Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This thread is for discussing the investigations into Hockey Canada for their role in facilitating a culture of sexual abuse (so far with the junior hockey program) and their coverup of, so far, cases involving the 2018 and 2003 World Junior teams. As with the Black Hawks thread, this looks to be a slow-moving and long term issue so it gets its own thread.

This has become a major political issue, with the Prime Minister calling for a "real reckoning" for Hockey Canada. It's unclear exactly what will happen. On one level, there will likely be some turnover in Hockey Canada's leadership but whether that is a substantial punishment or a few sacrifices remains to be seen. On another level, this has the potential to be a watershed moment in Canadian culture, and will likely attract some very ugly culture war politics.

So far:

(1) Hockey Canada publicly settles a lawsuit alleging with a woman who alleged that she was sexually assaulted by eight CHL players, including members of the World Junior team
(2) Sponsors begin withdrawing support for Hockey Canada
(3) The Canadian federal government freezes funding for Hockey Canada
(4) Hockey Canada officially reopens its investigation into the 2018 incident.
(5) It is revealed that Hockey Canada had an additional fund for settling sexual assault allegations, which would've prevented outside paper trails.
(6) Hockey Canada announces another alleged sexual assault, this time involving players from the 2003 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
The police have also re-opened their investigation into the assault:

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1550549653866807303

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Have people started trotting out the "Why punish kids now for what happened in the past?" argument yet?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Have people started trotting out the "Why punish kids now for what happened in the past?" argument yet?

I haven't seen that yet, probably because so far the emphasis has been on Hockey Canada while none of the players have been named. If something like the renewed criminal investigation brings names out, we'll probably start to see that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

In regards to the 2003 Halifax investigation:

https://twitter.com/aschwan41/status/1550547389907451904

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

soggybagel posted:

We won’t see it until the IIHF or the government sanction Hockey Canada. If Canada withdraws its team from a world event the takes will start to fly fast and furious.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

soggybagel posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reasons why random people on the internet that probably have no direct relation to any of the people or institutions involved in this scandal feel the need to jump to their defense. Like with the Katz thing you have a dozen people screaming "There's nothing wrong with a 55 year old man sending a 17 year old girl flirty text messages and a transfer of $75,000 USD, you're wrong for accusing him of being a creep! INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!!!!" What do they get out of it? are they hoping that they'll be re-incarnated as a hockey person in their next life and they'll be in the position to take advantage of an underage girl?

Like it should not be this controversial in a society to hold these dumbass hockey men to account and build a better institution than this.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I mean, the first reply I saw under that tweet with Tootoo confessing in biography form was "Is there no responsibility on the girls?" and then called them vapid, so clearly there's just a subset of the population that dearly needs to be banished to the shadow realm.

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 23, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good call on the splitting into new thread. I'm going to read it but it's good to know what it'll be about coming in.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mr. Tootoo! Someone finally bought a copy of your book, sir!

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

(1) Hockey Canada publicly settles a lawsuit alleging with a woman who alleged that she was sexually assaulted by eight CHL players, including members of the World Junior team

This was by far the most detail about the timeline of events I’ve read. Thanks.

I’ve said on the forms before, but all this Canadian hockey sexual assault stuff is really hard for me to read. I had a pervy babysitter as a kid, luckily I told my parents and it stopped, but for that reason I had to quit competitive hockey as I got older. I was scared the sexual hazing would make me retaliate in a way that would put me in jail.

I hope this victim is able to stay anonymous, but more info about this secret sexual assault slush fund needs to come out. I’m furious that the money I’m paying for my kids to play hockey is going towards this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Starsfan posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reasons why random people on the internet that probably have no direct relation to any of the people or institutions involved in this scandal feel the need to jump to their defense. Like with the Katz thing you have a dozen people screaming "There's nothing wrong with a 55 year old man sending a 17 year old girl flirty text messages and a transfer of $75,000 USD, you're wrong for accusing him of being a creep! INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!!!!" What do they get out of it? are they hoping that they'll be re-incarnated as a hockey person in their next life and they'll be in the position to take advantage of an underage girl?

Like it should not be this controversial in a society to hold these dumbass hockey men to account and build a better institution than this.

I mean it wasn't quite this bad but even the N/V thread had a couple examples of people going "well we don't KNOW this isn't a hack job on Katz". And I'd like to think that SAS is better than society as a whole, so when we're seeing just that from these very forums, is it really a surprise that random people on the internet desperate want what Katz did to be okay?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://www.tsn.ca/sexual-assault-allegations-2003-world-juniors-team-1.1828253

quote:

The sources have requested anonymity because they said they fear recriminations. Each of the three sources told TSN they are willing to testify about the purported video in private before the committee. The three sources independently described the six- or seven-minute video.

The source who contacted Nater works in the hockey industry and said the video began with a Team Canada player standing outside of a room, answering questions as if he were doing a pre-game interview with the person holding the camera, who is not identified.

The player told the camera operator that viewers were about to see "a f---ing lamb roast,” the three sources said. After the hallway interview, the camera was then carried into a room with a pool table, the source said.

The video shows roughly a half-dozen players taking turns having sex with a woman who was non-responsive and lying face up on the pool table, the source said.

Two sources said they watched the video on a VHS tape in an apartment in the spring of 2003.

The third source said that one of the players on the 2003 World Juniors team borrowed their video camera during the tournament in Halifax. The recording was on the camera when it was returned to them. That person said they did not inform police about the recording and deleted the video from their camera after being pressured to do so by players. The source said they believe a copy of the video was made when the camera was not in their possession.

None of the three sources reported the video to police or Hockey Canada.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah you know that copy of the tape is in a vault in one of these people's cabins somewhere in lake country in BC, True Detective style.

ban Hockey Canada affiliated teams from competing internationally for a period of time, vacate all titles going back to atleast 2003, that's the only thing these assholes care about. Even if the names ever do come out they will face no consequences because that behavior is tolerated or endorsed by literally all of their peers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Starsfan posted:

yeah you know that copy of the tape is in a vault in one of these people's cabins somewhere in lake country in BC, True Detective style.

probably not anymore! that sumbitch got disappeared in the past 3-5 days

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Hockey Canada needs to hire people to babysit these players at all times during these wjc events, giving constant reminders that rape is wrong, jesus chris

Owns that Westhead works for TSN they must loving hate him, wjcs are like their only moneymaker besides the cfl

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlF_1GnQjus

This is painful to listen to, but it perfectly captures small town Canada in the year 2000. It should be the new song for world juniors.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

soggybagel posted:

It was 2018, ancient history really

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does Canada have a different definition of rape? Cuz that sure sounds like rape and not just sexual assault.

Edit: This is me being pissy about TSN not calling a spade a spade, in case that wasn't clear.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 23, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

deoju posted:

Does Canada have a different definition of rape? Cuz that sure sounds like rape and not just sexual assault.

Edit: This is me being pissy about TSN not calling a spade a spade, in case that wasn't clear.

Yes, in Canada rape is by definition sexual assault.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Really hosed up thread with examples of this kind of poo poo happening in junior hockey in the last 30 years and how nonexistent repercussions are.

https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1550529788254687233?s=20&t=wxUzom3V6kOCNKTj6jLopQ

And honestly anyone who’s been around hockey (or other team sports I guess, I can only speak to hockey) isn’t going to be shocked by any of this. Absolutely hosed up culture, indoctrinating young men into believing this is acceptable or normal behaviour, enabled by the worst kind of scum at the coach, mentor, and league level.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

no surprise here i guess

https://twitter.com/Jtootoo22/status/1550871092130041857

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jordan7hm posted:

Really hosed up thread with examples of this kind of poo poo happening in junior hockey in the last 30 years and how nonexistent repercussions are.

https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1550529788254687233?s=20&t=wxUzom3V6kOCNKTj6jLopQ

And honestly anyone who’s been around hockey (or other team sports I guess, I can only speak to hockey) isn’t going to be shocked by any of this. Absolutely hosed up culture, indoctrinating young men into believing this is acceptable or normal behaviour, enabled by the worst kind of scum at the coach, mentor, and league level.

Remember when Scott stevens and other members of the capitals raped a woman and everyone kinda shrugged about it

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

I mean it wasn't quite this bad but even the N/V thread had a couple examples of people going "well we don't KNOW this isn't a hack job on Katz". And I'd like to think that SAS is better than society as a whole, so when we're seeing just that from these very forums, is it really a surprise that random people on the internet desperate want what Katz did to be okay?
That was me, and I regret implying inadvertently that Katz isn't a creepy sex pest. Any rational assessment of his character, based on past allegations, is that he's a horrible cocaine goblin. The last thing I want is to carry water for a billionaire.

My point was that the legal filing in question was only tangentially related to Katz, so it's unlikely he'll face any consequences for this. I don't know what the underage dancer in question has said about this, but I'd believe her statements over anything from Katz or from the sexually-abusing-dance-couple she sued in the first place. I can also imagine there's very good reasons why someone doesn't come forward with allegations of sexual abuse against said billionaire.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the Carcillo class action lawsuit against the CHL still in play? I think it's worth bringing up since it's a pretty big indictment of the hosed up attitudes that allow poo poo like this to happen under the auspices of "Boys will be boys"?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

That was me, and I regret implying inadvertently that Katz isn't a creepy sex pest. Any rational assessment of his character, based on past allegations, is that he's a horrible cocaine goblin. The last thing I want is to carry water for a billionaire.

My point was that the legal filing in question was only tangentially related to Katz, so it's unlikely he'll face any consequences for this. I don't know what the underage dancer in question has said about this, but I'd believe her statements over anything from Katz or from the sexually-abusing-dance-couple she sued in the first place. I can also imagine there's very good reasons why someone doesn't come forward with allegations of sexual abuse against said billionaire.

Cool, thanks for the clarification on what you meant. I also agree that Katz is unlikely to actually face any real consequences, since yeah, it doesn't seem to directly involve him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

(1) Hockey Canada releases an action plan for combating toxic culture.

https://twitter.com/HockeyCanada/status/1551598903623094281

It's about what one would expect: better tracking and better training. I suppose these would address the cases in question by getting rid of the off-the-books payments system which has been hiding cases from outside scrutiny, but these rules only have effect if the people in power feel like following them and that seems to be the bigger problem.

(2) Marie-Philip Poulin published a statement on behalf of the women's national team

https://twitter.com/pou29/status/1551646882014822403

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They have to do better. They Will do better.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1552337014141452294?t=IKpNwRlA6wrzYN3QdA-cXQ&s=19

There is no redemption for them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1552318784123420673

Rick Westhead posted:

One perpetrator was connected to four of those claims and accounts for $1M in settlements, HC said.

Hey, so, uh, who's the serial rapist?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

jesus christ

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
These people really need to be named and shamed. No one is going to trust HC as long as they keep protecting rapists.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

As is expected, more people are coming forward, and we will likely learn of many cases beyond even those covered by Hockey Canada's off-the-books fund.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1553394253098897408?s=20&t=aFQVQpncQuMzHjO6Ya9cWw

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Apparently it was this guy:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hockey-coach-kelly-jones-sentenced-to-8-years-for-sexual-assaults-1.2739066

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
If this is what goes on at Hockey Canada at the highest level, under the biggest spotlight, god only knows what depraved poo poo is happening on like, a Junior B team in rural Saskatchewan.

Honestly the entire institution of junior hockey in Canada is irredeemable IMO. Tear it down, replace it with high school and college based teams, where you can Title IX for gender equity and keep a closer eye on things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Definitely feels like like hockey in general needs some external oversight, both civilian watchdogs and government regulations. There's clearly no demand by the people currently running the game to get out of 1950's style "boys will be boys" thinking.

This applies to US hockey too. And the NHL. And the AHL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mr. unhsib posted:

If this is what goes on at Hockey Canada at the highest level, under the biggest spotlight, god only knows what depraved poo poo is happening on like, a Junior B team in rural Saskatchewan.

Honestly the entire institution of junior hockey in Canada is irredeemable IMO. Tear it down, replace it with high school and college based teams, where you can Title IX for gender equity and keep a closer eye on things.

Graham James first met Theo Fleury when Theo was 15.

It absolutely starts earlier, I'm sure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The USA Gymnastics scandal was just as bad, some of the victims were as young as 12 when it started, wouldn’t be surprised if it was younger though. They did the same thing as Canada hockey and passed around known predatory coaches to keep the scandal under wraps.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This contains a summary of E.M.'s account from 2018. It's basically everything known so far, put together.

https://twitter.com/ZosiaBielski/status/1554508691990347776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

This contains a summary of E.M.'s account from 2018. It's basically everything known so far, put together.

https://twitter.com/ZosiaBielski/status/1554508691990347776

The filming of the "consent" is one of the most disturbing things to me, you know there was some power-point presentation that the players of these junior teams were made to watch along the lines of "how to cover your rear end from claims of sexual assault".