Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm watching megaman battle network speedruns

I did not know there was a part in mmbn2 where a guy tells Lan that if he wants to have some whiskey then Lan is gonna have to rap with him. Lan responds by saying "Hellz yeah"

It’s a speed run so you probably didn’t see it, but that’s nowhere near the craziest part, where said man also tells you to suck on your mother’s milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

we should test his limits, for science. Just give him a series of worse and worse games until we finally find one he doesn't like

I think that’ll kill him, because he won’t ever be able to dislike a game but then after playing Dumpster Fire Simulator V and then replaying another From game the whiplash’ll be too much for any man to handle.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder if anyone ever made a Dark Souls mod that replaced the normal boss fight music with the composer’s usual bangers like this one…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...wait, Sakuraba did the Dark Souls OST!?

Then I was right, Sakuraba's problem with samey OSTs isn't his style, it's that he should be banned from ever using syth in his work.

If you listen to the Ornstien and Smough track you can totally tell it’s him, but otherwise it’s a pretty big surprise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am certainly willing to give it a try. I would think it should be games that actually try though - not just weird shovelware asset flip stuff ;)

Takeshi’s Challenge? It was made to be deliberately unfun and obtuse because Beat Takeshi thought video games were dumb, and it’s infamous as one of the worst games of all time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Question: what was gaming’s first space game with survival horror elements? Because this Live A Live game has them as one of its campaigns and it’s a remake of an SNES game. Idk if there were even survival horror games period back then…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

They only kept Pikachu's name because that motherfucker is out all the time in the anime saying its own name and why bother hiring an entire other voice actor for every language to just say one word a bunch when we can just reuse the Japanese voice.

This makes sense, until you find out they have the Pikachu lady do multiple takes for each language version which is basically just hiring someone to say “pika pi” anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't really like playing Pokemon anymore but I do love looking at the new 'mon designs every time

Still wanna know what that toupee duck evolves into

Same, the one-two punch of “we made the exp share mandatory because gently caress you” and “no GTS at launch” turned me off Sword/Shield and I guess every Pokémon game now, but I still love looking at new friends like Muddy Wooper and Failinks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It is indeed plotless, in fact it’s flavourless linear etrian odyssey but easier, i.e. a good podcast game. But please include this sort of caveat next time, I bought it sight unseen and now I have no choice but to petition the mods to threadban you

Do you like SRPGs? Disgaea’s one that plays more like a JRPG with grids a lot of the time and has a lot of numbers, there’s a lot of cutscenes but you can skip them all and 5 has a demo on the Switch.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How does Fusion rank among the Metroid games? I suck at it but I'm also just not having that much fun. The core action isn't holding my interest. I might just not be in the mood, and again I'm pretty crap at it.

Iirc consensus is that it’s not great at being a Metroidvania (exploring and poo poo) but pretty good at being a run and gun shooter/platformer. I feel like it attracted a lot of ire because of the dearth of 2D Metroids pre-3DS tbh, it’s pretty fun to me!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Imo, Super Metroid was much more atmospheric.

I’m gonna be honest, I am a huge gamer fuckup who’s never played Super more than a few hours (or really as much Metroid as I should have) despite liking Metroidvanias a whole lot, so I can’t speak on its atmosphere, but Fusion has Nightmare, which is still one of the cooler Nintendo bosses imho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imo the pro soda substitution fix is a drink of half fruit juice and half seltzer water. I don’t miss soda or undiluted juice besides grapefruit flavor pop but a bottle of lemonade with fizzy water hits the spot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I'm liking NEO: The World Ends With You a lot so far. Up to Day 5 and it feels like things have started really opening up now. It took me a bit to get used to controlling 4 characters but now I've been figuring out good synergies and improving my battle grades. The level and difficulty sliders in TWEWY are brilliant, and I would love for more games to do something similar.

There’s like literally one other non-TWEWY game that took the idea of “gimp your HP and play on a higher difficulty for better drops/drop rates” that I’ve played, Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded. It’s a DS game of a phone game that somehow has the best game feel of the franchise besides KH2/3.

Glad you’re enjoying NEO, the combat dynamic makes experimenting really fun since you can set up those beat combos among other things.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I got jumped by 5 hands from behind in a manor in Elden Ring and I think I have a new phobia now.

Giant Hand spiders are a new top tier “gently caress that’s creepy” From enemy right behind “screaming old man”, “giant hand face baby” and Winter Lanterns

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho it’s very good so far, one of the better action RPGs I’ve ever played and the protagonist is so overwhelmingly angry most of his fatalities are just comically brutal/cathartic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

That game looks real cute and actually pretty fun for what it is, if the online multiplayer’s not complete trash and it’s not too expensive I might pick it up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I took a break during last season but it sounds like I should get back into it.

EDIT: Playing NEO: TWEWY some more and I'm thinking I'm untouchable since I'm able to consistently do level 1 hard fights, and along comes a T-Rex that wrecks my poo poo. :(

T-Rexes are a huge difficulty spike but if you know they’re coming they’re not terrible, try elemental pins since they’re vulnerable to ailments.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

berseria's ending was outstanding, what the hell

now if you mean the final dungeon, absolutely co-signed

Yeah the ending was great, what the heck?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Tales of Berseria Ending Spoiler Velvet should have gotten a happy ending in the real world, not a never ending dream of some fantasy. It's not even her, it's just some reincarnation with none of the memories or trials or tribulations. It's a happy ending from some random person that never existed. Velvet deserves a happy ending goddamnit.

imho the point of the ending being written the way it was was that Velvet doesn’t deserve a happy ending in the traditional sense because she’s not a good person. I think she’s a great character, and the hand she was dealt was loving poo poo, and I like her, don’t get me wrong, but she’s willing to do bad things pretty much just for revenge while being aware that it’s basically incidental that Artorius was trying to do the JRPG villain thing of making everyone mindless drones to eliminate conflict.

Tbh if the game just ended with Velvet becoming humanized and waking off in the sunset with Phi it would have dragged the game down slightly even if part of me wanted that anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

This is all I had to go on when I bought the game:

Nowhere did it mention it was going to be akin to an edgy grimdark manga from the 90s (google says the first issue was 1989)

I mean, people say it’s like Berserk, and it kinda is, but that description of “a kind young woman who was changed forever by a traumatic experience” is basically just a huge chunk of Berserk since the story is about an emotionally damaged man finding a place to belong before his Artorius takes it all away from him, and then learning how to bond with people again, in more or less literally the same way the prologue of Berseria goes down.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

True, even the Count of Monte Cristo, the revenge story by excellence, ends with the Count going "welp, I got my revenge, time to run to China with my girlfriend ex-slave who is younger than me but it's okay I freed her".

"Revenge is empty" is still a very comon theme in those stories, and given Velvet's character the ending makes sense. Still better than Eizen being condemned to turn into a dragon and get killed by Sorey.

I just pretend the Zestria anime I’ve never watched is canon wrt to that spoiler, wherein iirc they partially fix Eizen so he’s himself again but still a dragon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I don't really remember, but I thought Eizen was ignored instead of killed in the anime?

i never watched it but it was one of the things I heard that stood out, but since that was years ago I could definitely be wrong

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just finished Live A Live. The gamer feel when you put away a good, short game…such bitterness. I’d forgotten what it’s like after Elden Ring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

regional variants of old pokemon was such a great idea

They’re so cool, I don’t think there’s been a single miss besides Hawaiian Persian which iirc is one of those Pokémon that looks dumb because the irl thing it’s based on was also goofy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

You kiddin? This guy's way better than normie Persian

Tbh I mostly don’t like him because he’s just a normal Persian model with a Garfield head, the contrast looks goofy.

Gaius Marius posted:

Even Mr.Mime

I forgot about Galarian Mr Mime, he’s Okay. Mr. Rime is horrifying though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Starting on the left branch of AI: Somnium 1 after finishing Live A Live and man is Mizuki a miserable little poo poo. I think I dig her though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The characters look like they're from the somnium files games, i.e. stupid

hosed up, the Somnium characters dress better than that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

On Day 6 of Week 2 in NEO: The World Ends With You, and there was a big reveal that the online influencer is actually not a good person!

Fake Edit: Even better, they got all of their clout from posting stolen content.

Game rules.

The boss fight is kinda annoying but also a boss giving himself buffs by literally just posting on Kickstarter for money rules so I can’t exactly hate it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yes, I loved that! I'm a bit sad that the "spam the chat so everything is covered up" attack wasn't used more to give the fight some more variety, but I could see how that could have gotten very annoying.

Also I now have 5 party members. I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with fights now. :stare:

its easier than you’d think to keep track, also I can’t wait till you get the combo meter thing to 300% for the first time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

woah, your boss can only be a dude in the original saints row 1

It’s pretty funny finding that out and realizing that you can be a different gender entirely in 2 and people from 1 are just “hey did you change your hair or something?” when they see the Boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

also keith david right from the start

That’s Julius Little, Keith David isn’t in the series till Saint’s Row 4.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Also to add to wafflespoint. People going oh new saints row is woke and im like did you forget 3 and 4 with the romance options. I think 3 russian female boss had a thing for Pierce.

Yeah, Russian Boss is basically thirsty on main for Pierce. It’s a really cool Saint’s Row feature in general that choosing a voice is basically choosing an entirely different protagonist for your campaign, because all the the “proper” cutscene dialogue is the same no matter what but most of the in-mission stuff (like 20% of 2’s dialogue, 80% of 3/4 iirc) changes based on the voice.

Also, was a weird choice for them to have “Nolan North” as a voice option in Saints Row 4, the game that had Troy Baker as White Guy Voice 1. Idk if they saw the irony.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Baller Time posted:

Apparently new Saints Row has no cockney voice? Very troubling

I can’t help but be underwhelmed since they didn’t get The Nanny guy back after 2, Cockney Travis Touchdown was okay but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Mr. Sheffield hasn't done a voice since 2 :(

And he's said he would if they asked!

I kinda get the impression 3/4 were on a tight budget since a chunk of the boss voices were people who were best known for doing anime/anime games compared to the celebrity pulls they had in 2 in general.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SR2 is the only one i really liked. i guess messing around in SR4 was kind of fun but SR2 actually could get at least semi-serious at some points and had really good cutscenes while by the time it hit SR4 it was wacky fun times all the way

Yeah, I liked loving around with superpowers in 4 a lot, but I still would really, really like a remaster of 2 that has the controls from 3/4 but the same gameplay otherwise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I suspect other people have had this experience:

The other day I was putting a game back on the shelf and I saw I had AC: Valhalla for the PS5. I have no recollection of buying this and was surprised it was there. This happened a few months back when I saw I had FF3 on the DS. No idea when or where I got it. But it's there.

I suspect if I looked through I'd find something else that surprises me.

Related, but in a way worse was when I bought Okami for PS4 and then found out I had bought it digitally in a sale at some point. I have a feeling this sort of thing is more common then just being surprised by what you find in your collection.

The worst thing has not happened to me yet. And that is buying a physical game, and then putting it on your shelf next to the same game that you had forgotten you already owned. Fess up, who has done this?

I scarcely ever buy physical copies (basically it’s just been Sekiro used for the last few years because I didn’t wanna give Activision money) but there are a lot of instances where I peruse my digital collection and go “huh, when the gently caress did I pick that up?” I’m definitely gonna end up buying a Switch game I already picked up the Amazon code for eventually though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Rename Games AND Traditional Games both "Super Nintendo Chalmers’ Forum"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t believe I beat AI: The Somnium Files! I got the perfect timeline ending and became a carnival worker with my new big titty receptionist girlfriend! There are a lot of loose ends left to untangle so I’m very glad I picked up the sequel when it was on sale!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Thompsons posted:

I feel like Gat in SR3 was supposed to tie into the larger (initial) narrative idea of the Saints becoming too commercialized. In SR2 he gets stabbed and laid out for several missions, in the trailer for 3 he happily takes a bullet for the Boss and gets back up, and in that first mission on the plane he also gets shivved in the abdomen and powers through it. You get the feeling there was going to be some reveal that he'd been majorly toughening up and conditioning himself since he still feels guilty for getting Aisha killed, maybe that's what causes him to really get sick of where their whole outfit's going, or he keeps doing riskier and more boneheaded things since he's obsessed with getting tougher, but then he just dies in the that early mission since the actor had scheduling conflicts and the game already was suffering from production issues.

SR3 kinda dropped the ball on a lot of stuff, like how Shaundi does a 180 between 2 and 3 even outside of the Gat baggage that everyone barely alludes to until 4. Or the entire ending sequence of 3 is presented as an actual choice between saving Shaundi or killing one guy that you lack anywhere near enough animosity for to make it a real choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(AI Somnium) I got to the point in the story where I got to the Mizuki’s mom flashback and holy wow I feel bad about all the mean stuff I said about Mizuki in this thread earlier. :(

very proud of Date for the immediate reaction of “What the gently caress, you don’t loving hit kids, lady” though, he has moved up slightly from “loser” to “kind of a loser”