Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
An octagon is just Italians trying to design a triangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol some Lecce fan did blackface to 'welcome' Umtiti

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Just huge lols at Mourinho and Inter this weekend. Top, top work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Spezia are really bad.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Spezia are really bad.

yeah, even Juve beat them

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol that was almost an insane howler from Meret. I kinda wanted that to go in.

E: actually that was Mario rui’s fault

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Good ending to the Juve game:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hello, Italian football fans,

I work near a local grocery store/deli called the Italian Centre. I'll frequently walk there to get a sandwich or an americano or pick up ingredients for dinner. On the way back to my office, they have what appears to be an old photo of their deli including a couple of guys hefting salami. I sometimes wonder idly when the photo is from - the Italian Centre dates to 1959, so I presume around then? - but then I noticed the city names behind one of the salami dudes. The Italian Centre keeps boards up with Italian football standings, and those are certainly football teams.

However, here's the thing: I can't find a single year in which ALL twelve of those teams were in Serie A at the same time. (I'm guessing that's Bologna on the top, but they're not usually the limiting factor.) It is driving me absolutely batshit trying to figure it out. I e-mailed the Italian Centre but no one's got back to me because it's a weird question. Anyone more capable than me of figuring this out?

Also please let me know if there's a Weird Soccer Questions Thread that I'm missing, but this seemed the most logical place to post this question.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This doesn’t help at all, but it appears that they’re in alphabetical order? Until Napoli of course

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hello, Italian football fans,

I work near a local grocery store/deli called the Italian Centre. I'll frequently walk there to get a sandwich or an americano or pick up ingredients for dinner. On the way back to my office, they have what appears to be an old photo of their deli including a couple of guys hefting salami. I sometimes wonder idly when the photo is from - the Italian Centre dates to 1959, so I presume around then? - but then I noticed the city names behind one of the salami dudes. The Italian Centre keeps boards up with Italian football standings, and those are certainly football teams.

However, here's the thing: I can't find a single year in which ALL twelve of those teams were in Serie A at the same time. (I'm guessing that's Bologna on the top, but they're not usually the limiting factor.) It is driving me absolutely batshit trying to figure it out. I e-mailed the Italian Centre but no one's got back to me because it's a weird question. Anyone more capable than me of figuring this out?

Also please let me know if there's a Weird Soccer Questions Thread that I'm missing, but this seemed the most logical place to post this question.

This is great and I love figuring this out. The team that is the real outlier for me is Mantova, who haven’t been in the top league since way before I was born (You may recognize the name “Mantua” from Shakespeare - that’s the translation of the real city name which the football club is from). Looking it up, they were only in Serie A for around 10 years in the 60s-70s. Foggia and Vicenza are also rare sightings in the top league these days.

Inter, as they will never cease to remind you, have never been relegated so you are right that it must be Serie A if it’s a league table.

If you’re looking for Vicenza at the bottom of the list of teams alphabetically, you likely won’t find them. For most of their history they were known as “Lanerossi Vicenza”, named after their principle “sponsor” at the time. The crest today holds on to that, you’ll notice the big red letter R takes up most of it.

So looking in those Mantova years I actually can’t find anything that has those teams all at once e either. The closest I got was 66-67 but Samp is missing. I’m wondering if that was a table or just a list of teams. If it wasn’t for Napoli at the bottom I would say it’s alphabetical.

Weird! I’ll keep looking later. It could also be a Coppa Italia thing since that would mix leagues. Maybe try finding a year when Napoli was in Serie B?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Albino Squirrel posted:

Weird Soccer Questions/White Whale thread could be fun

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I wonder if it’s just a menu with sandwiches named after clubs lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

lol this would be very good

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
whats for dinner? inter sandwich

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

trem_two posted:

You get spicy panini, regular panini, or veggie panini and THAT'S IT

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Spoiled if anyone else wants to figure it out

I think it might be a list of fixtures like the old Totocalcio game, which had 9 serie A matches plus some serie B and C matches:

Bologna in the pic seems to be next to Udinese Varese.

Also Vicenza is "out of sync" probably because it is "LaneRossi Vicenza" in the full name.

It might be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_Serie_A

E: it is, here is the full match day for Serie A, 27th December 1964:

For completeness, the serie B matches are:

Venezia-Reggiana
(Hellas) Verona-Brescia
Napoli-Palermo

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 17, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yes! gently caress yeah !!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:piss:

That’s awesome. I had forgotten totocalcio had/has lower league teams.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Very good detective work

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
now where am I going to get a mantova sandwich

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That’s incredible. Well done.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

canepazzo posted:

Spoiled if anyone else wants to figure it out

I think it might be a list of fixtures like the old Totocalcio game, which had 9 serie A matches plus some serie B and C matches:

Bologna in the pic seems to be next to Udinese Varese.

Also Vicenza is "out of sync" probably because it is "LaneRossi Vicenza" in the full name.

It might be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_Serie_A

E: it is, here is the full match day for Serie A, 27th December 1964:

For completeness, the serie B matches are:

Venezia-Reggiana
(Hellas) Verona-Brescia
Napoli-Palermo

Oh my loving God that is some amazing detective work. Also explains why there's some games out of order. Thank you!

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Udinese - Inter was great fun.

7 games and Inter have conceded 11 goals. They conceded 32 last season.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

hm. pooventus.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dilkington posted:

Udinese - Inter was great fun.

7 games and Inter have conceded 11 goals. They conceded 32 last season.

Inzaghi's insane subs were telling. The man is afraid of losing and is galaxy braining himself in to worse and worse situations. Big fan, honestly.

Doctor Teeth posted:

hm. pooventus.

Real fuckin terrible op, just total dogshit.

Hoping for a Napolol tonight but I think we're going to be outed as frauds without Leao in the team.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Real fuckin terrible op, just total dogshit.

i don't see how allegri can continue, especially with them making GBS threads the bed in the champions league as well. and a certain prickly german with a reputation for starting out well and turning things around just became available...

honestly i don't care as long as mckennie is fit and playing well and all those accounts that post poo poo like 2/2 dribbles, eyes emoji 2 long balls, 7.8 fotmob rating, etc. seem to think he was individually good today, so we/e

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
juventus are just sad. the bizarro commitment to allegri is strange but i guess they're poor and can't get rid of him

napoli milan 2nd half has been good

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

tbp posted:

juventus are just sad. the bizarro commitment to allegri is strange but i guess they're poor and can't get rid of him

napoli milan 2nd half has been good

We’re hoping he’ll figure out how to be 2017 Allegri again, op, he definitely has lost the plot tho

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Serie A is about to hit a cool milestone tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfDv35vJPHs

First female head ref for a match!

I hope it goes well.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Orsato is officiating like a mad man. It is gladiator school out there and Milan are loving it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:henget:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/supersonico1986/status/1578828326709317633

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ik its october but i think napoli can actually do this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tbp posted:

ik its october but i think napoli can actually do this

This is the best they’ve looked for ages, and it’s without Osihmen too. They have a much deeper bench than I thought they did at the start, and their market was insanely good. They’re certainly the team to beat.

That isn’t to say we haven’t seen this pattern with them before, but they weren’t winning every game by three+ goals at that time either.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Nobody’s really talking about Atalanta and Udinese, though I don’t think either will be fighting for the title it’s hard to tell. Udinese especially since I barely know who half their players are, let alone their system other than “when playing Milan give the ball to Becao because he scares them for some reason”.

Gasperini has shown he is very capable of a mid or late season meltdown, as well as being a oval office to his players, so they might fall apart quicker than Udinese.

Lazio are also up there and Sarri knows how to shithouse his way to a trophy. I don’t think they have the bench though.

Id bring up Roma but with Dybala out for likely at least the rest of the year and teams being able to just beat on Zaniolo (which means he’ll be out for 6 months) instead of just him I’m not sure they’ll be close to the top for long.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Id bring up Roma but with Dybala out for likely at least the rest of the year and teams being able to just beat on Zaniolo (which means he’ll be out for 6 months) instead of just him I’m not sure they’ll be close to the top for long.

*checks watch* we're also about due the nuts loosening on the wheels of the clown car that is Jose Mourinho

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

why can't they sack allegri? it's getting ridiculous

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tristeham posted:

why can't they sack allegri? it's getting ridiculous

Arrivabene was brought to stop Juve from overspending after the giant capital contributions that have been required. Allegri's salary is big. But, of course, it's interesting because it's not worth missing out on champions league next year and wasn't worth missing out on knock-out rounds this year. Those are both very lucrative and important for Juventus's finances. So either you pay the salary and fire him in the hope that whoever you're not paying for can do better (because they're certainly not giving someone else millions a year to come coach at this point) or you stick with him in the hope that the guy who won 6 scudettos can figure things out. Tough to see that happen at this point though. Because....
https://twitter.com/peppismo/status/1579903856003395585

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Udinese especially since I barely know who half their players are,

lol i had this exact same thought the other day

and dybala thing is a shame. i couldn't stand jose last time he was in england but him at roma feels like such a good fit to me i want to see them do well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

so is chiesa just perma-dead now?