Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm curious if the idea is that everybody's got their own religious afterlife or not. Vidarr got to see Valkyrie before he got snatched, so if they exist then Spear's got a pretty cool place to go to.

the angel Moroni took him to Kolob

I read Surtr yanking the viking to hell as a cruel reinterpretation of their agreement due to the viking avatar getting his rear end kicked down a mountain by a mortal. Like "you got your shot. Don't really give a poo poo if it worked or not. Either way you'll never find out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He’ll find out when Spear fights his way into hell to kick the poo poo out of him.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Rappaport posted:

Most of the things that happened in this show were not fine

It’s this. The show was full of situations where the circumstances were far from ideal and options were limited. But everyone played the hands they were dealt and made the best of what they could, for better or worse. And I think that’s what Mera’s decision is: the best choice she could make given the circumstances. She understood Spear’s wall story enough to see he lost his father and original clan, had a wife and kids that were taken from him, and he was beginning to feel isolated now that Fang had new kids and Mera was home. If he hadn’t been on the verge of death, she probably would have comforted him and helped to acclimate him to her village and the villagers in turn would get more comfortable with him and Fang. Instead, she gave him a family to leave behind that would carry his heroism forward so he didn’t die broken and alone with another family taken from him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If there's one takeaway I have from the Primal life it's that it is in no way nasty, nor brutish, nor short

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ZixTheYeti posted:

It’s this. The show was full of situations where the circumstances were far from ideal and options were limited. But everyone played the hands they were dealt and made the best of what they could, for better or worse. And I think that’s what Mera’s decision is: the best choice she could make given the circumstances. She understood Spear’s wall story enough to see he lost his father and original clan, had a wife and kids that were taken from him, and he was beginning to feel isolated now that Fang had new kids and Mera was home. If he hadn’t been on the verge of death, she probably would have comforted him and helped to acclimate him to her village and the villagers in turn would get more comfortable with him and Fang. Instead, she gave him a family to leave behind that would carry his heroism forward so he didn’t die broken and alone with another family taken from him.

:yeah:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the finale (and I’m someone who fuckin hated the Samurai Jack finale for similar reasons to the criticisms given here) but yeah sex scene definitely notably hosed up

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It wouldn't have even been so bad if it had been more implied. We could have just had Mira read the wall, look towards Spear, and then fade away and open to their child riding the dinosaur. It would have been just as easy to put two and two together without any of the awkward corpse-thrusting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watched the final four episodes of the show in a row. It was really dark & tragic & sad & beautiful & hosed up. I’m glad Genndy Tartovsky keeps getting to make his weird cartoons. I’m sure I’ll also absolutely love whatever he makes next. I’m sorry the show is over but I’m glad Spear got to leave a legacy behind more substantial than a cave painting. The sex scene is uncomfortable and awkward but I’m hard pressed to find a word more suitable for it than “primal” so I think it’s fitting overall. Spear died knowing everyone he loved was safe and together and home, what else could he have wanted?

:unsmith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
People getting icked out by two seconds of Mira's heroic humping is hilarious when talking about a show where in the same episode, a child took a giant rock and bashed several sabertooth tigers' head in in graphic, skull-splintering, brain-gooing detail.

At WORST, the smash cut between that scene and Spear's daughter is jarring. But the scene is loving fine. Stop overlaying your modern sensibilities on characters from 10,000 years ago.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

It wouldn't have even been so bad if it had been more implied. We could have just had Mira read the wall, look towards Spear, and then fade away and open to their child riding the dinosaur. It would have been just as easy to put two and two together without any of the awkward corpse-thrusting.

I mean, he showed us cloaca. We weren't coming out of this clean.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateNu posted:

People getting icked out by two seconds of Mira's heroic humping is hilarious when talking about a show where in the same episode, a child took a giant rock and bashed several sabertooth tigers' head in in graphic, skull-splintering, brain-gooing detail.

At WORST, the smash cut between that scene and Spear's daughter is jarring. But the scene is loving fine. Stop overlaying your modern sensibilities on characters from 10,000 years ago.

People are upset that the sex is, uh, dubiously consensual, not that it was too graphic

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

People are upset that the sex is, uh, dubiously consensual, not that it was too graphic

AlternateNu posted:

Stop overlaying your modern sensibilities on characters from 10,000 years ago.

Edit: Instead of just being obnoxiously coy, I'm going to flat out say. I'm arguing that the existence these characters faced is so far beyond anything anyone here has ever considered, let alone experienced, any opinions you might have on them (including the idea of consent) are effectively moot.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 20, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, he showed us cloaca. We weren't coming out of this clean.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Beyond just being obnoxiously coy, I'm going to flat out say. I'm arguing that the existence these characters faced is so far beyond anything anyone here has ever considered, let alone experienced, that any opinions you might have on them (including the idea of consent) are effectively moot.

I mean, uh, not really, since the the last 5 episodes seem to be about how the world of Primal was actually extremely culturally advanced. Spear & Fang are hyperborean relics cut out of time and thrust into an increasingly modern world. Mira is from a civilization advanced enough to have carved a city into the side of a mountain.

I don’t think Mira raped Spear, because that’s 100% not the story Tartovsky is trying to tell. He and his team are telling a more classical, timeless sort of narrative about a man who lost his family coming together with a monster who lost her family and the bond they forged together in a world that didn’t care about them, and in forging that bond they both find a new family to live for and protect. I agree that some viewers are going to struggle with the narrative’s decision to “go there” because of the way we think about sex & consent in 2022, but saying that we can’t apply ideas of modern morality to a show whose entire 2nd season is basically a treatise on slave revolts seems disingenuous to me, because the message of season 2 is decidedly that slavery is bad, even back then, the entire season is about applying modern sensitivities to the past.

So I completely agree with you, but for totally different reasons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

saying that we can’t apply ideas of modern morality to a show whose entire 2nd season is basically a treatise on slave revolts seems disingenuous to me, because the message of season 2 is decidedly that slavery is bad, even back then, the entire season is about applying modern sensitivities to the past.

Do you think everyone in [nebulous past] was a-okay with slavery? I realize this is probably a bit, but there was a reason e.g. the Romans crucified escaped slaves

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

It’s almost like the show was made and broadcast in modern times and isn’t a documentary

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AlternateNu posted:

It was also jarring because this show hasn't shown any sex, really at all. I think the closest we came was when Fang and the Male had that romantic day together. Otherwise this show is pretty sterile when it comes to sex.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer since if it had just faded out to the time skip with her having a somber smile after looking at the painting it would have had the same effect without the weirdness.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

limp_cheese posted:

It was also jarring because this show hasn't shown any sex, really at all. I think the closest we came was when Fang and Big Red had that romantic day together. Otherwise this show is pretty sterile when it comes to sex.

FTFY

Also I think it’s worth pointing out that watching two adults have sex, shot from bust up, for literally 2 seconds is like the most intense and visceral reaction some of the audience has had to the whole show, including multiple scenes of children being torn to pieces and brutally murdered. My response to it was one of shocked surprise, not because I was upset, but because I just never expected the story to end up there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think the finale definitely needed more time than it had. The fight especially felt weirdly truncated—considering the incredible showdowns and chases this show has had (see: Plague of Madness), the fight against Vidar(?) was... honestly, pretty disappointing. He shoots some fire, Fang and Spear run away, they're chased a bit, Spear tackles him off a mountain and... that's it. We know how talented the people who make this show are, and you just know there's so much more they could have done with an unkillable lava titan than what we got.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think the finale definitely needed more time than it had. The fight especially felt weirdly truncated—considering the incredible showdowns and chases this show has had (see: Plague of Madness), the fight against Vidar(?) was... honestly, pretty disappointing. He shoots some fire, Fang and Spear run away, they're chased a bit, Spear tackles him off a mountain and... that's it. We know how talented the people who make this show are, and you just know there's so much more they could have done with an unkillable lava titan than what we got.

This bothered me too, but I think it’s meant to show that Spear and Fang were very outmatched in a fight that was above their weight class. They had already been shown as struggling against more powerful and better trained opponents, so a nearly relentless moving inferno backed by a powerful demonic entity was definitely going to win that fight pretty handily.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ZixTheYeti posted:

This bothered me too, but I think it’s meant to show that Spear and Fang were very outmatched in a fight that was above their weight class. They had already been shown as struggling against more powerful and better trained opponents, so a nearly relentless moving inferno backed by a powerful demonic entity was definitely going to win that fight pretty handily.

That was my take. Vidarr was in no way concerned about winning and was toying with them until Spear went super Zerker and literally used a mountain and rage to beat a Demi god to oblivion. Loved Vidarr’s eyes going wide when Spear charged him. God this show was metal.

Man… really sad now. This two season show has literally been my favourite animated thing ever and I have been constantly shocked how much Primal moved me. Like a show with so little dialogue should not make me go daww or cry like a baby. I wish the last episode had more time but I wish the show had more time in general. You guys describing Spear’s reaction to the dance was so spot on. Just that melancholy he felt and the painting on the walls got to me for reasons I don’t even understand. Was kinda hoping for the happy ending despite my brain telling me it wasn’t coming. Glad Mira, Lil Spear, Fang and the Dino twins are alive tho. Had no idea the show was ending until reading the thread afterwards. Man…. Bummed. Loved this show. Will miss it and it’s mysterious ability to make me feel emotions so strongly.

As much as Primal theory was the weakest ep the punchline was so hilarious I cannot hate it. I literally rolled off the sofa laughing. Can Genndy give me another few episodes of Korgoth of Barbaria now?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Bust Rodd posted:

FTFY

Also I think it’s worth pointing out that watching two adults have sex, shot from bust up, for literally 2 seconds is like the most intense and visceral reaction some of the audience has had to the whole show, including multiple scenes of children being torn to pieces and brutally murdered. My response to it was one of shocked surprise, not because I was upset, but because I just never expected the story to end up there.

It was the lack of consent, not the sex.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I feel there was consent enough, short of both characters suddenly turning to the 'camera' and saying, in perfect English, "I consent".

I don't know if this is bordering on desexing the disabled - I feel Spear can be considered disabled due to third-degree(?) burns and other injuries from the fight.

I don't think Spear's groans and mutterings of 'Mira' were in protest.

Just let the man nut one last time, will ya?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anyone is actually concerned about consent, I’d think the fact that A) he is a completely different species and B) the ocean of mental, emotional, and psychological development between him and Mira would render the entire scenario impossible. Like from a 2022 woke sexual politics perspective, it is literally impossible for Spear to consent, which is why I think it’s important to step back and recognize that this is essentially a storybook cartoon made for adults by adults and “Mira raped Spear” is not the kind of story the author and animators are trying to tell, in the same way Beauty & the Beast isn’t really about Stockholm Syndrome or how Sleeping Beauty isn’t really about a guy breaking into a woman’s apartment to molest her while she’s asleep. You have to be able to take off your Modern Sensibilities hat from time to time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bust Rodd posted:

If anyone is actually concerned about consent, I’d think the fact that A) he is a completely different species

Hey now, I take offense to that separatist bigotry. I'm 2 percent Neandertal!
(As are most Europeans)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I always rolled my eyes at the descriptor "pulse-pounding action", but there were entire eps of this where i was bouncing up and down in my seat making ape noises

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

bouncing up and down in my seat making ape noises

Well, yeah, isn't that how everyone watches this show?

As folks have said, the deathbed humping was an odd choice. And having spent three whole episodes on The Murder Boat, they could have dedicated more time to the finale. Anyway, minor complaints, I still think The Primal Theory was the only point where the series really faltered.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 21, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I don't see how an episode about making GBS threads on the British Upper/Middle Class Intelligentsia could be bad.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stepping back from HumpGate a moment to address the "different species" issue.

The flashback episode where we saw Spear's family seems to indicate that he's a hybrid. Adult Spear is way more Cro-Magnon-looking than his father was.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

e: mistake post

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 21, 2022

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
What do you guys call the baby dinos?

The one who got its mom's tooth is definitely Fang Jr.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trying to think of a "World According to Garp" joke but nothing's landing

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I don't see how an episode about making GBS threads on the British Upper/Middle Class Intelligentsia could be bad.

Also kind of fun to see some people loving around with that era's guns in his art style.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

dungeon cousin posted:

The teal faced one has a horn//spike so I call him Spike and the red-faced one with Momma’s toof I call Chomper

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The teal faced one has a horn//spike so I call him Spike and the red-faced one with Momma’s toof I call Chomper

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dungeon cousin posted:

Red head and Stripey Boy/Girl

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

bouncing up and down in my seat making ape noises

so was Mira

AlternateNu posted:

No YOU stop engaging with the media you watch and start mindlessly consuming

Anyway I call them Green and Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

goblin week posted:

Anyway I call them Green and Red

But they’re both green and red. >_>