Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DarklyDreaming posted:

My theory for this episode is that the hulking cannibal dude was under some kind of influence of the big bad Minotaur, basing this entirely on his chest tattoo. Maybe there's a cult that worships him in later centuries, maybe he's something more ethereal and needs a host to attach to, either way it'll make sense when Spear and Fang meet them in the Hyborian age

Yeah, this seems like it's going to tie in somehow. Initially, I was thinking it might be setting up that Primal is set in the far future.

But if this episode is just a non sequitur, that is perfectly fine. It was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
After reading the episode’s description, I wondered if it involved things from the trailer like a vision with that fire giant blood god motherfucker, or the Babylonian guys. Once we got to London, I wondered if we were going to see a Land or the Lost portal or something.

I wasn’t expecting what we got, but it was delightful all the same.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm choosing to view this episode as a fun interlude. I really enjoyed it, especially since we got more of Genndy's signature lanky shoulder running.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

it's just another land that Spear and Fang have yet to sail to

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
just discovered this thread and yeah Primal whips rear end; I've noticed there seems to be a few minor changes to the exact writing crew between last season and this one but it still remains on-point.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I guess I will have the minority opinion that this was a rare misstep for the series, this weird digression did not work for me at all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rainbow Knight posted:

it's just another land that Spear and Fang have yet to sail to

The most savage land of all...ENGLAND!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Where's my dinosaur

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I enjoyed it but I don't think I liked it as much as, say, the average ep. I do really like the idea of episode being a weird one-off thing whose relevance is mostly thematic

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Weird, but it was ERB as all gently caress, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

Weird, but it was ERB as all gently caress, though.

Epic Rap Battles (of history)???

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Open Source Idiom posted:

Epic Rap Battles (of history)???

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out too

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

throwing out a guess: Edgar Rice Burroughs (the guy who wrote Tarzan and John Connor of Mars); IIRC Genndy mentioned that Conan the Barbarian (that's not Edgar but still, similar wheelhouse and era) being a major influence on Primal

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm interested to see how this ties if it even does, because while it wasn't bad I do feel a bit off about it because of how disconnected it is.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It was 20 minutes of violence to set up the final punch line. I appreciate the dedication :haw:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Remembering that one article from last year where Genndy talked about how he was working this season of Primal at the exact same time he was working on his upcoming HBO Max show (Unicorn: Warriors Eternal)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I enjoyed it but I don't think I liked it as much as, say, the average ep. I do really like the idea of episode being a weird one-off thing whose relevance is mostly thematic

Yeah it was fine but I can imagine that if I ever do a rewatch of the series I'd probably skip this episode

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I did enjoy the continuous decrease of the civilization. Guns -> Sword&Shield -> Bow -> Bone club -> Spear -> Pointy stick

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I think it was a fun interlude but also maybe we see more of these suggesting some sort of Spear \ Eldar bloodline rivalry through the ages

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

nooneofconsequence posted:

Where's my dinosaur

That bone the man picked up towards the end, I'm afraid. :sigh:

I quite liked the episode - couldn't get All4 to Chromecast it, unfortunately though, so had to watch it on my phone - and the change of setting was neat. I wondered if they were going to go into the gentlemen being cowardly, leaving the butler and cook to face their fates alone or otherwise quickly falling into 'every man for himself' mentality but they largely were just easily stunned by what was unfolding before them.

However, I thought this 'devolving' Charles was talking about was more of a permanent thing, or the chance of humankind falling back into primitive tribes - resorting to barbaric measures in desperate situations wasn't unknown to the Victorian people's, I'd argue. I'm sure they still told tales of cannibalism at sea, although 1890 would have been at the latter period it could have been considered at all excusable.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
What an incredible little one-off episode (maybe?) especially just for that perfect joke at the end. It seemed like a great flex of animation and style, as the bit with the mirror and lightning crashes were cool. I think its a nice change of pace from the previous monster of an episode.

What a show and an talented team to pull off stuff like this.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I like my adventures of proto-Mario and mean-Yoshi just as much as anyone else, but outside of the storyline with Mira this last episode was just as episodic as pretty much everything in the first season. Instead of spear and fang running from a million wild dogs it's some stuffy British dudes getting waxed and fighting a guy with a stick and I think that's a-okay.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What my jaw is dropping at is that they apparently have the hubris to try to actually resolve the alternate-universe stuff into a nearly-recognizable "present day"

Where Darwin isn't a pioneering lone voice arguing for evolution of species (it's already broadly accepted), but for some new kind of crackpot theory explaining the hominids-and-dinosaurs past and how they somehow ended up here

I hella love the character designs, that is some rad as gently caress art and to have the show just decide to build a whole new palette and toolset when they're already this invested in what they've been doing to date ... man

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
*hits blunt*

What if Primal takes place in the future and Spear is Charles Darwin's descendant

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Your Gay Uncle posted:

*hits blunt*

What if Primal takes place in the future and Spear is Charles Darwin's descendant

This was indeed my initial impression once Charles presented "Primal Theory". I have no idea if it's true.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That wasn't actually Charles Darwin because he had been dead for 8 years by 1890 and also would have been in his 80s if he had been alive.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Next you'll tell me humans didn't really live with dinosaurs.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Episode end was a hearty lmao. Genndy could animate a phone book and I would be there for it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I feel like it was a thematic interlude not a narrative one

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I recently rewatched Plague of Madness, and holy poo poo I had forgotten what a perfect episode it is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Okay but what if her baby is purple.

Edit: Genndy Tartakovsky cannot be contained.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 19, 2022

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm so happy for Fang but also very stressed out about those eggs.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I was right and viking dorks get owned immediately despite immense advantages.

Also very happy for Spear uncle arc

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I cannot believe they showed Fang's cloaca.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm so happy for Fang but also very stressed out about those eggs.

There's 4 more episodes to go and there's a hell of a lot that can go wrong in that amount of time. :ohdear:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fritzler posted:

I cannot believe they showed Fang's cloaca.

Yep. Out of everything this show has done that was the worst. lol

IDK how I feel about the Vikings. I was kinda hoping they would be a constant problem for our heroes this season. Especially after the fire god appeared. But no, Spear manages to kill them pretty quickly. The show has alway been very episodic but I thought that maybe S2 was moving away from that format.

Anyway, looks like a cool Egyptian culture to massacre next week

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Honestly, after episodes 5 and 7 did any of us really think this would be the show to do a tasteful cut away?

Also, after Dad Viking survived falling what looked like hundreds of feet and hitting every possible obstacle on the way down, I'm not ready to believe we've seen the last of him just because he slumped underwater for a second.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 19, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Was Chernobog from somewhere earlier in the series or just a random bad dream? It has been ages since I saw season 1 :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Was Chernobog from somewhere earlier in the series or just a random bad dream? It has been ages since I saw season 1 :(

Mira draws him as part of her conversation with Spear in the last episode of the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
efb: Sniped :).

Rappaport posted:

Mira draws something that looks like him when explaining her backstory to Spear. I'll add that I think she implied that they were taking the slaves to him, or there was some other indicator of "he's a really bad dude."