Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Like the time that guy in DC totally folded himself into a suitcase and died of suffocation. Or the time a guy got so drunk that be bludgeoned himself to death. Definitely a suicide or accident.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/putins-media-czar-was-murdered-just-before-meeting-feds

I understand that sometimes it makes sense to bury stuff for intelligence/counter-intelligence purposes, but they really picked a doozy to blow off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

psydude posted:

Like the time that guy in DC totally folded himself into a suitcase and died of suffocation. Or the time a guy got so drunk that be bludgeoned himself to death. Definitely a suicide or accident.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/putins-media-czar-was-murdered-just-before-meeting-feds

I understand that sometimes it makes sense to bury stuff for intelligence/counter-intelligence purposes, but they really picked a doozy to blow off.

Who was president at the time.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

pmchem posted:

Unless things have really changed, I think you may be referring to a NACI / public trust, not a Secret. As far as I've seen, Secret still takes months and a regular investigation, although an interim can be granted before it's completed.

I was a medic in the AF and I had to get a Secret clearance. Only reason I could ever think of was that I theoretically had access to the President's medical records and poo poo like that. Otherwise, no idea, but I know that it helped me to get a job after I got out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We hired an experienced printer tech for my team and his loving secret took 7 months go through. No interim was given. Poor guy finished all the online training in the first few months then had to sit on his rear end and just wait.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm beginning to think I'm the only one here that never needed even a secret clearance.

Humvee TMs aren't exactly classified, however.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crab Dad posted:

We hired an experienced printer tech for my team and his loving secret took 7 months go through. No interim was given. Poor guy finished all the online training in the first few months then had to sit on his rear end and just wait.

Please pay me my salary to sit on my rear end and wait for tasks to come my way.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Way back when, all commissioned officers had to get a Secret. I presume it's because we dealt with planning, deployment timelines, etc. I honestly don't think it was more stringent than the kind of background check private companies can get today. There were some shady fuckers with bars on their collars.

I remember the COMSEC chief in my signal battalion frantically looking for an officer to hand the fills to when we went to the field. She had a tough time because no one wanted to sign for that poo poo and deal with it. It was like everybody skipping on a check at once.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

I was a medic in the AF and I had to get a Secret clearance. Only reason I could ever think of was that I theoretically had access to the President's medical records and poo poo like that. Otherwise, no idea, but I know that it helped me to get a job after I got out.

In the Army, it's common for anyone working in a company or battalion HQ to have a secret, because pretty much all operational information is classified secret.

Stateside, the computers and everything are kept in a proper SCIF, but that's obviously not easy to do in a tent or wooden shack on a FOB. Battalion consolidated all of the medics under supervision of the PA (despite our TOE having one line platoon), and thus they were all required to have a secret clearance, because every desk in the Battalion TOC had a SIPR and CENTRIX laptop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1565297115756204042https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1564818029388734465

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

I was a 4A0 that had to get one, but as we were usually the ones running the Readiness Section and MCC/EOC during exercises it made a bit more sense.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Honestly, this is a hilarious take.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought it was a parody account at first, I didn't realize congressional committee subfactions had their own blue check accounts.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one here that never needed even a secret clearance.

Humvee TMs aren't exactly classified, however.

I didn't have a clearance until I started building rocket ships as a civilian. It took 6 months just to get a Public Trust.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Hekk posted:

Please pay me my salary to sit on my rear end and wait for tasks to come my way.
I've had several computer toucher friends who found themselves in a similar position for half a year, pulling down respectable salaries while shitposting on Reddit all day and complaining about being bored. Meanwhile I was busting my rear end for 1/4 the pay :smithicide:

What I wouldn't give for a six-month paid vacation...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It gets better, that's Jim Jordan. He has a thing for looking away from obvious crimes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
En route air traffic controllers all get Secret clearances. I thought it was all controllers but I'm not entirely sure on that. Assuming it's because we're privy to presidential/VIP movements and some military stuff.

It got me TSA pre-check.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

AFAICT (not very far, I'm a lowly SECRET clearance haver) the handling of TS/SCI didn't change appreciably between my first deployment in 2014 and my last one in 2021. Obviously smart phones are excluded from the ER, and any of the typical locations on the boat that handle/generate TS poo poo. The one big change is you have to factory reset your phone before coming in to port (and yes, you have to "practice" by doing it during workups too) because The Adversary might use the chip that changes your screen orientation to track the ship's movement :rolleyes:

I think the one great time to be a Nuke is when radio or JOs gently caress up and mishandle that stuff, it's the one time they faced the same sort of consequences as we did when we messed up back aft.

I think the greatest irony of all this is that it might be the single worst security breach in US history, and I don't think Donny has a single loving clue what any of those documents say, besides they have the big beautiful color-coded "this is important" cover sheets on them.

The US does have a rich history of dipshit politicians divulging classified material, the one that springs to mind is the senator during WWII that told the press "the Japanese can't sink our submarines because they don't know how deep they can dive!" Which directly lead to a bunch of submarines being lost because they couldn't just dive to max depth below where the fuses on Japanese depth charges were set.

Having Radio get in trouble is no Bueno. They're supposed to hide you so you can get unfettered sleep.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've had several computer toucher friends who found themselves in a similar position for half a year, pulling down respectable salaries while shitposting on Reddit all day and complaining about being bored. Meanwhile I was busting my rear end for 1/4 the pay :smithicide:

What I wouldn't give for a six-month paid vacation...

He was depressed and nervous. Thought it was his fault it was taking so long and the company would look unfavorably on him sitting on his rear end so long.
Tried to confirm to him the company wouldn’t notice or care but that alone was exhausting.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A billion years ago in the 82d, Secret was needed to work radios, with TS supposedly required if you worked the ANCD. I don't think I had either; I know with 100% certainty I was required to sit in briefs that I didn't have clearance for. I've also been given verbal orders that I didn't do what I did.

My favorite was attending a brief where I was searched by armed guards before entering the briefing tent surrounded by mounts of C Wire, leaving everything but my ID. Inside, I was issued a single sheet of paper and a pen for notes- which were confiscated and sealed in burn bags. I was the only person below E6.
I had no clearance that I am aware of.

Another time, while wearing a sterile uniform, I accidentally walked into a briefing room that should have had the door closed, even if it is in a 'secure' area. No one stopped me from walking past the perimeter of PFCs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Today is September 10593rd, 1993.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, until this tweet I just assumed the FBI spread the documents around to take a picture. But after this tweet i'm fairly certain this is exactly how they found them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CainFortea posted:

I mean, until this tweet I just assumed the FBI spread the documents around to take a picture. But after this tweet i'm fairly certain this is exactly how they found them.

This

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That’s not my money, guns, and drugs! I never stack my cash next to my bags of cocaine with my guns in front. Ever!

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

Dumb basic civilian question about highly-classified docs - is it ever the the case that they exist only in paper form? e.g. perhaps written up with an airgapped machine (or heck, a typewriter)? And with an audit trail strong enough to ensure they only stay in written form?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ardiem posted:

Dumb basic civilian question about highly-classified docs - is it ever the the case that they exist only in paper form? e.g. perhaps written up with an airgapped machine (or heck, a typewriter)? And with an audit trail strong enough to ensure they only stay in written form?

Congratulations, you have personally devised a better system for handling SCI than everyone working in the offices of President Trump.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CainFortea posted:

Yeah that’s fair.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ugh I hate it when I go to print some classified documents and the default printer changes to MARALAGO01.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ardiem posted:

99.999% of all classified documentation is created and shared via computer. This includes massive files like geospatial intel (I did some switch upgrades at an intel agency years ago that were running 10G fiber to the desktop for this reason). Print-outs are only ever used for presentation handouts or theft of government secrets.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 1, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was never in but once volunteered to be interviewed by an FBI agent regarding a friend's Clearance to "work behind a locked door behindanother locked door". Fairly run of the mill questions with the exception of things like "Does he have a drug or alcohol problem?" and "Does he have any ties or sympathies toward terror groups?".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was never in but once volunteered to be interviewed by an FBI agent regarding a friend's Clearance to "work behind a locked door behindanother locked door". Fairly run of the mill questions with the exception of things like "Does he have a drug or alcohol problem?" and "Does he have any ties or sympathies toward terror groups?".

I had a buddy who joined the Army after high school, and I had an interview like that. My favorite question was something like, "Have they ever planned on taking over another country?"

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It is most assuredly not an FBI agent doing those interviews. It’s an OPM Investigator.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Also just a reminder that every piece of printed paper has nearly invisible watermarks that define when it was printed and on what printer.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Also just a reminder that every piece of printed paper has nearly invisible watermarks that define when it was printed and on what printer.

Isn't that what caught Reality Winner? Lol.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leave posted:

I had a buddy who joined the Army after high school, and I had an interview like that. My favorite question was something like, "Have they ever planned on taking over another country?"

"IRL or just in Paradox Games?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leave posted:

I'm surprised they give a poo poo about other countries, its usually violent overthrow of the US government that they're worried about.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't that what caught Reality Winner? Lol.

Yes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Biden's going to give a prime-time address tonight calling out "MAGA Republicans" as a direct threat to the US.

On one hand, water wet and this isn't exactly a shock to anyone, but I don't really see how Biden's going to lower the temperature or somehow peel off a significant number of the 70+ million who voted for Trump in 2020 by saying they're a threat to democracy.

Also, who's gonna make the next thread?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Why? It is only March 895th, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It is most assuredly not an FBI agent doing those interviews. It’s an OPM Investigator.

I don't know the difference there, but the agent was very polite, nice, and actually kind of fun to talk to.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Biden's going to give a prime-time address tonight calling out "MAGA Republicans" as a direct threat to the US.

On one hand, water wet and this isn't exactly a shock to anyone, but I don't really see how Biden's going to lower the temperature or somehow peel off a significant number of the 70+ million who voted for Trump in 2020 by saying they're a threat to democracy.

I'm jazzed for it. gently caress "lowering the temperature", appeasement doesn't work with fascists. They just see it as their enemies ceding ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Someone not using the android awful app.