Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
VG, have you disliked any game that’s been recommended to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty impressive how between the popular face button layouts, humanity has managed to put the same symbol in three of the four available spots. It's made jumping between emulators a bit tricky.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Button mapping has actually gotten better since the last time I checked in. A number of the emulators now auto-bind to the obvious layout.

But the Wii got me curious about emulating the Wiimote (plenty of stuff requires it). Move controllers, which I have, apparently aren't easy to set up with Dolphin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I hadnt I heard of this, and I think it’s wild

that's weirdly not that rare on mobile, and just seems to be accepted. i lost a bunch of ios games in the move to 64 bit, but also some bought afterwards. then there's also bullshit like adding ads to paid apps after the fact.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wish they'd gone with something a little closer to the 90s grungy aesthetic of the original

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

I think the only thing I'm looking forward to this month is Cult of the Lamb and the Front Mission remake if it *maybe* comes out this month.

I totally forgot about this. I had some fun with the DS port, would be cool if it came to pc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

I want to like Xenoblade, I really do. I might try the 3DS port again.

Do you have a switch to try out that version?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does P5 delve any deeper into the series’ Jungian mythos, or is it mostly just there for setup? I always wanted the games to explore that aspect more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Baller Time posted:

*inhales*

Ah, I love the smell of Arnika Road in the morning

Gave up on Albion?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't know RE4 went through multiple big changes in direction during development. There were a bunch of versions before they settled on the final one. One even lead to the creation of DMC (this I've heard of before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_aBvWWFERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAK8EkCmLf0

It's really impressive how far they were able to push the Gamecube. These still look pretty great visually.

I'm a bit unclear about how the exclusivity worked, because RE4 was on PS2 in less than a year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any highlights of the presentation? Are they making any big changes?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Open world, three storylines to follow, one is the gym battles, no set order, big gimmick is crystals, I also think it's not turn based anymore.

Woah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably not strictly the first, but without Sweet Home we probably would not have Resident Evil. It had some clever ideas even for today. Like having to split up your JRPG party into multiple groups to get things done. Each member had a unique ability to get around some hazard or obstacle. But they could die. If they did, you weren’t totally hosed, but now you had to make do with rare consumable alternatives to those items. You can see it had that same core of resource management in a horror environment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Putting aside that it’s a game aimed at children, I’m not sure how to balance a game where you can outgrind any difficulty. How do you let the player know that now is that right time to do a gym, and that it might be challenging but surmountable given the right strategy rather than more leveling?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk maybe you could try doing the gym and see if you lose or not

But how do you know if it’s because you’re dumb and not because you’re underleveled?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What’s wrong with xp sharing? Seems like a nice simple QoL change to me
I love to share my xp

i see it mostly as a time saver (a good thing).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I tried out Pokémon Sword. I haven’t picked up a Pokémon in some time, so maybe my expectations were out of wack, but after hearing all the complaints about the game I was surprised at how many things it does right.

There are so many QoL improvements since my last time. You can see Pokémon in the grass, and so evade or engage them as you want. No HMs. You can access your boxes outside a Pokémon center. You get fly pretty quickly. A move deleter/reminder in every Pokémon center. And probably some other stuff I’m forgetting.

The core formula is a bit stale for me, but it’s been a pretty pleasant experience so far. I quite like the Pokémon selection so far. I’ve found some old favorites already.

One thing I wouldn’t mind them adding is some kind of indication of whether your attack type (physical versus special) matches well or poorly with the defending Pokémon’s defenses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How does Fusion rank among the Metroid games? I suck at it but I'm also just not having that much fun. The core action isn't holding my interest. I might just not be in the mood, and again I'm pretty crap at it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc consensus is that it’s not great at being a Metroidvania (exploring and poo poo) but pretty good at being a run and gun shooter/platformer. I feel like it attracted a lot of ire because of the dearth of 2D Metroids pre-3DS tbh, it’s pretty fun to me!

Imo, Super Metroid was much more atmospheric.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

fusion's environments are much smaller and more sterile. it has high points like SA-X and nightmare but Super threw poo poo like that at you in every new biome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGBW3Qc4K4

the limited audio capabilities of the GBA sure aren't helping the comparison

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah, the starters of SwoShi all have monotyped evolutions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it was better than 2 but that first Phazon Guardian boss was some of the biggest horseshit at the time with those controls

There's a handy a tool, PrimeHack (technincally it's a modification of the Dolphin emulator), that maps the controls for all three games to M+KB (when emulated). But you can also set up twin stick camera controls. It works remarkably well. The only problem was learning the bindings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wuggles posted:

what strikes me as interesting about my list is that even though I didn't pick all these games, between COD4, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Orange Box, and Assassin's Creed, if you imagined the platonic ideal of the normie gamestop bro: they might pick 2007 as YOTG

I wonder if the pandemic delayed this gen's 2007. Or maybe scattered releases enough that there won't be a single strong year for a while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the actual best, no-qualification Great game of 2012 was probably Spelunky come to think of it. that game is basically perfect, as in actually flawless

so good nobody bothered with the sequel

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s XCOM with card abilities.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I think it's like a Gloomhaven situation where you have cards that dictate what you can do, but who the gently caress knows. My wife spent a good hour one day trying to find a video of just one complete round of combat to see what it is, and as far as we can tell that doesn't actually exist. Just little clips of each attack and talking about how cool Marvel is.

Is this okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Qf1ueyh1w

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volcott posted:

Hey there, is there a thread that deals in controllers for pc anywhere around here? Current controller is dying, wanted to see if there were any recommendations other than "just buy another series x controller," maybe something with the rumble stripped out for weight reduction.

The 8bitdo Pro 2 controller seems to be popular around here. I've been doing fine with a DS4, and Series X (technically called "core" I think) controller. I like PlayStation controllers for the extra flexibility the touchpad and gyros give, but I wouldn't buy a DS4 today unless it was cheap (because it's outclassed by the DualSense, and uses the dreaded USB Micro). Xbox controllers are cheaper though, and from what I've seen go on sale more often.

I should note that the DualSense is heavy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

I got one of those fancy Xbox Elite Controller 2s for Christmas a couple years ago and really really liked it but the RB is now dying and it's been out of warranty for at least a year :negative: Apparently this is a known issue with that controller, which sucks.

Considering grabbing a Series X controller to replace it even though I have a perfectly functional regular Xbox One controller still

I appreciate the new Xbox controllers having a USB C port.

And yeah apparently every Elite 2 falls apart way too quickly for the price MS is selling them for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volcott posted:

I had no real complaints about the one, it fixed the mushy d-pad the 360 had. I got the series x as a gift and it just seemed to be a bit more solidly built, generally speaking.

If you get a series controller for your pc, remember to update the firmware because it has some issues out of the box

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sponges posted:

God drat I give up on gaming on my tablet. Just constantly having to lift my arm/hand to tap the screen is so tiresome.

I’m a decrepit old man

Having to use virtual joystick controls highlighted to me just how much time the average 3D game wastes on moving from a to b. Since there’s nothing to it besides holding a stick forward, it might as well be automated. Or give me telepathic controls.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I find it hard to be passionate about years... I’ve got no will to argue. Someone can say “yeah 2oo4 is the best year for games because xyz” and ill be “yeah 100%” then their neighbour can say “actually 1969 is the best year because xxx” and all I could say is “hell yeah. You’re both spot on”. Idk there’s nothing for me to hold onto, nothing to light up the fire in my belly

same except for vg rankings in general

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are they as rare as they used to be? Pretty sure I only had one shiny in my original 100+ hour Gold save.

E: oh, sorry thought you meant the switch go game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Monster Hunter Stories is on sale for $5 on iOS atm, if anyone's interested. It's very cute, but I didn't dig very deep into the gameplay yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i mostly feel bad for the people behind the game, because outside the dialog it might be an okay to cool game. laughing among friends is harmless, but an internet-wide bandwagon can get out of proportion and sometimes ugly. negative memes can be hard to overcome. even if it deserves some level of mockery (and i hated the dialog from the getgo), maybe not days of finger pointing.

though idk if that means we as individuals have any responsibility to keep our thoughts to ourselves. idk, i just don't like internet punching bags.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

I can tell you that as of 2018, the ground beef had a significant amount of oatmeal in the ingredient list and even the "vegetarian" re-fried and black beans were made with pork fat.

Well I asked google, and according to the top result

"Beans do not fried in lard"

(what the hell happened to google?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

I know the pork was added around 2013 or so, shortly after I started working there. Maybe it was removed sometime in the last 4 years? I dunno, I don't talk to anyone from that franchise anymore.

I don't doubt your word, and I don't particularly trust a random dummy SEO tuned blog written in broken English. I've just been seeing more of that kind of result recently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have been playing a lot of Swtor recently and while I am in no way saying it is a better story or that it is better written than ff14, the actual mechanics used to convey the story to the player feels better to me.

I’ve never done any content past the class stories in SWTOR. Do the expansions compare favorably?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redreader posted:

I have so many games to play but I'm looking forward to trying how xcom 2 runs on my laptop so I can sit on the couch and play!

its surprisingly demanding

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm waiting for P5R to hit Gamepass (it's been announced) before finally jumping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I had similar internet issues, but Gamefaqs was a great solution. Because the file sizes were so tiny, I could save a bunch of guides onto a floppy when I had a few minutes of access to my dad's PC or in the library, and then access them freely on the ancient offline beige box I had in my room.

Fallout 2 and Civ 3 were mainstays on that pc because it couldn't run anything 3D accelerated (even though this was the 2000s).