Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Primal is the magnum opus of legendary animator Genndy Tartakovsky. It follows the adventures of neanderthal Spear and tyrannosaurus rex Fang who, after bonding over shared tragedies, roam a strange and terrifying prehistoric world that never was. It's a story of loss, grief, survival, and ultimately, friendship, in a brutal, unforgiving world.

The show is a visual feast. The animation is gorgeous, a stylistic homage to the pulpy Johnny Quest era of cartoons, filtered through Tartakovsky's own style. Dialog is virtually absent, instead relying mostly on expression, body language, and animalistic noises. Scenes of Primal's gorgeous and bizarre settings unfold at a leisurely pace before ramping into gruesome hyperkinetic violence.

The first season wrapped up last year with 10 episodes that you can find on Adult Swim or HBO Max. The second season has just begun, and picks up from immediately from where season 1 ends.

I cannot recommend this show enough, it may be my favorite thing ever.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I really loved this show. Had no idea it was coming back, very pumped! Gonna rewatch the first season first I think

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

For UK folks, it's all on All4, Channel 4's on demand streaming service. Episodes 1 and 2 of the second series are already up, looks like it's a straight up simulcast situation, which is neat.

I haven't looked into it, but I wonder if the speech of Mira and the pseudo-Celts are based on anything. I know some work was put into the language of Farcry: Primal, Wenja, for it to have some actual basis in what is known/believed to be known of Proto-Indo-European language, but considering the apparent in-depth work the artists have done to portray the various dinosaurs that are about, I wonder if the writers got someone to make up a language or used an existing one for the voice actors. Huh, Mira speaks Arabic and the pseudo-Celts speak Irish, according to Wikipedia, that's neat

I hope there'll be an artbook that'll include what historical finds and places influenced what aspects of the show's art.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I loved that this new location was clearly celtic, but also had a (two-horned) rhino.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This is a show I cannot say enough good things about. Not having any dialog forces you to focus more on the show and luckily it is incredibly engaging. Its done in such a way there is never any confusion about what a character thinks or feels. It is truly some of the best television ever produced.

Season 2 has started off just as strong as Season 1 and already had an episode that brings you up before you fall to the ground and it kicks you a few times while you're down.

Spear has also started meeting other humans who speak strange languages yet in true Primal fashion there are no subtitles. You have to figure out what they are trying to communicate through visual clues and context. Its brilliant.

When I'm not on mobile I'll post some youtube clips. The GIFS in the OP show how good the visuals are but adding in sound takes it to a whole new level.

Some clips from the first season, and I'll try to not include spoilers of the first season.

This is the clip I would show people to best get across this show. There's just something about a caveman beating a wooly mammoth to death with a rock that just makes me go :dogstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm9OzE161LQ

And this clip that shows the aftermath and how this series does slow moments. Its also a good indicator that Fang is not Spear's pet, she is her own character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgBCeu-P3U

When Spear and Fang first meet each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3nuWnO8Ric

Now some random no context clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0tqWiOfgA&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfXQbxFr6SE

God drat this show is amazing.

I should also mention this isn't even the most violent stuff. Its incredible the lengths they go to.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 24, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Primal loving rules

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Just got to the episode where they had to escape a zombified brachiosaur through the mouth of an active volcano. Holy poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sneeing Emu posted:

Just got to the episode where they had to escape a zombified brachiosaur through the mouth of an active volcano. Holy poo poo.

That specific episode won several Emmy awards, it's a real banger

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/QNvotHMSts4

Teaser for episode 3, The Dawn of Man

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
finally caught up. this show's loving great, really engrossing. it's emotional range is amazing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
probably the best Western animation currently being made in terms of content, in my humble opinion. its not as visually intricate as Arcane, my other pick for "Best of the West", but honestly it manages to be even more arresting and sorrowful with these thick chunky lines and simple blacks than a team of elite French cyborg animators with a billion dollar budget, so its not like I can really say one is "better" than the other. Primal is perfect, I wouldn't think to change a single thing.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sneeing Emu posted:

The start of that episode with the brachiosaur families getting killed is such a bummer that I've wussed out on watching it much in reruns.

Season 2 rocks though, can't wait until we get into the full-on war stuff they teased in the trailer.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

For me with this show it will always be the no subtitle dialog. For whatever reason it makes everything so much more engrossing and makes things hit harder. I feel its even gotten better in the second season so far with an entire tribe of people speaking words yet you have to rely entirely on body language and context clues to figure out what they mean. Its because of that I can never have this on in the background while I do other stuff. This is a show that demands your undivided attention. I love it.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This show is so effortlessly good.

I cannot believe how much characterization and meaningful interactions happen in an essentially wordless show. It is just impressive.

The backgrounds from Episode 3, absolutely beautiful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well that was pretty loving metal :black101:

Crazy Ferret posted:

The backgrounds from Episode 3, absolutely beautiful.

And that's why the background design guy gets 3rd billing :v:

(Sound design dude gets 4th billing)

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I just got caught up and I seriously cannot handle how fuckin cool this show is

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Just a beautiful episode. I love how much Spear is learning, even if he has rear end in a top hat judgey owls watching him.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

gently caress me... 'Dawn of Man' was insanely good. Spear knowing he's missing his connection to humanity, community and society while clearly valuing Fangs companionship has been such a well illustrated theme in this show. It's heartbreaking and beautiful. The sheer terror of those viking dudes once they come to terms with what they've stumbled upon , just :discourse:

The sound design in this recent ep was on point, best it has been. We're spoilt by how good Primal is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man this more serialized season is making me crave the next episode even worse than last time.

Minor translation spoiler for those who want it.
Mira says "We cannot leave any person behind."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man this more serialized season is making me crave the next episode even worse than last time.

Minor translation spoiler for those who want it.
Mira says "We cannot leave any person behind."

I mean, that's not really a spoiler--it's eloquently demonstrated as her meaning.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The person saying it was the spoiler.

Anyway check this out:

https://youtu.be/Y2vg3febiP0

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just got around to checking this out this weekend and I can't believe I waited this long. Got up to Rage of the Ape Men and was just laughing at how insanely brutal it got, just wow. I really dig everything about this show.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Just got around to checking this out this weekend and I can't believe I waited this long. Got up to Rage of the Ape Men and was just laughing at how insanely brutal it got, just wow. I really dig everything about this show.

Rage of the Ape Men reallybfelt like they were saying "You think its been violent so far? Hold our beer, we're just getting started." It also doesn't feel excessive. Maybe it hits harder because the first half is all about them finding a little Eden to finally relax and breathe.

The 1st season was also cut up into 2 parts and Rage of the Ape Men was like a mid-season fianle. We had to wait a year to see if Fang survived.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Rage of the Ape Men reallybfelt like they were saying "You think its been violent so far? Hold our beer, we're just getting started." It also doesn't feel excessive. Maybe it hits harder because the first half is all about them finding a little Eden to finally relax and breathe.

The 1st season was also cut up into 2 parts and Rage of the Ape Men was like a mid-season fianle. We had to wait a year to see if Fang survived.

Until the second season came out, I had no idea there were 10 episodes and not 6 in the first.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Spear slow-mo fist fraggin those god damned rear end in a top hat apes is very very cathartic. Their little murder society sucks total rear end, the retribution is glorious.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Simply love to see how much this last episode conveys Fang's depression about what happened last episode, I really felt awful for her.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Holy poo poo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Jesus...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I am three minutes into the new episode and I am already hooting and hollering

This show is so good

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sorry I know the point of the second half of the episode is about how violence begets violence and endless cycles of revenge and all that but I ain't feeling sorry for dead slave-hunters' families :colbert:

Also lol at that "Preview"

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 5, 2022

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Giving half the episode over to the villains greiving for their many, many dead is so on brand for this show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know it's a controversial opinion, but I am against slavery. gently caress those guys!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Also lol at that "Preview"

Really looking forward to see what that's about.
My guess: Fangs and Spear stumble into a tribe of modern day humans with office jobs and capitalism and they do the needful.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 5, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I kept needing to remind myself they were slavers and as Spear and Fang ruthlessly slaughtered the entire village including women and children.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zero One posted:

I kept needing to remind myself they were slavers and as Spear and Fang ruthlessly slaughtered the entire village including women and children.

That child had it comming!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

didn't expect them to release the 4 slaves they brought back, but guess killing them would erase all the sympathy they built watching these two shitheads cry for 5 minutes

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

cant cook creole bream posted:

That child had it comming!

He reminded me of that punk Olly from Game of Thrones. They both got what they deserved.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Holy poo poo what an episode. I kept on having to remind myself they are slavers and I shouldn't feel bad. They do a drat good job of still wanting to feel for them in the second half.

I didn't expect Spear to kill a child though. I figured they would show he was only knocked unconscious but I should have known better. I look forward to the next episode to see if it haunts them.

gently caress this show is good.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Maybe the next episode will be a happy one, given the ending: Fang, Spear and Mira having a nice boating voyage for 22 minutes! They see a nice sunset and some cool fish! Fang eats another roasted sweet potato! And no big heartbreaking cliffhanger before the hiatus!

It ...could be that, right? Maybe?

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

lol sorry pal your loser kid +3 million other people with axes and bows couldn't accomplish what one guy did with a rock.

dunno why spear would be afraid of two people when he wiped out all their poo poo in the course of a night

oh god oh fuck fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

oh god oh gently caress posted:

lol sorry pal your loser kid +3 million other people with axes and bows couldn't accomplish what one guy did with a rock.

dunno why spear would be afraid of two people when he wiped out all their poo poo in the course of a night

His wife did some real damage on Fang before she died so the implication is that this father/son duo is gonna be a real challenge.