Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I like my neovim setup because it's portable and I've tinkered with it endlessly so it is tailored to myself, but I can't recommend it over a modern IDE unless you find that tinkering process enjoyable in itself. I'm a lot quicker in it now, but there was a significant learning curve and there's still some bits and pieces I still need to iron out here and there that an IDE would totally sidestep, but also I can have like 20 files open with basically no overhead which is nice. Being able to open a full terminal in a buffer with a hotkey is also pretty convenient imo. This does not stop me from talking about it at work way too much, that's just part of the package apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i use vim and ale for p-langs or intellij for java

there are pros and cons to both, my vim config is 11 lines for vim stuff and 5 more for configuring ale, i get paid, who cares

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Vim is fine. Most of the people I work with seem to use it just fine without becoming terminal nerds that have an 8000 line config file that they have to share across computers.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Vim is fine. Most of the people I work with seem to use it just fine without becoming terminal nerds

I mean that's what you literally are if you make the voluntary choice to use vim

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i am not a nerd! I am not a nerd!
i continue to insist as i expand and turn into a Unix greybeard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

20+ years of vim, and my vimrc is only 5 lines, 3 of which were added just to be obnoxious

code:
runtime defaults.vim
set expandtab
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set softtabstop=4

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i also mostly edit config files and config management nonsense rather than code.

pycharm is nice when i have to write more than a quick script.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I would simply use the vscode neovim extension to get vim keybinds on top of actual ide features
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=asvetliakov.vscode-neovim

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a large arcane vimrc I copied from who knows where and I don’t fully understand it

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Asleep Style posted:

I would simply use the vscode neovim extension to get vim keybinds on top of actual ide features
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=asvetliakov.vscode-neovim

worst of both worlds

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
vscode isn’t an ide

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

vscode isn’t an ide

how do you define ide?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
insane dick energy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if you aren't still running the same hand-edited version of an emacs color theme since 2010 across a half dozen jobs and languages just lol

still works as-is without any changes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

emacs configs are like sourdough starters if you think about it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah except instead of eating some delicious bread you end up eating toe jam

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRWRsv1nhU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

akadajet posted:

how do you define ide?

eye test

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

how do you define ide?

by being a microsoft marketing person anxious to make it look like vs and vs code aren't two products doing the same thing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sweevo posted:

if they did nobody heard them

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who used to go sicko mode if you said anything bad about vim? Am I just imagining this? I swear I remember someone melting down about this in one of the earlier versions of the linux thread.

he is me

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Bored Online posted:

emacs style chording is bad for your wrists. i have no information to back this up

i do not think this is actually true except for dolts who never learned to use the right side of keyboard modifier keys

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I just mapped my modifiers in QMK so holding Caps = Control, Enter = Alt, and Tab = Windows, and chording is no problem now.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i just use a good editor instead of janitoring some piece of poo poo designed around a 50 year old keyboard nobody ever actually used

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ill go sicko mode on anyone who insults ed

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anything more complicated than edit.com is bourgeoisie decadence

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

just use dd and pull from /dev/random until you get a file that looks the way you want it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

anything more complicated than edit.com is bourgeoisie decadence

you misspelled edlin.com

matti
Mar 31, 2019

decadent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsZVqhaneo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

akadajet posted:

how do you define ide?

a text editor knows about the text of text files, an ide knows about the entire project and the concepts and structures defined within and how they relate, and provide tools for analysing and changing that structure, which are all integrated.

vscode is a very bad ide, or maybe a series of quite bad ides, or a very good text editor

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh so like emacs + lsp

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

a text editor knows about the text of text files, an ide knows about the entire project and the concepts and structures defined within and how they relate, and provide tools for analysing and changing that structure, which are all integrated.

vscode is a very bad ide, or maybe a series of quite bad ides, or a very good text editor

in practice (when doing c++ at least): vs forces you to define a project hierarchy separate from the directory tree which also double as the build system definition

It's completely unecessary for an ide to work in this way and this is extremely impractical

In practice on large cross platform projects you don't want to use the built-in build system as your primary build system because it's poo poo so you end up with another build system (cmake or similar) that generates vs' projects and solutions

you therefore may have build files to edit that may or may not be referenced by the projects and become annoying to find and work with from inside vs (i often end up running vs code on the side for this reason)

when it comes to "changing the structure" aka refactoring on large projects you are usually better off turning intellisense anyway and installing some third party plugin such as visual assist because the integrated poo poo is unbearably slow (as in updating the database is slow and for some reason slows the UI down, at the most awkward of times)

my experience of using vs code for c++ on personal projects (not as big as the ones at work but not completely trivial either) is just better (and ironically i do also use Microsoft's c++ extensions in vscode, they just work better there)

there is absolutely nothing that makes vs code any less or any worse of an ide than visual studio, but Microsoft needs to justify the continued existence of the later and it being paid software (rather than folding every remaining specific vs tool into vs code and putting vs out of it's misery)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

vscode is a bad text editor because it tries to be an IDE and because its made with javascript. both of these mean its slow and more of a pain to use. like it cant even handle clearing consoles properly so if you try to do the most basic thing like powershell scripting it fucks up and is unusable

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Zlodo posted:

in practice (when doing c++ at least): vs forces you to define a project hierarchy separate from the directory tree which also double as the build system definition

It's completely unecessary for an ide to work in this way and this is extremely impractical

In practice on large cross platform projects you don't want to use the built-in build system as your primary build system because it's poo poo so you end up with another build system (cmake or similar) that generates vs' projects and solutions

you therefore may have build files to edit that may or may not be referenced by the projects and become annoying to find and work with from inside vs (i often end up running vs code on the side for this reason)

when it comes to "changing the structure" aka refactoring on large projects you are usually better off turning intellisense anyway and installing some third party plugin such as visual assist because the integrated poo poo is unbearably slow (as in updating the database is slow and for some reason slows the UI down, at the most awkward of times)

my experience of using vs code for c++ on personal projects (not as big as the ones at work but not completely trivial either) is just better (and ironically i do also use Microsoft's c++ extensions in vscode, they just work better there)

there is absolutely nothing that makes vs code any less or any worse of an ide than visual studio, but Microsoft needs to justify the continued existence of the later and it being paid software (rather than folding every remaining specific vs tool into vs code and putting vs out of it's misery)

oh yeah vs isn’t an ide, it’s dog poo poo. jetbrains makes ides. I honestly didn’t know anyone ever used or thought about it ever

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

emacs has org-mode. Like emacs itself it's fantastic and powerful.... once you spend lots of time learning it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

emacs is my favorite blender frontend

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
emacs is many things: a blender front end, an operating system, a sink for excess greybeard energy

but being a good text editor is not one of those things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the org mode reference above another good example of the problems with emacs. it's an actual killer app that the emacs maintainers (i.e. primarily rms) hates. considers it monolithic garbage because it is its own complex ecosystem, thinks is should be exploded into a billion lisp fragments every user should wire together themselves.

lots of emacs dists trying to actually put something cohesive together, but ultimately it is an ongoing technical infight forever splintering making little headway.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

orgy-mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

first time I ssh'd into a machine and there wasn't nano I learned vim by necessity and never looked back

even if I wanted to use emacs it'd be impossible to setup on new machines 24/7