Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Azran posted:

Hey thread, got told to ask this here too so here it goes:

Cozy Grove? Not sure there's anything quite like that Tsuki one, it looks adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cattails: Wildwood Story maybe? It's pretty good, does have some (cat) combat though.

e: Ah missed the bit about no pixel graphics.

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles could be good perhaps, it's somewhat like Portia without fighting, but it does feel a little shallow.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 22, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK, decided my time is done with Stardew, here are some thoughts~

Want to parrot the previous post about crafting. That screen is definitely clutter. Also, I guess this is probably a more personal preference thing, but I vastly prefer dedicated workstations in these games. They just feel more deliberate. Which is one of the appeals of the genre in general. Here are the decisions I am making, what I am choosing to do today and how I have laid things out. Workstations fit into that. OFC Stardew does have all the machinery stuff still for post processing.

The farming feels a bit plain to me, but tbf that is true for a lot of these games lol. Like I know not everyone is going to want Rune Factory's soil mechanics but I love that stuff. But this does seem like its hitting more a casual vibe so yeah.

The community center is a really good guide mechanic for the game.

The characters still just feel flat to me. Like there is more to them at first glance and I seen people talk about the stuff going on with them but the actual writing to me just feels so... lifeless.

Anyway its still not for me. But I spent longer in the game than last time and I can actually see why people like it so much.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All the characters being super flat is exactly my problem with Stardew as well.
It's exactly why I consider Sandrock to be way ahead of every other game in the genre, because it actually characterizes all the characters in your town very well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah like as much as I like RF4 like, those characters, while I would say don't feel flat or lifeless, are ultimately just cartoons.

Sandrock at first glance has a similar feeling but there is just so much odd about them that isn't just cartoony but like genuine human weirdness.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah like as much as I like RF4 like, those characters, while I would say don't feel flat or lifeless, are ultimately just cartoons.

Sandrock at first glance has a similar feeling but there is just so much odd about them that isn't just cartoony but like genuine human weirdness.

Sandrock also has the characters do more stuff together and interact in a more "human" way. Your fellow builder runs around collecting stuff, the tree patrol go out to check on the trees and the water sources, the peacekeepers ride around town and the surrounding wilderness, families visit each other, there are concerts, speeches, donation drives, storytelling events, the church, and so many other little things that just happen around town to make it feel lived in.

Contrast that to games like Stardew Valley and you see how little the cast actually does around town. RF4 suffers from it a bit as well, but it helps a lot that the town is small, so characters do hang out together a lot, and they shout hello as you walk by. You see people doing things like fishing or eating, and families trade off shifts at their stores so that their counterparts can go out around town.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm pretty sure every single character in Sandrock reacts to every single main story event, and it's a long loving game.
They really went above and beyond with the writing in that game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sunhaven is on sale on steam, it's been on my wishlist for a minute now and is rated very postive. Anyone here play it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sun haven will give you RSI from spamming the space bar.

They make you walk abysmally slow and then immediately give you a dash move that you need to spam to get anywhere. Also your watering can upgrades only increase capacity not area or speed .

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Sunhaven is on sale on steam, it's been on my wishlist for a minute now and is rated very postive. Anyone here play it?

It will definitely amuse you for a while. I enjoy levelling up the different skills and I like the fantasy setting. The character art is all fuckin *hideous* to me and that was the main reason I dropped the game after my most recent attempt to get into it. I feel like it's a game that could be a lot of fun for the right person but I have never gelled with it.

For reference if it helps I love Stardew and Graveyard Keeper but have never managed to really settle into Portia or Sandrock.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I liked it but there are some dumb decisions like walking speed and watering.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Do everything you can to grind out to the watering spell as fast as possible. Also do not ignore scaregrows they can give you xp in other skills for harvesting crops and boost fishing and combat without you ever having to touch it. Sunhaven btw.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

It will definitely amuse you for a while. I enjoy levelling up the different skills and I like the fantasy setting. The character art is all fuckin *hideous* to me and that was the main reason I dropped the game after my most recent attempt to get into it. I feel like it's a game that could be a lot of fun for the right person but I have never gelled with it.

For reference if it helps I love Stardew and Graveyard Keeper but have never managed to really settle into Portia or Sandrock.

I like all of those games! Well I haven't gotten sandrock yet, but I enjoyed portia.

I'm using a controller to play, so my spacebar is safe. Wish me luck!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You know what, for all the poor mechanics and decisions in AWL, being able to name the gen 3 hybrid crops is loving cool.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
in other news, the Gollum game might have forever tainted the name of any licensed LOTR release, but against all reason i still dare to dream of this one being good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQQVGwzrj0

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Obenseuer rules and while I had originally thought it was going to have a new major content patch by now, it’s at least a solid half of a game on its own. I wish I was at my desktop so I could take some pictures of my downright comfy slum apartment. It’s a neat game in a neat world (also occupied by the fantastic puzzle/exploration game INFRA) and worth a look if the idea of renovating an apartment block and decorating your own space appeals to you.

That said, it is very explicitly a walled ghetto for the city’s undesirables. While nothing in it is an absolutel gut punch emotionally, it certainly isn’t Stardew in terms of upbeat comfiness.

Obenseuer *did* just get a patch, but it is not quite the 'major' patch I hoped. I'm sort of hoping that it'll be a dripfeed of new content (since I've blown through pretty much every corner of the existing game.)

Mostly I came back because I wanted to share pictures of my current apartment and workshop. For those that haven't played, everything here is placed with the exception of ceiling lights/switches, curtains, and the heaters. Those all come from different levels of wall upgrade. The rest is all placed and customizable.

My living room. The big screen TV is hard to fit in this tiny apartment and have seats far enough back! I actually blocked a bit of the entrance off which is actually shelves facing the other way with lots of tchotchkes stacked on it. I'm not sure if its my favorite, but its cute. I should have gotten a picture of it from the front.

My kitchen. I am still sort of organizing and rearranging, I want to make the pantry shelves look a little nicer and I think overall I can organize it better. The meat grinder, coffee pot, dishwasher, microwave, and oven/range all have recipes you can actively use. There's not a *ton* of point for a lot of it since you can basically survive off of candy bars, beer, and bread from the convenience store - but I guess this game mirrors real life in that way. Don't you prefer a homecooked meal? (And by that I mean cooking 30 sandwiches at a time and freezing them.)

The bedroom. I love the Grandma's House style wallpaper. Needs more bits of crap on the shelves, but I lined up all my trade union flags. (You get these from getting to the max level of the various skills in-game.)

The spare room/office. Sadly the laptop doesn't do anything yet, but they did tease a picture of a computer with a browser open on it, so maybe down the line. I have some fish in a tank behind me but I didn't think they warranted their own picture. You can raise and slaughter them for food! (But currently their recipe gives you max food and you'll immediately poo poo your pants upon eating one.)

Where the magic happens! This is my workshop. It looks shabby to me now that I've upgraded the basement to be much nicer. The makeshift tarp walls just end up blocking lights and I think I want to reorganize it a little now that I've expanded it as well. Notice my organized totes of storage on the shelves to the right! I'm proud of that. Wish I could label the totes.

Brewing and distilling! I don't have anything going right now because my basement was just under construction for a week.

My currently dormant growboxes. I have a rooftop greenhouse now and as mentioned just lost access to the basement for a bit so its all empty/turned off, but its a neat set up for growing tons of sugar beets for Kilju, or making turnip wine.

The chemistry station, where I can do junk with the weird mushrooms and extract yeast from mash to be fully self-sufficient in homebrewing.

So yeah! I didn't think the game presented the customization/decoration piece well enough, so I wanted to show mine off. It still wants for more of everything: Decorations, furniture, customizations like different wallpapers, flooring, etc, but there's still a lot of fun to be had if you're like me and enjoy decorating a space. I haven't even started working on my front and back enclosed porch/'bonus' rooms in my apartment. Mind you this is pretty deep into upgrading on an extremely long save- your place will be much much shabbier for a very long time, but there's a lot of 'charm' in those stages too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gorgeous stuff! I must do a proper playthrough of Obenseuer this year.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cool! I wish it had coop support so you could show off your cool spaces in game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The current playtesting patch just added maybe an hour or so of the next bits along the 'main' story and dropped a few super cool breadcrumbs for the way the 'plot' is going and it makes me hope they can finish it. Like INFRA, the game just has impeccable vibes.

e: You know, on top of making GBS threads your pants and then making psychedelic mushroom poo poo kilju, if you want, I guess.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SexyBlindfold posted:

in other news, the Gollum game might have forever tainted the name of any licensed LOTR release, but against all reason i still dare to dream of this one being good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQQVGwzrj0

I hope it's good, though the hobbit character models are really off-putting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kynseed had a big update recently that allows farm customization. I started a new playthrough on it and it's definitely gating story bits a bit more, a lot of families only move in after you do a community project to fix the housing.

My main issue with the game back then, and now, is that the entire concept of the Kynseed and generational play just isn't that core to the game. It's trivially easy to avoid giving up years and time doesn't really pass very quickly. The pacing is very off as well now because you can almost immediately become mega rich in the new version.