Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
OP seems like an idiot

pog boyfriend posted:

trying to fight the speeding ticket you got from robbing the bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pog boyfriend posted:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Another homegrown SA killing spree in the making. Guess if we see any news stories about someone getting blown up by a homebrew grenade drone we'll know OP figured how to do what he was asking GBS tips on.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Azathoth posted:

Also, to anyone reading this who may be trading such things via their PMs, per that post. Knock that poo poo off. It isn't now, nor has it ever been okay to trade that through the forums.

does jeff ever just like search user PMs for illegal things to make sure there isnt a big underground sex or drug ring lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Azathoth posted:

pretty much this. it's not funny and also reveals that they're knowingly being a dumbass instead of just bumbling into it, so it feels like it should be hit harder, not lighter for it.

On the other hand treating it lighter (than expected) did give us this qcs thread and especially this qcs post:

pog boyfriend posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In minecraft

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Minera posted:

does jeff ever just like search user PMs for illegal things to make sure there isnt a big underground sex or drug ring lol
We consider PMs to be private and even I as an admin cannot go in and see them (since I'm sure people will ask, just gonna head that one off). Jeff and I presume astral can get into PMs if the need ever arose but I am unaware of a circumstance where that has ever happened. If law enforcement or a court asked for it Jeff would presumably comply (not gonna speak categorically for him, maybe he wants to live life on the run idk he can make his own choices) but in terms of just looking around, no Jeff has been very clear that it would be a massive abuse of user trust and privacy and it's not something that he would ever do in the way that you outline.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Since you're here, was the 6'er a placeholder or did you consider the matter closed at that point? Given the admins' reactions in this thread, will you take those posts a little more seriously?

The probe was for a day, not a sixer. I don't do sixer placeholders if I'm going to hit for longer and I always put in "placeholder" as the reason. I have no clue why the op thought I only gave him a sixer for that post tbh. Based on the conversation in the thread and the PMs that we had, I concluded that he was trying to make a dumb joke and flew too close to the edge.

In terms of taking it more seriously, yeah I will. It was a learning experience on all sides. I don't like the "in Minecraft" joke especially because of the forums' uh... history, if you will.

I also saw someone else saying they hate the "don't do this probes" and I actually agree with that, so I'll be more clear in my reasoning from now on.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

In minecraft

*eyes narrow*

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I also saw someone else saying they hate the "don't do this probes" and I actually agree with that, so I'll be more clear in my reasoning from now on.

I disagree, it's much more entertaining having the suspense of a "don't do this" probe in the Leper's Colony and getting to click and see the post in all its glory without knowing what you're going to read

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

op is dumb but the mod response to him in the pic in the op is bad too

sure, go learn how to do a terrorism in pms, just don't post about it!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

this thread was just op's way of congratulating azathoth on their promotion to admin (in minecraft)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

op is dumb but the mod response to him in the pic in the op is bad too

sure, go learn how to do a terrorism in pms, just don't post about it!

Definitely bad. I didn't read the post carefully enough at the time and tbh I don't think the grenade part of it clicked fully. I took it as a dumb edgy joke about modifying drones to drop poo poo.

It got reported but Seth hit it with a probation before I could take the time to reconsider.

Mea Culpa. I won't make the same mistake in the future.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 4, 2022

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to beat up the mods and admins in Minecraft

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pandy fackler posted:

this thread was just op's way of congratulating azathoth on their promotion to admin (in minecraft)

as far as first "unilaterally applied big punishments" go, i'm pretty satisfied with this one

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

pandy fackler posted:

I know the mods involved just posted that they would do better but the admins have had a zero tolerance for that sort of posting for a while now. That should be something added to the 'new mod handbook' or whatever they get.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Bring it nerd. :black101:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know the mods involved just posted that they would do better but the admins have had a zero tolerance for that sort of posting for a while now. That should be something added to the 'new mod handbook' or whatever they get.

This is a good point. Coming from C-SPAM and having been modded not long after the Tiny Toes shooting incident, I probably have a quicker trigger on poo poo like this than anyone, as I think C-SPAM mods in general are hypervigilant for any kind of real world violence stuff. It's not something that comes up anywhere near as much elsewhere so I'd chalk this one up to them just not having had that kind of thing come up much so they erred in viewing it as a bad joke. It's understandable, even if it is something that yeah we probably need to keep a better eye on across all the forums.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

better craft yourself a stepladder first

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i just want to highlight this:

DiHK posted:

And that's a fine policy, just don't say the above and then turn around and say it's actually all about this bad punch-line. And don't say "you should know better" because I thought I made the jokey part clear by asking how to build things that I could just go out and buy. I mean, poo poo dawg, I'm an American; If I wanna strap some tannerite to a small flying object for shits and giggles I know exactly how to find Wallmart and a Tractor Supply.

which has to be the worst imaginable response to "stop posting about making murder robots". stop? why just tomorrow i could drive to the Target on 232 Effren Terrace and buy a Tinyhawk Mark iv which has a carrying capacity of

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
goldmine

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
mod this op

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Alex Jones making his entire text history invalid for admittance into testimony by adding "in minecraft" in the very last message.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

(craft)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The OP should be permabanned.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Minera posted:

Azathoth posted:

We consider PMs to be private and even I as an admin cannot go in and see them (since I'm sure people will ask, just gonna head that one off). Jeff and I presume astral can get into PMs if the need ever arose but I am unaware of a circumstance where that has ever happened. If law enforcement or a court asked for it Jeff would presumably comply (not gonna speak categorically for him, maybe he wants to live life on the run idk he can make his own choices) but in terms of just looking around, no Jeff has been very clear that it would be a massive abuse of user trust and privacy and it's not something that he would ever do in the way that you outline.

I can confirm that administrators do not have the ability to view private messages. Jeffrey values user privacy to such a degree that, long before I was hired, he even asked for permission before querying my ignore list to look into an issue with the ignore system. As you can imagine, PMs would be considered more sacred than that. I've queried for PM metadata twice: the first time was when someone reported issues with their private messages and I obtained the internal ID number (again, not the content) of one of their messages, and the second time was to proactively check if the recent link-spammer (see also: the gas chamber) had spam-PMed people, since I noticed they had the platinum upgrade before they were banned.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can he square the probation now?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

pog boyfriend posted:

Lmfao

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can he square the probation now?

id have to take it up to 36 days for it to square

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Azathoth posted:

:gas:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

goldmine now before the thread becomes fail

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Azathoth posted:

booooo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pog boyfriend posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pog boyfriend posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

pog boyfriend posted:

Also congrats on the adminship Azathoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pog boyfriend posted: