Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

unwantedplatypus posted:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/b...er%20organisms.

"Biological magnification, or biomagnification, is the increasing buildup of toxic substances within organisms that happens at each stage of the food chain."

I guess TP dwarves have big livers proportionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Weka posted:

What sort of magical dairy farm has excess manure? You typically apply nitrogen.
Re: water filtration, look up slow sand filters.
Why do you need composting toilets and a septic tank?
Crazy enough, there are milk farms that haul out their manure, and hall in chemical nitrogen fertilizer.
No access to utilities, have to deal with human waste somehow, composting is best.

The world currently produces enough food to feed 10+ billion people. The problem is transportation, and getting people to eat "non-perfect" food. TONS of food is thrown out in the field every year because the cucumber wasn't perfectly straight, the apple had small bug damage, the cauliflower got too much direct sunlight and turned yellow instead of staying white, etc. Some farms only sell to one or two wholesalers. That wholesaler has too much lettuce this week? Farm just dumps the rest instead of creating large price fluctuations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TDfjbpSBE

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

thalweg posted:

what's the deal with these, second time i've seen this picture in as many days

Corky Romanovsky posted:

iirc that is a method of refining/concentrating phosphates, a key fertilizer (maybe it isn't phosphate, but still fertilizer related)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDJA4UvXLA

We do solution mining (fracking basically) to get potassium out of the ground. We dye them blue with copper to stop algae from forming as the pools of water evaporate so that we may harvest them better.

It was part of the green revolution.

Third World Reagan has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Aug 12, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rats have proven to be resilient to chemical and biological threats. By eating them, we shall grow to be more like them: cunning, shifty.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Third World Reagan posted:

I have a strong desire to grow but no car and live in a town home with limited space so getting dirt is gonna be a problem unless I steal it

Your city might have a community garden you can sign up for. If not you can always ask them if such a service exists.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

This is definitely true, and certainly bad, but it doesn’t change the fact that most industrial agriculture is made possible by (currently) unsustainably energy-intensive nitrogen fixation processes. The question isn’t “can the world produce enough food for everyone (right now if organized properly)” it’s “can the world produce enough food for everyone indefinitely in a way that doesn’t require unsustainable chemical processes”.

I think the answer is yes but things have to change and there needs to be coordination and there is 0 chance of that happening under a capitalist system.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Currently the west tops the world's charts for meat consumption and those cows take up a shitload of resources.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Hamburgr

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Currently the west tops the world's charts for meat consumption and those cows take up a shitload of resources.

beef is a war logistics thing too. if you’ve gotta feed an army beef is better for that than chicken pork mutton etc.

the time to break down a steer is much less put unit of meat outputted compared to say chicken and incidence rates of contamination are lower. it’s in writings about WWII supply stuff.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

americans will never give up their hamburger

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

beef is a war logistics thing too. if you’ve gotta feed an army beef is better for that than chicken pork mutton etc.

the time to break down a steer is much less put unit of meat outputted compared to say chicken and incidence rates of contamination are lower. it’s in writings about WWII supply stuff.

stop thinking about eating meat you amerifat idiot

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gonna order a hamburger

beef is gonna be cheap due to texas drought

at least for a few days

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

How much of a cow is butchered and sold to the medical industry

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
can you grow hamburgr in the streets

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

can you grow hamburgr in the streets

hamburger in the streets, cheeseburger in the sheets

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Crazy enough, there are milk farms that haul out their manure, and hall in chemical nitrogen fertilizer.
No access to utilities, have to deal with human waste somehow, composting is best.

That's wild about the turd hauling.
My question about your turds was why do you want both a septic tank and a composting toilet? Normally you'd just have one or the other.

Reported for anti american racism.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Fuksoks/status/1558830684545945600?t=sBIVznC_2rPr9Z0coseiag&s=19

Geez I don't know, working without pay on privately owned land in the name of someone else sounds more like feudalism to me

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
And we can make steel in our backyards as well!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/Fuksoks/status/1558830684545945600?t=sBIVznC_2rPr9Z0coseiag&s=19

Geez I don't know, working without pay on privately owned land in the name of someone else sounds more like feudalism to me

I presume they get to keep the food.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

unwantedplatypus posted:

And we can make steel in our backyards as well!

you can make iron ingots in your backyard out of farm tools

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

you can make iron ingots in your backyard out of farm tools

There is a guy who wrote a bunch of books about how to build machine tools from scratch using scrap aluminum, starting with a blast furnace + sand castings then moving to a lathe (hand-scraping castings to ensure bed flatness) and then mills and other cutting tools. It’s actually really fascinating how one can move from rough methods to precision tooling using only a few reference materials, such as a flat piece of granite. He cheats a little imo but overall it’s well within the range of a dedicated diy enthusiast.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I looked and it’s called “build your own metal working shop from scratch” by david gingery if anyone is curious

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

fish camps

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Is that what you call an anarchist polycule ?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Anyone who dies from eating rats can be fed to rats and re-enter the glorious food cycle

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

Chairman Mao, probably.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://civileats.com/2015/10/05/u-s-farms-becoming-less-diverse-over-time/
New Balk Map

https://civileats.com/2018/08/03/why-the-midwests-food-system-is-failing/

"To sum up: In general, the Midwest is using up a variety of limited resources and farming in ways that degrade its soil and water, while falling far short of producing the variety of foods we need for healthy diets. Not a great system. But there are hopeful signs that the region may be starting to change course."

They make a lot of corn and soy beans and neither is eaten by anybody. And corn is mainly used as ethanol.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I support monocropping but only if it's all indica

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

They make a lot of corn and soy beans and neither is eaten by anybody. And corn is mainly used as ethanol.

only about a third of corn is used for ethanol.

and we do eventually eat the beans and corn as meat. but yes we could be vastly more efficiently using farm land eating mostly plants

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

aquaponics is cool as hell and gets you plants and fish

i have a violent and deeply rooted hatred of fish but i assume other people will eat the tilapia and i'll eat the hydroponic potatoes (i will find a way drat it)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tokin opposition posted:

aquaponics is cool as hell and gets you plants and fish

i have a violent and deeply rooted hatred of fish but i assume other people will eat the tilapia and i'll eat the hydroponic potatoes (i will find a way drat it)
if you hate fish so much, why don't you eat them??

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm not big on fish either, but freshwater eel is pretty tasty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

if you hate fish so much, why don't you eat them??

i will vomit, have every time i tried

believe it or not but a red lobster in phoenix, arizona is not a good place to try fish for the first time as a kid

(cheesy biscuits rule and anyone trying to outlaw them will face my blade)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Looked into aquaponics briefly but IIRC it's tough to do if you live in a place where it freezes in the winter. Big in Australia though

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

TheSlutPit posted:

There is a guy who wrote a bunch of books about how to build machine tools from scratch using scrap aluminum, starting with a blast furnace + sand castings then moving to a lathe (hand-scraping castings to ensure bed flatness) and then mills and other cutting tools. It’s actually really fascinating how one can move from rough methods to precision tooling using only a few reference materials, such as a flat piece of granite. He cheats a little imo but overall it’s well within the range of a dedicated diy enthusiast.

Yeah the Gingery books are legendary and as someone obsessed with doing things "from scratch" it's a dream of mine to someday go through with it all

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

What's the most leftist type of melon?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Communism is when you trade ten awful carrots for five even worse tomatoes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tokin opposition posted:

Water melon

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the kiwano melon, because it is weird and horny.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Collie.

Anyway, i just had the best drat hamburger I ever had. It was vegan. Breeding animals is a mostly unnecessary step in food production, we should probably scale down on it.

But also, I like having a society why where not everyone has to make food. Like, maybe I could do something useful like building guillotines while someone else grows the wheat? Maybe some system where I get what I need and do what I can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

No but see if we kill all the diabetics we can all focus our lives on growing lovely carrots that we can trade back and forth