe flying in chips which scatter over the snow, then the trunks breaking, tearing, their fractures bristling with sharp splinters, falling, dragged (they had to set about it all five together, urging each other on, swearing, driven by a kind of frenzy, a rage), cast into the flames, and the trunks at first as if insensible, then uttering a kind of feeble moan drowned by the wild, merry crackling, then exuding a giant snail's greyish slime whilst the fire consumed them and they snapped once again, toppling over in a shower of sparks, the flames redoubling in strength, leaping a dozen or so feet into the air (at present they (the fatigue party) could no longer stay even near the blaze, were forced back, retreating hurriedly each time they dragged a new tree up to it, grabbing hold of it all together and tossing it on as best they could), the flames snaking, whipping the air, their bifid tips vanishing in the thick smoke from the green timber which curled and tumbled, twisting upon itself as if sucked upwards, and suddenly (up to a certain level there was the shadow of the clearing, the bluish snow, the dark straight trunks, the greyish swirls pierced by orange flames), suddenly, then, the sun, its beams almost horizontal, sweeping the tree tops, the column of smoke salmon-colored all at once, pink, as if the substance had changed along a line cut by a knife, as if it were bursting through an invisible ceiling and entering a magical realm made up of enchantingly soft, iridescent colors normally only found on the petals of flowers, the rocks of Olympus and the bare bodies of women.

Note the passage regarding the beasts of a begone epoch; there are a number of plants throughout the Americas which create fruiting bodies that are not effectively distributed by any extant animal. These include the osage orange, Florida nutmeg, the Kentucky coffeetree, mesquite, prickly pear cactus, paw paws, the Joshua tree, and even the humble avocado.

Paleontologists and paleobiologists hypothesize that all of these plants may have dispersed their seeds using animals which are now extinct, and as such now have disjunct or peculiarly small natural distributions. Some plants, like the avocado, have been rescued by agriculture; others, like the Florida nutmeg tree, are doomed to an almost certain extinction, partially because multiple forms of climate change have radically shrunken the plant's habitable range, although concerned citizens groups have had success planting the Florida nutmeg in the foothills of the Appalachians of North Carolina near the city of Asheville (similar projects are being studied to relocated the western larch into the northern British Columbian Rockies), whose climate more closely resembles the climate that the Florida nutmeg thrived in many tens of thousands of years ago.

The natural landscape of the western European coastal plateau has been so thoroughly changed in that same period of time that it is almost impossible to envision how it once existed. Above, Claude Simon envisions a primeval forest harboring perhaps giant sloths, cave bears, enormous lions, and, of course, the wooly mammoth, but he also notes that the birches and the beeches being used as kindling by the fatigue party are merely "as thick as a man's arm," certainly large for kindling, but dwarfed in size by even the modest trees which once inhabited the forests of Europe, now relegated to tiny, relict distributions throughout the entire continent. All that we think of as natural in Europe has, in fact, been touched by the hand of civilization. This is true throughout much of the world; for example, the forests of the Amazon are not, in fact, completely wild, as in some locations there can be found a thick, highly fertile soil known as 'terra preta' which indicates that its inhabitants have been practicing agriculture therein for millenia. Humankind has been modifying the natural world, and living within it, for as long as we have lived at all.

It is only with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, and the Agricultural Revolution tied at its hip, that "civilized" man formally cleaved its relationship with nature in the way we largely understand today. One of the brilliant moves of Melville's Moby Dick is its 'epigraph', in which it chronicles the appearance of whales in writing through many different civilizations, from the original Greek of the Old Testament to contemporaneous whaling news in Melville's local papers. Consciously or not, Melville shows us a change in the relationship between man and beast. At first, we are terrified of the whale, weaving it into our religions and folklore; then, we are fascinated, bemused; we seek to learn more, to satiate our curiosity; we use technology newly at our disposal to haul in and dissect the whale; we examine it, measure it, note down every detail and feature, and thereby sterilize and de-mythologize our relationship with it (W.G. Sebald notes a similar process occurring in Rembrandt's painting The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp, wherein the medical students examining a corpse are focusing their attention not at the flesh in front of them, but at its depiction in an anatomy textbook). And once our relationship with the whale has become sterilized, the whale, in conjunction with the rise of the commodity object, becomes a commodity itself. It ceases to contain a soul, and becomes an object, a product, which is overhunted to the point of near extinction. Our separation from nature destroys nature, and deprives us of the alienation & dialectical relationship with nature which formed the initial basis of human civilization, of metaphor and complex thought. John Berger writes:

quote:

Therein lies the ultimate consequence of [nature's] marginalization. That look between animal and man, which may have played a crucial role in the development of human society, and with which, in any case, all men had always lived with until less than a century ago, has been extinguished. Looking at each animal, the unaccompanied zoo visitor alone. As for the crowds, they belong to a species which has at last been isolated.

The avocado persists as a remnant of the Ice Age because we can easily transport it throughout the global market, and it provides sufficient exchange value on this market as a token of an exotic cuisine, or a health consciousness, or whatever other symbology you would prefer to impose upon it. The birch is used for firewood, and grown for furniture, in vast, monocultural plantations, unhealthy, unable to support a stable ecosystem, chopped down before full maturity is reached, and certainly before their death & felling in old age provides the nutrients required to replenish the soil system that, by many scientist's estimates, may be unsuitable for mass agriculture before the end of the century. The Florida nutmeg, not helpful to humans other than as a curio, will go extinct long before then. Similarly, Leandro Bolmaro and Kennedy Chandler are no longer of use to the New Jersey Nets, and are being released by the team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ok I'm home and looked at my team and I wanted to keep both the funny name guys but decided that I liked most of the other never gonna play guys on my team a little too much so I'm still gonna cut one

To make room for Jaylen Nowell and Kyle Anderson the Lakers are cutting Georgios Kalaitzakis and Anthony Gill

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I like paw paws and I like that post

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m gonna waive Tyler Cook and Luka Garza. I’m glad I drafted them for Hawkeye pride but also they suck hardcore and should go make money in Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

OKC will waive Isaiah Joe who I bid on before looking at his stats last season, which were much worse than I thought they would be