Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A current event that went shamefully unnoticed in the July thread- July 25 was the 27th anniversary of the release of Bone Thugs n Harmony's seminal work "E. 1999 Eternal." Released to critical acclaim, the album was in tribute to Eazy-E, who was the executive producer of the album and died four months before its release. The album is notable for featuring bangers like "Tha Crossroads" and this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PArF9k2SbQk

Other Current Events
Everything still sucks
Manchin: still a fuckman but landed on the right side of an issue for once (maybe?)
Biden still got the Rona
Russia's still invading Ukraine
Friendship with COVID now over, now Monkeypox is my new best friend

Feel free to either doompost or just talk about excellent mid-90s gangsta rap here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Friendship regain with Corona

Now Corona is all your best friend too

Dusted :smug:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does the test have to be upside down because you're in the southern hemisphere?

Hope you feel better.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A current event that went shamefully unnoticed in the July thread- July 25 was the 27th anniversary of the release of Bone Thugs n Harmony's seminal work "E. 1999 Eternal." Released to critical acclaim, the album was in tribute to Eazy-E, who was the executive producer of the album and died four months before its release. The album is notable for featuring bangers like "Tha Crossroads" and this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PArF9k2SbQk
The only good thing Cleveland has ever provided the world.

In world still sucking news: An org I work with that has great soccer program to keep middle eastern/west African immigrant kids off the streets and out of gangs had it's soccer practice attacked by a gang of its peers last week, leaving one dead kid and one wounded kid in its wake. This country has issues.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RU propagandists making hay out of whatever's going on in Serbia

https://twitter.com/ivanastradner/status/1554077005938921472

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't even have an understanding of why Russian propaganda would be spouting that. Do they want another front to be war criming on or something else? I'm probably over thinking their lies in this case but I don't get how.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't even have an understanding of why Russian propaganda would be spouting that. Do they want another front to be war criming on or something else? I'm probably over thinking their lies in this case but I don't get how.

divide and conquer, and sow doubt

if they can get you to stop even for half a second and wonder, they're succeeding

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

divide and conquer, and sow doubt

if they can get you to stop even for half a second and wonder, they're succeeding

Russia's trying to set things up so more dipshits are forced to take their dipshit side in World War Dipshit. You'd have to be some special kind of stupid to hitch your wagon to Russia at this point.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Current current event: Pelosi is likely to visit Taiwan, which dramatically raises the likelihood of a PRC poo poo-fit of some kind. The likelihood of nuclear hellfire remains low, but has increased significantly since yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BonnieGlaser/status/1554160738599669764?s=20&t=oOivHT40yq-Z5U7RaAirGA

It's unclear what the admin's take on this is but the most likely reading I've seen is that they told her not to go and she's doing it anyway, so it also suggests some intrademocratic tensions around China.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Notahippie posted:

It's unclear what the admin's take on this is but the most likely reading I've seen is that they told her not to go and she's doing it anyway, so it also suggests some intrademocratic tensions around China.

Congressional leadership wants to assert itself as a coequal branch of government; White House doesn't like that. She's right to go.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm not a Pelosi fan but seems like the right call would be to visit as scheduled. Would be a terrible look to give into an authoritarian police state's bullying of a democracy to make an important political leader cancel a trip, and a major blow to US prestige as other nations in the region would worry about the US not backing them up.

If China uses this as an excuse to invade it was gonna happen anyway.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Mmm yes, lets just blow up a half century of functioning international diplomacy in order to make sure we dont appear to be acknowledging the sovereign status of the PRC that we have continually acknowledged previously.

What is the upside here again?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Grip it and rip it posted:

Mmm yes, lets just blow up a half century of functioning international diplomacy in order to make sure we dont appear to be acknowledging the sovereign status of the PRC that we have continually acknowledged previously.

We have never acknowledged the sovereign status of the PRC over Taiwan. I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm not a Pelosi fan but seems like the right call would be to visit as scheduled. Would be a terrible look to give into an authoritarian police state's bullying of a democracy to make an important political leader cancel a trip, and a major blow to US prestige as other nations in the region would worry about the US not backing them up.

If China uses this as an excuse to invade it was gonna happen anyway.

PRC vs. USA is not dictatorships and democracy, it's two world empires facing off like at any point in history before. At some level countries shed dimensions of ideology and just become empires ruled by a imperial nobility.

Ideology is for the individuals trying to survive underneath them

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Foreign Policy is not Nancy Pelosi's remit, nor is it Congress's.

Unless this is an official visit coordinated through the state department, this seems really dumb. It it is official, then it should proceed as planned.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If foreign policy isn't what Congress does, why does China care if Pelosi visits Taiwan?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If foreign policy isn't what Congress does, why does China care if Pelosi visits Taiwan?

A few reasons, she's a high ranking government official, also they remember what she did in Tien An Men

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A.o.D. posted:

Unless this is an official visit coordinated through the state department, this seems really dumb. It it is official, then it should proceed as planned.

Free association is a cornerstone of democracy. If she wants to go to Taiwan in any capacity, good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

"to regulate commerce with foreign nations"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

We have never acknowledged the sovereign status of the PRC over Taiwan. I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3172286/nixon-and-mao-handshake-turned-taiwan-towards-new-future

When we normalized relations with mainland China and closed our embassy in Taiwan that's exactly what we did, officially. It was a massively successful diplomatic maneuver that allowed us to work with both sides and peel off a USSR ally. All it cost us was officially acknowledging the position of the PRC as the legitimate government of all of China.

Unofficially we have maintained robust relations with Taiwan and do a huge amount of trade with them. This had been allowed due to the face saving official policy of the USA with respect to China and the PRC. It's also why Nancy Pelosi doing poo poo like this is not helpful, unless the USA government is seeking to change the status quo, which isn't something we should do lightly.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 1, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

A.o.D. posted:

this seems really dumb

Hey, a thread title!

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

lightpole posted:

I believe it's that we acknowledge that China claims Taiwan is part of it, but we don't recognize that claim.

Very nuanced diplomatic wording.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Spaceguns posted:

I believe it's that we acknowledge that China claims Taiwan is part of it, but we don't recognize that claim.

Yeah I think specifically we acknowledge that the PRC is the sole government of China and that Taiwan is part of china, but not that the PRC is the government of Taiwan. It's uh, very stupid.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah I think specifically we acknowledge that the PRC is the sole government of China and that Taiwan is part of china, but not that the PRC is the government of Taiwan. It's uh, very stupid.

We don't acknowledge Taiwan as part of China, we acknowledge that both China and Taiwan consider Taiwan as part of China and "hope for a peaceful resolution" or something along those lines.

It's the ultimate in diplomatic hair-splitting, but it's important because we're not saying Taiwan is China, we're saying Taiwan considers themselves China... which leaves the ability to change that position if at any time Taiwan decides it doesn't consider themselves China anymore.

We do acknowledge the PRC as the sovereign government of China.

Edit: this is what creates the famous "strategic ambiguity", our current policy doesn't address what happens if Taiwan declares independence, while at the same time making it clear the current policy is predicated on them not doing so.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 1, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Check your bingo card if you had “Amman Al-Zawahiri getting killed in a US drone strike in Afghanistan” and double check to make sure you’re not playing off of your 2001 card.

https://apnews.com/article/ayman-al-zawahri-al-qaida-terrorism-biden-36e5f10256c9bc9972b252849eda91f2

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Check your bingo card if you had “Amman Al-Zawahiri getting killed in a US drone strike in Afghanistan” and double check to make sure you’re not playing off of your 2001 card.

https://apnews.com/article/ayman-al-zawahri-al-qaida-terrorism-biden-36e5f10256c9bc9972b252849eda91f2

tbh I thought the whole "we will retain over-the-horizon capability" was just withdrawal cope bullshit, so it's a nice change to be proven wrong on this one!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Spaceguns posted:

We recognize that there's one country, but not who the sovereign of that country is, PRC or Taiwan. We also recognize PRC has sovereignty over the PRC.

Anyone that wants to ignore the nuance is welcome to but there is no difference between Taiwan and Ukraine. Pelosi can, and should, visit Taiwan.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Dude did you forget Newton as speaker visiting the PRC in 90’s? It’s been a little while since anyone as high ranking as the Speaker has visited the ROC but not 50 years.

I’m not sure how this will play out, but I don’t have any dread (yet), we’re not flowing a Carrier Battle Group into the straits with another one in reserve.

God I hope we don’t try that poo poo again. I’m convinced that’s how we’re gonna lose our first nuclear navy battle.

I’m not stanning the PRC here, but I feel like in 2022 the poo poo we did in 1996 is 100% what they’re prepared to uh… “deter.” If we had another Straits crisis (I think we’d call it the 4th and they’d call it the 5th crisis there…).

If Pelosi visiting Taipei is what sends the balloon up, it was going up on its own no matter what we did.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was too young to pay attention, what happened in '96?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Shot:
https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1554124682072293376?t=wTbEtvx5PijcLm_DYa4BQw&s=19

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/BryanLowry3/status/1554228612198535171?t=UDaO9a7Oj7PwDd6FQBIbyg&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1554238937379606528

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1554230550109380608?t=nUvtJ74kA9YQ80gbTG6e7w&s=19

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

How many of these nitwits can there be on Twitter, anyway

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was too young to pay attention, what happened in '96?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Taiwan_Strait_Crisis?wprov=sfti1

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Is it a meme to make your username a book recommendation or does that one change it every so often as a gimmick? I read Parable of the Sower because someone had "Read Parable of the Sower" as their twitter name and looked it up lol

might be the same guy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's effectively infinite.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Those millions are also spent so that Enlisted can play golf too!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Biden: Move Zig Of Great Justice!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

This is why the army needs slot machines. To take enlisted money and make places for officers to play.

(Yes I know enlisted play too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Christ, that's a mess.