Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Absolutely in on this as the Ppppportland Trail Blazers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Probably-unnecessary clarification: all bets to be submitted as dollar increments, i.e. no $1.01 etc. right

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

"Deadbeat Dad" posted:

The Portland Trailblazers (rivetz) have signed Jalen Green for $130.
Quietly ecstatic w Green at this price

Q: Are trades for players only or could a trade include cash considerations that add/subtract from a team's remaining spend?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I didn't bid on Draymond because he does not align with our team culture, also because gently caress Draymond

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Brooklyn New Jersey Nets (Algund Eenboom) have signed Luke "The Murder Kornet" "Big Bird" "Green Kornet" Kornet for $15.

(The next highest bid was $1.)
That is a pretty good deal for a big that could get real minutes on a playoff team.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
OK OK, look I heard a beat guy on some podcast say less than a week ago that Boston is considering a larger role for Kornet as the designated backup C. Horford is 36 and Robert Williams obv has injury concerns, 1.5% of the cap for a potential rotation guy on a good team seems like solid value. I didn't anoint him as the future of the franchise jfc

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

This actually raises a fun question: who is better, Bradley Beal or Demar DeRozan?
The All-NBA selection who played more than 40 games

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

I prefer Demar as a dude and aesthetically but I think Beal is noticeably better, and not just because I won him. In the real NBA you’re in trouble if either guy is your best player though
Well once Luke Kornet was off the board this became David Roddy's responsibility

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Gonna use this lull in the action to be the latest to thank Deadbeat Dad for taking the time and effort to put this together, super fun

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

Day 5 spending has officially blown every other day out of the water lol.

We are not even a 3rd of the way through the draft and we have spent 47.4% of our money.
Innovative usage of the pronoun "we" here :raise:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

FYI I am tracking everything independently on my own
yeah so am I, in fact I wonder what the over/under is on the # of goons that are quietly maintaining their own individual trackers lol

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Ant

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

Because Bucks Bet Big on "Buckets," Bookie Bans Bucks Boss
By Johnny Lastname

hahaha nice work

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

rivetz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 31, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Philadelphia 76ers (Paul Zuvella) have signed John Collins for $145.
A Good Deal

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
for shits n giggles, here are the ten players drafted to date with the biggest drop in value 2018 (BYOGMv2) to 2022

Kyle Lowry (-$205)
DeAndre Jordan (-$203)
Victor Oladipo (-$200)
Draymond Green (-$192)
Anthony Davis (-$183)
Steven Adams (-$177)
Clint Capela (-$162)
Dario Saric (-$139)
Eric Gordon (-$112)
Mike Conley (-$97)

(no this is not why I drafted Saric, I drafted him because Kaminsky McGee and Biyombo have all left Phoenix, making Saric the only playable guy on the roster (besides Ayton) >6'8". Saric tore his ACL last June but has moved up to contact drills and the Suns expect him to be ready by training camp. He's still only 28, worth $31 as a bench big imo.)

And the ten players with the biggest uptick in value 2018-22:

Nikola Jokic: $388
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: $310
Trae Young: $304
Giannis Antetokounmpo: $295
Bam Adebayo: $287
Joel Embiid: $256
Devin Booker: $252
Luka Doncic: $243
Jayson Tatum: $190
Deandre Ayton: $156

Current spend by team btw

rivetz fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 1, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So how many wizards do I have to punch in the face or whatever to nudge us over to the timeline where ScooterMcTiny's rank cowardice leaves him bidding against himself on the last day for the services of Grayson Allen

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I wonder if it isn't time to have the uncomfortable conversation w Scooter and let em know that if you finish the draft under $1K, you don't get to keep the difference, i.e. it is (unfortunately) not "real" money

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Getting charts in Google Sheets to do what I want was pissing me off so I dumped everything into a Salesforce org, way easier to futz w it.

DC Murderverse posted:

I bid for the now and take it as it comes. I like my team!
Signed

rivetz fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 3, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
The fact that Reddish is 22 and seems to have the physical tools to be exactly the kind of disruptive switchable wing every team is dying to acquire, yet the Hawks flipped him in a Kevin Knox package...is not a ringing endorsement. I guess the counter-argument is that a) maybe Atlanta simply wasn't a good fit and b) he wouldn't be the first young upside guy to gather cobwebs on Thibodeau's bench. Ultimately this is an important season for him.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Deadbeat Dad posted:

[timg]The Milwaukee Bucks (The Ninth Layer) have signed Robin Lopez for $3.

(The next highest bid was $2.)
:mad:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Don't care, worth it he's fuckin cool

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

Wishing I bid a bit higher on Obi Toppin, yesterday.
I was gonna but thought like a non dumbass that Okongwu was the better bet and also thought like a total dumbass that he'd be gettable in the same price range

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

Crazy thing is even with an empty lineup he didn’t really reach at all for those guys. Everyone else was just nowhere to be found
No, everyone just crapped out on every single bid, just like Scooter the first week and a half when he was spending "north of $600 most days" in completely normal fashion

In unrelated news, RoLo licking his chops ahead of a return to the Central Division

:xd:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Team spending as we near the finish line:

I pulled all players from BBref along with a bunch of 2021-22 stats. If anyone wants an account to muck around with the data, drop me a PM (19 available licenses). I'm going to load in advanced metrics too, and once the season gets rolling I'll set up a dashboard tracking team/player rankings etc.

If this all seems like :effort: I don't disagree but I just quit Salesforce after six years and have a couple of certs I'm not going to be doing much with at my new job; I don't want those skills to completely die, so this is a nice opportunity to putz around with records etc. I don't like the way things are set up in there now, it's fine for tracking the draft but once the season's going I'll have it so teams can be tracked across all metrics as the season progresses, you can compare 21-22 w 22-23, etc etc.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

BWV posted:

Dont know what any of this means but it seems to me that being in the 900s is the Place To Be.
Inverted to show remaining cash instead:

Salesforce's core platform is at heart just a big records management system, and is set up out of the box for sales and service teams: here's a customer account record, here's a bunch of contact records for people associated with that customer, here are sales opps (or trouble tickets) associated with that contact or customer, etc. But you can create your own record types and organize em any way you want, so this org (i.e. bunch of related records hooked together in the cloud) has Team records and Player records, and you can tack as many data points as you want onto a record, so Players have age, position, how much they sold for (and next closest bid), ppg, WS/48, whatever.

I've mapped every player record to its unique ID from Basketball-reference, which makes it super-easy to update stats as the season progresses. This also allows poking at the stats, I'd like to see WS/48 compared to bid$ to see which players wound up providing the best value. I also wouldn't mind something that calculates the average winning bid amount and ties it somehow to VORP? I'm pretty poo poo w stats in general but would like to get better, this seems like a fun way to try some stuff out.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

this isn't accounting for trades fyi

cool though
Whoops good callout. E: found a couple of errors actually, bumping up everything against Giggs's tally to make sure everything's kosher

Also I think Demar Derozan is available for trade, with only two days left (? Deadbeat confirm/deny?), we have only a few top-tier players and there may not be enough to go around, so if you're worried about being left w a bag, feel free to make me a offer of either cash or cash/players

rivetz fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 7, 2022

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
The Remaining Spend chart a few posts up has been updated with an accurate version and matches Giggs's Google sheet across the board, with the exception of teams involved in trades (OKC, LAL, WAS, MIA). Every error was mine, just fat-finger stuff.

I may be misunderstanding the trade rules, though: let's say I draft 2 players at $500 each, so I'm out of cash. I then trade one of those players to someone else for a player who only cost $100. I'm still broke, right? I didn't think players carried their "cap holds" w them when they switch teams(?) I ask because if they do, the Wizards are way over the line since they brought in $183 (Murray/Smith) while only sending out $52 (Claxton/Thomas/Johnson)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Gotcha thanks for the clarification all

I posted:

Also I think Demar Derozan is available for trade
aaaand never mind, nothing to see here

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Preemptive note that I am fully aware of how many good players are still out there but after doing all that stat poo poo the last couple days I need to be done with it for a bit

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
lol you already have more $ than 28 of the other 29 teams

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

And I totally get the people who offered 30-50 for those guys, thinking it’s the equivalent of a 4-6 million dollar nba deal, 3-5% of the cap. This just isn’t the nba and several guys got the equivalent of 80-90 million a year
Yeah I repeatedly hosed this up with practically a third of my roster. like Larry Nance Jr is making $9.6M irl representing like 6.5% of the Pelican's 2022-23 cap, and that's considered a reasonable contract for a versatile frontcourt guy, so landing him here at $55 (5.5% of my cap) is a great deal!! except nah no it is not, at all. (tbf I intentionally overbid on him because I like him and thought there'd be more interest, but the point's the same)

Paul Zuvella posted:

A full 3rd of the leagues remaining roster spots have to be filled with a dollar lol

e: also there’s gonna be a super interesting dance between the 4 teams with real money left over the next 3/4 days
Yeah, I've been thinking about different ways to incent a more gradual spend over the course of the auction as was discussed in brief last week iirc, but I knd of question the wisdom of messing w this insanity. The whole thing's supposed to be experimental and this home stretch is gonna be fuckin glorious. The way to fix the auction imo is not to install more guardrails, probably the way to fix it is for people not to be dumb as you've been hammering in vain practically from Day One lol v:shobon:v

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Keon vs Keldon was pretty good too

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

It also stands to reason that guys like Cade and Jalen could've finished as positive contributors if the teams they were on had better players around them and prioritized wins over giving them experience from day one.
Strongly agree, honestly any team w just these two guys alone is p much a cast-iron lock to be a title contender for the next decade or so. Math is math

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I think it's also interesting to note that terms growth and development occur in so many areas, right? I often make the mistake of perceiving player growth and development in some mental and/or emotional context almost by default , i.e. "I know you love jacking up these long twos but they aren't what this offense needs from you" or "this team wins more games with you on the second unit" etc., but for so many younger players there's this huge physical growth in the mid-20s. I think it's easy (for me, anyway) to overlook that as a fan because most of us see these guys almost exclusively on TV, and mostly from the perspective of a camera thirty feet away from the action, and it's just not the same as seeing em up close and in person. The example I'm thinking of is the beat guys up here in Portland all talking about how Nassir Little is so much bigger coming into this season, and not the 10 lbs of muscle canard, just like 20 lbs heavier, and not just because he's in the gym, but because he's a physical freak who just turned 22 and that's what physical freak bodies do in their early 20s if you take care of yourself. It also takes a lot of guys a couple years to make some decisions about how to approach their careers, like having the maturity to realize that if you want to be your best, it's time to ditch the cheeseburgers and start drinking those lovely protein shakes your trainer's always telling you to drink or whatever. Some guys may not even be able to approach that decision until they have a couple years under their belt and determine that they really do want to make those sacrifices etc.

I dunno what the overarching point is here, just observing that when I read/think about player growth/development I have to remind myself that that encompasses like a whole array of tangible and intangible metrics that have different floors/ceilings and progress at different rates for each player. It's physical, mental, emotional, maturity, self-discipline, endurance, all these different spectrums for improvement, and it's crazy to expect even the most promising prospects to be moving all of em simultaneously in a rookie campaign, especially when some of em aren't even entirely in a 19-year-old's control.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I feel like it's time to acknowledge the quality and consistency of the various Barkley gifs distributed across this thread

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

you don't get the money back
Wait then who did I send my routing/account #s to

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

He means you don’t get it back when you cut a guy, you lose that money. Whatever you don’t spend you do get back, I’m handling all the financials for dbd you can just pm me your info thx
all good, I provided that poo poo to yr associate this morning as part of the NFT partnership #groundfloor

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
God this one's gonna be fuckin loopy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Portland Trailblazers (rivetz) have signed Alperen Sengun for $26.

(The next highest bid was $0.)
hell yes