Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Great Movie Ride was extremely cool and I'm sad it's gone. Now where will I go to experience my coaster car being hijacked at gunpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't think we can have this thread and not have Alien Encounter brought up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9FmFnMbcgk

Probably the greatest attraction Disney has ever made.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Don't think we can have this thread and not have Alien Encounter brought up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9FmFnMbcgk

This was an amazing experience, the sounds and environmental effects were fantastic and the part where it breaks out and stomps around on the audience's heads and breathes on the backs of our necks, incredible.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Roth posted:

God I remember reading about this as a kid and wanting to see it so bad. It sounded so damned cool.

Alas, I never got to see it in person.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found it terrifying as a kid but loved it when they replaced it with Stitch as an adult. Which I now get to miss.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I never got to experience that one, only the Stitch’s Great Escape version. I remember nothing of that except for the gross smell when Stitch did a chili dog burp in my face, and how intensely uncomfortable bordering on painful it was when Stitch jumped on my harness and it pressed down on my bony little kid shoulders. I imagine that would have enhanced the experience when it was a horror themed attraction, but it was just unpleasant in the Stitch version.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got to do Alien Encounter as a 10 year old a year or two before they replaced it with Stitch.

Now I love Lilo & Stitch and it's my favorite of the Disney animated films, but that was probably the worst call they could have made with that attraction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I almost did alien encounter but all the notices and warnings freaked me the hell out. So I never did. I regret it in the sense that I wish I did it but I think that poo poo would’ve broke me lol

I made my dad video tape it to watch it so that was kinda funny.

I’m glad there’s better video of it’s existence.

Honestly I miss Jaws. It was one of the best rides out there. Just pure fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uALqMMC8mg

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Roth posted:

Came here to post this, glad it has been covered. Scared the living poo poo out of me when I was a kid, but goddamn do I want to go on it one more time.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
As a Philadelphian, I feel the urge to talk about a themepark that never was, the planned DisneyQuest indoor arcade themepark from the late 90s that tore up a chunk of downtown and then never got built, leaving a crater collectively known as "the Disney Hole" which is now a parking lot.

Video from Defunctland (a YouTube channel that is basically a necessity for this thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQGtnEL2xs

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember going to the DisneyQuest they had at World, or whatever their arcade was called there. I recall some weird proto-VR stuff that was neat and then I went to play Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CelticPredator posted:

I almost did alien encounter but all the notices and warnings freaked me the hell out. So I never did. I regret it in the sense that I wish I did it but I think that poo poo would’ve broke me lol

I made my dad video tape it to watch it so that was kinda funny.

I’m glad there’s better video of it’s existence.

Honestly I miss Jaws. It was one of the best rides out there. Just pure fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uALqMMC8mg
It hosed me up on that short trip so badly that I chickened out right before getting into my doom buggy in the haunted mansion. Took me another 18 years before I corrected that mistake. I kind of wonder what it'd be like as an adult now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember going up to the exit door of the alien encounter and hearing the sounds and screams and getting freaked out lol..

I did however buy the alien action figure at the gift shop and it was really rad and I played with it for years

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The original dinosaur ride at Knotts Berry Farm was pretty dopey but I liked it. It was in the Roaring 20s Land for some reason and after a few years was closed more often than it was open. They did a nice Halloween customization of it a couple times.

Check out this glorious video that looks like it was recorded by a Mars orbiter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nT6b2xlyns

Also it wasn't really a ride but when I was growing up they had these crazy deals to get into Knotts in the summer after 4:00 PM for under $15 for local residents so even though I lived in Ontario, it wasn't completely unprecedented for my dad to just drop me and my best friend off there while he was doing some other work in Orange County. We would end up spending most of our time in the Roaring 20s Boardwalk/Airplane Hanger restaurant as if it was a mall, which seems utterly insane to me now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

This was an amazing experience, the sounds and environmental effects were fantastic and the part where it breaks out and stomps around on the audience's heads and breathes on the backs of our necks, incredible.

I loved it, kids were screaming, people would be crying. It was fantastic and I new it wouldn’t around long in that form because it terrified so many people.

E: I’ve always been a fan of Horizons at EPCOT that was replaced with Mission Space

https://youtu.be/Sa3Mkiv--6o

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 29, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CelticPredator posted:

I remember going up to the exit door of the alien encounter and hearing the sounds and screams and getting freaked out lol..

I did however buy the alien action figure at the gift shop and it was really rad and I played with it for years

I don't think that existed when I was there or I was too traumatised to notice, because that is cool as gently caress and I'd have bought the hell out of it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Big Bad Wolf at busch gardens virginia was so much better than the piece of poo poo Verbolten that replaced it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWO7AYCRaxE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I went to the Disney Quest they built in Chicago many times as a child. I'm normally bad at video games but there were a couple I was actually good at. One was this game where you had to wear a VR headset and fight with a "light sword." I wish I could remember what it was called!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I loved the submarine ride at Disneyland. We went there right before they closed down the ride and filled in the pond. It wasn't in a good state at that point. Many of the fish had trashbags or other litter covering them, and a bunch of them were in disrepair. A few were designed to be held down by a fishing line on each end, but one of the lines had snapped so the fish was just kind swirling around with its nose straight up.

At one point the ride narration says "we have technology that lets us actually hear what the fish are saying" and my dad said in a cartoon voice "helllp I'm tied down." My mom told us to shush but it was one of the hardest laughs I've ever had.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Yesterland is a blog that's all about discontinued attractions at Disney parks. It's a fun read and I'm glad to be reminded of it. https://www.yesterland.com/

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Convenient timing for this to go up, since today is the 10-year anniversary of Disaster Transport closing. Got linked to an old vacation video that includes a POV with the early effects around 6 minutes in earlier today. To pull my thoughts from that thread:

quote:

I rode it while it was still around, and though it was long after the theming had decayed, the bones of something very neat were still there. I doubt any path Cedar Fair could have taken would have saved the ride long term - it had enough problems as it was, and enough were foundational to the ride - but it's a fond memory nonetheless, and it could have been so much more. I wish CF had allowed anyone with a good (for the time) camera to do a lights-on run through the ride before they shut it down for good, though; the few videos we have that I've seen are... very obviously old and poorly recorded. Not much of a way to memorialize the ride.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
It still exists for now but it'll close permanently at the start of september this year: The Spookslot/Haunted Castle in Efteling. Basically a ghost show using quite a few neat tricks, and it's got a cool setting where you have to go into the castle first and encounter some scary stuff before the show begins.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I went to the Disney Quest they built in Chicago many times as a child. I'm normally bad at video games but there were a couple I was actually good at. One was this game where you had to wear a VR headset and fight with a "light sword." I wish I could remember what it was called!

I think the Chicago one copied a lot of the Florida site - there was a VR "ride" that was comic-book themed called Ride the Comix where you fought with a sword while on a kinda half-themed spaceship speeder thing.

There was also an Aladdin magic carpet-themed VR thing too.

Looks like that Comix artist has some stuff up on their site, too, if it jogs any memories: https://dvecohen.myportfolio.com/copy-of-show-writer

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ride the Comix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_yvBbpxRI

I definitely did this one at the Orlando location. Also the giant pinball with the Mighty Ducks theming.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Rocket Rods were actually lots of fun. A stupid waste of space, sure, but it's the basic thrill of street racing right through Disneyland! Getting rids of those and leaving that big empty space in the heart of Tomorrowland is just embarrassing.

I went into Alien Encounter completely clueless. The glory of the year 2000 was there were no good ways to ruin the surprise, and I love going into new stuff unspoiled. Talk about fear of the unknown, that experience was exhilarating!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Trillhouse posted:

I loved the submarine ride at Disneyland. We went there right before they closed down the ride and filled in the pond. It wasn't in a good state at that point. Many of the fish had trashbags or other litter covering them, and a bunch of them were in disrepair. A few were designed to be held down by a fishing line on each end, but one of the lines had snapped so the fish was just kind swirling around with its nose straight up.

At one point the ride narration says "we have technology that lets us actually hear what the fish are saying" and my dad said in a cartoon voice "helllp I'm tied down." My mom told us to shush but it was one of the hardest laughs I've ever had.

lmao, good on your dad.

Believe it or not they allegedly re-opened the subs this week.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think I was 14 or 15 when our family made down to Florida. Alien encounters was great. I really enjoyed it at that time, but remember thinking the entire theme was very off brand for Disney. Like, nothing else is really horror there. Haunted mansion is spooky fun, not terror inducing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
When I was a kid they had a park called Paramount's Great America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7p8eOErgwE

Due to being late in the season my sibling and I got to ride teh above like, a dozen times. It was pretty fun and pulled a lot of G's but was hard on older bodies, like mine is now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The gondolas at Disneyland, I loved them. It's such a simple ride but it was so much fun to me. My uncle was banned for life for doing various things from them though so I guess it's probably no surprised they didn't make it into this century since that was apparently quite common.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Roth posted:

This was pretty scary but it obviously wasn't fuckin real lol. That's why they shut it down, right, because people were too scared? So dumb. They culd have just raised the age limit or something.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

This was pretty scary but it obviously wasn't fuckin real lol. That's why they shut it down, right, because people were too scared? So dumb. They culd have just raised the age limit or something.
Might have something to so with the actor/ convicted sex offender that portrayed one if the main roles, and Disney not wanting to touch anything to do with him.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I think the Chicago one copied a lot of the Florida site - there was a VR "ride" that was comic-book themed called Ride the Comix where you fought with a sword while on a kinda half-themed spaceship speeder thing.

There was also an Aladdin magic carpet-themed VR thing too.

Looks like that Comix artist has some stuff up on their site, too, if it jogs any memories: https://dvecohen.myportfolio.com/copy-of-show-writer

Aardvark Barber posted:

Ride the Comix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_yvBbpxRI

I definitely did this one at the Orlando location. Also the giant pinball with the Mighty Ducks theming.

Yes it's this! Thank you!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

B33rChiller posted:

Might have something to so with the actor/ convicted sex offender that portrayed one if the main roles, and Disney not wanting to touch anything to do with him.

Are we talking about Thriller?

Cuz that poo poo lights my hair on fire. With fire.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

B33rChiller posted:

Look at this degenerate, would YOU want anything to do with them

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are we talking about Thriller?

Cuz that poo poo lights my hair on fire. With fire.

Lol nah, the dad from Beetlejuice.
defunctland mentions it at around 10m55s

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

B33rChiller posted:

Ah, I had to look it up. Jeffrey Jones, man that sucks. I'm watching Law & Order right now, and remembered Chris Noth is also a sex pest.

Great cast for a ride, though!
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0819365/fullcredits/cast

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Look at this degenerate, would YOU want anything to do with them

Skippy, no! :gonk:

Considering it was the same year he got convicted, that might have just been serendipity on their part, Disney moves sloooow on everything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Universal Orlando only has one original ride remaining so there's plenty to talk about there.

Kongfrontation was loving awesome with all those animatronics. The banana breath was a great touch too. The new Kong ride loving sucks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Convenient timing for this to go up, since today is the 10-year anniversary of Disaster Transport closing. Got linked to an old vacation video that includes a POV with the early effects around 6 minutes in earlier today. To pull my thoughts from that thread:

I worked that ride in 2006. Even then there wasn't much to see with the lights on.

Actually the best way to ride it was in 100% darkness. We would turn out the lights when we rode it ourselves or for guests we knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Rick posted:

The original dinosaur ride at Knotts Berry Farm was pretty dopey but I liked it. It was in the Roaring 20s Land for some reason and after a few years was closed more often than it was open. They did a nice Halloween customization of it a couple times.

Check out this glorious video that looks like it was recorded by a Mars orbiter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nT6b2xlyns

Also it wasn't really a ride but when I was growing up they had these crazy deals to get into Knotts in the summer after 4:00 PM for under $15 for local residents so even though I lived in Ontario, it wasn't completely unprecedented for my dad to just drop me and my best friend off there while he was doing some other work in Orange County. We would end up spending most of our time in the Roaring 20s Boardwalk/Airplane Hanger restaurant as if it was a mall, which seems utterly insane to me now.

Man, I loved that ride as a kid. I was so disappointed when I went to Knotts in the early 2010s and couldn’t find it because they’d closed it just a few years back.

There was also this video that had some more details about what happened to it, and how a bunch of the animatronics went to waste.

https://youtu.be/CvyJ4uG2UPw

At least last time I was back there they’ve got a bunch of merch for the ride and now it’s some kind of underwater themed shooter thing.