Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The Denver Film Society has been doing an annual event at Lakeside Amusement park near Denver that rules and every year I think it'll be the last.

Lakeside is an old, privately owned amusement park that is located in Lakeside, CO. Population 8. It's a scam town created by the amusement park folks to have more control and avoid getting added to Denver, Wheat Ridge, or Arvada which borders it.

Everytime I go to Lakeside, since 2009, it gets a little worse. The paint is peeling, lights burn out, rides go away and come back a few years later with some scars. There's a permanently abandoned ferris wheel midway through the park and a dock for boats I've never seen run. The attendants are over the top nice though. A guy I knew worked at Water World, a community owned water park that is amazing, and when he was trained they said "we want you to be polite, nicer than the people at Elitch Gardens but not as nice as the kids at Lakeside".

In late August the Sumner Scream happens. 21+, unlimited rides, unlimited alcohol. The first year the drinking was confined to a courtyard in the middle which probably caused most people to chug and ride and get another. By year 4 you could take your drinks anywhere. And good stuff too, themed cocktails, microbrews. I think a few years ago I had a redbull snowcone.

The event winds down as people leave as is typical for Lakeside. The first year I was the only person who wasn't going to make the cut for the last run of the Cyclone, and the young woman ahead of me pleaded to let me on because we were together. I had never met or even talked to her. We sat together on the wooden coaster and ran back in line to ride it a second time for the real last ride. We got married two years later. Just kidding, I never saw her again.

The whole thing seems like such a liability and yet it persists! It also happens near my birthday so I consider that my celebration, and I'm glad it's back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I haven't been to Lakeside since I was a kid, but I have very fond memories of the place. I regret not taking my kids before we moved, kind of. It was run down 30 years ago, I'm sure time hasn't done it any favors.