Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Disney/Pixar love putting bullshit villain reveals in their movies, and they're always worse off for them. In Frozen it was the goofy dad of the ginger guy, in Wreck it Ralph it was the mayor, in Zootopia it was the sheep lady.

Their best movies don't have true villains at all (Encanto, Luca, Seeing Red, ironically Toy Story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

HIGHLY object to counting Encanto among their "best" movies or even their "satisfactory" ones but otherwise agree.

Something bothered you about Encanto? In my opinion it's their #1. :raise:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I thought the music was bad and the plot needlessly overworked with a second act that completely derails the film.

The music thing is subjective so it's probably not worth getting into it, but I think the vast majority of other humans disagree with you on that one.

As for the plot, point me to a Pixar film that doesn't drag in the 2nd half and I'll point you to a film that I had no idea was made by Pixar.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Turning Red.

Eh, I'll have to rewatch it I guess. I honestly can't remember much from the 2nd half other than the finale, which probably means it was starting to get boring to me, but also could just mean I was very drunk (I know for a fact that I was at least somewhat drunk). I will say this one stuck out to me as an oddball for Disney, as they seemed to trust this director enough to just hand her the keys, rather than insisting she follow the typical format.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Also I didn't say Encanto (which is not, in fact a Pixar production) dragged in the second half, I said the second act (of three) completely derailed the plot with a pointless adventure into a sandcave to recover a macguffin that didn't actually move the plot forward in any way.

Oh, yeah that section was useless. Misunderstood what you meant I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I haven't seen Raya but considering how even the furries didn't latch onto it, I assume it must be pretty bad