Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I think about this too. Has anyone reputable actually crunched the numbers on global crop capacity with and without industrial nitrogen fixation processes? Like if everyone had compost piles and permaculture tracts in their various domiciles could this produce enough viable crop yield to reliably feed the world? Organic micro-farms are cool and all but I genuinely don’t know the answer to the question on a global scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we produce many times the food needed to feed the world.

we just feed it to animals. most commodity grains grown are animal feed. there is more slack there than most people realize.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
some small amount of animal agriculture is probably still a net positive with processing stuff like bean pods, etc., but yeah you solve a lot of arable land problems by not eating flavourless garbage meat 2-3 times a day

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

What is the most proletarian plant? (it is the potato)

False, it's cassava

Works as both a guerrilla crop you can secretly farm in plain sight and as a huge carbohydrate staple crop

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder how many people we could feed if we brought back the buffalo and selectively bred/genetically altered them for docility, obedience, and meat.

Like, full on utopian-scienced them, and how much of that technology exists today or would be achievable shortly if we prioritized it.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we just feed it to animals. most commodity grains grown are animal feed. there is more slack there than most people realize.

This is definitely true, and certainly bad, but it doesn’t change the fact that most industrial agriculture is made possible by (currently) unsustainably energy-intensive nitrogen fixation processes. The question isn’t “can the world produce enough food for everyone (right now if organized properly)” it’s “can the world produce enough food for everyone indefinitely in a way that doesn’t require unsustainable chemical processes”.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

is that good posted:

some small amount of animal agriculture is probably still a net positive with processing stuff like bean pods, etc., but yeah you solve a lot of arable land problems by not eating flavourless garbage meat 2-3 times a day

counterpoint: beef jerky is really tasty

Vox Nihili posted:

False, it's cassava

Works as both a guerrilla crop you can secretly farm in plain sight and as a huge carbohydrate staple crop

all root vegetables are potatoes so wrong

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder how many people we could feed if we brought back the buffalo and selectively bred/genetically altered them for docility, obedience, and meat.

Like, full on utopian-scienced them, and how much of that technology exists today or would be achievable shortly if we prioritized it.

Why would that be any better than cattle?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
genetically engineered super-cows that photosynthesize

(c) me 2022 donut steal

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

its difficult to imagine a sustainable fertilizer for the population we currently have. pre-haber-bosch, we were on a fossilized guano-backed boom, and prior to that I believe was crop rotation? which isn't gonna cut it.

ironically I think that continuing current processes just with nuclear energy as the input is probably the most potentially sustainable option. or mass legume cultivation (like on the scale we currently feed to livestock) just as tillage

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JamesKPolk posted:

its difficult to imagine a sustainable fertilizer for the population we currently have. pre-haber-bosch, we were on a fossilized guano-backed boom, and prior to that I believe was crop rotation? which isn't gonna cut it.
Yeah, I said 1 billion because that's roughly where we got to without really starting to dip into new-renewable resources. Soil depletion could push that down further, but new knowledge in agriculture and nutrition might push it up again. I suppose the world hadn't quite "filled up" back then, so perhaps the capacity is actually higher, so maybe 2 billion if you're being optimistic?

Alternatively, we start treating civilization like we're a space colony and have cities basically function as a closed system, recycling every turd and body back into the system rather than let it pollute our waters with nutrients that gently caress up the local ecosystem.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheSlutPit posted:

This is definitely true, and certainly bad, but it doesn’t change the fact that most industrial agriculture is made possible by (currently) unsustainably energy-intensive nitrogen fixation processes. The question isn’t “can the world produce enough food for everyone (right now if organized properly)” it’s “can the world produce enough food for everyone indefinitely in a way that doesn’t require unsustainable chemical processes”.

not completely, but possibly for a very very long time with much much less meat consumption and better soil management practices

tokin opposition posted:

counterpoint: beef jerky is really tasty

some amount of livestock is good.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol progressives of every era grappling with overpopulation and re-inventing anti-natalism and eugenics

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

TheSlutPit posted:

Here's an interesting one about soil erosion rates in various spots around the world, categorized by how the land is managed https://ourworldindata.org/soil-lifespans

Good explanation on why "we only have XX harvests left!! :byodood:" stuff is a crock of poo poo but anthropogenic soil erosion is still real and bad and a solvable problem

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

Here's an interesting one about soil erosion rates in various spots around the world, categorized by how the land is managed https://ourworldindata.org/soil-lifespans

Good explanation on why "we only have XX harvests left!! :byodood:" stuff is a crock of poo poo but anthropogenic soil erosion is still real and bad and a solvable problem

Thanks, this is pretty much the exact thing I was asking about in my first post! I’ve worked on some smaller (5-10 acre) farms that claimed to be self-sustaining but I really have no idea how those principles work at scale.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

There's also lots of work being done on developing perennial staple crops. No idea how viable or worthwhile they are but the neatness levels are off the charts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_rice

I have a teeny plot that I was using for a crop of flax before my foster dog destroyed it, thinking of planting some wacky perennial wheat next year. In true american fashion there's a trademarked version of a perennial wheat called "Kernza", a local brewery makes a beer with it but haven't had it yet

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Ok I think gets you less than half-way, who else do you kill

e: is state mandated cannibalism an option

Anyone opposing the "kill everyone over 30" also gets got even if younger

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tokin opposition posted:

isn't that a good thing? are there other times when the threat has communism has lead to good things and can we use this somehow in other contexts?

depending on who you ask, environmentalists, malthusians, anti globalists etc, the Green Revolution was not a good thing

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

shrike82 posted:

lol progressives of every era grappling with overpopulation and re-inventing anti-natalism and eugenics

feeding a growing population has been the primary concern of every state throughout all of human history except for the industrialized west. do you think its because they were all eugenicists

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

what's the deal with these, second time i've seen this picture in as many days

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

What is the best kind of potato

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

What is the best kind of potato

take your pick.

i love taters and the idea that there might be an ancient type of tater kept around by some obscure Peruvian farmer that will save everyone from starving to death in the future.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Some of those shapes are wild.

I like russet, probably because I just had a giant baked one the other night.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the thing about stuff like livestock such as buffalos and whatever other animals is you can just let em run loose and go eat one when you're hungry. Just because they weren't in pens doesn't mean they weren't cultivated. Similarly the cow is kind of a big deal for a lot of places where you can let them graze on lovely rangeland and then milk them, you can be vegetarian and still have zebu.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
If you have to poop youve eaten to much

If you get hungry you've moved to much

If you have to produce more because of those two then you're stealing from the earth

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

the anwser is putting fingers in they ears while chanting slogans about malthusianism and 'distribution not production' op

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Obviously algae tanks are the future of farming.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Effort post:
This is something I have been giving a lot of thought to in the past few years.

Strong community helps so much. Both with physical safety, but also labor, food, all your basic needs. Amish people all coming together to build a barn in a day, etc. Neighbor farm with milk cows has excess manure that you can take to grow vegetables. One person's crop failure can be supported by their neighbors so they do not starve.

This year (or was it last year) my partner and I purchased 90 acres in a subtropical region where they are a citizen.

Long term plans(5-10 years):
We plan for solar + nickel iron batteries (non-hazardous). The batteries are heavy, and take up space (in a house it doesn't matter as much vs as in a car), so you just build a shed to store them. They can last 60+ years if well maintained, and uses an electrolyte of potassium. You can dump old batteries on your farm and its literally fertilizer.

A well, rain water catchment tanks, and a series of swales and small ponds for drinking water and irrigation. Sand charcoal gravel water filter for drinking?(not sure about that) Plan to stock the ponds with tilapia.

Composting toilets, and a septic tank for sewage. Reed beds using biodegradable soap with a grease trap, for kitchen and laundry waste water.

Set aside 10+ acres to grow sunflowers for the oil. Use the oil to make biodiesel for a small 4x4 pickup truck to be your transportation. Maybe an electric ATV for shorter travel distances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtj6ktUVjac

HAM radio, cell phones, satellite internet for communication.

Permaculture, food forest, agroforestry for our fruit and vegetable gardens. Integrating livestock to eat and clear weeds, along with their manure to fertilize. Fish that are in the ponds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEBelPUM8tA

e: I forgot, my in-laws have already hung up 20 bee hives in the trees. Can't wait to move there permanently!

What sort of magical dairy farm has excess manure? You typically apply nitrogen.
Re: water filtration, look up slow sand filters.
Why do you need composting toilets and a septic tank?
Thanks for the battery recommendation.

is that good posted:

There's also a bunch of land that's no good for crops but great for sheep.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

thalweg posted:

what's the deal with these, second time i've seen this picture in as many days

iirc that is a method of refining/concentrating phosphates, a key fertilizer (maybe it isn't phosphate, but still fertilizer related)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like the idea of eating seasonal fruits and veg, and more local staples. exchanges would be cool, too, to increase diet diversity and as like a food cultural exchange. meal services that focus on this could be good, too

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This is probably stupid and might not be the right thread for it, but I had a thought the other day:
Most trees planted in public spaces are intentionally male, so that the poors don't have any food to just go grab and eat so now they gotta go buy McDonald's fries instead of picking an apple off a nearby tree, right?
Is it possible to graft female fruit-bearing trees to the existing male trees, guerilla-style? Would the grafts produce fruit? Could I just buy a female tree and turn it into X number of grafts to sneak into the trees in the public park?
I guess what I'm saying is can we give all the trees sex changes to help feed the world?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I am not a botanist, but I think that it is fairly uncommon for, say, a tree to be male and thus not produce fruit. Your example of apple trees, some might not be self-pollinating but having a few should be enough. There are cherry trees that blossom, but don't produce (palatable and large) fruit. Some trees that make fruit become a nuisance because no one collects the (possibly unpalatable) fruit and it falls all over the sidewalk and road and ferments and has large pits and...

There are some park benches by me that have fruiting grape vines shading them. You can reach up and get some grapes.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Organic Lube User posted:

This is probably stupid and might not be the right thread for it, but I had a thought the other day:
Most trees planted in public spaces are intentionally male, so that the poors don't have any food to just go grab and eat so now they gotta go buy McDonald's fries instead of picking an apple off a nearby tree, right?
Is it possible to graft female fruit-bearing trees to the existing male trees, guerilla-style? Would the grafts produce fruit? Could I just buy a female tree and turn it into X number of grafts to sneak into the trees in the public park?
I guess what I'm saying is can we give all the trees sex changes to help feed the world?

urban trees don't have fruit because the soil is extremely toxic and nobody picks enough of it so the fruit just falls off and rots creating a biohazardous rats nest

loving over poor people is just a side effect

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ok so we just eat the rats then. gently caress.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
Picking up a fruit rat under the tree by my bus stop and crunching into it like a apple

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cuttlefush posted:

Picking up a fruit rat under the tree by my bus stop and crunching into it like a apple
pink lady or red delicious?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cherry rats taste better than apple rats and you can't convince me otherwise.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

A Buttery Pastry posted:

pink lady or red delicious?

jazz

actually probably red delicious because most of them are gonna be really mealy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Actually is there a way to safely eat urban rats? I was just reading Terry Pratchett and...

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Organic Lube User posted:

Ok so we just eat the rats then. gently caress.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/b...er%20organisms.

"Biological magnification, or biomagnification, is the increasing buildup of toxic substances within organisms that happens at each stage of the food chain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

tokin opposition posted:

Actually is there a way to safely eat urban rats? I was just reading Terry Pratchett and...

Anyone who dies from eating rats can be fed to rats and re-enter the glorious food cycle