Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you wash new clothing before wearing it?
Yes
No
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Me: hell yes I do! It’s so freakin’ itchy if I don’t, and I’ve seen people just rip the tags off and throw something on and I”m like AAAAAAAHHHH and get itchy just thinking about it *scratches involuntarily*

A lot of my stuff is from thrift stores, though. You better believe I wash that poo poo before wearing it because no, thrift stores don’t wash clothing before putting them out on the floor. Sad, but true.

And although it’s not something I purchase frequently, if I buy new bedding, that poo poo’s getting washed for the same reason. Itchy scratchy sleep is not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

yes, who knows what grody things are on new clothing

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I know a guy who bought new bedsheets. He put them on his bed before washing them. When he woke up the next morning he panicked when he looked in the mirror. He had turned an unhealthy shade of blue. He rang an ambulance to take him to the hospital. The blue discolouration turned out to be dye from his new bedsheets.

The guy was married too, never heard if his wife woke up blue.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Only filth fetishists wear before washing

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It depends on what it is. Most things that are hand wash only I don't because I am lazy and want to avoid hand washing as much as possible. Dresses are another thing I usually will wear once before washing. But if it feels itchy then I would wash it first but I haven't had that problem with these things. T-shirts definitely are itchy though. The smell of new clothing also bothers me. I haven't bought anything from a thrift shop in a while but absolutely I will wash that before wearing, I think you could get lice or something if you don't wash it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Valko posted:

I know a guy who bought new bedsheets. He put them on his bed before washing them. When he woke up the next morning he panicked when he looked in the mirror. He had turned an unhealthy shade of blue. He rang an ambulance to take him to the hospital. The blue discolouration turned out to be dye from his new bedsheets.

The guy was married too, never heard if his wife woke up blue.

poo poo, I thought the dude was suffering from anaphylactic shock from an allergen on the sheets. Then I got to the end and lol’d. Poor guy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You Are A Elf posted:

thrift stores don’t wash clothing before putting them out on the floor. Sad, but true.

Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R. Kelly's sheets
(Piss)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't once with a shirt and got rashes in sweaty places. Don't know if it was from treatment chemicals from the factory or a fungal infection from the disgusting people trying it on before me or something, so always wash the loving clothes. Yeah, you might save some time, water and energy but you might also make it up again in ringworm treatment costs

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

No. My body is already more disgusting than anything that could be on a new shirt

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
yes

but mostly to be lazy. I can throw it in the hamper and make folding and putting it away a future me problem instead of a current me problem.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
OP ain't kidding about thrift stores, I used to work for one and our method for dealing with donated goods covered with literal dog poo poo was to hose them off (with like a garden hose) and put them straight onto the shelves/racks. Clothing got the once-over with a hand vacuum and put onto the racks. One time a guy bought an old jacket and found fifty dollars in the pocket. That's right, we didn't even bother to check if there was anything in the pockets.

Anyway, yes you should probably wash new clothing before wearing, but if it comes from a thrift store maybe try checking the pockets before you wash it.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I just recently read about the work experience of someone at a Victoria's Secret warehouse; one of the regular tasks when processing returns was collecting loose pubes off items with a piece of tape before repacking for sale as new.

I'll wash.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Yes. Even shoes, belts, gloves, Panama hats, ties, and watches.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No. Because it's new. Old clothing, maybe.

I once went into a charity shop where someone had put a buttplug in the inside pocket of every suit jacket. Don't know if they were fresh or used.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
drat that's one heck of a deal, free buttplug with every jacket

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No I just usually end up with contact dermatitis.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

if it's second hand yes i wash it because maybe a dirty man wore it

if it's new i don't. no point. whatever people think is on new clothes that is so bad has never even made me itchy.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Used clothing wash and dry it on high

If you can't don't buy it

It's bedbugs that's the fear, not cooties

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Spinz posted:

Used clothing wash and dry it on high

If you can't don't buy it

It's bedbugs that's the fear, not cooties

We are not talking about beds, genius. Have you ever seen a person wear a bed?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I have never washed anything before wearing it except for a lambskin condom once one night in Spain during a particularly sultry evening after a day of surfing and shooting guns at the docks

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

GABA ghoul posted:

Uh bedbugs aren't just on beds double genius

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

It's up to you

I buy lots of clothes from thrift stores when I buy clothes which is rarely. I go immediately to a laundromat and wash and dry them as well before going home.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
putting on fresh socks straight out the pack is a joy

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You're supposed to wash clothing??

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
no way man u can't wash these jeans, you'll ruin them

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Can't say that I do. I'm actually wearing some brand new, unwashed pants right now.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I wash everything except bagged socks.

I like the feeling of new clothes but have learned enough about the world to know someone could have spent a week wearing my shirt around the sweatshop like a diaper before I got it.

New socks are such a fantastic feel that I make an exception though I know somewhere there’s probably a bunch of sock slaves making socks wearing nothing but tube socks tied off to their wieners so they can stay cool.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I do. Clothing is packed for overseas container travel and treated with insanely gross chemicals to prevent pest infestation etc mid transit. I don't want to get cancer from a cheap rear end t shirt lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wash my clothes? and spread forever polyester microplastics into the water supply??? no thanks, pal, i’ll continue to clean them in my freezer.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

GABA ghoul posted:

Someone doesn’t keep up with the latest fashions.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

manufacturing processes are all so nasty, not to mention where poo poo goes between me and the factory, im sure everything new arrives coated in a fine layer of toxic waste.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Depends, anything with a crease in the wrong place definitely, black jeans only look good before the first wash anyway.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i don't wear clothes I'm a nudist

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

flubber nuts posted:

manufacturing processes are all so nasty, not to mention where poo poo goes between me and the factory, im sure everything new arrives coated in a fine layer of toxic waste.

tbf every single surface everywhere, and the air in every single place is all full of poo particles other hosed up stuff so :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

tbf every single surface everywhere, and the air in every single place is all full of poo particles other hosed up stuff so :shrug:

We're all gonna die, so why bother doing anything to try and extend the time!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Embrace the futility and wear the clothes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
When I step out of the shower, I am the cleanest object in the house. Any towel I touch only becomes cleaner after contact with me. Thus, there is never any logical reason to wash towels, Jerry.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I used to have this attitude but when Covid hit I upped my clean game. I have a lot less pimples and stuff and I haven’t had any colds in like two years.

Plus the way manufacturing you don’t know if someone straight wiped up a puddle of dioxin with your tshirt and shipped it because it was cheaper than environmental cleanup. Lots worse than poop…until we start making forever poops that stick to you forever.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

pixaal posted:

We're all gonna die, so why bother doing anything to try and extend the time!

now you're getting my philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

goatface posted:

Embrace the futility and wear the clothes.

Dehumanise yourself and face to loungewear.