Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i saw an anime called claymore. blonde lady who kills things, some kinda woman witcher or something okay. i watch a few episodes.

poo poo this is good. this must have a huge following.

nope. nobody gives a poo poo. i guess this is dime a dozen anime bullshit but hold on, every time i look up anime it's like kill la kill, one piece, whatever, i'm skipping through all these recs - is it just that people don't know about it? the reviews must be good. nope. the reviews aren't that good. pal i've read junji ito, i've seen bebop, i know the difference between good and bad anime and this is strcitly in the upper middle tier but nobody gives a poo poo.

and here i'm sitting thinking. what the gently caress. claymore is good. what the gently caress is going on here. nobody gives a poo poo about it.

i'm happy to explain why i think it's good but i'm also curious to hear about some animes you love that you just found by accident and nobody cares about for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Lots of people liked claymore. But also they preferred the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

claymore was pretty popular in its day honestly, but the animes 15 years old and the mangas been over for a decade, and the anime makes some changes that most fans of the manga didnt enjoy. and its not like yu yu hakusho huge or anything so its not the kind of thing that gets much discussion now that theres nothing new to discuss. like its the 280th or so most popular anime on my anime list, when you think about how much anime there is thats a pretty good ranking, and the score is pretty good too

like for comparison heres one of my favorite recent anime

blue reflection ray looks like absolute dogshit and the early episodes are really slow, including an episode-long fight scene that looks absolutely terrible and goes nowhere and doesnt advance the plot at all, but the characters are great and theres this really weird quality to the dialog that makes everything feel dreamlike and bizarre, i enjoy it a lot as far as moody magical girl stuff goes

'when i was a kid, my mom said she was going to get lightbulbs... but she never came back.'
'im sorry...'
'its okay. we got our own lightbulbs.'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Julias posted:

Lots of people liked claymore. But also they preferred the manga.

well it's not a fair comparison, the manga goes on much longer and they devised a truncated ending for the anime series. my point is i'm sitting here watching every episode like

theresa just got her head cut off
claire is so loving cool
absolute unit of best buds forming
turning against the organisation, one claymore joining the inner circle at the time
poo poo claire is even more insane than i thought
who's this crazy multi-tentacle demon now

etc

it's got all the elements of a huge anime boy fan favourite, and on top of that, it's got a 95% hot woman cast, with all these interesting dynamics going on. and yet nobody cares, really. it's like black lagoon level - which is another one i enjoyed, but i understand why people were like eh, bebop ripoff with no soul, even though some episodes were very good.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 20, 2022

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the problem with the hot woman cast is that they all look too similar and dont have distinct enough outfits / equipment, crippling the fanart community. this had tragic effects on its cultural longevity

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph mentioned Blue Reflection Ray already which is a good show that got me back into the franchise after I didn't care for the first game (Second game is also really good too) so I'll mention the other recent magical girl show that most people don't care about but should...Akanesasu Shoujo/Girl in Twilight. Ignored cause it's second and third episodes are kinda of just there, it aired during a season that had Zombieland Saga/Gridman/Bloom into you, it aired on Hidive in NA and it's 3D CGI for action scenes was...just there at first. But it's a really great series and the second half is probably one of the better late night magical girl show arcs ever

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Anything that aired before 2010, it's gonna be pretty hard to convince people to go back and watch it.

Like if you're a 20 year old anime fan you would've been five years old when Claymore aired.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one really standout element of claymore was the monster designs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Stexils posted:

the problem with the hot woman cast is that they all look too similar and dont have distinct enough outfits / equipment, crippling the fanart community. this had tragic effects on its cultural longevity

I think fanart is more a byproduct of popularity than the actual cause of popularity, except in super rare occasions.

Claymore is just an unfinished anime. Its really good, but ultimately doesn't really have a solid conclusion. I'm still hoping it will randomly get another anime one of these days. Maybe if the author's other work Soukyuu no Ariadne gets an anime and its really popular.

Shiki is a really good horror anime, although the really anime character designs probably made people avoid it since its not very popular.

Also, I feel like Crest of the Stars and Princess Tutu are both shows that are only popular in ADTRW. I've never really heard people discuss those shows outside of this subforum.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 20, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think fanart is more a byproduct of popularity than the actual cause of popularity, except in super rare occasions.
eh. i think having designs people want to draw leads to more fanart which leads to more popularity. like thats part of why touhou took over huge, people wanted to draw the cast. a combination of bad original art but very good actual designs. the actual thing itself didnt get popular, the fan content surrounding it did.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In a lot of cases fandom and fan content will draw people in as much as the series itself.

Anyway, um I think I might be the only person on this forum keeping up with Shadowverse Flame but it's good imo. It's probably not that unpopular though, just that a lot of the places where I go to read or talk about anime aren't all that interested in the genre of shonen card games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

eh. i think having designs people want to draw leads to more fanart which leads to more popularity. like thats part of why touhou took over huge, people wanted to draw the cast. a combination of bad original art but very good actual designs. the actual thing itself didnt get popular, the fan content surrounding it did.

Touhou is one of those super rare occasions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno, basically every mobile game gets a lot of its marketing out of having very drawable/cosplayable characters, too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The designs are definitely a hook for mobile games but the characters need an interesting hook/story for things to go to the next level or else you'll end up in the endless pile of failed or barely successful mobage instead of being the next F/GO,Granblue, Gershon,etc....

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I feel like Crest of the Stars and Princess Tutu are both shows that are only popular in ADTRW. I've never really heard people discuss those shows outside of this subforum.

Crest of the Stars aired on the Scifi cable channel back-in-the-day so it has scattered fans among the olds.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really love Planet With but whenever I try to talk about it/suggest it I get nothing.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Stexils posted:

plus it overfocused on fight scenes to the point where it hurt the character writing

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

donotpost posted:

plus it overfocused on fight scenes to the point where it hurt the character writing

arguably true on this point - there's some poo poo in claymore that i'm just like, no, at. mostly raki. but i do love the action, and i do love claire just getting that cold look in her eyes and doing murder. it's good.

but

all the stuff you guys are saying about it being bad ending or unfinished and okay - i don't really argree on the bad ending, i think it's a beautiful ending, but i do agree it's unfinished. literally the only thing i don't like about it is, it's clear the end of Book 1. but it's a good end to book 1.

but jesus christ so is every anime. so i don't see the point. so is everything. i just think the concept was so good that it really deserved a big fanbase saying hey

what the gently caress is up with claymore

the same way people say

what the gently caress is up with berserk

roomtone fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 20, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga had a perfectly fine ending. the anime had a filler ending where priscilla showed up out of nowhere and jobbed hard.

i still have mixed feelings about how clare was ultimately just a teresa delivery system, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked the anime fine, manga was better

but honestly I don't remember if I liked the endings to either. It's been a long while since I was following it. But I WAS following it every dang week.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

she was never the ultimate problem, which is what claire would have realised, so i don't mind that claire just fuckin killed her - althouh it would've been an ep 163 battle with no budget constraints

but they linked up and were all saying okay so here's season 2, the real enemy is the loving organisation right yeah okay bye thanks for watching claymore. that was the shallow part of the ending.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

when i was a kid i really liked beet the vandal hunter and rave master. though rave master was pretty big and finished and then the guy made fairy tail so not really that obscure. beet got cancelled though. as for anime that doesnt get recommended enough that i love, the ones that come to mind are grimgar of ash, brain powerd, and lady jewelpet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know how to explain to you that claymore is one of the most popular anime ever made op

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Endorph posted:

i dont know how to explain to you that claymore is one of the most popular anime ever made op

Came here to say Claymore was peak when it was airing, but then I remembered that was like in 2007 or 2008(I think) so it's definitely not the hot-new-thing in everyone's mind.

The other thing is OP: rating sites like MAL are good for seeing what's popular per season, but otherwise the score is meaningless. A bunch of people on the internet mostly typing "7/10 not enough fanservice" does not make it some rigorous peer-reviewed scientific journal of anime rankings.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It's the wrong series by that dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUlcE98z1k

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
OP, I feel like your point is relevant for a lot of media in general. Like, afaik Fraiser is a generally well regarded show but despite being a lot funnier than Friends to me I don’t see people talk about it nearly as much. Same with Parks and Recreation vs The Office. I feel like everyone here could probably come up with an example of [insert media here] that they liked more than [other thing that gets talked about more], especially with older stuff where, like other people have mentioned, there’s just not a ton to talk about besides “huh that was pretty good”.

Also, I got sidetracked while reading it but Claymore is pretty rad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

OP, I feel like your point is relevant for a lot of media in general. Like, afaik Fraiser is a generally well regarded show but despite being a lot funnier than Friends to me I don’t see people talk about it nearly as much. Same with Parks and Recreation vs The Office. I feel like everyone here could probably come up with an example of [insert media here] that they liked more than [other thing that gets talked about more], especially with older stuff where, like other people have mentioned, there’s just not a ton to talk about besides “huh that was pretty good”.

Also, I got sidetracked while reading it but Claymore is pretty rad.

There's a pretty big difference between how popular a thing is and how much people talk about it tho. Like the Fraiser episode with the lowest viewer numbers still had roughly 8 million viewers. That's a heck of a lot and that doesn't count reruns, dvds, or streaming! Plenty of people give a poo poo about Fraiser it just doesn't translate into a lot of online chatter.

I am fascinated by things that are quietly popular though (but I wouldn't call Fraiser that). To tie it into anime obviously MAL is an imperfect set of data because it's used by the type of person that wants to keep track of what they've watched, but it can still be neat to look at how things match up against each other. For example, in recent years Promare was a big movie that got a lot of buzz but wildly enough, on MAL more people have logged the movie Josee, the Tiger and the Fish (almost 120k for Promare and about 156k for Josee) which I would have taken for a niche movie in the west. For various reasons I think it's a safe guess that more people in the west saw Promare overall (it got additional theatrical showings after the first run did well, it's readily available streaming on HBO Max vs Josee which is currently only available as a digital rental on Amazon, etc) but I just find the way those kinds of numbers pan out kinda neat! Less about how Promare fared and more that it's a pleasant surprise to see that Josee was watched by a surprising number of people in the west considering it was an anime movie without a lot of hype behind it, so to speak.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if you filter for shows that aired before 2008 on MAL claymore is in the top 30 all time for popularity. it ranks above pokemon.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's tons of good 00s anime that people don't talk about much anymore op, even stuff that was popular. it's just how it goes.

claymore ran in a very deep and strong anime season:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2007/spring

and it's still the 3rd highest show that season by # of people logging it on MAL. ahead of Lucky Star, Dennou Coil, Moribito, several popular romcoms, etc. an actual 'forgotten gem' from that season would be something like Oh Edo Rocket or Shin Jeeg which have like 10k users compared to 620k on claymore

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

if you filter for shows that aired before 2008 on MAL claymore is in the top 30 all time for popularity. it ranks above pokemon.

to be fair this is because MAL started in like 2007 so anything from before the mid 00s has a lot lower popularity. also obviously you're only getting at a specific demographic with MAL and its not the target demographic of pokemon

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

thetoughestbean posted:

I really love Planet With but whenever I try to talk about it/suggest it I get nothing.

What's up buddy :glomp:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Crest of the stars is just an example of an old classic, that if it came out today would probably have fallen by the wayside alongside all of the other seasonal shows. People forget that the western notion of "old anime classics" is kind of artificially curated due to how fansubbers decided which anime to get translated and what anime licensors decided to bring on over and localize.

Princess Tutu however absolutely gets a lot of talk outside of ADTRW, especially in animation and magical girl circles. I wouldn't really call that one a forgotten classic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

and it's still the 3rd highest show that season by # of people logging it on MAL. ahead of Lucky Star, Dennou Coil, Moribito, several popular romcoms, etc. an actual 'forgotten gem' from that season would be something like Oh Edo Rocket or Shin Jeeg which have like 10k users compared to 620k on claymore
shin jeeg owns

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think amagi brilliant park is good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It was pretty fun yeah. Ended on a bit of a limp note though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I liked the way they concluded the Claymore manga.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I watched Claymore and I thought it was cool, OP.

Some cool things about Claymore:

* Sick rear end violence.

* Badass women who aren't sexualized.

* Randomly there are like three Claymores who are elves but like I don't think we ever see any elves that aren't Claymores, it seems to just be a world of humans and monsters, so it's not clear if there are elves elsewhere in the world or if elf ears are a potential side effect of the Claymore-ization process, and no character ever mentions anything about elves and the elf Claymores never say anything that would indicate an elf background or that they are anything but human so really I'm not sure if they are actually elves or not.

* Has a lamia.

* Basically witchers before anyone knew or cared about witchers.

* Actually made a dark setting without it being either hokey or too over the top.

* Seriously those ladies are just cool

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

to be fair this is because MAL started in like 2007 so anything from before the mid 00s has a lot lower popularity. also obviously you're only getting at a specific demographic with MAL and its not the target demographic of pokemon

It also means anything that came out in the 2007-2010 range have a major advantage on the charts, since they got a critical mass of users at the start, and therefore regularly gets new users who look for the best and most popular shows. It's why Code Geass's Sci-Fi channel run gets more users than Gundam Wing or Iron Blooded Orphans's Toonami run.

My Anime List is still defined by the tastes of late 2000s anime clubs, both naturally and due to people making armies of bots to ensure no newer anime will succeed in challenging their nostalgia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Of the top 10 most popular anime on MAL right now only two of them are from the 00s. If anything there's more of a recency bias there than nostalgia* since you have some evergreen holdouts that stay popular but also stuff that is still ongoing in anime form like AoT, MHA, and Demon Slayer.

*especially due to streaming not being a factor in the early days of MAL! I can't stress enough how that's such a huge factor.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 20, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You’re allowed to make a claymore megathread op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody talks about old anime or manga because they're old and most fans have seen it already op. unless they're like the really big stand outs i guess. this is like complaining that nobody has a strong opinion on demolition man anymore and it's a travesty that it has no fans