Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy here for the lols and lmaos https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063730/New_World/

New World launched a year ago on Steam as the second largest launch in Steams history (behind PubG) but then quickly tanked super hard due to it being painfully obvious that the game was rushed out the door too quickly. A year prior, Amazon Game Studio delayed the game for a year in order to completely redo huge parts of the game over again and completely change direction. It went from being a open world PvP survival/crafting game, to a PvE focused game with quests & hubs, and a very large amount of crafting focus. But the open world PvP is mostly gone now.

Not going to lie; the game is still a mess. PvP is hilariously broken and pointless, there is no point in taking part in it, huge rebalances are happening all the time so information is always out of date, and new content is always being added. Next month is New Worlds first major expansion, adding new zones, dungeons, the broadsword weapon, and a bunch of other hopefully good additions that AGS hasn't talked about just yet but will soon. Updates having been coming really fast, but it's backed by a game studio that is quite frankly super incompetent and has no MMORPG experience. An example of this is how they thought having separate servers in the year 2022 was a good idea, and with a player cap of 2000 players before you hit a queue. New World is supported via an entirely cosmetic cash shop, but the cosmetics are.... yeah.

There was also no PvE dungeon matchmaking and there still isn't, but new dungeons and new PvE content have been added, and more is on the way. The level 1 - 25 content is also getting completely revamped, and there will be a new focus on the storyline with cutscenes. AGS plan is to revamp the remaining 25 - 60 content, and the expansion should give us a good look at what they plan on doing here.

Game is averaging around 20,000 - 25,000 players during its peak hours, a huge drop from its 1.5 million at launch. AGS hasn't been able to recover, but they are also still supporting the game and do seem to be making sincere attempts at wanting to fix it and take care of the remaining playerbase. New World just isn't growing and that is a bad sign. I figure next month is its sink or swim period, if that expansion isn't well received then the game will be dead for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063730/New_World/ New World is on sale right now, it's $20 which is not bad if you just want a casual MMORPG.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
This thread should have stayed dead.

Also, the Brimstone Sands "Expansion" is one zone and one dungeon, not plural. The zone is supposed to be larger than previous ones, but it's still one zone.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

Seriously, don't even ask, Amazon is so staggeringly incompetent the only thing this game serves, is books about organizational mismanagement and funny stories.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

why the hell would you try to get people to buy this game you weiner

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

how much is amazon paying you op

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

why the hell would you try to get people to buy this game you weiner

Because I am a weiner.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As someone who's played lots of bad MMOs, I can confidently say this is an exceptionally bad MMO

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

Because I am a weiner.

Even getting this pile of odious excrement for free is a slap in the face, unless you are a total masochist whose kink is corporate incompetence through video games, stay away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think anyone on this forum is going to buy this game at this point that hasn't already. We are not exactly getting new members to this site ever. But I couldn't stand for the previous thread just being locked for bitch rear end reasons. We should have a thread where we can laugh at this bad game (and do you see any good games in the MMO subform? Spoiler: you dont), and maybe see if it gets better (it wont).

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
There were people asking and answering genuine questions about the game on the last page of the last thread so locking it seemed pretty dumb, thanks for opening a new one. Let the lols and lmaos continue (I’m weird and think this game is fun but needs more things to do at level 50).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah the last 10 levels were loving painful. the zones you level in are horrible and the quests are poorly paced and far apart. This is something needs to be a high priority to fix.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Hey Lost Ark is pretty cool, maybe AGS should just import more games

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

GaylordButts posted:

This thread should have stayed dead.

Also, the Brimstone Sands "Expansion" is one zone and one dungeon, not plural. The zone is supposed to be larger than previous ones, but it's still one zone.

The thread was never actually dead, just locked when the OP decided Disco peacing out meant it wasn't worth reading any more. It was still active!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thirsty Dog posted:

The thread was never actually dead, just locked when the OP decided Disco peacing out meant it wasn't worth reading any more. It was still active!

To be fair, Disco was producing more content that AGS for this game, so him stopping would be a blow.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I remember when we thought Brimstone Sands would be releasing in 2021

it's clear now that that whole tranche of datamined stuff that came out shortly after launch was "this is what's coming for the entire life of the game" rather than just its first year. there's still like 8 weapons, a bunch of dungeons and 3 more zones that we saw in there

I havent played NW since last year but it's pretty remarkable that once again the game's biggest problem is that it has too many players

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ASAPI posted:

To be fair, Disco was producing more content that AGS for this game, so him stopping would be a blow.

:rubby:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ASAPI posted:

lol, this is completely correct.

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer
I bought this, created an ugly character, got to the final battle in the tutorial where you face Tainted-Red-Undead-Captain and he bugged out to be a mere shower of red sparklies that were as confusing as they were unkillable. I could not go further. Restarted with the same results.

Requested and promptly received a refund from Steam. Playing Guild Wars 2 to satisfy my MMO ooly.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

the game is really bad, I wouldn't say anyone should spend their money on it, if you are only after the lol's and lmao's though I guess its fine

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

BadLlama posted:

the game is really bad, I wouldn't say anyone should spend their money on it, if you are only after the lol's and lmao's though I guess its fine

There are no lols or lmaos to be found within the game client since the death of Big Sausage. If you want to truly enjoy New World, the secret is to not launch the game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I cant get enough of this train wreck. The new servers that released had their territories purchased at record speed. A guild even hired a speed hacker to quickly purchase every territory available on Atlantis.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dont waste even $5 on this garbage the good drama days are long over and the game is a giant train wreck

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I would unironically tell people to play Uncharted Waters Online before this loving thing. At least they don't have to pay money for that. Let this thing die the the unmourned death it deserves.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Since it's a new thread, I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit and say there are good things in this game. The gathering is alright and the combat is decent, which makes PvP pretty cool. The drawbacks to this are, there are very limited PvP options (one OPR map, 3v3 arenas are really stupid, wars are very laggy, fluctuating weapon balance, etc etc) and there is little to no development in these areas. Rather than new modes or maps, they will just mostly reskin old art assets or adjust numbers/stats/perks to make the game "fresh" rather than something actually substantive. If you are really dead set on buying this game with the above disclaimer, take your time and enjoy exploring because there are some cool environments and honestly not a ton to do until you hit level 60 outside of like basic quests. Do not go into this game expecting it to get better because it's just not gonna happen. The only development in this game is to make it easier to hit 60, and then they are putting out a new zone where you can fight more monsters and do more questing. Greatsword might come eventually but by then you'll have done everything you want to do.

If anyone needs more details on the above, you can reference the previous thread, where Discospawn has gone through great lengths to point out the baffling decisions made by AGS in regards to just about every aspect of this game.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Since it's a new thread, I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit and say there are good things in this game. The gathering is alright and the combat is decent, which makes PvP pretty cool. The drawbacks to this are, there are very limited PvP options (one OPR map, 3v3 arenas are really stupid, wars are very laggy, fluctuating weapon balance, etc etc) and there is little to no development in these areas. Rather than new modes or maps, they will just mostly reskin old art assets or adjust numbers/stats/perks to make the game "fresh" rather than something actually substantive. If you are really dead set on buying this game with the above disclaimer, take your time and enjoy exploring because there are some cool environments and honestly not a ton to do until you hit level 60 outside of like basic quests. Do not go into this game expecting it to get better because it's just not gonna happen. The only development in this game is to make it easier to hit 60, and then they are putting out a new zone where you can fight more monsters and do more questing. Greatsword might come eventually but by then you'll have done everything you want to do.

If anyone needs more details on the above, you can reference the previous thread, where Discospawn has gone through great lengths to point out the baffling decisions made by AGS in regards to just about every aspect of this game.

TL:DR

Don't buy it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A guy I work with was telling me he was gonna check this game out again because he's "heard so many positive things"

Who the gently caress is he talking to? lmao, blowing my mind.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
They added new servers, one for EU, one for US east and one for SA.

Queues on EU prime time right now are depending on the server, if you are playing on Tartarus or Nysa it looks hosed. Barri and Abaton are looking pretty bad but not as bad. The remaining 3 servers look fine (if there is a queue it is a smaller one, Aaru is edging towards pretty bad though). All servers are locked for creating new characters and transfers except for the new one.

In US east they didn't lock the other servers, only Orofena is locked there.

Doesn't seem like they gave free transfers, so people are either paying to move to the new servers or rerolling.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 9, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarEternal posted:

A guy I work with was telling me he was gonna check this game out again because he's "heard so many positive things"

Who the gently caress is he talking to? lmao, blowing my mind.

Asmongold has been insisting New World is going to have a huge turn around and be really good.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

I said come in! posted:

Asmongold has been insisting New World is going to have a huge turn around and be really good.

He also thinks WoW is the pinnacle of games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

He also thinks WoW is the pinnacle of games

Yeah his opinions typically suck, but millions of people unfortunately take him seriously.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ShowTime posted:

I cant get enough of this train wreck. The new servers that released had their territories purchased at record speed. A guild even hired a speed hacker to quickly purchase every territory available on Atlantis.

Oh good, it's archeage MK 2.

Down to invulnerability exploits and a broken economy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Turns out, if you give someone financial incentive, they might look favorably upon what you want them to.

Wild, I know.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Seeing as Disco bailed, I'm just gonna continue to shitpost significantly less professionally.

https://imgur.com/a/t58W1je

The new EU server crashed and the rest have awful queues.

The trainwreck never stops.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I said come in! posted:

Game is averaging around 20,000 - 25,000 players during its peak hours, a huge drop from its 1.5 million at launch. AGS hasn't been able to recover, but they are also still supporting the game and do seem to be making sincere attempts at wanting to fix it and take care of the remaining playerbase. New World just isn't growing and that is a bad sign. I figure next month is its sink or swim period, if that expansion isn't well received then the game will be dead for good.

wait wait wait. so this game still has more players than eve online? :lol:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I said come in! posted:

Well he's the exact type of idiot to listen to that idiot so I guess I know where he got it from now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ded posted:

wait wait wait. so this game still has more players than eve online? :lol:

CCP is trying to speed run its collapse. The jump to $20 a month for a sub to the surprise of no one but CCP, caused a huge collapse in player numbers.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I said come in! posted:

CCP is trying to speed run its collapse. The jump to $20 a month for a sub to the surprise of no one but CCP, caused a huge collapse in player numbers.

How is it that I learn of this in the New World thread? Lmao

I mean, adjusting for inflation, it wouldn't be entirely insane on its own if not for the fact that wages in the capitalist world haven't gone up in decades

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Another new server for Europe opened. So they went from 6 to 8 in the past week. The one they added earlier is now also locked for transfers / creation, so only the most recent new server is open. They also increased the max player cap to 2500 in europe on all servers and 1 of the SA servers. I think increasing the cap is the way to go (if servers can handle it), 2000 just seems to low to support the gameplay loop trough player number fluctuations.

There are some reports of increased lag and also increased amount of bots. Which both make sense, higher player caps means more server load and more players means potentially more customers for the botting operations.

Seems wild to me that they are actually seeing growth. Yes some quality of life changes have been great (traveling and storage) but other than that meh. Still though +24.1% in August and +12.11% in September so far, which is not insignificant. So it seems like they stopped the bleeding at least, sales are working to bring new players in and some of the (upcoming) changes (+ streamer buzz surrounding those) are enticing others to come back apparently.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DaitoX posted:

Another new server for Europe opened. So they went from 6 to 8 in the past week. The one they added earlier is now also locked for transfers / creation, so only the most recent new server is open. They also increased the max player cap to 2500 in europe on all servers and 1 of the SA servers. I think increasing the cap is the way to go (if servers can handle it), 2000 just seems to low to support the gameplay loop trough player number fluctuations.

There are some reports of increased lag and also increased amount of bots. Which both make sense, higher player caps means more server load and more players means potentially more customers for the botting operations.

Seems wild to me that they are actually seeing growth. Yes some quality of life changes have been great (traveling and storage) but other than that meh. Still though +24.1% in August and +12.11% in September so far, which is not insignificant. So it seems like they stopped the bleeding at least, sales are working to bring new players in and some of the (upcoming) changes (+ streamer buzz surrounding those) are enticing others to come back apparently.

The sales and the new "expansion" is what's drawing people either in or back in. I doubt it'll last, the underlying incompetence of Amazon is still there, festering.